Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5244998 times)

geekette

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #19170 on: January 28, 2013, 12:01:19 AM »
And today I was the special snowflake, as I took a better seat in the movie theater than the one allocated onto my ticket, forcing the actual owner to get an usher to ask me to move so that they could have their seat.
...Or at least, I would have been a SS, if not for the fact that the seating arrangement is new (it was best come, best served a in October), and when I bought the ticket I was specifically told that there was no allocated seating. As I was, I was a very confused patron led astray by the SS serving the ticket desk, who I guess couldn't be bothered to get me a seat 'in the back' like I asked and just gave me a random one.  >:(

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #19171 on: January 28, 2013, 12:05:13 AM »
A movie theater with reserved seating?????
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #19172 on: January 28, 2013, 12:42:06 AM »
A movie theater with reserved seating?????

This is the norm in many countries. In fact, I've never been to a movie theater that didn't have reserved seating (I've never been to the movies in the US, but I have in many European countries as well as New Zealand and Australia).

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #19173 on: January 28, 2013, 12:51:45 AM »
The movie theater near us offers a special 21-and-up "VIP seating" for some movies, which means reserved seating and you can buy beer and no kids!  I've never used it, because DH and I rarely want to see the same movies so we don't go much, but it sounds nice.  It's also very prominantly stated when you buy tickets (online or at a computerized kiosk) that it's 21 and up.

Which is why the group of teens at the Hobbit when DH went were so SS about not being allowed to attend that showing.  DH said the manager was trying to offer them seats at the next regular showing instead, but the teens were yelling that they should get their money back and get replacement tickets for free, the theater is being unfair, etc.

nuit93

« Reply #19174 on: January 28, 2013, 01:31:17 AM »
The movie theater near us offers a special 21-and-up "VIP seating" for some movies, which means reserved seating and you can buy beer and no kids!  I've never used it, because DH and I rarely want to see the same movies so we don't go much, but it sounds nice.  It's also very prominantly stated when you buy tickets (online or at a computerized kiosk) that it's 21 and up.

Which is why the group of teens at the Hobbit when DH went were so SS about not being allowed to attend that showing.  DH said the manager was trying to offer them seats at the next regular showing instead, but the teens were yelling that they should get their money back and get replacement tickets for free, the theater is being unfair, etc.

There's a theatre a-ways north of me that is strictly 21+, every time I go there is some family waiting in line who ends up having to be told that they can't bring their kids in--yes, even though they're showing a Pixar flick.

PeterM

« Reply #19175 on: January 28, 2013, 01:57:36 AM »
I was in an accident two weeks ago due to a SS like this. SS stops abruptly and for no apparent reason on an exit ramp. I slam on my brakes, move my car to the side as much as possible and guy behind me, hits me and pushes me into car in front of me. Which then, sped up and off and away, nowhere to be found.   What was especially infuriating was that the cops told me that they weren't going to look too hard for him as I and the driver behind me were 100% at fault, automatically, according to the laws of the state. Yes, the person in front of you can stop for no reason and if you hit them, it's always your fault.

This is the case in a lot of places, and it's a monumentally stupid idea. It's right up there with the various "pedestrian is never at fault" rules you get various places.

I got a lovely little lecture about MY responsibility to always leave enough room to compensate for someone stopping dead in front of me and someone hitting me in the rear so as to "save" the idiot in front of me.

I will bet serious cash money that the cop who lectured you regularly does not practice what he preaches. No one leaves that much space between them and the car in front of them under all conditions. Our society literally would not function if everyone did. You just use your best judgment and assume the person in front of you isn't a suicidal moron. Sadly, that's not always a safe assumption.

I'm reminded of a time I had a cop tailgating me late at night. Really, seriously tailgating me in a way that was incredibly intimidating and unsafe. I wanted very badly to slam on my brakes and see just how far that "car in the rear is always to blame" thing would take me. My car was an absolute beast, it would've been fine, and we weren't going fast enough to cause major injury to anything but the cop's front end. Luckily I was smart enough to decide to turn off into a handy housing development and let the cop get ahead of me.

I gave myself a few minutes to calm down and the cop time to get far ahead of me and then went back to driving home.  I came around a corner to a stop sign and there was the cop, stopped at the sign to my left, pointing the way I was headed. I waited, since he had the right of way, and he just sat there for several seconds revving his engine. I finally made my turn and he started following me again, still too close but not dangerously so. He finally let me go when we got to a major road. I really should've reported that idiot, but it wouldn't have done any good.

mmswm

« Reply #19176 on: January 28, 2013, 08:51:35 AM »
Those laws irritate me because it's impossible to leave that much space.  If you try, then you get cut off by people merging over in front of you. I don't know if it ever went through, but I do know there was a push a while back to change that law in my state, due to the enormous number of insurance scam accidents that took advantage of that law.  On the other hand, that law, in another state, saved me from an SS who really was following me too closely.  Somebody who was following me at 5mph (and in horrible weather conditions) should have been able to stop when I hit my brakes.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19177 on: January 28, 2013, 09:17:04 AM »
We have a cinema near us that has a few theaters that are VIP because they have very nice leather recliners in them.  They also do "Dinner and a Movie" date nights in them, and they usually show the new releases in these theaters for the first week or so.   The ticket for these (regular showings, not D&M) is the same price as any other theater and before noon you can see a movie in these theaters for $5.  It's awesome.

Once I did end up picking a bad seat but it wasn't a very populated showing and the usher told me I could move to an empty seat once everyone was seated.  Problem was it was a very long theater and the guy at the ticket booth just said "Back, middle or near the front?" I usually like to sit in the far back but upon going into the theater realized how many rows there were and once the previews started and it seemed like people had stopped coming in, I asked an usher if I could move since there weren't many people in there and he said sure.

I was chatting with a friend yesterday about cellphone users in movies and she told me the theaters she's been in (in eastern Iowa) cell phone usage during movies is NOT tolerated.  They will even put "plants" in there, an employee of the theater sitting with popcorn, pretending to be just another patron and if someone uses their phone during a movie the plant will show identification and inform the person they have to leave.

I was so envious.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
« Reply #19178 on: January 28, 2013, 09:37:48 AM »
I was chatting with a friend yesterday about cellphone users in movies and she told me the theaters she's been in (in eastern Iowa) cell phone usage during movies is NOT tolerated.  They will even put "plants" in there, an employee of the theater sitting with popcorn, pretending to be just another patron and if someone uses their phone during a movie the plant will show identification and inform the person they have to leave.

I was so envious.

I think I must have read this paragraph three times before I realised that you didn't mean something leafy and green...I either need vastly more coffee, or vastly less!

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #19179 on: January 28, 2013, 10:18:59 AM »
I got a lovely little lecture about MY responsibility to always leave enough room to compensate for someone stopping dead in front of me and someone hitting me in the rear so as to "save" the idiot in front of me. Apparently the idiot in front of me had no responsibilty whatsoever.

Did the cop indicate just how far that would be? Do you have to predict just how fast the theoretical idiot is coming from behind to push you? The first part, about compensating for someone stopping is reasonable, but factoring in being pushed when stationary is totally ridiculous.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

goldilocks

« Reply #19180 on: January 28, 2013, 10:27:31 AM »
Woman in front of me on a merge type lane, she pulled out then abruptly stopped at the end of the lane.  I was watching for on-coming traffic, and I thought she had gone, so I rear-ended her.

Okay, I know the law, and it's my fault.   I get out of the car and apologize, and the first thing she says is "This is the THIRD time I've been hit at this intersection!!!"

Okay, I know I'm at fault, but really - shouldn't she find a different route to take?

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #19181 on: January 28, 2013, 11:14:57 AM »
Woman in front of me on a merge type lane, she pulled out then abruptly stopped at the end of the lane.  I was watching for on-coming traffic, and I thought she had gone, so I rear-ended her.

Okay, I know the law, and it's my fault.   I get out of the car and apologize, and the first thing she says is "This is the THIRD time I've been hit at this intersection!!!"

Okay, I know I'm at fault, but really - shouldn't she find a different route to take?

Or learn that she shouldn't come to a full stop in a merge lane?
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Cami

« Reply #19182 on: January 28, 2013, 11:39:31 AM »
I got a lovely little lecture about MY responsibility to always leave enough room to compensate for someone stopping dead in front of me and someone hitting me in the rear so as to "save" the idiot in front of me. Apparently the idiot in front of me had no responsibilty whatsoever.

Did the cop indicate just how far that would be? Do you have to predict just how fast the theoretical idiot is coming from behind to push you? The first part, about compensating for someone stopping is reasonable, but factoring in being pushed when stationary is totally ridiculous.
Ha. I did ask him and he said, "That's up to you to figure out." The guy behind me and I just looked at him like he had two heads. The cop then huffed and puffed and said, "Well, you two are just lucky that I'm a nice guy and not writing you a ticket!"

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19183 on: January 28, 2013, 01:02:00 PM »

Ha. I did ask him and he said, "That's up to you to figure out." The guy behind me and I just looked at him like he had two heads. The cop then huffed and puffed and said, "Well, you two are just lucky that I'm a nice guy and not writing you a ticket!"

So..did the insurance companies agree with him? I've seen them go either way, depending on the laws of the state. A friend of mine was in a similar accident and the insurance company ruled that the entire accident was the fault of the person who hit her, so that person was responsible for the damage to my friend's car and the car that she'd been pushed into.

Shalamar

« Reply #19184 on: January 28, 2013, 01:06:56 PM »
I had the same type of Snowflake twice on the weekend.  Snowflake Slowpackgroceryus.

For the first encounter, the lady in front of me at the grocery checkout took her sweet time packing up her few groceries, putting on her hat and scarf, checking her phone, adjusting her sunglasses, etc. - all while my groceries were piling up on the conveyor belt behind her.  Until she moved, I couldn't bag my stuff.  This, of course, meant that the people behind me were delayed, to the annoyance of all.

Then, blow me down, it happened AGAIN the following day!  Different store, different lady, almost identical behaviour.