Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5239179 times)

exitzero

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #19260 on: January 30, 2013, 08:58:37 AM »
The girlfriend of one of our contracted employees rang my BIL yesterday. She asked nicely what job he was doing and when BIL told her, she proceeded to verbally abuse him for letting her boyfriend do a job which involved working with other women. BIL told her firmly (probably, I admit probably not very politely), that if he ever received another phone call like that from her she wouldn't have to worry, he wouldn't have any type of job. He also explained this to the employee.  Employee asked that BIL tell her if she rang again that he was doing his main job which does not involve interacting with any women.

Apparently, she used to wait outside the gate for him to get off work each day so he didn't talk to female coworkers.

Oy vey. :o
Wasn't there someone on here a few years ago who said that she didn't want her DH talking to other women at work, beyond the bare minimal needs of the job?
Sounds like someone I used to work with, Bill. This was in the days before cell phones. His wife would drop him at the train station, and when he reached his stop, he would RUN to the pay phone to call his wife to let her know that he arrived. Then he would RUN to the office (which was only about 1/2 a block away) and get right on the phone to let her know he was there. He would then call her maybe 15 or 20 times a day. (He was reprimanded over this, so he started sneaking around to other people's desks or the pay phones in the lobby, because his wife not ALLOW him to go all day without calling her).

One day a coworker was retiring, and we were all going out to a local bar to say goodbye. Bill called his wife to see if he could go. He passed the phone to me. Mind you, I had NEVER talked to this woman before. She asked me where we going, how many people would be going, would there be drinking there? Seeing as it was in a bar, well, probably. Then she asked if there would be women there. Seeing as I was going, and the person retiring was a woman, and there were several other women in the office, yup, I suppose. Then, NO NO NO, Bill was not ALLOWED to go.

Some guys in the office gave him a hard time, so he came up with a plan. He RAN to the bar, downed a soft drink, said "goodbye" to the retiree and RAN to the subway. He told his wife the subway had delays. He was very proud of his deviousness.

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #19261 on: January 30, 2013, 09:23:41 AM »
How awful.  Reminds me of my grandparents' horribly codependent and dysfunctional marriage. 

Ginger G

« Reply #19262 on: January 30, 2013, 10:16:00 AM »
THis reminds me of something that happened years ago when I worked in a rather upscale restaurant.  The patrons would pay the server directly, and we had to settle up at the end of the night.   4 teenagers came in and skipped out on the check, which was about $50.  (early 80's!!!).   The server would have had to pay that out of her pocket, but she managed to chase them out to the parking lot, got the plate number and called the police.

I had almost the exact thing happen when I worked as a server during my college days.  In this case, it was a group of about 6 college guys.  I went to the bar to get them a round of drinks, and looked up to see them all filing out of the door one by one.  I hadn't even given them a check, so I knew they were pulling a dine and dash.  How a party of 6 thought they could get away with this on a slow night, I'll never know.  I told the bartender what they were doing, and he runs out after them while another coworker called the police.  I went to the table just to make sure they hadn't left any money, but of course they hadn't.  The police showed up and managed to catch two of them.  We really wanted to press charges, but the next day their parents showed up and met with the manager.  She agreed to drop the charges if they paid the bill in full, plus a very generous tip for me.  We had also given one of them a free birthday Sunday (in hindsight, it probably wasn't even his birthday), and we charged them for that too!

weeblewobble

« Reply #19263 on: January 30, 2013, 10:42:33 AM »
A new one for me last night - SS Idontwannapayus.

I was leaving work right at about 5 last night, and pulled up to pay to get out of the parking garage (it's underground). I was second in line, right behind two guys in a red truck. The management of the parking garage has just changed, and we have new folks in the kiosk, so getting out has been taking longer recently. So, I wasn't too surprised when it took a couple minutes for the guys to pay.

But then it went on. And on. And on. I ended up putting my car in park, because by that time there were at least 3 other cars behind me and there was no where for me to go. The line wrapped completely around the building. At one point, the woman in the kiosk got out and sort of feebly flapped her hands at the people in line, but you couldn't see the end of the line at that point, and there wasn't anywhere for anyone to go. I asked her what was going on, but got no answer.

After another 5 minutes, she finally just waved the guys in the red truck through. I asked what happened when I was paying and she said that they just refused to pay. With the number of people backed up behind them, there wasn't a thing she could do, so she ended up paying their fee out of her pocket.

The guys in the truck were laughing and looking smug, knowing that they had the parking lady in a bind.

They need a new policy for if that happens again... which it will because they have learned they can get away with it.

I would think the standard response would be, "OK, then, I'll call the cops and give them your license plate number."

Dr. F.

« Reply #19264 on: January 30, 2013, 10:56:06 AM »

I was leaving work right at about 5 last night, and pulled up to pay to get out of the parking garage (it's underground). I was second in line, right behind two guys in a red truck. The management of the parking garage has just changed, and we have new folks in the kiosk, so getting out has been taking longer recently. So, I wasn't too surprised when it took a couple minutes for the guys to pay.

But then it went on. And on. And on. I ended up putting my car in park, because by that time there were at least 3 other cars behind me and there was no where for me to go. The line wrapped completely around the building. At one point, the woman in the kiosk got out and sort of feebly flapped her hands at the people in line, but you couldn't see the end of the line at that point, and there wasn't anywhere for anyone to go. I asked her what was going on, but got no answer.

After another 5 minutes, she finally just waved the guys in the red truck through. I asked what happened when I was paying and she said that they just refused to pay. With the number of people backed up behind them, there wasn't a thing she could do, so she ended up paying their fee out of her pocket.

The guys in the truck were laughing and looking smug, knowing that they had the parking lady in a bind.

They need a new policy for if that happens again... which it will because they have learned they can get away with it.

I would think the standard response would be, "OK, then, I'll call the cops and give them your license plate number."

Oddly enough, I had a chance to chat with the kiosk lady last night as I was leaving (I left a bit early, so no one behind me). The guys in the red truck work here, and park here every day. She was very offended when they said "good morning" to her that morning, and she ignored them.

I'm hoping they had some reason why they thought they didn't have to pay that day. The whole thing was odd.

weeblewobble

« Reply #19265 on: January 30, 2013, 11:06:03 AM »
The girlfriend of one of our contracted employees rang my BIL yesterday. She asked nicely what job he was doing and when BIL told her, she proceeded to verbally abuse him for letting her boyfriend do a job which involved working with other women. BIL told her firmly (probably, I admit probably not very politely), that if he ever received another phone call like that from her she wouldn't have to worry, he wouldn't have any type of job. He also explained this to the employee.  Employee asked that BIL tell her if she rang again that he was doing his main job which does not involve interacting with any women.

Apparently, she used to wait outside the gate for him to get off work each day so he didn't talk to female coworkers.

Oy vey. :o
Wasn't there someone on here a few years ago who said that she didn't want her DH talking to other women at work, beyond the bare minimal needs of the job?
Sounds like someone I used to work with, Bill. This was in the days before cell phones. His wife would drop him at the train station, and when he reached his stop, he would RUN to the pay phone to call his wife to let her know that he arrived. Then he would RUN to the office (which was only about 1/2 a block away) and get right on the phone to let her know he was there. He would then call her maybe 15 or 20 times a day. (He was reprimanded over this, so he started sneaking around to other people's desks or the pay phones in the lobby, because his wife not ALLOW him to go all day without calling her).

One day a coworker was retiring, and we were all going out to a local bar to say goodbye. Bill called his wife to see if he could go. He passed the phone to me. Mind you, I had NEVER talked to this woman before. She asked me where we going, how many people would be going, would there be drinking there? Seeing as it was in a bar, well, probably. Then she asked if there would be women there. Seeing as I was going, and the person retiring was a woman, and there were several other women in the office, yup, I suppose. Then, NO NO NO, Bill was not ALLOWED to go.

Some guys in the office gave him a hard time, so he came up with a plan. He RAN to the bar, downed a soft drink, said "goodbye" to the retiree and RAN to the subway. He told his wife the subway had delays. He was very proud of his deviousness.

At the first office I worked, there was a personality like this, Bob.  We worked in a cubicle farm, and mine was right next to his.  Bob was such a hard-nosed, no-nonsense worker, one of THE most respected people in our office, extremely competent and talented at his job.  But when his wife called to berate him over the most innocuous, mundane details of their daily lives (he forgot to unload the dishwasher/he wouldn't be able to get off 15 minutes early to meet her for dinner/he folded the towels wrong) Bob would turn into a spineless jellyfish-  "Yes, dear.  I'm sorry.  I'm so sorry.  Yes, I know, I'm sorry." 

It made me sick to hear her talk to Bob like that - you could hear her voice over the receiver all the way to my cubicle because she was very loud- and for him to placate her while she abused him. Not to mention the fact that she called 5 or 6 times a day, which was really disruptive to our work day.  It was really difficult not to be distracted by someone screaming at your coworker. Several of Bob's cubicle neighbors complained about the disruption of the calls and Bob was asked to limit his wife's calls to once a day.  I know for a fact that Bob explained this to her, because she complained about it at an office party.  She instructed coworker to take his cell phone to the bathroom and call her from there so she could call whenever she wanted.  and Bob did it!

Bob stayed at his job well past retirement age and we all knew why.  He didn't want to be home with his wife all day.  He was soon forced into retirement by a staff reduction, and immediately took another job to keep him out of the house during the day.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 11:10:26 AM by weeblewobble »

snowflake

« Reply #19266 on: January 30, 2013, 11:30:49 AM »

I hope BIL told Employee that he is NOT Employee's messenger service!
Indeed.
I don't think BIL should lie to the employee's girlfriend. I don't think he should tell her the truth either. I think he should tell her: "I don't discuss that." or "I don't give out that kind of information."

I once had a (male) boss with a very clingy boyfriend.  Boyfriend, besides being jealous of all other males, was afraid Boss was willing to sleep with women to hide his infidelities and didn't want him interacting with females either.  So even saying "Boss is in a meeting with Female Big Boss" would set him off.  I was instructed to lie through my teeth if Boss was not available.

It hit the point where I was sort of hoping Boss would cheat on Boyfriend.  I sooooo wanted to see Boss dump Boyfriend but I never did.  *Sigh*

MissRose

« Reply #19267 on: January 30, 2013, 02:43:56 PM »
This morning at work, I had a customer that called in that needed a service set up that my department also services.  She had moved to us from another company.  I explained the processes to her and what we can do to help her, but there were a few things she was required to do to make all stuff work right here. She was not happy when I explained things to her then she puts her boss on the phone who immediately screams into the phone "Its not acceptable!!!".   The customers then transferred their sales person on the line, I explain what I can do, and that the customer must do items A, B, and C themselves as we cannot do so.  Both customers still were irate and insistent that my group do ALL of the work they had to do themselves.   The salesperson contacts me and the person who processed the service request back a few times then the processor of the request had a doozy of a time with the Snowflakes when he called them several times, and even went out of his way (which he can do if he wishes, but does not have to do so) to get the customer side items processed.

At least the salesperson sent an email later after all was done, and copied our respective bosses on it (as me and the processor have different bosses) complimenting us for our work, appreciative of our help, and apologizing for the behavior of the Snowflake customers.

amylouky

« Reply #19268 on: January 30, 2013, 02:48:13 PM »

Oddly enough, I had a chance to chat with the kiosk lady last night as I was leaving (I left a bit early, so no one behind me). The guys in the red truck work here, and park here every day. She was very offended when they said "good morning" to her that morning, and she ignored them.

I'm hoping they had some reason why they thought they didn't have to pay that day. The whole thing was odd.

Hmm. If they park there daily, maybe they have a monthly pass. At my garage, if you forget your pass, you can sign the back of your ticket and give your employee number (it's a public garage but our company reserves so many spaces), and not have to pay.
I'm wondering if it was that kind of situation, and the new parking lady didn't know the situation. I generally don't carry cash on me, so if I'd been caught in the exit lane when I forgot my pass, with someone who didn't know about the sign the ticket thing, I'd have pretty much had no way to pay either.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #19269 on: January 30, 2013, 02:54:43 PM »
Even if that was the situation, the solution is not to hold all the other people hostage until you were allowed to park for free. Go and find a bank, and get some cash, then return.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #19270 on: January 30, 2013, 03:07:12 PM »
On disliking flash mobs: I figure that, unless I'm on my way to the Emergency Department, I can afford a few minutes in order for there to be a little more beauty in the world. My personal convenience isn't the only thing that matters.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #19271 on: January 30, 2013, 04:02:58 PM »
On disliking flash mobs: I figure that, unless I'm on my way to the Emergency Department, I can afford a few minutes in order for there to be a little more beauty in the world. My personal convenience isn't the only thing that matters.

One person's beauty is another person's reason they got fired for lateness, or just had a much longer commute because they couldn't make their train. I don't think that it's necessary for a flash mob to interfere with people who have placed to go and things to do.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

thedudeabides

« Reply #19272 on: January 30, 2013, 05:09:05 PM »

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  I don't care that much one way or the other about flash mobs, but I really hate the argument that if someone doesn't like them, it's because they don't take the time to appreciate the finer things in life and/or need to lighten up.  It's condescending.

snowfire

« Reply #19273 on: January 30, 2013, 05:44:12 PM »
I saw a rampaging SS of the parking persuasion today.  I do my workouts at the Y and they have a HUGE parking lot.  The only time I have seen it full is when there is a huge swim meet.  Today the Special Snowflake had parked their pickup truck up on the grass at the end of the row of spaced.  They had backed up over a curb and between two trees in order to park there.  Yes, we have some snow on the ground but the curb is plainly visible, and is painted red for a fire lane as well.  Also, since we are having a thaw, the ground is very soft and they left huge deep ruts in the grass.

Bonus points, I think that they had tried it on the other end of the row as well, but just couldn't fit their truck between the trees.  My guess is based on the wide, 6 foot long tire ruts in the grass on THAT side as well.  All to save them from having to walk an extra 50 - 100 feet....when they are going to the gym.  >:(

I did report them at the front desk.  I sincerely hope that they get hit with a monster fine.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #19274 on: January 30, 2013, 05:59:32 PM »
http://abcnews.go.com/US/student-wins-stalking-order-overly-involved-parents/story?id=18080707

A 21 yo student got a restraining order after her parents went to the university and told them she was mentally ill, playing scrabble with many people, and using drugs.

I think the real problem was she was pulling away. At one point she says she was required to leave skype on overnight so they could make sure she was asleep and not out partying. Creepy.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future