Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 4399540 times)

Carotte

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #19275 on: January 30, 2013, 06:04:15 PM »
On disliking flash mobs: I figure that, unless I'm on my way to the Emergency Department, I can afford a few minutes in order for there to be a little more beauty in the world. My personal convenience isn't the only thing that matters.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  I don't care that much one way or the other about flash mobs, but I really hate the argument that if someone doesn't like them, it's because they don't take the time to appreciate the finer things in life and/or need to lighten up.  It's condescending.

A bit on the side of taking time to appreciate the finer things, that's what I tell myself and others when it's mentioned. Like the time a famous Y-instrument player played in a train station, for free, and 5 people stopped to listen, even tho he's really successfull and really well paid.
Well, it's a train station! people are rushing from or to, don't want to be late, are on a schedule. So unless you get there really early, are waiting for someone or have time to spare you just can't wait.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #19276 on: January 30, 2013, 06:18:30 PM »
On disliking flash mobs: I figure that, unless I'm on my way to the Emergency Department, I can afford a few minutes in order for there to be a little more beauty in the world. My personal convenience isn't the only thing that matters.

One person's beauty is another person's reason they got fired for lateness, or just had a much longer commute because they couldn't make their train. I don't think that it's necessary for a flash mob to interfere with people who have placed to go and things to do.

If your schedule is so tight that a 5-10 minute delay will get you fired, then there's something wrong that has nothing to do with a flash mob. Would you get fired if there was an accident on the highway that caused a 5-10 minute delay? Sorry, but the "I could get fired" is a red herring. Nobody's life is so perfectly synchronized that the unexpected, whether a flash mob or a flash flood, doesn't happen.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19277 on: January 30, 2013, 06:19:09 PM »
This morning, I was leaving my brother's place to come home after spending a couple of days for some work training.  There were reports on the radio that the highway was closed but my brother thought it was in a spot that I could get around and get home.  I knew as soon as I got out of the city that the roads would be fine.  So I headed out.  And pulled up to the police barricade not too far south of town.  The guy in the truck in front of me was talking to the cop.  I couldn't hear him but I could hear the cop.  'Does it look like I'm kidding?'  And then in an angry voice, 'Turn around.' About 3 times.  So I gather pick-up guy was trying to get the cop to let him go through the barricade.

So the cop wasn't very friendly to me when I asked him if there was any way I'd get to home city today.

Turns out, every provincial highway in and out of the city was closed due to flooding.  It didn't get as warm as it was supposed to so the rain that fell couldn't work its way under the snow pack because the snow pack wasn't melting.  They opened the highway at 12:30 and I made a break for it!  With the predicted snow, I wouldn't have gotten home until Friday if I hadn't left when I did.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Tea Drinker

« Reply #19278 on: January 30, 2013, 06:42:22 PM »

One person's beauty is another person's reason they got fired for lateness, or just had a much longer commute because they couldn't make their train. I don't think that it's necessary for a flash mob to interfere with people who have placed to go and things to do.

If your schedule is so tight that a 5-10 minute delay will get you fired, then there's something wrong that has nothing to do with a flash mob. Would you get fired if there was an accident on the highway that caused a 5-10 minute delay? Sorry, but the "I could get fired" is a red herring. Nobody's life is so perfectly synchronized that the unexpected, whether a flash mob or a flash flood, doesn't happen.

I think that argument goes either way: it's people whose lives are well synchronized who are most likely to be able to spare 5-10 minutes to listen to a busker, or watch a hawk hunting in the park, and not mind being delayed by a flash mob. People who are over-scheduled, or have already run into one unexpected delay, are less likely to have the time to spare.

I try to build in some time for delays, but not an infinite amount, because I don't really want to spend all my free time on train platforms, in the gate areas of airport terminals, and the like. If I have a long delay getting through security, I may not have time to get a sandwich before boarding the plane. That's a risk I'm prepared to take, in part because I need to get through security; I need to get to the airport before doing so; and I very much want a cup of tea and a bite to eat before leaving for the airport. If other things go smoothly, then I have the spare time and can listen to a busker, if I like their performance; if not, I may run down the ramp to the platform and barely get onto the train before it pulls out.

Yes, it's a matter of priorities. I agree that someone else's medical emergency trumps most of the things in my life. Someone else's entertainment preferences don't. It is no more polite for a stranger to say "you can't get to your train until we finish this impromptu performance" than for them to insist that I entertain them with conversation on the train when I would rather read a novel.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Rohanna

« Reply #19279 on: January 30, 2013, 08:10:48 PM »
I've encountered multiple buskers with crowds around them, and have actually run into tow flash mobs (dancers in NYC and a student acting group in toronto Union) - in both cases it was perfect possible to walk around them and the crowd with no more problem than walking around a standard train-offloading or rush-hour crowd. If they were blocking exits to the point of a "ten minute" delay, the true fault lies with security (or the lack of it) for not making sure that people could still come and go by clearing out the flash mob if necessary.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

mmswm

« Reply #19280 on: January 30, 2013, 08:16:47 PM »
I had to deal with SS-I'lltakemyhalfoftheroadoutofthemiddle today. On the Palmetto Expressway.  During rush hour traffic. I'm surprised he didn't get shot, being Miami and all.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #19281 on: January 30, 2013, 08:24:37 PM »
I think many of the flashmobs I have liked on line - are not completely unexpected. Many are publicity stunts for different art groups, I'm pretty sure they had permission from the site have the flashmob/performance. Most of Improv now ones are more flashmob (like no pants day), but the big ones that they do in NYC with thousands of people converging on a place and following instructions on MP3 players - I figure they clear it with someone.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #19282 on: January 30, 2013, 11:11:00 PM »
I had to deal with SS-I'lltakemyhalfoftheroadoutofthemiddle today. On the Palmetto Expressway.  During rush hour traffic. I'm surprised he didn't get shot, being Miami and all.

I'm picturing a highway completely covered in Palmetto bugs.  ::Shudder::

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
« Reply #19283 on: January 31, 2013, 12:18:47 AM »
http://abcnews.go.com/US/student-wins-stalking-order-overly-involved-parents/story?id=18080707

A 21 yo student got a restraining order after her parents went to the university and told them she was mentally ill, playing scrabble with many people, and using drugs.

I think the real problem was she was pulling away. At one point she says she was required to leave skype on overnight so they could make sure she was asleep and not out partying. Creepy.

I do applaud the school, however, for helping her finish out her senior year without any financial help from her parents. That's got to be difficult to deal with snowflakes that special.

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

snowdragon

« Reply #19284 on: January 31, 2013, 12:27:46 AM »
It's the first week of classes...I went to the bookstore to pick up my books yesterday and waited for 40 minutes to be helped. I *finally* got help by getting in line behind a clerk and following her around for last 20 minutes, obviously in pain as two of the people in line behind me remarked on it. When it was finally my turn I asked for help finding one book as I could not even see where the class books were supposed to be ( they are arranged by major and then course number) when I finished speaking SSIDONTHAVETOWAIT walked over and said "I need help shopping can you do it for me" completely disregarding the fact that this clerk was helping someone and had others waiting for her help. AshleytheequallySSclerk looked at the line behind her and announced "You can wait while I help this person"  After strong protests from me that I had already waited and should not have to wait more - she finally said "Fine. I'll.do.what.you.want." speakign in snipped words and making it known she was not happy.  She could not find the book either -looked at me again and said that she needed to go help the other woman, and I repeated I had waited and she would finish with me first. She then went to a computer made a feeble "attempt" at finding the book and then tried to walk away again ( third time trying to ditch me before resolving the issue) a young lady at the next desk over told me to walk to her and she'd try to help. It took her 30 seconds and the name of the teacher for her to find the course materials ( text and dvds) for me.
  I told her I wanted a manager and she told me that they were both up front by the cashiers but that I could speak to one if I asked.   

I am still flabbergasted that the woman who needed help shopping thought it appropriate to cut the line of people following this clerk around ( and we were obviously following her) and that the clerk thought it appropriate to leave a line to do the first woman's bidding.

PeterM

« Reply #19285 on: January 31, 2013, 03:52:12 AM »
And expecting people to over- or undershoot their exits is ridiculous. Maybe they know the area, and maybe they don't.  If I'm not familiar with an area and I know I'm supposed to get off at exit 36, how do I know whether it's safe to get off at exit 37?  The bikers needed to let the guy in. They're not a funeral procession and they're not a group of emergency vehicles. They have no entitlement to stay together on the road.

I agree. For me the fact that they were in the right lane is what really clinches it. In the left lane I'd probably think they were rude, but no big deal because no one absolutely needs to be in the left-most  lane. But literally everyone needs to be in the right lane during the course of their journey.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #19286 on: January 31, 2013, 07:56:44 AM »

Agreed. People deliberately blocking the path at the mall, when I'm trying to get in and out, are not going to strike me as beautiful. I take the bus and if I miss it, that's a half hour wait because other people wanted to show off.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19287 on: January 31, 2013, 08:40:21 AM »

Agreed. People deliberately blocking the path at the mall, when I'm trying to get in and out, are not going to strike me as beautiful. I take the bus and if I miss it, that's a half hour wait because other people wanted to show off.
[/quote

I agree. I've used public transit to NYC many times (bus and train), and missing a bus or train can cause a wait anywhere from 30 mins to an hour.

mmswm

« Reply #19288 on: January 31, 2013, 08:45:40 AM »

I'm picturing a highway completely covered in Palmetto bugs.  ::Shudder::

lol.  I should explain more.  The Palmetto, or Florida State Road 826, is a major expressway (and I use that term lightly) in South Miami Dade County. It's technically a bypass around Miami. It's one of three limited access North/South Highways in the area. The alternatives are I-95 and the Florida Turnpike. I-95 on the southern end, a "stone's throw" from , splitting off from US1.  Traffic through that area is generally horrible. The Turnpike runs quite a bit farther west and is a toll road. The southern terminus of the Palmetto is also US1, but a few miles south of 95. The Palmetto has no tolls and runs between 95 and the Turnpike.  Since it's free to use and doesn't run through downtown, it's very popular. It's also perpetually under construction.*

This driver yesterday was running down two of the middle lanes, taking up half of each and refusing to get in one or the other, causing major traffic issues.

*Amusing story: I asked my mother if there was ever a time when the Palmetto was not under construction and she said "Not in my life time."

MrTango

« Reply #19289 on: January 31, 2013, 08:48:54 AM »
http://abcnews.go.com/US/student-wins-stalking-order-overly-involved-parents/story?id=18080707

A 21 yo student got a restraining order after her parents went to the university and told them she was mentally ill, playing scrabble with many people, and using drugs.

I think the real problem was she was pulling away. At one point she says she was required to leave skype on overnight so they could make sure she was asleep and not out partying. Creepy.

Wow.  That's beyond creepy.  Good on her for getting help to get them off her back.