Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 4401213 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #19365 on: February 04, 2013, 11:40:23 AM »
This is a nasty SS: When the lights went out in the stadium, my radio station jokingly posted that they should put Beyonce back on because "she can turn on anything."

The nasty part? Someone replied " She couldnt even have a baby. They closed down the entire maternity ward so her surrogate could. In case some people don't know that little nugget."  >:( >:(

Oh, dear heavens!  Now disregarding my personal opinions of the whole maternity ward thing (lets just say I will never, ever, ever spend even one penny on anything that either of them are connected to), but that comment was so far out of line the poster needs a grappling hook and several lengths of rope to find it again.

Yeah I don't even really care all that much about what Beyonce did with all that, it's just sort of a blip on my radar, cause I just am not the hugest fan of either of them anyway so it just wasn't that big a deal to me.

But the remarks about her needing a surrogate were really unkind and uncalled for.  >:(

ETA One of the deejays responded to the guy saying "Postersname-Dislike"

I don't have any feeling one way or another toward Beyonce but I find that comment in horrible taste.  Also, what on Earth could "she couldn't even have a baby" mean? Becoming pregnant and carrying the pregnancy to term are not achievements.  Couples struggling with infertility need compassion, not shame.

Methinks someone was wanting something nasty to say about her and that was their opportunity to bring that up as a dig.   
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #19366 on: February 04, 2013, 01:07:22 PM »
The "she's not really pregnant" comments are already starting about Kim Kardashian. I don't really understand that either. There are plenty of celebrities who use surrogates and openly admit it; it's not a shameful thing. So why try and shame women who choose to use a surrogate?

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #19367 on: February 04, 2013, 01:12:43 PM »
I believe that a large part f the appeal of conspiracy theories is that you can feel so much smarter than those people who just believe what they see. "Ha! You think Beyonce has a real baby! You steeple!"
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #19368 on: February 04, 2013, 01:20:16 PM »
My DH has an employee that is a major conspiracy theorist. This man sees conspiracies everywhere! I understand the ones about the moon landing, the world trade center, and the JFK assassination to an extent, but the pharmaceutical and medical epidemic conspiracy theories astound me. The most recent are concerning influenza and AIDS. Those that perpetuate these theories make my brain hurt.

War_Doc

« Reply #19369 on: February 04, 2013, 01:28:01 PM »
Take the conspiracy talk to a new thread please.  Get back on SS.
By their victory, the 3rd, 4th and 5th Marine Divisions and other units of the Fifth Amphibious Corps have made an accounting to their country which only history will be able to value fully. Among the Americans who served on Iwo Island, uncommon valor was a common virtue."

--Admiral C. W. Nimitz

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #19370 on: February 04, 2013, 01:29:23 PM »
Saw one during my morning trip to the physical therapist.

It's rush hour, so El space is at a premium.  I'm waiting on the platform, and the train arrives.  The doors part, revealing a tightly packed commute and, getting off the train as the doors open, a woman with a lit cigarette dangling from her mouth.

1) No smoking on public transit.
2) The train jostles quite a bit, so the dangling thing means that it's unsecured.
3) The train was packed, so that means that there were any number of opportunities for said cigarette to burn someone just from them brushing against her.

Who does that?!

(Side note:  I really need to get the heck out of this city!)

weeblewobble

« Reply #19371 on: February 04, 2013, 02:07:19 PM »

It's rush hour, so El space is at a premium.  I'm waiting on the platform, and the train arrives.  The doors part, revealing a tightly packed commute and, getting off the train as the doors open, a woman with a lit cigarette dangling from her mouth.

2) The train jostles quite a bit, so the dangling thing means that it's unsecured.
3) The train was packed, so that means that there were any number of opportunities for said cigarette to burn someone just from them brushing against her.

Who does that?!

Maybe it's a good way to discourage gropers?  ???

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #19372 on: February 04, 2013, 02:40:37 PM »

Who does that?!

With the train as packed as it was, just the normal movement of the train had us swaying into each other.

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #19373 on: February 04, 2013, 02:53:31 PM »
*I* considered this person to be an SS.
It also hurt my brain and left me profoundly annoyed.

Saw a vanity licensce plate this weekend (so someone requested this and paid extra for it) which read:
14DROAD (One for the road).

Now, I suppose there is a small possibility that the driver means he/she really loves driving and is "one that loves the road", but really, the interpretation of that phrase "one for the road" means "one last drink before we start out."
So...let's drink and drive.  >:(

Yeah. Annoyed.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #19374 on: February 04, 2013, 02:56:22 PM »

Who does that?!

Ehell approved or not I would grab the nearest bottle of water, cup of coffee or other liquid and pour it on that cigarette immediately

With the train as packed as it was, just the normal movement of the train had us swaying into each other.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #19375 on: February 04, 2013, 03:03:59 PM »

Who does that?!

Ehell approved or not I would grab the nearest bottle of water, cup of coffee or other liquid and pour it on that cigarette immediately

Luckily she was getting off as I was getting on, but yeesh, that one left me gobsmacked.

weeblewobble

« Reply #19376 on: February 04, 2013, 03:09:11 PM »

Who does that?!

Then I got nothin'

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #19377 on: February 04, 2013, 05:01:24 PM »
The "sing along" concert posts reminded me of a concert I attended at the end of last year.  The artist was Joe Bonamassa, a blues guitar slinger extraordinaire.  My husband is a Blues DJ and he's been buying everything Mr. Bonamassa put out since he was in his early 20s.  Much of the music is just a bit too *busy* for me.  Joe Bonamassa has fast hands/fingers and the music comes to me in a flurry of notes: Really rapid, but not well defined.

This concert was like a Blue Guitar Primer.  At one point, he was alone on the stage, playing individual notes clearly and exploring the silence between the notes.  I was enthralled.  Except there was one person in the audience who screamed out during those moments of silence separating the notes.  Mr. Bonamassa tried looking out at the audience member with a frown on his face, but there was no shaming them into silence.  After a couple more notes, Mr. Bonamassa gave up with the slow stuff and exploded with a flurry of fast licks.

Before ehell, I would have yelled at that audience member to be quiet and let us enjoy the music. :-[ I have learned to be quiet, but I'm seething inside, which does my blood pressure no favors.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Shalamar

« Reply #19378 on: February 04, 2013, 05:07:25 PM »
A while back, Prince performed in my city.  After the "big" concert, he visited a very small club to hang out, and he decided to take to the stage just for the fun of it.  Now, for anyone who doesn't know, His Royal Purpleness absolutely hates having his picture taken while he's performing - the flash really bothers his eyes.  Before he started playing, he announced this and said "So, please, no photos."  Naturally, several people chose to ignore his request. 

Now, it's a matter of opinion as to who was the SS here - Prince or the fans who took his picture without his permission.  Me, I'm on Prince's side - he very politely asked people not to use their cameras, and they did so anyway.  The worst part, however, is that one of those people managed to make some money by selling the picture to the local newspaper the next day.

christmascarol

« Reply #19379 on: February 05, 2013, 04:08:48 AM »
I've just remembered this one - why I didn't think of it before is a mystery.  Biggest SS I've ever met -

Woman across the aisle from us on a flight from UK to Germany.  She looked middle-aged, her son was about one-year-old. 

Our flight was delayed by about half an hour.  When we finally started to move, she seriously asked the stewardess if the pilot could wait a bit longer as the noise was interfering with her son's nap time.  Jaw hit floor.  AND she was ratty when the stewardess said it wouldn't be possible.