Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5266861 times)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #19410 on: February 08, 2013, 04:35:28 PM »
Could be worse. There was an art student whose decided to do a project that involved going to a museum, standing in front of a well-known masterpiece, swallowing a pint of yellow paint and vomiting it over the painting. In court, he claimed that the painter of the defaced work would have certainly supported his freedom of artistic expression, if still alive.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

EveLGenius

« Reply #19411 on: February 08, 2013, 06:38:09 PM »
The people defacing artwork reminded me of this story.

My mother used to work in a small religious college.  We were good friends with the librarian, and occasionally helped out in the library, especially at the end of summer when they were gearing up for the fall semester. 

One summer, we noticed that we were putting away a lot of brand-new, newly-cataloged art books.  Someone commented to the librarian that the art department must have gotten a new donor, to be able to afford so many large, beautiful, expensive books on art and art history.  Oh no, she said, she had to budget for these books every two years, because she had to replace them so regularly.

It seems that some of the students were from a sub-group of this religion that taught them very firmly, from a very young age, that human bodies were bad and evil and lustful, and that nekkidness in all its forms was a sin.  Imagine their shock when they got to college and discovered entire BOOKS with pictures of paintings and sculptures of people's bodies!  Without even a fig leaf or a tactfully placed scarf, sometimes!  They couldn't just put the books down- that would be encouraging other people to sin, too!  So sometimes they would steal the entire book.  Sometimes they would just rip out the pages that had the horrible photos.  And sometime they would cut the horrible photos out of the pages, leaving the written text behind. 

The favorite, however, was the person who carefully and painstakingly used wrapping paper to make paper-doll outfits, and clothed each and every one of the nudes.

Yarnspinner

« Reply #19412 on: February 08, 2013, 08:05:38 PM »
Sigh...books and art vandalism snowflakes....

1) When I first began the job at this library, we often had art shows of work done by local middle school kids.  One little girl had done a pretty chalk and pen abstract in colors that were just lovely and went with my then decor.  I was absolutely enchanted and finally got in touch with the teacher and asked if the child would sell me the painting.  The little girl was so excited and was afraid that asking $20 was too much.  I thought that was fine and agreed to pay...which I did.

One day as I passed by "my" soon to be painting, I noticed black marks all over it.  Turned out one of the artist's friends was jealous that someone chose her painting and they defaced it hoping I would reneg on my purchase.  I remained steadfast and to her credit, the artist tried to fix it. Just don't understand why other people feel they have to ruin everything for other people.

2) Not defacing, but theft.  This relates to religion and art.  We had half a dozen enormous and old art books on the artwork and crafts of a particular religious group.  Four members of said group were in and asked to see the books, which are reference materials and absolutely did not circulate.

Well, said group left, with strangely suspicious squared shapes in their previously flat shirt fronts..I went to my then supervisor and told her what was happening and she just shook her head.  "We'll get into more trouble for harassing them than we will for letting them steal the books."

These days I am one of the collection development and acquisitions librarians and because of that incident and dozens more like it, a lot of us are loathe to spend more than thirty dollars on books. (Of course, we are loathe to spend money on almost anything that is new, popular or Oprah Endorsed because it will disappear within six weeks.  If I had a dime for every time we have purchased Greene's "The 48 Laws of Power" in groups of ten and twenty, I would be rich today.)

Edited to add a bonus story:  This illustrates exactly why my library's collection gets decimated and our patrons get rowdier.  Years back we had one particular book thief who finally got caught, not by us, but by the employees of Other Town Library.  Other Town Library had thief arrested and forced into lots of community time.  During that time a police investigation turned up hundreds of our books in Thief's apartment.

Did we follow Other Town's example?  Of course not.

WE made Thief a member of the newly formed Friends of the Library Committee because THAT would give Thief perspective on stealing. 

To this day, Thief sincerely believes that they should have a say in most library programming and decisions......
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 08:09:38 PM by Yarnspinner »

delabela

« Reply #19413 on: February 08, 2013, 08:19:48 PM »
1) When I first began the job at this library, we often had art shows of work done by local middle school kids.  One little girl had done a pretty chalk and pen abstract in colors that were just lovely and went with my then decor.  I was absolutely enchanted and finally got in touch with the teacher and asked if the child would sell me the painting.  The little girl was so excited and was afraid that asking $20 was too much.  I thought that was fine and agreed to pay...which I did.

One day as I passed by "my" soon to be painting, I noticed black marks all over it.  Turned out one of the artist's friends was jealous that someone chose her painting and they defaced it hoping I would reneg on my purchase.  I remained steadfast and to her credit, the artist tried to fix it. Just don't understand why other people feel they have to ruin everything for other people.

This makes me incredibly sad.  I hope she continued being creative and found better friends.

AtraBecca

« Reply #19414 on: February 08, 2013, 08:35:58 PM »
The favorite, however, was the person who carefully and painstakingly used wrapping paper to make paper-doll outfits, and clothed each and every one of the nudes.

I have to admit, that made me giggle. How very thoughtful!  ;D

darling

« Reply #19415 on: February 08, 2013, 08:39:38 PM »
*snip*

Did we follow Other Town's example?  Of course not.

WE made Thief a member of the newly formed Friends of the Library Committee because THAT would give Thief perspective on stealing. 

To this day, Thief sincerely believes that they should have a say in most library programming and decisions......

You know, I was reading your post, and didn't see your username, yet somehow I knew this just had to be from you... LOL

Jail time for book thieves!

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #19416 on: February 08, 2013, 08:56:44 PM »
Another 'my political theory is more important than your artwork' snowflake:

http://news.msn.com/pop-culture/woman-defaces-famous-louvre-painting-with-black-pen

A woman who is part of a group of 9/11 conspiracy theorists scribbled with black marker on a French painting on loan from the main Louvre to one of the satellite museums. Fortunately the curators say the damage is very superficial and should be easily cleaned.

This comment is probably not eHell approved, but I truthfully hope she is punished fairly severely for that!  I don't understand why some people feel they have the "right" to destroy the creative work of other people.
I'm confused - why attack this painting? does this group think the French were behind 9/11?
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #19417 on: February 08, 2013, 09:54:30 PM »

http://news.msn.com/pop-culture/woman-defaces-famous-louvre-painting-with-black-pen

A woman who is part of a group of 9/11 conspiracy theorists scribbled with black marker on a French painting on loan from the main Louvre to one of the satellite museums. Fortunately the curators say the damage is very superficial and should be easily cleaned.

This comment is probably not eHell approved, but I truthfully hope she is punished fairly severely for that!  I don't understand why some people feel they have the "right" to destroy the creative work of other people.
I'm confused - why attack this painting? does this group think the French were behind 9/11?

I think it was more along the lines of "attack this famous painting and get LOTS of publicity for *our cause*" - but it could also be that the idjit is just an idjit and picked it out because she was in front of it when she found the marker in her purse.....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

snowdragon

« Reply #19418 on: February 08, 2013, 10:16:22 PM »

I think it was more along the lines of "attack this famous painting and get LOTS of publicity for *our cause*" - but it could also be that the idjit is just an idjit and picked it out because she was in front of it when she found the marker in her purse.....

after 9/11 and when they were talking about invading Iraq there were hard words between the US and France there were things like folks renaming French fries  to Patriot Fries and French Toast became Freedom Toast, ect. This could be a reaction to the same incident.

marcel

« Reply #19419 on: February 08, 2013, 10:48:52 PM »
*I* considered this person to be an SS.
It also hurt my brain and left me profoundly annoyed.

Saw a vanity licensce plate this weekend (so someone requested this and paid extra for it) which read:
14DROAD (One for the road).

Now, I suppose there is a small possibility that the driver means he/she really loves driving and is "one that loves the road", but really, the interpretation of that phrase "one for the road" means "one last drink before we start out."
So...let's drink and drive.  >:(

Yeah. Annoyed.
The expresion can also be used for food and non-alcoholic beverages (In this very thread, 2 pages back a poster uses this very expresion for non-alcoholic beverages.)
Wherever you go..... There you are.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #19420 on: February 08, 2013, 11:47:22 PM »
A good friend of mine in college was an art major, and I would sometimes study with her in the tomes of the library where she would review art history books and I would write papers (back in days of handwritten rough drafts).

One evening she had a giggle fit and proclaimed, "Lawrence has had this book before!" 
I came over and she showed me beautiful artwork, with the male private parts CUT out with an exacto knife.  She explained that everyone who knew Lawrence knew he was gay, except his parents (who worked on campus, and thought the upside down pink triangle on his jacket meant supporting women) so he would "get his jollies" through art pron.  (Again, pre-internet days, and this was a religious school).

I wondered what he did with his paper collection of male bits--did he decoupage a trinket box?  Rank them in a journal?  Take a world art tour and recognize famous nudes just by the bits he cut and carried?

Ewww...

The college had a dark room for art/photography students-I wonder why he did not just take a camera to the library and process his own pictures instead of destroying the art books.

hmmm...another story I have never anyone told before now.

Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

Rohanna

« Reply #19421 on: February 09, 2013, 12:02:08 AM »
I'm sure there are psychologists that would have a field day with his "destruction of lust object" habits....  ;)
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

Amava

« Reply #19422 on: February 09, 2013, 03:12:06 AM »
RegionMom's post made me gasp for breath. I really don't have a problem with it if people want to adorn their room with erotic material or want to make a scrapbook or something. But ACK!!! to destroy library property for it! And art history books, no less!  :'( He should buy his own material, not treating the library books as his own!  :o :o :o And even if he can't afford to get his own material, that is still no excuse to just take the library books and treat them as his own!

I wouldn't have fits of giggles about that. If I knew who was destroying library property I'd rat him out without delay. He should be made to reimburse the library for everything he damaged!

Gahhh he makes me angry.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19423 on: February 09, 2013, 09:20:27 AM »
I'm sure there are psychologists that would have a field day with his "destruction of lust object" habits....  ;)

In the library world there are stories of librarians who have been forced to paint pants on the kid in 'The Night Kitchen' with liquid paper because of patron pressure. 

There's also the time when Ted Geissel (Dr. Seuss) was involved in a bizarre situation.  He was found writing fake dedications in the works of Mary Baker Eddy.  What can you do when the 'vandalism' may actually enhance the value of the book?

A problem art libraries face is that there are sometimes patrons who will deface books to make an
artistic statement of their own.  I fault 'The Humument' with inciting this sort of thing. 

Yarnspinner

« Reply #19424 on: February 09, 2013, 12:32:17 PM »
A good friend of mine in college was an art major, and I would sometimes study with her in the tomes of the library where she would review art history books and I would write papers (back in days of handwritten rough drafts).

One evening she had a giggle fit and proclaimed, "Lawrence has had this book before!" 
I came over and she showed me beautiful artwork, with the male private parts CUT out with an exacto knife.  She explained that everyone who knew Lawrence knew he was gay, except his parents (who worked on campus, and thought the upside down pink triangle on his jacket meant supporting women) so he would "get his jollies" through art pron.  (Again, pre-internet days, and this was a religious school).

I wondered what he did with his paper collection of male bits--did he decoupage a trinket box?  Rank them in a journal?  Take a world art tour and recognize famous nudes just by the bits he cut and carried?

Ewww...

The college had a dark room for art/photography students-I wonder why he did not just take a camera to the library and process his own pictures instead of destroying the art books.

hmmm...another story I have never anyone told before now.

One more before we have to take the art vandalism to its own thread...we used to have a young male patron who either idolized or had a crush on Mark Spitz.  It got to a point where we would have to make him stand in front of us while we checked books and magazines he had borrowed because he would use a razor and sit in the library to cut out every single photo of Mark he found.  There was definitely a problem there as his family kept paying for everything he damaged (and we knew they couldn't really afford it) and because he really, really did not seem to understand that what he was doing was WRONG.