Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5418193 times)

Otterpop

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #19425 on: February 09, 2013, 11:21:05 PM »
Went to Wegmans today to get some stuff for a party and there was a kid walking around the granola bar and sticking his hand into various things, taking out a handful and eating - then moving on to the next bin. We alerted staff and the kid's mom got mad at us because "he's just a kid, why should he not be able to eat?"  Like anyone wants food that has been handled by some kids bare hands after he has stuck them in his mouth.

Staff took the entire "bar" down and had to replace it all. What a waste.

Thank you!  You've done all us self serve bar patrons a service (I love the olive deli bar at my local Von's and shudder to think what has gone on there).  That mom was just gross...too bad the store did not charge her for trashed contents.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #19426 on: February 09, 2013, 11:33:37 PM »
I've just remembered this one - why I didn't think of it before is a mystery.  Biggest SS I've ever met -

Woman across the aisle from us on a flight from UK to Germany.  She looked middle-aged, her son was about one-year-old. 

Our flight was delayed by about half an hour.  When we finally started to move, she seriously asked the stewardess if the pilot could wait a bit longer as the noise was interfering with her son's nap time.  Jaw hit floor.  AND she was ratty when the stewardess said it wouldn't be possible.

I think this wins the thread!
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Rohanna

« Reply #19427 on: February 10, 2013, 02:03:24 AM »
If Deity had meant for us to be naked, we would have been born that way/

I wasn't actually born naked- I  born in a caul, so I guess I really shouldn't run around nude pthen  ;)
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

Craftyone

« Reply #19428 on: February 10, 2013, 03:35:57 AM »
A tad drastic!  Though I'm sure we've all wanted them at some point   ;D

Cinema Ninjas

Redsoil

« Reply #19429 on: February 10, 2013, 08:11:03 AM »
I sometimes think it would be a good idea with self serve bins to either place a childproof lock on them or have them at a level above young children's reach.  And yes, I know either option may well inconvenience some others, but if need be, assistance could then be given?
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

PeterM

« Reply #19430 on: February 10, 2013, 03:08:08 PM »

Cinema Ninjas

Unless they're armed with a bow and arrows or blow-guns with poison darts, I vote not drastic enough.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19431 on: February 10, 2013, 03:39:09 PM »
I sometimes think it would be a good idea with self serve bins to either place a childproof lock on them or have them at a level above young children's reach.  And yes, I know either option may well inconvenience some others, but if need be, assistance could then be given?

We've seen places that have a good system for bulk grains, dried fruit, granola and candy.  The bins are  covered hoppers with spouts at the bottom.  These are located higher than the reach of a young child. You access the products by putting a bag under the spout and pushing a lever.  That opens the spout and the food goes into the bag.  It's still possible to sneak a snack from the bag but, at least, the rest of the food in the hopper isn't contaminated by sneezes, coughs or young fingers. 

It's an hygienic and efficient system although Mr. Thipu does tend to go a bit overboard on the dark chocolate covered espresso beans. 

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #19432 on: February 10, 2013, 04:55:32 PM »

Cinema Ninjas

I'm not kidding when I say I used to joke about ninjas being in cinema and theater ceilings when we were watching plays or movies.  They were good ninjas, because we couldn't see them.

I nearly had an reverse funny aneurysm at this, actually. :P

Mediancat

• Shibboleth of Shadowland
« Reply #19433 on: February 11, 2013, 08:33:32 AM »
Went to Wegmans today to get some stuff for a party and there was a kid walking around the granola bar and sticking his hand into various things, taking out a handful and eating - then moving on to the next bin. We alerted staff and the kid's mom got mad at us because "he's just a kid, why should he not be able to eat?"  Like anyone wants food that has been handled by some kids bare hands after he has stuck them in his mouth.

Staff took the entire "bar" down and had to replace it all. What a waste.

Thank you!  You've done all us self serve bar patrons a service (I love the olive deli bar at my local Von's and shudder to think what has gone on there).  That mom was just gross...too bad the store did not charge her for trashed contents.

I was just going to say, I hope the store charged her for everything that had to be tossed.

Rob
"In all of mankind's history, there has never been more damage done than by someone who 'thought they were doing the right thing'." -- Lucy, Peanuts

turtleIScream

« Reply #19434 on: February 11, 2013, 08:52:12 AM »
This weekend, we visited an indoor family fun center - they had bumper cars, laser tag, mini golf, arcade games, etc. We were alone in the mini golf area, when a large group came through. I think they were checking out the course before deciding whether to pay to play. They were a little noisy, and got in our way a little, but they left pretty quickly, so it was fine. Until about 20 minutes later. The kids were waiting for the adults to pay and get the balls and clubs, so they decided it would be a good idea to have races through the course. They ran blindly around corners, ran across the "greens", stepped on my feet, almost knocked down my MIL. MIL calmly reprimanded them (in her teacher voice), and they rolled their eyes and retorted, "we're just racing!".

I reported them to the attendant, and we got $20 of free tokens for the arcade for having to deal with them. :)

Yarnspinner

« Reply #19435 on: February 11, 2013, 11:26:02 AM »
I'm on my condo board (biggest mistake I EVER made, having been on other boards and knowing what people can be like!) and, appropriately, as we are currently buried under three feet of snow, we have special snowflakes coming out of the woodwork.

Folks, this storm was discussed on the news, by the water fountain and pretty much everywhere you would be.  If you did not bother to get groceries, gas, pick up junior:  these are not things we can rectify for you.

Nor are we in charge of the city.  We cannot make the city decide to make OUR tiny street its number one priority.  Our council representative cannot make the city make us its number one priority.  Part of the problem is that special snowflakes---just like YOU--abandoned their cars in the middle of the streets and plows have to wait for towing teams to get them.  This is what has happened on half the main roads in our fair city...so its your fellow taxpayers making your lives miserable, not the condo board.

Ditto the plowing situation on this road.  How many postings, mailings and verbal explanations have to be given before you get the concept of "alternate side of the street parking"????   Instead of parking in an orderly fashion on ONE side of the street (allowing a larger sized plow to get through) you guys all parked hinky jinky on both sides of the road so that any plow coming down the street needs to have excellent hand and eye coordination just to avoid hitting you. 

Sorry, the condo board cannot help that YOU don't want to walk your dog in the snow.  Our crews have shoveled paths and walks.  Take baggies with you and clean up after Fifi.  You don't have to walk her ninety miles just for potty patrol. 

We're sorry that you do not like to stock up on canned goods and perishables and that it is YOUR special routine that you shop fresh daily.  How, exactly, is that our problem?  We could make stone soup, I suppose, but you have already expressed your distaste for soup in general and canned soup in particular.

We're glad to see that those of you whose cars are outside shoveled them off and helped each other.  One question:  you had lots of space in front of your cars to put the snow.  Why then did you deem it necessary to pile the snow up against the garage doors or your neighbors?  Schadenfraud?  You actually made more work for yourselves to do that and for the crews who will now have to deal with it.  Thanks lots.

Ditto those of you in the parking lot who dug out your cars and instead of putting the snow between your cars and the condo, you piled it all in the center to make one great big impassible (and now with the rain) rock hard snow castle.  Some of you are complaining that you now cannot move your cars because said snow pile is blocking you. How, exactly, was the Board president supposed to know you are idiots?  (Well, truth be told, given the building you are in, we should have expected something like this.  You guys expect the condo board to pay when your kids smash your Aunt Mary's china. )

Okay, sure, we will bring in payloaders and dumpsters....hope you like the increase in condo fees to pay for it.  You all were screaming bloody murder when we raised the fees two dollars this year, so I am sure you will enjoy the increase of five when it comes.

If five of you talk at once, we can't answer any of your questions, so here's a little plain advice from me to you: SHUT UP AND LISTEN.

Why, yes, the condo next door DID get its little PRIVATE road dug out yesterday.  They are on a private road and, you may have noticed, they are a lot ritzier than we are.  Once again, if you would like us to raise condo fees even higher--a move you keep voting against--then we have to make do with our cheaper snow service and the city's help. 

Ah!  As I finish typing, I hear the dulcet tones of one of our plows.  Hopefully they will not smash any of the cars parked on the street and hopefully we won't have to hear complaints about how the plow plowed the snow back in where it shouldn't be.  And please, rain really hard so some of this stuff will melt.

Gah!  I like having time off from work, but jee-mah-nee, our board president is NOT Harry Potter.  IF she was, don't you think she would have pointed her wand in the air and shouted "Accio, payloaders!" by now?

ETA:  To clarify, I am not the board president, but I have been hearing about how residents have been screaming at her for not personally shoveling out their walks and making their lives easier.  I continue to be amazed by the lows of human nature.  I didn't think I was still that naive.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 11:29:45 AM by Yarnspinner »

heartmug

« Reply #19436 on: February 11, 2013, 11:45:35 AM »
**hands Yarnspinner a nice cup of hot tea**

I was on a condo board once.   Just once.  I so know what you mean!
One option in a tug of war with someone is just to drop the rope.

Yarnspinner

« Reply #19437 on: February 11, 2013, 11:49:18 AM »
**hands Yarnspinner a nice cup of hot tea**

I was on a condo board once.   Just once.  I so know what you mean!

Thanks, Heart Mug!
Good tea.  The first of the plows are here, but they are out of my line of vision.  This is going to take all day....and then more snow is expected on Wednesday.  Can't wait.

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #19438 on: February 11, 2013, 03:40:12 PM »
A couple years ago, I was an accidental parking Special Snowflake.  I don't live in a town, but the family members I was babysitting for do.  I didn't know about street cleaning day, and that you could only park on one side of the street during those days.  I was just happy to find a parking spot.  I came out and found a parking ticket under my windshield wiper.  Whoops.  :-[ 

I felt pretty stupid, but I paid the ticket and took the lesson.  Some people in town are repeat offenders, though.  I've seen the same car get ticketed three times for the same offense.  Actually, I was surprised to never see that car being hauled off by a tow truck, but as I said before, I don't know much about how things are done there.

Cami

« Reply #19439 on: February 11, 2013, 04:17:13 PM »
A couple years ago, I was an accidental parking Special Snowflake.  I don't live in a town, but the family members I was babysitting for do.  I didn't know about street cleaning day, and that you could only park on one side of the street during those days.  I was just happy to find a parking spot.  I came out and found a parking ticket under my windshield wiper.  Whoops.  :-[ 

I felt pretty stupid, but I paid the ticket and took the lesson.  Some people in town are repeat offenders, though.  I've seen the same car get ticketed three times for the same offense.  Actually, I was surprised to never see that car being hauled off by a tow truck, but as I said before, I don't know much about how things are done there.
Our town has an ordinance forbidding any vehicle or trailer from being parked on a street for longer than 48 hours. There are three people on our street alone who get tickets at least once every two weeks because they leave their items on the street for days. In addition, they often end up with their vehicles towed because there is a limit on how many tickets you can get before they start towing you. And then... the cars come back in the same exact spot. I don't know if they're actually SS, stupid, or if they figure the cost of the ticket/tow  is worth it for the convenience of parking in front of their home.