Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5535096 times)

JoW

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #19470 on: February 15, 2013, 04:15:35 PM »
The extra locker rooms are for kids who are so young they need help changing but old enough that they make opposite-sex strangers uncomfortable while changing.  For example, a 5-year old boy is too old to change with the ladies but to young to use the men's locker room by himself.  So if his mom takes him to the Y they use one of the extra locker rooms.

I belong to a health club associated with a hospital.  It has a warm-water arthritis therapy pool and other equipment designed to be used by handicapped people.  In my club the 3rd locker room is named "assisted changing".  It can be used by kids and opposite-sex parents.  But it has 3 private changing rooms where a handicapped adult can be assisted buy a spouse or attendant.   

And I get mad when a mother decides her 7-year old son can use the ladies locker room because the assisted changing room is crowded. 

MissRose

« Reply #19471 on: February 15, 2013, 05:44:23 PM »
When I went swimming at a local community college (or other places with public swimming) with my parents and my sister's kids, there was no question of which changing rooms were to be used:

Me, my niece, my mother in  the ladies & My dad, my nephew in the men's

I've not encountered any little boys in the ladies' room at the places I've been to.  The community college does have a family room for those who may be assisting senior citizens, disabled, or a parent with an opposite gender child.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #19472 on: February 15, 2013, 06:47:33 PM »
We went home feeling like Very Special Snowflakes.  We did not request special treatment from anyone; We treat them like we would want to be treated, so they like us and treat us very well indeed. :-*

And, by definition, you are not Special Snowflakes, you're just Special, in a great way. Isn't it wonderful when being nice to people pays off?
If I were one of the other 2 people at the redemption center, I would post in this thread about the SSs who waltzed in and got preferential treatment.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #19473 on: February 15, 2013, 07:49:08 PM »
We went home feeling like Very Special Snowflakes.  We did not request special treatment from anyone; We treat them like we would want to be treated, so they like us and treat us very well indeed. :-*

And, by definition, you are not Special Snowflakes, you're just Special, in a great way. Isn't it wonderful when being nice to people pays off?
If I were one of the other 2 people at the redemption center, I would post in this thread about the SSs who waltzed in and got preferential treatment.

Nah, getting preferential treatment is not being SS.  Expecting preferential treatment above all else and whining when you don't get it is being SS.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #19474 on: February 15, 2013, 07:56:09 PM »
Can we please take the locker rooms to their own thread please, thanks.

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #19475 on: February 15, 2013, 09:26:54 PM »
Sigh. I just joined a board (or should I say, I was volunteered for a board and accepted the chair position because nobody else would...) It's a sub-board to fundraise for a nonprofit organization. I've been trying to think of fundraising ideas and have been shooting e-mails off to the other members. Two of the four other members of the board have e-mailed me back, telling me they don't have time to sell tickets/other fundraising things, and don't want to ask people for money. I just...ahh.  Why would you join a fundraising board then??
Because they, like you, weren't given much choice?  That would be my guess.

They weren't forced. Both women have been in the club a lot longer than I have, and signed their names to the paper that was passed out willingly (I was the only one called out to join.) I thought they joined to support me since I was new, but there hasn't been a whole lot of support going on  :P
Ask me about Jamberry Nail Wraps!

snowdragon

« Reply #19476 on: February 15, 2013, 10:41:14 PM »
Why do they bother with so many changing rooms? I usually only see two, male and femal.

When we join ( and in newsletters ) we are told that this arrangement is for the "safety of the children"  One of the directors got really blunt about it and would say " Because no adult who doesn't have kids, should ever be alone in a room with a child."

In other wors - adults without kids are dangerous to children

Iris

« Reply #19477 on: February 15, 2013, 10:57:32 PM »
Why do they bother with so many changing rooms? I usually only see two, male and femal.

When we join ( and in newsletters ) we are told that this arrangement is for the "safety of the children"  One of the directors got really blunt about it and would say " Because no adult who doesn't have kids, should ever be alone in a room with a child."

In other wors - adults without kids are dangerous to children

I don't think this is as black and white as that. As part of my training I learnt that "No teacher should ever be alone in a room with a student". That has nothing to do with the idea that teachers are dangerous to students but rather that in our society *some* people are paranoid and *some* people are overly litigious and *some* children are malicious and hence it's just better to avoid any situation where it has the potential to be 'my word against yours'. Although policies like this are called "Child Protection" in reality there is just as much adult protection happening.

I HAVE kids plus I've passed a fairly stringent background check on my suitability to work with children and I STILL wouldn't like to be alone in a changeroom with, say, a 7 year old that I am not specifically in a caretaker role for. Just too much risk that an hysterical parent will charge in and get worked up over me being naked where their precious can see, or too much risk that the child will interpret a casual glance as "That lady was looking at me".
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #19478 on: February 15, 2013, 11:13:47 PM »
I have an SS story to share.

On the way to dinner, as we were driving through the parking lot, a white sport car was very close behind us, as I signaled that I was turning into a space. So close, I could not see the front of the car. After we were out of the way, the SS driver squealed their tires, and drove as fast as they could for the 30 feet before the cross road and stop sign.  :o

DH, DS and I went to a local counter-service burger place, where you stand in line until the cashier calls you to put in your order. We were next, and waiting for the cashier to call us, while perusing the paper menus. A woman behind us (a bit SS) asked us (imperious voice/mannerisms) if they could go ahead, said "since you aren't ready". I replied, that we were ready, we were waiting for the cashier to call us up. We go up and place our order, then find a table and get our beverages and condiments. I checked with DH that I was correct, and the cashier hadn't called us, and I was. We saw the SS and her companion order, and I am not certain what happened after that, but a few minutes later they stormed out of the restaurant (without food) and squealed their tires leaving their parking space.  ::)

Amara

« Reply #19479 on: February 15, 2013, 11:52:04 PM »
Yeah, because squealing your tires really tells those employees off!  ::)

mmswm

« Reply #19480 on: February 16, 2013, 12:09:26 AM »
I think I may have been a bit SS tonight. I'm on day 14 of a horrific migraine and I'm just not in the mood to deal with anything.  I had to go to the grocery store, and as it's Cheap Chocolate Day, I browsed the clearance bins.  There was a bag of chocolate that I like with a large sticker on it with a marked down price.  I had a half dozen other items.  The bag of chocolate was the last thing scanned, but it scanned for full price. I questioned the price and the cashier said that the price on the large, day-glo orange sticker was only valid with the rewards card.  I said, you know what, you can keep it, and started walking away.  She shouted after me, asking if I was just going to leave the rest of the stuff and I replied that I was just leaving, and kept walking.

Now, the whole rewards card thing bothers me anyway, but most stores use them.  I've begrudgingly accepted this fact.  The line here was the large day-glo orange price sticker that said nothing about a rewards card, just a price.  That's what sent me over the edge.  I didn't raise my voice, but I probably should have been nicer about it, or maybe even bought the rest of the stuff, as I really needed the other stuff and wound up going to a different store (one that doesn't use discount cards) to get what I needed.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #19481 on: February 16, 2013, 08:02:27 AM »
Going back to the locker room story, I went to the bathrooms today in a shopping centre and to my surprise saw a 12 year old boy among the stalls!

12 is waaaaaay to be old to wait with Mum in the bathroom. I draw the line at 6 or 7 maybe. Didn't wait around for the mother, but if I had seen her I would have estimated her. Must have been a SS to think her 12 year old son could come with her to the ladies room!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19482 on: February 16, 2013, 08:13:56 AM »
I think I may have been a bit SS tonight. I'm on day 14 of a horrific migraine and I'm just not in the mood to deal with anything.  I had to go to the grocery store, and as it's Cheap Chocolate Day, I browsed the clearance bins.  There was a bag of chocolate that I like with a large sticker on it with a marked down price.  I had a half dozen other items.  The bag of chocolate was the last thing scanned, but it scanned for full price. I questioned the price and the cashier said that the price on the large, day-glo orange sticker was only valid with the rewards card.  I said, you know what, you can keep it, and started walking away.  She shouted after me, asking if I was just going to leave the rest of the stuff and I replied that I was just leaving, and kept walking.

Now, the whole rewards card thing bothers me anyway, but most stores use them.  I've begrudgingly accepted this fact.  The line here was the large day-glo orange price sticker that said nothing about a rewards card, just a price.  That's what sent me over the edge.  I didn't raise my voice, but I probably should have been nicer about it, or maybe even bought the rest of the stuff, as I really needed the other stuff and wound up going to a different store (one that doesn't use discount cards) to get what I needed.

While I have nothing against rewards cards, especially when they earn me discounts on gas, I would have been irritated by that too.   I don't have ESP and as you said, it wasn't indicated that price was for reward cards only so I can see your irritation on that one. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #19483 on: February 16, 2013, 08:39:42 AM »
Going back to the locker room story, I went to the bathrooms today in a shopping centre and to my surprise saw a 12 year old boy among the stalls!

12 is waaaaaay to be old to wait with Mum in the bathroom. I draw the line at 6 or 7 maybe. Didn't wait around for the mother, but if I had seen her I would have estimated her. Must have been a SS to think her 12 year old son could come with her to the ladies room!

Whaaaaaaat?  :o :o :o That's like, puberty age..... Creepy! I feel kind of bad for that poor kid to get drug in there, but if it had been a locker room I'd be throwing a crazy fit to management. I don't prance around naked or anything, but that is just was too weird.
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

doodlemor

« Reply #19484 on: February 16, 2013, 12:00:48 PM »

Are you sure he was with his mother?  Maybe he is a problem child who went in there himself to see what he could.  Stranger things have happened.