Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5282120 times)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #19500 on: February 16, 2013, 05:58:34 PM »
I am working with a partner on a pro bono case at school.  We are writing a document that will be submitted to a court and while initially we had a lot of time to do it, the SS has slowly eaten away at that cushion.  This past week or so, I've pretty much hit my breaking point.

A revised draft was due right after our long weekend.  We decided to meet on the Saturday morning before the due date at 10 am.  I get up at 8, I'm ready by 8:30 and then Ring! Text message from SS - "Hey, I'm going fishing today so go ahead and go back to sleep.  We'll do it later"  Too late for that as I am tired but awake, and now I'm angry because I left an important event early the night before to make sure I was ok to get up and work this morning.  The night before the due date, SS has not contacted me to reschedule, but really we can work separately so I figure it isn't a big deal.  On my way to the office to finish up the document and turn it in, I text him asking about which file I should combine with my own & whether he was ready for me to turn in the document and he replies: "Yeah, I'm really drunk right now.  You'll have to use your best judgment." Well I check the documents and whaddya know - He hasn't made ANY revisions or done any of the other tasks he was supposed to do.  I stay up late trying to do the best I can even though his section is not really in my area of expertise and try to turn it in the next morning. 

Supervisor realizes that SS hasn't even read the revisions I made let alone revised his section on his own and gives it back to us saying, okay why don't you guys try again so that I get a document that both of you are ready for me to read.  New due date is in 2 days.  SS indicates to me that he's sure this won't take long at all and that he'll be working on it the next day.  Come the morning of the due date, I contact him again asking if I should turn in the document or if he is at the office to do it.  No response.  I go in and check and again, he hasn't made any changes! 

I start fixing it myself in the 2 hours I have left while trying to contact him with no success.  Then I turn it in and of course the Supervisor is not happy that I'm the only one who revised it.  So I get scolded.  SS finally responds to me at the end of the day  - "I was out on another case and forgot my phone at home.  Guess you don't realize how much you need your cell until you don't have it."  Well he was out with another student who is in the same program as us and DID have her cell phone.  But really, there's no need to contact me and let me know that I need to do his share of the work as well as my own right?

Sigh.

Wait, so you're being reprimanded for your classmate not doing his work?  What the heck?  I'd be tempted to ask the professor point-blank "What do you expect me to do?  I have done way more than a reasonable share of this assignment, but I'm not able to physically force my partner to show up for meetings or do work.  What do you think I should be doing that I'm not doing already?"

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #19501 on: February 16, 2013, 06:00:49 PM »

Yes. A friend on another forum was walking along a path in a park. A little girl ahead of him tripped and fell down.  Her mother turned around and started screaming "What did that bad man do to you, Baby?  Somebody call 911, this man assaulted my child!"  ::)   It took the combined efforts of other hikers to convince her that Friend didn't touch the child, that he wasn't even near her, because the mother didn't even believe the child's own report that she fell, complete with skinned hands and knees.

Poor Baby is growing up believing that EVERYONE out there is a predator, waiting to pounce on her.   :(
[/quote]

Cynical Julian suspects SS Mother wants a chance to sue somebody and is using Baby as a tool to achieve that... 

misha412

« Reply #19502 on: February 16, 2013, 06:28:41 PM »
Going back to the locker room story, I went to the bathrooms today in a shopping centre and to my surprise saw a 12 year old boy among the stalls!

12 is waaaaaay to be old to wait with Mum in the bathroom. I draw the line at 6 or 7 maybe. Didn't wait around for the mother, but if I had seen her I would have estimated her. Must have been a SS to think her 12 year old son could come with her to the ladies room!

I saw something similar myself a few years ago. I was traveling across state and stopped at a rest area. I went into the ladies room and there was boy in there about 10 or 11 years old standing by the hand dryers. The poor kid looked very uncomfortable and was looking at the ground.

I went into the furthest stall I could find because I was almost in pain at that point and waiting was not an option. A few seconds later I hear a woman's voice come from another stall closer to the door. "Johnny, are you still out there?" The kid answered her "Yeah." The woman said something like "Well, don't move. I am going to be in here a while."

I came out a couple of minutes later. The woman was still occupied in the stall and the kid was standing in the same place. The poor kid's face was bright red and he seemed to want to melt into the ground.

I tend to think it was a mom and son traveling together without any adult males. She most likely wanted to keep the kid safe while she used the bathroom. But, that kid will have flashbacks and nightmares about that trip for many years if that happened more than once on their journey.

KB

« Reply #19503 on: February 16, 2013, 07:22:04 PM »
I went into the furthest stall I could find because I was almost in pain at that point and waiting was not an option. A few seconds later I hear a woman's voice come from another stall closer to the door. "Johnny, are you still out there?" The kid answered her "Yeah." The woman said something like "Well, don't move. I am going to be in here a while."

What's ridiculous about that whole situation is that there's a short gap between mother hearing the door open (so someone's coming in to the bathroom) and her calling out to him. What if, in that short space, someone's grabbed Johnny and taken off with him? What's mother going to do with her pants around her ankles? By the time she pulls them up, unlocked the door, run out of the bathroom, etc, Johnny could well be out of sight and long gone. Better to leave him locked in a car or in a public place, especially if you can find a not-too-busy cafe where a waitress or someone might be able to keep an eye on him for the couple of minutes it will take mother to attend to nature's call.

rain

« Reply #19504 on: February 16, 2013, 09:46:31 PM »
Could we please get back to snowflake stories?

Bathroom stories should have their own thread.
"oh we thank thee lord for the things we need, like the wind and the rain and the apple seed"

LadyDyani

• Freelance Editor
« Reply #19505 on: February 16, 2013, 09:54:28 PM »
I'm only up to page 55 on this thread, and I'm obsessively trying to catch up.  I figure I'll get up there in a year or two.  I'm at the point where there are several posts about people going too slow on the highway and impeding traffic, which reminded me of a post I had read years ago, and was in my favorites folder. 

It took about 15 minutes to slog through all the dead links (I really need to clean out that favorites folder), but I found it.

http://researchgrrrl.livejournal.com/60084.html

My question is, does Kimberley go straight to e*hell?  Was this rude?
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #19506 on: February 16, 2013, 10:00:53 PM »
I'd be lying if I said that I was never tempted to do that. Legality of using a phone while driving aside, I giggled a little.  I vote SS however, only because it could have caused an accident.
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

snowdragon

« Reply #19507 on: February 16, 2013, 10:08:10 PM »
The bathroom SS stories reminded me of mine:

BG/ when I am asleep and have to go to the bathroom, a lot of the time I will dream that I'm trying desperately to find a bathroom, but the only ones available have men in them! So I'm trying to find a stall with a door, etc. /BG

Imagine my discomfort when I walked into the bathroom at work (clearly labeled girls) and there was a man doing his daughter's hair. Yep. He comes to pick her up from our care and takes her into the bathroom to do her hair. Child is in second grade and fully capable of changing her own clothes, Dad could do her hair in the hall or another room. But he repeatedly does her hair in the girls bathroom. He has been walked in on a number of times, and spoken to about it at least once, but he still does it.

I went ahead into a stall and went while he was in there. Not too happy about it, but I had to go badly, and didn't have time to wait for him to finish with his DD's hair, which is what he wanted me to do. He apologized to me after I left the stall. If you feel bad about your actions, quit repeating them Mister!

I would have walked out and went to HR and had them flush him out. If it meant I wet my pants because of it then HR can deal with those ramifications too. No way am I going to the bathroom in front of a strange male

suzieQ

« Reply #19508 on: February 16, 2013, 10:44:21 PM »
The bathroom SS stories reminded me of mine:

BG/ when I am asleep and have to go to the bathroom, a lot of the time I will dream that I'm trying desperately to find a bathroom, but the only ones available have men in them! So I'm trying to find a stall with a door, etc. /BG

Imagine my discomfort when I walked into the bathroom at work (clearly labeled girls) and there was a man doing his daughter's hair. Yep. He comes to pick her up from our care and takes her into the bathroom to do her hair. Child is in second grade and fully capable of changing her own clothes, Dad could do her hair in the hall or another room. But he repeatedly does her hair in the girls bathroom. He has been walked in on a number of times, and spoken to about it at least once, but he still does it.

I went ahead into a stall and went while he was in there. Not too happy about it, but I had to go badly, and didn't have time to wait for him to finish with his DD's hair, which is what he wanted me to do. He apologized to me after I left the stall. If you feel bad about your actions, quit repeating them Mister!

I would have walked out and went to HR and had them flush him out. If it meant I wet my pants because of it then HR can deal with those ramifications too. No way am I going to the bathroom in front of a strange male

Yeah, not an option where I work. No HR. I mentioned it to boss, and she told me he had been talked to and she would talk to him again. I think when whatever his DD was changing for was over for the year, he finally quit doing it.
Check out my crocheted cross body bags for phones!

http://phlings.blogspot.com/

Shalamar

« Reply #19509 on: February 17, 2013, 12:58:01 AM »
Speaking of bathrooms, I have a coworker who changes into her cycling gear at the end of the day in the ladies' bathroom.   What's wrong with that, you ask?   She doesn't do it in a stall.   She does it by the sinks.    We've all been treated to the sight of Jane in her underwear at one point or another.

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #19510 on: February 17, 2013, 01:47:48 AM »
My dad and I were talking today at lunch and mentioned a SS from when he an my mom were newly married. They were in housing provided by the University and an acquaintance- in the same housing-  of theirs told them one day "I like your apartment better. You need to move out so we can move in."

Yeah, my mother had a few things to say to her, apparently!

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #19511 on: February 17, 2013, 04:01:09 AM »
I'd be lying if I said that I was never tempted to do that. Legality of using a phone while driving aside, I giggled a little.  I vote SS however, only because it could have caused an accident.

Wouldn't it be more likely that going 15 mph below the speed limit would cause an accident, rather than speeding up to the posted speed limit?

I live near a road that has a speed limit that goes from 50 to 45 to 50 to 55 in a roughly five mile stretch. In the first two zones (50 and 45), it is not at all uncommon to see several cars driving 35. It drives me nuts. In driver's ed, we were always taught that it is your responsibility as a driver to keep up with traffic or find an alternate route where you can, and that not doing so is dangerous to yourself and other drivers. I can't even tell you how many times I've been stuck behind someone crawling along at 15-20 mph below the speed limit and looked in my rearview mirror to see someone going 50 mph come zooming up behind me. It hasn't happened yet, but the probable inevitable outcome is that I, or someone else in the same situation, will be rear ended.

snowdragon

« Reply #19512 on: February 17, 2013, 04:57:27 AM »
My dad and I were talking today at lunch and mentioned a SS from when he an my mom were newly married. They were in housing provided by the University and an acquaintance- in the same housing-  of theirs told them one day "I like your apartment better. You need to move out so we can move in."

Yeah, my mother had a few things to say to her, apparently!

I used to live in a 5 apt complex. Before I moved in the old renter was.a.pig. we found mouse droppings in the pots and pans he left and other things that made us gag cleaning it up. But we did a great job, painted it, even putting highlights on the  mantle for the fireplace and cleaning off the old paint from the mosaic on the hearth. It took us 8 hours a day for a month to do.
  When I got in and settled one of the other tennants called the landlord and complained about how my 'apartment was so much nicer than the one he and his wife had' and he wanted 'the same improvements made to his apartment' when the landlord explained that *I and my family* had done the improvements and he was free to invest the time and money into his to upgrade it - the other renter started complaining to me that I "had the best apartment and that I needed to be fair to others" when again told that I and my family had made it that way. He insisted that "it doesn't matter, we all should have those upgrades" - he and his wife went as far as to call the county on the landlord and made a mess of trouble for all of us - including invasive home inspections and such.

He could never understand why we all shunned them afterward.   

JoW

« Reply #19513 on: February 17, 2013, 09:44:28 AM »
Speaking of bathrooms, I have a coworker who changes into her cycling gear at the end of the day in the ladies' bathroom.   What's wrong with that, you ask?   She doesn't do it in a stall.   She does it by the sinks.    We've all been treated to the sight of Jane in her underwear at one point or another.
How many stalls are there?  How long does she linger in just her underwear? 

My pet peeve is people who monopolize a toilet stall changing clothes while others are outside the door in desperate need of a toilet.  Sure, if there are lots of stalls, no one waiting for one, she could use one to change.  But if the stalls are as small as some I've seen she would be in danger of dropping some of her cloting in the toilet. 

In my opinion quickly changing clothing in the restroom outside the stall is less snowflakey than changing in a stall when others need one. 

Amara

« Reply #19514 on: February 17, 2013, 11:57:02 AM »
How many stalls are there?  How long does she linger in just her underwear? 

My pet peeve is people who monopolize a toilet stall changing clothes while others are outside the door in desperate need of a toilet.  Sure, if there are lots of stalls, no one waiting for one, she could use one to change.  But if the stalls are as small as some I've seen she would be in danger of dropping some of her cloting in the toilet. 

In my opinion quickly changing clothing in the restroom outside the stall is less snowflakey than changing in a stall when others need one.

I agree. I don't see this as snowflakey at all. I have done this. At most it's a minute of "underwear" time, and I don't flaunt anything as I do a quick, clean change. Stalls are small and it wouldn't be possible--even if I was willing--unless it was the handicapped one. And I would never use one of those.