Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5622223 times)

Katana_Geldar

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #19515 on: February 17, 2013, 04:26:33 PM »
Here you can actually get booked for going too slow. I love near several main roads and people like that don't last long.

NyaChan

« Reply #19516 on: February 17, 2013, 05:12:11 PM »
I am working with a partner on a pro bono case at school.  We are writing a document that will be submitted to a court and while initially we had a lot of time to do it, the SS has slowly eaten away at that cushion.  This past week or so, I've pretty much hit my breaking point.

A revised draft was due right after our long weekend.  We decided to meet on the Saturday morning before the due date at 10 am.  I get up at 8, I'm ready by 8:30 and then Ring! Text message from SS - "Hey, I'm going fishing today so go ahead and go back to sleep.  We'll do it later"  Too late for that as I am tired but awake, and now I'm angry because I left an important event early the night before to make sure I was ok to get up and work this morning.  The night before the due date, SS has not contacted me to reschedule, but really we can work separately so I figure it isn't a big deal.  On my way to the office to finish up the document and turn it in, I text him asking about which file I should combine with my own & whether he was ready for me to turn in the document and he replies: "Yeah, I'm really drunk right now.  You'll have to use your best judgment." Well I check the documents and whaddya know - He hasn't made ANY revisions or done any of the other tasks he was supposed to do.  I stay up late trying to do the best I can even though his section is not really in my area of expertise and try to turn it in the next morning. 

Supervisor realizes that SS hasn't even read the revisions I made let alone revised his section on his own and gives it back to us saying, okay why don't you guys try again so that I get a document that both of you are ready for me to read.  New due date is in 2 days.  SS indicates to me that he's sure this won't take long at all and that he'll be working on it the next day.  Come the morning of the due date, I contact him again asking if I should turn in the document or if he is at the office to do it.  No response.  I go in and check and again, he hasn't made any changes! 

I start fixing it myself in the 2 hours I have left while trying to contact him with no success.  Then I turn it in and of course the Supervisor is not happy that I'm the only one who revised it.  So I get scolded.  SS finally responds to me at the end of the day  - "I was out on another case and forgot my phone at home.  Guess you don't realize how much you need your cell until you don't have it."  Well he was out with another student who is in the same program as us and DID have her cell phone.  But really, there's no need to contact me and let me know that I need to do his share of the work as well as my own right?

Sigh.

Wait, so you're being reprimanded for your classmate not doing his work?  What the heck?  I'd be tempted to ask the professor point-blank "What do you expect me to do?  I have done way more than a reasonable share of this assignment, but I'm not able to physically force my partner to show up for meetings or do work.  What do you think I should be doing that I'm not doing already?"

Pretty much.  I think the professor sees it as a communication problem rather than a problem with him not completing his work.  I can kind of see where he is coming from - I could have made more of an effort to contact him earlier to check (cough*nag*cough) about his progress in the work.   On some level though, I feel like I shouldn't have to do that if his assignment and due date was made clear to him and he accepted/promised that he would have it done. 

kansha

« Reply #19517 on: February 17, 2013, 05:54:17 PM »
My dad and I were talking today at lunch and mentioned a SS from when he an my mom were newly married. They were in housing provided by the University and an acquaintance- in the same housing-  of theirs told them one day "I like your apartment better. You need to move out so we can move in."

Yeah, my mother had a few things to say to her, apparently!

I used to live in a 5 apt complex. Before I moved in the old renter was.a.pig. we found mouse droppings in the pots and pans he left and other things that made us gag cleaning it up. But we did a great job, painted it, even putting highlights on the  mantle for the fireplace and cleaning off the old paint from the mosaic on the hearth. It took us 8 hours a day for a month to do.
  When I got in and settled one of the other tennants called the landlord and complained about how my 'apartment was so much nicer than the one he and his wife had' and he wanted 'the same improvements made to his apartment' when the landlord explained that *I and my family* had done the improvements and he was free to invest the time and money into his to upgrade it - the other renter started complaining to me that I "had the best apartment and that I needed to be fair to others" when again told that I and my family had made it that way. He insisted that "it doesn't matter, we all should have those upgrades" - he and his wife went as far as to call the county on the landlord and made a mess of trouble for all of us - including invasive home inspections and such.

He could never understand why we all shunned them afterward.
:o how did he know what the inside of YOUR apartment looked like, and how it was so much 'better' than his?

snowdragon

« Reply #19518 on: February 17, 2013, 06:50:49 PM »
My dad and I were talking today at lunch and mentioned a SS from when he an my mom were newly married. They were in housing provided by the University and an acquaintance- in the same housing-  of theirs told them one day "I like your apartment better. You need to move out so we can move in."

Yeah, my mother had a few things to say to her, apparently!

I used to live in a 5 apt complex. Before I moved in the old renter was.a.pig. we found mouse droppings in the pots and pans he left and other things that made us gag cleaning it up. But we did a great job, painted it, even putting highlights on the  mantle for the fireplace and cleaning off the old paint from the mosaic on the hearth. It took us 8 hours a day for a month to do.
  When I got in and settled one of the other tennants called the landlord and complained about how my 'apartment was so much nicer than the one he and his wife had' and he wanted 'the same improvements made to his apartment' when the landlord explained that *I and my family* had done the improvements and he was free to invest the time and money into his to upgrade it - the other renter started complaining to me that I "had the best apartment and that I needed to be fair to others" when again told that I and my family had made it that way. He insisted that "it doesn't matter, we all should have those upgrades" - he and his wife went as far as to call the county on the landlord and made a mess of trouble for all of us - including invasive home inspections and such.

He could never understand why we all shunned them afterward.
:o how did he know what the inside of YOUR apartment looked like, and how it was so much 'better' than his?

because his mother held the keys as building supervisor and as I found out when he said that,both he and his wife would let themselves every once in awhile.  After I found that out, I called the landlord and told him what was up - and got permission not to allow the mother to hold my keys.  I changed the locks immediately.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #19519 on: February 17, 2013, 07:29:05 PM »
because his mother held the keys as building supervisor and as I found out when he said that,both he and his wife would let themselves every once in awhile.  After I found that out, I called the landlord and told him what was up - and got permission not to allow the mother to hold my keys.  I changed the locks immediately.

Yikes she should have lost her job and the whole lot evicted. They had no business going into your apartment.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Sophie Jenkins

« Reply #19520 on: February 17, 2013, 08:38:22 PM »
I think I may have been a bit SS tonight. I'm on day 14 of a horrific migraine and I'm just not in the mood to deal with anything.  I had to go to the grocery store, and as it's Cheap Chocolate Day, I browsed the clearance bins.  There was a bag of chocolate that I like with a large sticker on it with a marked down price.  I had a half dozen other items.  The bag of chocolate was the last thing scanned, but it scanned for full price. I questioned the price and the cashier said that the price on the large, day-glo orange sticker was only valid with the rewards card.  I said, you know what, you can keep it, and started walking away.  She shouted after me, asking if I was just going to leave the rest of the stuff and I replied that I was just leaving, and kept walking.

Now, the whole rewards card thing bothers me anyway, but most stores use them.  I've begrudgingly accepted this fact.  The line here was the large day-glo orange price sticker that said nothing about a rewards card, just a price.  That's what sent me over the edge.  I didn't raise my voice, but I probably should have been nicer about it, or maybe even bought the rest of the stuff, as I really needed the other stuff and wound up going to a different store (one that doesn't use discount cards) to get what I needed.

I totally understand being frustrated with the policy, but I'd have to say that it's a pretty awful thing to do to the cashier. If you'd told her you didn't want any of it, or asked if it was possible to borrow the card of a person behind you in line, it wouldn't be so bad. This wording and the immediate walking away is really rude to the poor cashier who then has to get someone to put everything away and cancel the transaction and explain to her manager what happened when she has no idea why you left.

snowdragon

« Reply #19521 on: February 17, 2013, 08:54:27 PM »
I think I may have been a bit SS tonight. I'm on day 14 of a horrific migraine and I'm just not in the mood to deal with anything.  I had to go to the grocery store, and as it's Cheap Chocolate Day, I browsed the clearance bins.  There was a bag of chocolate that I like with a large sticker on it with a marked down price.  I had a half dozen other items.  The bag of chocolate was the last thing scanned, but it scanned for full price. I questioned the price and the cashier said that the price on the large, day-glo orange sticker was only valid with the rewards card.  I said, you know what, you can keep it, and started walking away.  She shouted after me, asking if I was just going to leave the rest of the stuff and I replied that I was just leaving, and kept walking.

Now, the whole rewards card thing bothers me anyway, but most stores use them.  I've begrudgingly accepted this fact.  The line here was the large day-glo orange price sticker that said nothing about a rewards card, just a price.  That's what sent me over the edge.  I didn't raise my voice, but I probably should have been nicer about it, or maybe even bought the rest of the stuff, as I really needed the other stuff and wound up going to a different store (one that doesn't use discount cards) to get what I needed.

I totally understand being frustrated with the policy, but I'd have to say that it's a pretty awful thing to do to the cashier. If you'd told her you didn't want any of it, or asked if it was possible to borrow the card of a person behind you in line, it wouldn't be so bad. This wording and the immediate walking away is really rude to the poor cashier who then has to get someone to put everything away and cancel the transaction and explain to her manager what happened when she has no idea why you left.

I would find a person who refused to have their own card and wanted to borrow my rude.  You don't want it for whatever reason, fine,no problem, but then you don't get the benefits.  I made a a choice to give the store my info - in return for some savings, others don't want stores tracking them, having their info, whatever and that's where the trade off lies. Either get the card or resign yourself to paying higher prices, but you don't get to have it both ways. 

mmswm

« Reply #19522 on: February 17, 2013, 08:57:07 PM »

I would find a person who refused to have their own card and wanted to borrow my rude.  You don't want it for whatever reason, fine,no problem, but then you don't get the benefits.  I made a a choice to give the store my info - in return for some savings, others don't want stores tracking them, having their info, whatever and that's where the trade off lies. Either get the card or resign yourself to paying higher prices, but you don't get to have it both ways. 

Which is exactly why I wasn't upset that the milk was ringing up at full price, instead of at the discounted price advertised on the sale placard stuck to the refrigerator door. 

I do, however, right in my first sentence, admit to being SS in my reaction to the chocolate.  Like I said, there's a difference between a sale sticker and a regular looking price tag with absolutely no indication of a card requirement.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Shalamar

« Reply #19523 on: February 17, 2013, 09:00:24 PM »
There are three stalls, and they're not that small - I've changed in them myself many times.

snowdragon

« Reply #19524 on: February 17, 2013, 09:00:46 PM »

Which is exactly why I wasn't upset that the milk was ringing up at full price, instead of at the discounted price advertised on the sale placard stuck to the refrigerator door. 

I do, however, right in my first sentence, admit to being SS in my reaction to the chocolate.  Like I said, there's a difference between a sale sticker and a regular looking price tag with absolutely no indication of a card requirement.

I agree with you and I really was not even addressing your post except in how it precipitated the second. I have no issue with those who don't want to pay a different price than what's marked, just the idea that it's ok to use someone else's card.

Sophie Jenkins

« Reply #19525 on: February 17, 2013, 09:02:07 PM »

That's fine if you think that, but I've offered the use of my card and been asked if my card could be scanned countless times in my life. I've never cared or thought it was rude. Sometimes it was because they had a card and forgot/lost it and looking it up wasn't working. Sometimes they were vacationers who really didn't need to get a card for a store they were going to use twice in a year. I don't see it as rude in the slightest to ask if someone minds scanning their card.

snowdragon

« Reply #19526 on: February 17, 2013, 09:06:27 PM »

That's fine if you think that, but I've offered the use of my card and been asked if my card could be scanned countless times in my life. I've never cared or thought it was rude. Sometimes it was because they had a card and forgot/lost it and looking it up wasn't working. Sometimes they were vacationers who really didn't need to get a card for a store they were going to use twice in a year. I don't see it as rude in the slightest to ask if someone minds scanning their card.

If you forgot it - then ask the cashier for the solution, if you are on vacation, you can sign up for one there and then, I have do so many times.  There are other ways to handle it than using someone else's.  I have gone with out the savings for things when I forgot my card.....if that's the policy.  Just don't make it my problem that you ( general) don't have it

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #19527 on: February 17, 2013, 09:08:37 PM »

If you forgot it - then ask the cashier for the solution, if you are on vacation, you can sign up for one there and then, I have do so many times.  There are other ways to handle it than using someone else's.  I have gone with out the savings for things when I forgot my card.....if that's the policy.  Just don't make it my problem that you ( general) don't have it

There is also, oftentimes, the option to get the card but not bother going online or returning the response form that actually collects personal information - I've known people who have done that.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #19528 on: February 17, 2013, 10:17:29 PM »
I'd be lying if I said that I was never tempted to do that. Legality of using a phone while driving aside, I giggled a little.  I vote SS however, only because it could have caused an accident.

Wouldn't it be more likely that going 15 mph below the speed limit would cause an accident, rather than speeding up to the posted speed limit?

I live near a road that has a speed limit that goes from 50 to 45 to 50 to 55 in a roughly five mile stretch. In the first two zones (50 and 45), it is not at all uncommon to see several cars driving 35. It drives me nuts. In driver's ed, we were always taught that it is your responsibility as a driver to keep up with traffic or find an alternate route where you can, and that not doing so is dangerous to yourself and other drivers. I can't even tell you how many times I've been stuck behind someone crawling along at 15-20 mph below the speed limit and looked in my rearview mirror to see someone going 50 mph come zooming up behind me. It hasn't happened yet, but the probable inevitable outcome is that I, or someone else in the same situation, will be rear ended.

I'm more so thinking the guy freaking out and swerving while he is trying to figure out who is calling him in traffic. Or slamming his brakes... or attempting evasive maneuvers. I don't know, I'd do something pretty funky if I got a phone call like that.
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

JoW

« Reply #19529 on: February 17, 2013, 11:22:18 PM »
There are three stalls, and they're not that small - I've changed in them myself many times.
And if I needed a toilet and were the 4th person to enter that restroom I would consider you to be a snowflake for using a stall when you didn't need one.   

I once changed clothing in a restroom stall at O'hare.  It was acceptable only because the restroom was quite large and nearly empty.  There was immediate seating available the whole time I was in the stall.