Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5384177 times)

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #19575 on: February 19, 2013, 08:06:49 PM »
I'm not sure this is special snowflake, but I don't like it.  It's from the website notalwaysworking.  She could have said the situation in her first sentence (or right after the receptionist spoke), but it's like she's deliberately stringing the receptionist along just to make her feel stupid.  The receptionist is not a mind reader.

http://notalwaysworking.com/hopefully-they-get-dental-care-in-heaven/28715

It is hard to tell - some people just have a hard time comeing out with s/he is dead. I was sleep depived a while after both my parents' deaths because I was having weird dreams. After Dad died I kept having a dream about a time we were in the row boat on the pond a the lake. Sis caught a carp - and Dad swore we made that boat several feet longer and nearly walked on water to get away from the "snake". After Mom died,  I kept having vivid dreams of my mom sitting on the edge of my bed singing sleep my child and peace be with thee like she did when I was being bullied. I am sure a few of the people I dealt with thought I was baiting them, when the truth was I could barely put one foot in front of the other. I wrote a stack of thank you cards that thankfully my BIL looked at - they were all mirror imaged.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 08:12:11 PM by kherbert05 »
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Library Dragon

« Reply #19576 on: February 19, 2013, 08:50:44 PM »
I'm not so sure about these, but...

There's a petition site I keep track of, mostly curiosity.  The site is mostly about trying to change human rights/criminal acts etc., and a few cases have been honestly needed, and at least one of them has pressured the arrest of a criminal suspect.

However...

More and more of the petitions coming out of it sound less Human Rights, and more Snowflakey.

There was one fairly recently where a petition was going around because the local Game department was trying to fine them for keeping a deer.

Thank you!  I was feeling very cynical and mean every time I received an email notice.  I kept saying to myself, 'So.....You want special rules for YOU.'

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #19577 on: February 19, 2013, 11:16:31 PM »

There's a petition site I keep track of, mostly curiosity.  The site is mostly about trying to change human rights/criminal acts etc., and a few cases have been honestly needed, and at least one of them has pressured the arrest of a criminal suspect.

However...

More and more of the petitions coming out of it sound less Human Rights, and more Snowflakey.

There was one fairly recently where a petition was going around because the local Game department was trying to fine them for keeping a deer.

Thank you!  I was feeling very cynical and mean every time I received an email notice.  I kept saying to myself, 'So.....You want special rules for YOU.'

Yeah.  Some of them aren't so bad, as the case of incriminating the suspect was, but others are... really wonderful, to put it nicely.  The deer one is the most recent that made my eyes roll.

They aren't prosecuting you for taking care of a fawn; they're prosecuting you for potentially putting its life in danger, keeping an exotic animal, and possibly doing more harm than good to everyone around you.  The rule must be there for a good reason, I think...

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #19578 on: February 20, 2013, 01:44:41 AM »

However...

Yeah.  Some of them aren't so bad, as the case of incriminating the suspect was, but others are... really wonderful, to put it nicely.  The deer one is the most recent that made my eyes roll.

They aren't prosecuting you for taking care of a fawn; they're prosecuting you for potentially putting its life in danger, keeping an exotic animal, and possibly doing more harm than good to everyone around you.  The rule must be there for a good reason, I think...

I actual.y feel e same way about people (usually Americans) who domesticate kangaroos.

Jones

« Reply #19579 on: February 20, 2013, 08:27:59 AM »
The DNR had actually sent someone to kill the fawn, but the fawn was back in the wild so they chose to pursue the couple (the husband was a police officer and if there was an issue really should have known).

The state of Indiana ended up dropping the case.With the uproar in this circumstance, imagine what social media would have had to say if the DNR had managed to kill the deer...which was all healed up and showed no signs of illness.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19580 on: February 20, 2013, 08:32:40 AM »
There was another petition on that site, if it's the one I'm thinking of, that involved an 11 year old girl wanting to be allowed to continue playing football.  The league had allowed it for the past few years, then for some reason they suddenly said "Oh yeah, we don't actually allow girls to play" and banned her from playing.   ::)

I don't think it's the girl that's the snowflake, I think it's really cool that she's played it and I saw her teammates had signed the petition as well. 

I'm not sure who the SS's are.  I'm torn between the league and the *assumption* parents of other players who whined that a girl was playing football and made a stink over it.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #19581 on: February 20, 2013, 09:18:53 AM »
There was another petition on that site, if it's the one I'm thinking of, that involved an 11 year old girl wanting to be allowed to continue playing football.  The league had allowed it for the past few years, then for some reason they suddenly said "Oh yeah, we don't actually allow girls to play" and banned her from playing.   ::)

I don't think it's the girl that's the snowflake, I think it's really cool that she's played it and I saw her teammates had signed the petition as well. 

I'm not sure who the SS's are.  I'm torn between the league and the *assumption* parents of other players who whined that a girl was playing football and made a stink over it.

She was probably playing too well.

We have a case like that now. A girl plays hockey on a local boys league. She is legally allowed to play. The authorities have no problem with this. The parents of the opposing teams do, since she runs rings around their best players and often scores goals. It remains to be seen if they find a loophole and get her kicked out.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19582 on: February 20, 2013, 09:41:01 AM »
I think another aspect of it is that the league is affiliated with a religion (or rather a denomination of a religion) that is kind of known for seeing women as inferior.   Apparently this league was willing to overlook it for a while since the girl was having fun, her coach and teammates were supportive and the parents of the other players on the team were cool with it too.

But I guess someone threw a fit because she was just too good and suddenly "Oops, no girls allowed, you can't play anymore!"

There was a girl on my high school's football team.  She was very well respected amongst the girls and guys because she was very good.  I remember mentioning said girl at home and my father said "Oh, she must be a kicker, that's the only safe football position for a girl."  ::) No, she wasn't a kicker, she was in there tackling like the others.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #19583 on: February 20, 2013, 02:30:58 PM »
The DNR had actually sent someone to kill the fawn, but the fawn was back in the wild so they chose to pursue the couple (the husband was a police officer and if there was an issue really should have known).

The state of Indiana ended up dropping the case.With the uproar in this circumstance, imagine what social media would have had to say if the DNR had managed to kill the deer...which was all healed up and showed no signs of illness.

True enough.  Still, I can't imagine taking care of a wild animal, as much as I love them.  What if it improoerly healed, or became acclimated to humans and couldn't survive on its instincts in the wild?

Personally,  I think they are special because they ignored all those conclusions and demonized the DNR.

Debbie506

« Reply #19584 on: February 20, 2013, 02:36:15 PM »
A fellow in the northern part of our province (New Brunswick) was killed by one of his penned deer a couple of years ago.  Who knew a white-tailed deer could do that?

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19585 on: February 20, 2013, 02:38:05 PM »
Oh dear.  *sorry!*

MrTango

« Reply #19586 on: February 20, 2013, 02:55:42 PM »
A fellow in the northern part of our province (New Brunswick) was killed by one of his penned deer a couple of years ago.  Who knew a white-tailed deer could do that?

Deer have been known to kill wolves in self defense.  Their hind legs are extremely strong and their hooves can be sharp.  That's a deadly combination if it decides to kick.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #19587 on: February 20, 2013, 03:18:41 PM »
When I was in my early teens, I remember "saving" a wild baby bird.  That was over 40 years ago.  I was a great animal lover and I thought I was saving the baby bird's life.  It lived for a couple weeks, then died.  Now I know there are wild bird rescues and I would turn to one of them instead of trying to do it myself.  I recognize that, for all my love of animals, I am not qualified to care for a wild young 'un.

Now I won't even pet feral cats or feed any creature I do not shelter.  I am strongly opposed to feral cat colony caretakers and people who throw stale bread in the canal to feed the fish.  I have learned not to *enlighten* strangers who don't see the harm, so I'm not as obnoxious as I used to be.

There are plenty of domestic animals in need of good homes.  Leave the wild animals alone or let the professionals take over.

[stepping off my soapbox now]
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #19588 on: February 20, 2013, 03:25:30 PM »
I am strongly opposed to feral cat colony caretakers

TNR for feral cat colonies and continued care is considered to be the best practice for them.

doodlemor

« Reply #19589 on: February 20, 2013, 03:26:41 PM »

Many years ago a man that I had gone to high school with was killed by a deer.  He accidentally hit it on the road, and when he got out of his car to look at the body the deer jumped up and killed him with its hooves.

When I accidentally hit a deer with my car the sheriff's dispatcher told me not ever to get out of my car in such a situation.  She said that injured deer are very dangerous.

Back to snowflakes.