Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5623835 times)

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #19590 on: February 20, 2013, 04:54:24 PM »
Only twice did I go out of my way to save baby animals.  Once was a bird which my cat, the huntress, Callie, was playing with.  I got the kitty of its poor tail feathers and it was uninjured, though a little shocked.  I carefully cupped it and put it back in the tree with its nest, and considering I didn't see any baby bird presents that year, I think it survived.

The other time was at elementary school, and saw an obviously injured bird (broken wing), so I cupped it in my hands and took it to the office, who called I think the BLM over to handle it.

I think, one of the funniest times I've ever dealt with baby birds, is when my poor, couldn't hunt to save his soul, cat Andy (Callie's brother) was getting divebombed by some hummingbird.  He came out of it scratch free, but when we came home to see his poor plight, he immediately ran to us and looked like "Let me in!"

Yes, I am a softie.  But I generally let nature take its course, or let the professionals handle it if its a minor problem.  Sometimes, I do get a kick out of feeding pigeons birdseed, but probably because it's far healthier than anything the McDonalds they live outside of has to offer.

Those are some fat pigeons. :)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #19591 on: February 20, 2013, 05:11:24 PM »
When I was in my early teens, I remember "saving" a wild baby bird.  That was over 40 years ago.  I was a great animal lover and I thought I was saving the baby bird's life.  It lived for a couple weeks, then died.  Now I know there are wild bird rescues and I would turn to one of them instead of trying to do it myself.  I recognize that, for all my love of animals, I am not qualified to care for a wild young 'un.

Now I won't even pet feral cats or feed any creature I do not shelter.  I am strongly opposed to feral cat colony caretakers and people who throw stale bread in the canal to feed the fish.  I have learned not to *enlighten* strangers who don't see the harm, so I'm not as obnoxious as I used to be.

There are plenty of domestic animals in need of good homes.  Leave the wild animals alone or let the professionals take over.

[stepping off my soapbox now]

I must admit to some confusion at the bolded statement. As far as I am aware 'the professionals' are all strongly supportive of feral cat colony caretakers. If you just mean that you're opposed to people who feed ferals without any attempt at TNR, then I can understand your reaction more. But then I wouldn't refer to those people as feral cat colony caretakers, either.

We'd do more TNR, if it weren't for the fact that we have to use our carrier, and transport the animal ourselves.  The last time we did that, it took days to get the urine smell out of the minivan (frightened animals tend to lose their ****.)

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #19592 on: February 20, 2013, 05:27:19 PM »
When I was in my early teens, I remember "saving" a wild baby bird.  That was over 40 years ago.  I was a great animal lover and I thought I was saving the baby bird's life.  It lived for a couple weeks, then died.  Now I know there are wild bird rescues and I would turn to one of them instead of trying to do it myself.  I recognize that, for all my love of animals, I am not qualified to care for a wild young 'un.

Now I won't even pet feral cats or feed any creature I do not shelter.  I am strongly opposed to feral cat colony caretakers and people who throw stale bread in the canal to feed the fish.  I have learned not to *enlighten* strangers who don't see the harm, so I'm not as obnoxious as I used to be.

There are plenty of domestic animals in need of good homes.  Leave the wild animals alone or let the professionals take over.

[stepping off my soapbox now]

I must admit to some confusion at the bolded statement. As far as I am aware 'the professionals' are all strongly supportive of feral cat colony caretakers. If you just mean that you're opposed to people who feed ferals without any attempt at TNR, then I can understand your reaction more. But then I wouldn't refer to those people as feral cat colony caretakers, either.

We'd do more TNR, if it weren't for the fact that we have to use our carrier, and transport the animal ourselves.  The last time we did that, it took days to get the urine smell out of the minivan (frightened animals tend to lose their ****.)

That is why we started using an old shower curtain/blanket. It soaks into the blanket and the shower curtain is under to to make sure any "overflow" doesn't stay in the car.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #19593 on: February 20, 2013, 05:30:43 PM »
Let's drop the feral cat discussion.  I PM'd the posters who questioned me.  I don't want this thread derailed into a discussion of feral cats.  That is why I will not post any more on the subject.  Anyone who wants to discuss the etiquette of feeding feral cats is welcome to start a thread or PM me.

I'm sorry I said anything.  It was just to illustrate that I no longer *help* wild animals.

Back to the SSs please :-*
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #19594 on: February 20, 2013, 05:51:26 PM »
This morning, I went to a gas station/convenience store for some coffee and half-n-half.  I encountered two Special Snowflakes there.  The first one was ahead of me when I was in line, and the cashier had to switch from one register to another.  There are four registers in sort of a kiosk-type structure near the two sets of doors (one on the left front of the store, and one on the right front of the store).  When the cashier switched registers it was from one side to the other, and the man ahead of me groused loudly, "Great, now I'll have to go around to get to the door..."  I assume he was parked on that side of the store, and was annoyed that he couldn't make a straight shot to his car.  Pardon me while I shed a tear of sympathy.  ::)  The cashier acted like she hadn't heard him, but her face turned red.

The second one was when I was in my car and leaving the parking lot.  I had to stop as someone crossed in front of me.  I would have stopped for him in any case, but he just sauntered out into the parking lot with his coffee without looking, and headed for the fuel pumps.  And then he made eye contact with me and walked veeeeeery slooooooooooowly.  The vibe I got from him was, 'I'll go at my own pace, and you will wait for me.'  Yeah, I will.  And I'll also mock you in my head, sir.  >:D
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 05:54:03 PM by CrochetFanatic »

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #19595 on: February 20, 2013, 06:05:52 PM »
I'm not so sure about these, but...

There's a petition site I keep track of, mostly curiosity.  The site is mostly about trying to change human rights/criminal acts etc., and a few cases have been honestly needed, and at least one of them has pressured the arrest of a criminal suspect.

However...

More and more of the petitions coming out of it sound less Human Rights, and more Snowflakey.

There was one fairly recently where a petition was going around because the local Game department was trying to fine them for keeping a deer.

According to them, they had found the young fawn along the road and it was horribly injured, so they kept it in their house to nurse it back to health.  The Game board found out about this and issued them with a fine for illegally owning a wild creature without permit, and I think the board must be right.  They, however, spinned a yarn into a sobstory of how the board was mean and how the animal would've died without them and they put up a petition asking people to sign so the board would back off.

Personally, I think the couple were snowflakey for taking in a severely wild animal and trying to care for it themselves and complaining when they got caught, versus taking it to a local vet or BLM, where it could receive proper care from people who were licensed to handle these kind of situations.  I know my local vet had plenty of injured, wild animals he's taken care of, a red tailed hawn and a bobcat included, who were later released back in the wild.

Weirdly, I know a family who took in an injured fawn. They did take it to a vet and it lost a leg, after they paid up the bill they called the game department (warden?) and told them about it, asking if they could pay a fee or something to keep the animal, since a three legged deer might not do well back in the woods.

They got a permit to keep it provided they had it horn buds removed. (No idea why) They just renew their permit once a year and they rave about how fair the game department is.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

Reika

« Reply #19596 on: February 20, 2013, 07:00:33 PM »
They got a permit to keep it provided they had it horn buds removed. (No idea why) They just renew their permit once a year and they rave about how fair the game department is.

Probably so they don't run the risk of getting gored once the horns are out.

HoneyBee42

« Reply #19597 on: February 20, 2013, 07:06:09 PM »
The DNR had actually sent someone to kill the fawn, but the fawn was back in the wild so they chose to pursue the couple (the husband was a police officer and if there was an issue really should have known).

The state of Indiana ended up dropping the case.With the uproar in this circumstance, imagine what social media would have had to say if the DNR had managed to kill the deer...which was all healed up and showed no signs of illness.
Yeah, if it's the same story, the fawn made it back into the wild awfully conveniently before DNR arrived.

I have no sympathy.  I've killed Bambi once (driving ... $2200 damage but fortunately I wasn't hurt).  Those things are just rats with hooves, and getting one that is too used to humans and then letting it go is just *asking* for someone else to encounter the darn critter with *their* car.

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #19598 on: February 20, 2013, 07:16:11 PM »

There's a petition site I keep track of, mostly curiosity.  The site is mostly about trying to change human rights/criminal acts etc., and a few cases have been honestly needed, and at least one of them has pressured the arrest of a criminal suspect.

However...

More and more of the petitions coming out of it sound less Human Rights, and more Snowflakey.

There was one fairly recently where a petition was going around because the local Game department was trying to fine them for keeping a deer.

According to them, they had found the young fawn along the road and it was horribly injured, so they kept it in their house to nurse it back to health.  The Game board found out about this and issued them with a fine for illegally owning a wild creature without permit, and I think the board must be right.  They, however, spinned a yarn into a sobstory of how the board was mean and how the animal would've died without them and they put up a petition asking people to sign so the board would back off.

Personally, I think the couple were snowflakey for taking in a severely wild animal and trying to care for it themselves and complaining when they got caught, versus taking it to a local vet or BLM, where it could receive proper care from people who were licensed to handle these kind of situations.  I know my local vet had plenty of injured, wild animals he's taken care of, a red tailed hawn and a bobcat included, who were later released back in the wild.

Weirdly, I know a family who took in an injured fawn. They did take it to a vet and it lost a leg, after they paid up the bill they called the game department (warden?) and told them about it, asking if they could pay a fee or something to keep the animal, since a three legged deer might not do well back in the woods.

EvilTraska would have relished the chance at a good venison leg that night.

Come to think of it..

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #19599 on: February 20, 2013, 07:17:00 PM »
The DNR had actually sent someone to kill the fawn, but the fawn was back in the wild so they chose to pursue the couple (the husband was a police officer and if there was an issue really should have known).

The state of Indiana ended up dropping the case.With the uproar in this circumstance, imagine what social media would have had to say if the DNR had managed to kill the deer...which was all healed up and showed no signs of illness.
Yeah, if it's the same story, the fawn made it back into the wild awfully conveniently before DNR arrived.

I have no sympathy.  I've killed Bambi once (driving ... $2200 damage but fortunately I wasn't hurt).  Those things are just rats with hooves, and getting one that is too used to humans and then letting it go is just *asking* for someone else to encounter the darn critter with *their* car.

That is completely, utterly untrue.

Rat doesn't taste nearly as good.   >:D

wheeitsme

« Reply #19600 on: February 20, 2013, 07:21:45 PM »
A fellow in the northern part of our province (New Brunswick) was killed by one of his penned deer a couple of years ago.  Who knew a white-tailed deer could do that?

The only animal to have killed a human in Yosemite Valley is a deer.  Their hooves are razor sharp. 

snowdragon

« Reply #19601 on: February 20, 2013, 07:22:15 PM »

I was just thinking it's a new entry into the rat scale

rat

rat with bushy tail ( squirrel)

big rat with prehensile tails ( 'possum)

rat with fluffy tail and wiggly nose ( rabbit)

rat with wings ( pigeon)

rat with bandit's mask ( raccoon)

ect.

but you're right rats do not taste as good as Bambi. 

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #19602 on: February 20, 2013, 08:10:29 PM »

I was just thinking it's a new entry into the rat scale

rat

rat with bushy tail ( squirrel)

big rat with prehensile tails ( 'possum)

rat with fluffy tail and wiggly nose ( rabbit)

rat with wings ( pigeon)

rat with bandit's mask ( raccoon)

ect.

but you're right rats do not taste as good as Bambi. 

Bambi venison in a lasagna - Garfield would never eat anything else if he ever got his paws on one......yuummm....I miss Mom's cooking sometimes.  I've never had the right kind of venison sausage.....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19603 on: February 20, 2013, 08:18:58 PM »
I think the customer I got on the phone tonight at the store was a bit of an SS. We will ship items to customers all over the country, and she is in TX, we're in NJ, and had ordered something Friday, knew Monday was a holiday, and was calling for the tracking number.

Ok fine, but only the managers have access to that info, so I very politely told her I'd be happy to take her info, and have the manager look it up, and someone would call her back. I did say, however, knowing we were super busy, that it might not be tonight,  but definitely tomorrow, that she would receive a callback.  Never once did I use any tone of voice other than my normal one. 

I guess my answer wasn't acceptable to her as she then proceeded to tell me I was rude, and how the lady she spoke with when she ordered her item was soooo much more pleasant, and if i was having a bad day, don't take it out on her, and that I needed to put someone else on the phone! I said "Ma'am, I'm very sorry if you thought I was rude, it was not my intention at all" (I know I wasn't).  she then announced "I WILL get a call back tonight" several times, and hung up on me.

Ok. the only thing i might have done differently was to simply say i would have the manager look up the info, and call her back as soon as possible. The reason I didn't do that was sometimes when they're busy, and I've asked for stuff like that from a manager, they've told me they are busy, and it will have to wait. So i didn't want the customer to get mad if we said we'd call today, and did not. 

I think she wanted us to fawn all over her, and say, oh yes, i will find that out right now, and call you back in the next 10 minutes, or whatever.

and my co-worker who overhead me, said i was in no way, shape, or form rude.

I was so angry, and this was the climax to an already frustrating day, plus i suspect some PMS, she made me cry. In 8 years, that's the first time its ever happened.  but on a good note, we were not busy, had an extra person on, so I got to leave an hour and a half early.

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #19604 on: February 20, 2013, 08:24:34 PM »

However...

EvilTraska would have relished the chance at a good venison leg that night.

Come to think of it..

I'm ashamed to admit, while I might pay for a deer's vet bills, I *would* ask if I could have the cut off leg.

And Mikado(the deer) is utterly spoiled. Very calm around people, and often reminds me of a sheep. He's not as energetic as an average goat but is VERY human socialized. He also comes into the house to watch TV. (The floor is cement, so his "mama" sweeps his gifts up and tosses them out the screen door.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]