Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5245044 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #19605 on: February 20, 2013, 08:10:29 PM »
The DNR had actually sent someone to kill the fawn, but the fawn was back in the wild so they chose to pursue the couple (the husband was a police officer and if there was an issue really should have known).

The state of Indiana ended up dropping the case.With the uproar in this circumstance, imagine what social media would have had to say if the DNR had managed to kill the deer...which was all healed up and showed no signs of illness.
Yeah, if it's the same story, the fawn made it back into the wild awfully conveniently before DNR arrived.

I have no sympathy.  I've killed Bambi once (driving ... $2200 damage but fortunately I wasn't hurt).  Those things are just rats with hooves, and getting one that is too used to humans and then letting it go is just *asking* for someone else to encounter the darn critter with *their* car.

That is completely, utterly untrue.

Rat doesn't taste nearly as good.   >:D

I was just thinking it's a new entry into the rat scale

rat

rat with bushy tail ( squirrel)

big rat with prehensile tails ( 'possum)

rat with fluffy tail and wiggly nose ( rabbit)

rat with wings ( pigeon)

rat with bandit's mask ( raccoon)

ect.

but you're right rats do not taste as good as Bambi. 

Bambi venison in a lasagna - Garfield would never eat anything else if he ever got his paws on one......yuummm....I miss Mom's cooking sometimes.  I've never had the right kind of venison sausage.....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19606 on: February 20, 2013, 08:18:58 PM »
I think the customer I got on the phone tonight at the store was a bit of an SS. We will ship items to customers all over the country, and she is in TX, we're in NJ, and had ordered something Friday, knew Monday was a holiday, and was calling for the tracking number.

Ok fine, but only the managers have access to that info, so I very politely told her I'd be happy to take her info, and have the manager look it up, and someone would call her back. I did say, however, knowing we were super busy, that it might not be tonight,  but definitely tomorrow, that she would receive a callback.  Never once did I use any tone of voice other than my normal one. 

I guess my answer wasn't acceptable to her as she then proceeded to tell me I was rude, and how the lady she spoke with when she ordered her item was soooo much more pleasant, and if i was having a bad day, don't take it out on her, and that I needed to put someone else on the phone! I said "Ma'am, I'm very sorry if you thought I was rude, it was not my intention at all" (I know I wasn't).  she then announced "I WILL get a call back tonight" several times, and hung up on me.

Ok. the only thing i might have done differently was to simply say i would have the manager look up the info, and call her back as soon as possible. The reason I didn't do that was sometimes when they're busy, and I've asked for stuff like that from a manager, they've told me they are busy, and it will have to wait. So i didn't want the customer to get mad if we said we'd call today, and did not. 

I think she wanted us to fawn all over her, and say, oh yes, i will find that out right now, and call you back in the next 10 minutes, or whatever.

and my co-worker who overhead me, said i was in no way, shape, or form rude.

I was so angry, and this was the climax to an already frustrating day, plus i suspect some PMS, she made me cry. In 8 years, that's the first time its ever happened.  but on a good note, we were not busy, had an extra person on, so I got to leave an hour and a half early.

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #19607 on: February 20, 2013, 08:24:34 PM »
I'm not so sure about these, but...

There's a petition site I keep track of, mostly curiosity.  The site is mostly about trying to change human rights/criminal acts etc., and a few cases have been honestly needed, and at least one of them has pressured the arrest of a criminal suspect.

However...

More and more of the petitions coming out of it sound less Human Rights, and more Snowflakey.

There was one fairly recently where a petition was going around because the local Game department was trying to fine them for keeping a deer.

According to them, they had found the young fawn along the road and it was horribly injured, so they kept it in their house to nurse it back to health.  The Game board found out about this and issued them with a fine for illegally owning a wild creature without permit, and I think the board must be right.  They, however, spinned a yarn into a sobstory of how the board was mean and how the animal would've died without them and they put up a petition asking people to sign so the board would back off.

Personally, I think the couple were snowflakey for taking in a severely wild animal and trying to care for it themselves and complaining when they got caught, versus taking it to a local vet or BLM, where it could receive proper care from people who were licensed to handle these kind of situations.  I know my local vet had plenty of injured, wild animals he's taken care of, a red tailed hawn and a bobcat included, who were later released back in the wild.

Weirdly, I know a family who took in an injured fawn. They did take it to a vet and it lost a leg, after they paid up the bill they called the game department (warden?) and told them about it, asking if they could pay a fee or something to keep the animal, since a three legged deer might not do well back in the woods.

They got a permit to keep it provided they had it horn buds removed. (No idea why) They just renew their permit once a year and they rave about how fair the game department is.

EvilTraska would have relished the chance at a good venison leg that night.

Come to think of it..

I'm ashamed to admit, while I might pay for a deer's vet bills, I *would* ask if I could have the cut off leg.

And Mikado(the deer) is utterly spoiled. Very calm around people, and often reminds me of a sheep. He's not as energetic as an average goat but is VERY human socialized. He also comes into the house to watch TV. (The floor is cement, so his "mama" sweeps his gifts up and tosses them out the screen door.

Jocelyn

« Reply #19608 on: February 20, 2013, 10:09:07 PM »
I thought the same thing about that post.  That poor receptionist.  She was only doing her job and this little witch was toying with her.  I felt bad for her.
On the other hand, I think that it's understandable for a bereaved person to be reluctant to say 'He's dead.' It could be that the caller paused after her first comment, gathering herself up to say, 'You see, he died last week', and the receptionist's speech about how everyone needed an appointment took her as being rather insensitive. Personally, I'd be unhappy if I called in to my health care provider, and was scolded about being overdue for an appointment. IMO, health care providers need to remember that it isn't just an individual's irresponsibility that leads them to not keep an appointment- it could be a tragedy intervened.

Minmom3

« Reply #19609 on: February 21, 2013, 12:42:16 AM »

There's a petition site I keep track of, mostly curiosity.  The site is mostly about trying to change human rights/criminal acts etc., and a few cases have been honestly needed, and at least one of them has pressured the arrest of a criminal suspect.

However...

More and more of the petitions coming out of it sound less Human Rights, and more Snowflakey.

There was one fairly recently where a petition was going around because the local Game department was trying to fine them for keeping a deer.

According to them, they had found the young fawn along the road and it was horribly injured, so they kept it in their house to nurse it back to health.  The Game board found out about this and issued them with a fine for illegally owning a wild creature without permit, and I think the board must be right.  They, however, spinned a yarn into a sobstory of how the board was mean and how the animal would've died without them and they put up a petition asking people to sign so the board would back off.

Personally, I think the couple were snowflakey for taking in a severely wild animal and trying to care for it themselves and complaining when they got caught, versus taking it to a local vet or BLM, where it could receive proper care from people who were licensed to handle these kind of situations.  I know my local vet had plenty of injured, wild animals he's taken care of, a red tailed hawn and a bobcat included, who were later released back in the wild.

Weirdly, I know a family who took in an injured fawn. They did take it to a vet and it lost a leg, after they paid up the bill they called the game department (warden?) and told them about it, asking if they could pay a fee or something to keep the animal, since a three legged deer might not do well back in the woods.

They got a permit to keep it provided they had it horn buds removed. (No idea why) They just renew their permit once a year and they rave about how fair the game department is.

If it's anything like goats - the horns get snagged on the darndest things, AND, being animals that instinctively use their heads to fight, defend, play, etc - people get HURT by those horns, even when goats have been hand raised from birth.  They also can kill themselves by getting them stuck places, sometimes at high speed.  Goats have been domesticated for a long time.  I can only imagine how a wild animal, even if socialized to 'those people and that place' could react when startled by something.  Antlers aren't something to mess around with, and a fence and antler intersection could be lethal, let alone what a proddy buckling could do to a person who inadvertently instigated hormonal behavior. Removing the horn buds would be easily done with a disbudding iron, (always assuming the deer is young enough to put in a restraining box such as is used on goat kids).  Goats shown by 4-H children cannot have any horns, and the kids are disbudded usually in their first week of life.  It's a lot harder to do when they get older, as those horns start to come in.  Deer would probably be much the same, I'm guessing.
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

Ginger G

« Reply #19610 on: February 21, 2013, 09:17:46 AM »
I guess my answer wasn't acceptable to her as she then proceeded to tell me I was rude, and how the lady she spoke with when she ordered her item was soooo much more pleasant, and if i was having a bad day, don't take it out on her, and that I needed to put someone else on the phone!

Believe me, I know how completely infuriating it is to be accused of being rude when you know you were not!  I remember at one of my first jobs when I was a teenager we had a new young male assistant manager and one night his girlfriend called up wanting to speak to him (this was way before cell phones).  I asked her to hold, but he said he was busy and would call her back.  I politely informed her of that and went back to work.  Later that night, he said she had complained about how "rude" I was to her!  I was so angry, there was no way any reasonable person could have thought I was rude.  It turned out that she was just highly jealous of him working with a bunch of young females and they broke up no long afterwards.

Cami

« Reply #19611 on: February 21, 2013, 10:36:15 AM »
I think the customer I got on the phone tonight at the store was a bit of an SS. We will ship items to customers all over the country, and she is in TX, we're in NJ, and had ordered something Friday, knew Monday was a holiday, and was calling for the tracking number.

Ok fine, but only the managers have access to that info, so I very politely told her I'd be happy to take her info, and have the manager look it up, and someone would call her back. I did say, however, knowing we were super busy, that it might not be tonight,  but definitely tomorrow, that she would receive a callback.  Never once did I use any tone of voice other than my normal one. 

I guess my answer wasn't acceptable to her as she then proceeded to tell me I was rude, and how the lady she spoke with when she ordered her item was soooo much more pleasant, and if i was having a bad day, don't take it out on her, and that I needed to put someone else on the phone! I said "Ma'am, I'm very sorry if you thought I was rude, it was not my intention at all" (I know I wasn't).  she then announced "I WILL get a call back tonight" several times, and hung up on me.

Ok. the only thing i might have done differently was to simply say i would have the manager look up the info, and call her back as soon as possible. The reason I didn't do that was sometimes when they're busy, and I've asked for stuff like that from a manager, they've told me they are busy, and it will have to wait. So i didn't want the customer to get mad if we said we'd call today, and did not. 

I think she wanted us to fawn all over her, and say, oh yes, i will find that out right now, and call you back in the next 10 minutes, or whatever.

I was so angry, and this was the climax to an already frustrating day, plus i suspect some PMS, she made me cry. In 8 years, that's the first time its ever happened.  but on a good note, we were not busy, had an extra person on, so I got to leave an hour and a half early.

An observation I've made over the years of dealing with the public is that people often throw around the words, "rude" and/or "mean" when they do not get the response they want.  The person called those words is actually perfectly polite and nice, but they get called "rude" and/or "mean" when they cannot give the person what they want right this minute.  As an example, I had someone call me "rude" the other day when I told her that the registration website for the event she wanted was not live yet. Our conversation consisted of this:

Her:  "I'm trying to register for XYZ but there is no link on your main website? The email said to try the  main website." [NOTE: The email also said that the website would not be live until February 15. She was calling on February 14.]
Me: "Yes, that's correct. I'm sorry for any inconvenience, but the website will not go live until tomorrow."
Her: "What do you mean? I wanted to register today!"
Me: "I'm sorry, but as the email indicated, the website won't be live until tomorrow. If you give me your  name and number, I'll call you back and let you know the minute it's live."
Her: "That's not what I want. I want it live now."
Me: "I'm sorry, but it's not live now. I can call you back--"
Her: "You are SO rude!"

I think it's in part due to the "customer's always right" ethos that has taught the irrational and demanding that they can get their way by accusing the employee of those two behaviors. And in part it's due to the entitlement culture that is so prevalent in society today that enables people to believe they can get what they want if they complain, pout or have enough temper tantrums.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 10:38:58 AM by Cami »

mmswm

« Reply #19612 on: February 21, 2013, 10:44:46 AM »
Please tell me if I was SS.  Last night, I went to a church event called "Soup for the Soul."  This event consists of people bringing in various soups to share and then having a mini-lecture and activity that relates to our faith in every day life. I did not want to go, but got dragged there by my parents.  The reason I didn't want to go is because I have a severe food allergy.  Even the tiniest amount of cross contamination can send me into anaphylaxis.  My mother made a soup that I didn't like.  She told me about the event at the last minute.  If I'd had more warning, I'd have made something myself to make sure there was something there I could eat.  Since I didn't like what she made, and since I'm paranoid and don't trust that other people's kitchens are safe for me, I elected to just socialize and eat some boxed crackers that were on one of the tables. I tried to be discrete as possible about the fact that I wasn't really eating. I got accused of being snobbish for not eating.  Was I being a snob?
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

MrTango

« Reply #19613 on: February 21, 2013, 10:51:57 AM »
Please tell me if I was SS.  Last night, I went to a church event called "Soup for the Soul."  This event consists of people bringing in various soups to share and then having a mini-lecture and activity that relates to our faith in every day life. I did not want to go, but got dragged there by my parents.  The reason I didn't want to go is because I have a severe food allergy.  Even the tiniest amount of cross contamination can send me into anaphylaxis.  My mother made a soup that I didn't like.  She told me about the event at the last minute.  If I'd had more warning, I'd have made something myself to make sure there was something there I could eat.  Since I didn't like what she made, and since I'm paranoid and don't trust that other people's kitchens are safe for me, I elected to just socialize and eat some boxed crackers that were on one of the tables. I tried to be discrete as possible about the fact that I wasn't really eating. I got accused of being snobbish for not eating.  Was I being a snob?

Not at all.  Now, if you'd pitched a fit in public about it, that would be a different story.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19614 on: February 21, 2013, 11:13:31 AM »
I worked on the phones for a bank.  A customer called and after telling her I need to ask security questions for her protection, I started to ask(we only require three).  After the second question, she started ranting and raving and demanded I transfer her to a supervisor to complain about me for asking all those questions.  I don't care since I did nothing wrong.  It's your money lady.  I guess you don't care about security.

A few weeks later she called again.  She must have recognized my voice because she demanded I transfer her to someone else.  I shrug.  There was an over 20 minute wait for another rep to be free  >:D.

The third time she called, she was perfectly nice.  She must have figured out all the reps ask the same questions and I wasn't trying to give her a hard time.  Too late.  I'll be professional and answer your questions, but I will not go the extra step* for you.  It's not revenge.  I'm just afraid to say anything extra in case it'll set her off again.

*I try to save people money, even if it's just by telling you a different type of account draws more interest or have less fees.  Or that you are below your minimum balance but here's a few things you can do.  And those were the minor stuff.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 11:15:11 AM by rose red »

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19615 on: February 21, 2013, 11:14:48 AM »

An observation I've made over the years of dealing with the public is that people often throw around the words, "rude" and/or "mean" when they do not get the response they want.  The person called those words is actually perfectly polite and nice, but they get called "rude" and/or "mean" when they cannot give the person what they want right this minute.  As an example, I had someone call me "rude" the other day when I told her that the registration website for the event she wanted was not live yet. Our conversation consisted of this:

Her:  "I'm trying to register for XYZ but there is no link on your main website? The email said to try the  main website." [NOTE: The email also said that the website would not be live until February 15. She was calling on February 14.]
Me: "Yes, that's correct. I'm sorry for any inconvenience, but the website will not go live until tomorrow."
Her: "What do you mean? I wanted to register today!"
Me: "I'm sorry, but as the email indicated, the website won't be live until tomorrow. If you give me your  name and number, I'll call you back and let you know the minute it's live."
Her: "That's not what I want. I want it live now."
Me: "I'm sorry, but it's not live now. I can call you back--"
Her: "You are SO rude!"

I think it's in part due to the "customer's always right" ethos that has taught the irrational and demanding that they can get their way by accusing the employee of those two behaviors. And in part it's due to the entitlement culture that is so prevalent in society today that enables people to believe they can get what they want if they complain, pout or have enough temper tantrums.

I totally agree, and that was my assessment of my interaction with this customer. I think she was annoyed she couldln't get an immediate answer, and perhaps isn't used to be told "no" because she complains and whines and in the end, gets her way.  So her way of dealing with her "frustration" at not getting what she wanted was to call me rude, when in fact, the only rudeness was on HER part.

I did everything I could but I simply didn't have the info she wanted at that very moment. I can't help that only managers can access certain parts of the system, which is in the office, and not on the floor.

And I'm right there with you on the entitlement mentality. I hear it every day, both at work, and out and about. It's always someone ELSE'S fault that someone didn't get what they wanted, never mind, sometimes it simply isn't possible or falls within policy to give them what they want.

doodlemor

« Reply #19616 on: February 21, 2013, 11:16:06 AM »

You were not a snob, nor were you rude to quietly watch out for your diet.

The person who told you that you were a snob was rude for noticing that you were not eating and making a remark about it, and also for name-calling you a snob.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19617 on: February 21, 2013, 11:19:31 AM »
I worked on the phones for a bank.  A customer called and after telling her I need to ask security questions for her protection, I started to ask(we only require three).  After the second question, she started ranting and raving and demanded I transfer her to a supervisor to complain about me for asking all those questions.  I don't care since I did nothing wrong.  It's your money lady.  I guess you don't care about security.

A few weeks later she called again.  She must have recognized my voice because she demanded I transfer her to someone else.  I shrug.  There was an over 20 minute wait for another rep to be free  >:D.

The third time she called, she was perfectly nice.  She must have figured out all the reps ask the same questions and I wasn't trying to give her a hard time.  Too late.  I'll be professional and answer your questions, but I will not go the extra step* for you.  It's not revenge.  I'm just afraid to say anything extra in case it'll set her off again.

*I try to save people money, even if it's just by telling you a different type of account draws more interest or have less fees.  Or that you are below your minimum balance but here's a few things you can do.  And those were the minor stuff.

I am the same way. Working in retail, I get all kinds. I get the demanding, entitled customers who think they should get whatever they want, even if its against policy. And if they whine and moan enough, we will give in. Sorry, but no.

Then there are some who I will go the extra mile for, or perhaps slightly bend policy. Those are the nice ones. Technically, if someone buys something at full price, then say gets an email or coupon a cuople days later that the store is now 25% off, we are not supposed to do any type of price adjustment. But....we do have a little bit of leeway, in whcih we can return and repurchase their items, giving them the discount.

Those who ask nicely, don't demand, and don't pitch a fit, I'll do it for.  Those who come in with attitude, and demand that I do it, sorry, no can do.  I am still professional with ALL customers, but am just more likely to go a little extra above and beyond if you're nice and not nasty to me.

Miss Tickle

« Reply #19618 on: February 21, 2013, 11:35:22 AM »

However...

If it's anything like goats - the horns get snagged on the darndest things, AND, being animals that instinctively use their heads to fight, defend, play, etc - people get HURT by those horns, even when goats have been hand raised from birth.  They also can kill themselves by getting them stuck places, sometimes at high speed.  Goats have been domesticated for a long time.  I can only imagine how a wild animal, even if socialized to 'those people and that place' could react when startled by something.  Antlers aren't something to mess around with, and a fence and antler intersection could be lethal, let alone what a proddy buckling could do to a person who inadvertently instigated hormonal behavior. Removing the horn buds would be easily done with a disbudding iron, (always assuming the deer is young enough to put in a restraining box such as is used on goat kids).  Goats shown by 4-H children cannot have any horns, and the kids are disbudded usually in their first week of life.  It's a lot harder to do when they get older, as those horns start to come in.  Deer would probably be much the same, I'm guessing.
All the deer talk reminded me of this (I hope this is permitted):
http://www.thunting.com/smf/humour_jokes/how_not_to_catch_a_deer-t2069.0.html

LibraryLady

« Reply #19619 on: February 21, 2013, 11:39:36 AM »
Siamesecat,

did you HAVE to say the SS was from Texas and you were in NJ?  Now everyone will think Texans are SSs   ;D
and we aren't!!!  She was probably from Dallas, they are real spesh-ul there   ;)

LL