Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5079292 times)

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #19620 on: February 21, 2013, 11:40:19 AM »
She was probably from Dallas, they are real spesh-ul there   ;)

LL

Hey!
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19621 on: February 21, 2013, 11:44:59 AM »
Siamesecat,

did you HAVE to say the SS was from Texas and you were in NJ?  Now everyone will think Texans are SSs   ;D
and we aren't!!!  She was probably from Dallas, they are real spesh-ul there   ;)

LL

hahaha - don't worry, I don't think that. I just meant to show that since it was so far, i dealt with her via phone only. She was her OWN speshul SS

And one of my best friends from college lives in the DFW area, and she is MOST definitely not an SS

Reader

« Reply #19622 on: February 21, 2013, 03:12:25 PM »
Ran into one at my local brewery last night.  For background I have hair almost to my waist.  When working I wear it up in a bun secured by two clips.  I also work 11 hour days. So the bun will loosen and need to readjusted. I'm also on the end of a head cold, and been suffering from insomnia. So at eleven at night I was not at top form, just stopped in for a beer to help me sleep, and adding a sample portion of their spicy pepper beer.  So I'm sitting at the bar and slightly readjusting the clips to be tighter, and I have my arms up and bent behind my head.  All of a sudden I feel a poke in my armpit.  Thinking it might have been a friend, I twist in my seat to see who poked me and it's a complete stranger I do not know.   Thinking he might be an acquaintance through someone I know, I ask if I know him.  He replies no.  I tell him please don't touch me.  He says "it was just a tickle or little tickle", to which I respond you should respect strangers personal space.  I get the you are being rude and that I don't like people, and then turns his back to me and ignores me.  Evil Reader at this point wishes I would have not suppressed the urge I normally get when I get surprised, which would have been to probably elbow the person especially since it was a tickle spot on me and I have a tendency to jerk away and in that process he might have been hit  >:D.

For reference I once had coworkers that though it would be funny to have one hide under the counter at a previous job, then call me up, have employee #1 distract me, while from his hiding spot employee #2 grabs my leg.  His arm received many bruises in trying to defend myself following the  immediate adrenaline rush of get it off get it off reaction I get when grabbed/surprised.  It took employee #2 3 times of saying my name before it registered to my brain what was going on.  All while employee#1 is laughing his bacon fed knave off. 

mmswm

« Reply #19623 on: February 21, 2013, 03:16:15 PM »
Please tell me if I was SS.  Last night, I went to a church event called "Soup for the Soul."  This event consists of people bringing in various soups to share and then having a mini-lecture and activity that relates to our faith in every day life. I did not want to go, but got dragged there by my parents.  The reason I didn't want to go is because I have a severe food allergy.  Even the tiniest amount of cross contamination can send me into anaphylaxis.  My mother made a soup that I didn't like.  She told me about the event at the last minute.  If I'd had more warning, I'd have made something myself to make sure there was something there I could eat.  Since I didn't like what she made, and since I'm paranoid and don't trust that other people's kitchens are safe for me, I elected to just socialize and eat some boxed crackers that were on one of the tables. I tried to be discrete as possible about the fact that I wasn't really eating. I got accused of being snobbish for not eating.  Was I being a snob?

You were not a snob, nor were you rude to quietly watch out for your diet.

The person who told you that you were a snob was rude for noticing that you were not eating and making a remark about it, and also for name-calling you a snob.

Okay, good.  I was surprised at the remark and thought maybe I was being snobbish and being off putting by not "joining in the community." I was there.  I was socializing.  I was trying really hard not to make it obvious that I wasn't eating.  I got a little unsure of myself after that comment.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

mmswm

« Reply #19624 on: February 21, 2013, 03:21:18 PM »
Ran into one at my local brewery last night.  For background I have hair almost to my waist.  When working I wear it up in a bun secured by two clips.  I also work 11 hour days. So the bun will loosen and need to readjusted. I'm also on the end of a head cold, and been suffering from insomnia. So at eleven at night I was not at top form, just stopped in for a beer to help me sleep, and adding a sample portion of their spicy pepper beer.  So I'm sitting at the bar and slightly readjusting the clips to be tighter, and I have my arms up and bent behind my head.  All of a sudden I feel a poke in my armpit.  Thinking it might have been a friend, I twist in my seat to see who poked me and it's a complete stranger I do not know.   Thinking he might be an acquaintance through someone I know, I ask if I know him.  He replies no.  I tell him please don't touch me.  He says "it was just a tickle or little tickle", to which I respond you should respect strangers personal space.  I get the you are being rude and that I don't like people, and then turns his back to me and ignores me.  Evil Reader at this point wishes I would have not suppressed the urge I normally get when I get surprised, which would have been to probably elbow the person especially since it was a tickle spot on me and I have a tendency to jerk away and in that process he might have been hit  >:D.

For reference I once had coworkers that though it would be funny to have one hide under the counter at a previous job, then call me up, have employee #1 distract me, while from his hiding spot employee #2 grabs my leg.  His arm received many bruises in trying to defend myself following the  immediate adrenaline rush of get it off get it off reaction I get when grabbed/surprised.  It took employee #2 3 times of saying my name before it registered to my brain what was going on.  All while employee#1 is laughing his bacon fed knave off.

I had a boss try that carp on me once when I was still at university.  He found himself on his back at my feet because my first instinct was to take down the attacker coming at me from behind.  I'm a little jumpy. He tried to get angry at me, saying he was "just having fun" and said he was going to write me up for violence in the workplace.  I told him "You do that.  Let me go find that sexual harassment report line."  He dropped it, but I put in my two weeks notice that day.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Shalamar

« Reply #19625 on: February 21, 2013, 03:54:35 PM »
Gah.  I love my parents to death, but I've found that I cannot stretch with my arms over my head around them, because they WILL poke me in the armpits, and I HATE that.

Also, for some reason, my mum doesn't like it when I stand with my hands on my hips - she thinks that I take up too much room, or something.  She'll often deliberately walk into my pointed-out elbows (does that make sense?).

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #19626 on: February 21, 2013, 03:59:12 PM »
Gah.  I love my parents to death, but I've found that I cannot stretch with my arms over my head around them, because they WILL poke me in the armpits, and I HATE that.

Also, for some reason, my mum doesn't like it when I stand with my hands on my hips - she thinks that I take up too much room, or something.  She'll often deliberately walk into my pointed-out elbows (does that make sense?).

It makes no sense, but I understood you.  :D

Shalamar

« Reply #19627 on: February 21, 2013, 05:03:12 PM »
Thanks, Traska:)

Ran into a special snowflake today at work.  Without getting too specific, we sell services to clients, and they have various options to pay for those services.  They can pay for the entire year outright, or two payments for the year (one every six months), or one payment every month.  SS opted for the "two payments" option.  Last summer, he was supposed to make his second payment, but he didn't.  He got a letter in the mail that basically said "Pay up or we'll cancel your subscription."  He didn't, and we cancelled him a month later.

Fast-forward to today.  He called us up, screaming, saying that our website had said he was paid in full, so why did we cancel him?  When we said "That's not possible", he said "Then re-create the webpage so that I can prove it!"

Right.  Re-create the webpage from months ago.   Not gonna happen.

peach2play

« Reply #19628 on: February 21, 2013, 05:45:13 PM »
*sigh* I hosted some very special snowflakes on Tuesday.  My friend Mikeis moving on Saturday, and I wanted to throw him a going away dinner.  He's only been in town for a few weeks and doesn't know very many people but he is a very interesting person having lived in Alaska for a long time and has lots of awesome stories.  I invited my best friend (who I may be stepping back from that designation after this), my friend Spooph, and my roommate, Dan, over to meet Mike and have dinner. 

My ex-housesitter, Hana, wanted to come over after work to pick some more of her stuff up and drop off some stuff she had for Dan.  She was supposed to get to my house around 6, dinner was at 7.

My BFF showed up in a really weird, passive aggressive mood, and Hana showed up at 7:45PM.  When Hana showed up, I offered to let her stay for dinner, but I'm not sure I made it clear this was a going away party which was my mistake.  Hana said no, but did grab a beer and dessert that I offered and started to talk to Dan and BFF.  Mark was trying to tell me a story, but the little group of three were getting louder and louder talking about cars.  I looked over and said in a firm voice, "Guys, you're yelling."  Hana said, "I'll bet if we were talking about motorcycles you wouldn't care."  Mike was crestfallen because it was an awesome story and Dan and BFF had been listening until Hana showed up.  I now owe Mike an apology and Hana and BFF are on the "Maybe I Need to Cool the relationship Off" List. 

I talked to my BFF today and told him I was tired of my friends being really selfish.  He apologized, but I don't think he'll be over for dinner for a while.  Hana won't be invited over for a while either. GRR

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #19629 on: February 21, 2013, 07:04:09 PM »
*sigh* I hosted some very special snowflakes on Tuesday.  My friend Mikeis moving on Saturday, and I wanted to throw him a going away dinner.  He's only been in town for a few weeks and doesn't know very many people but he is a very interesting person having lived in Alaska for a long time and has lots of awesome stories.  I invited my best friend (who I may be stepping back from that designation after this), my friend Spooph, and my roommate, Dan, over to meet Mike and have dinner. 

My ex-housesitter, Hana, wanted to come over after work to pick some more of her stuff up and drop off some stuff she had for Dan.  She was supposed to get to my house around 6, dinner was at 7.

My BFF showed up in a really weird, passive aggressive mood, and Hana showed up at 7:45PM.  When Hana showed up, I offered to let her stay for dinner, but I'm not sure I made it clear this was a going away party which was my mistake.  Hana said no, but did grab a beer and dessert that I offered and started to talk to Dan and BFF.  Mark was trying to tell me a story, but the little group of three were getting louder and louder talking about cars.  I looked over and said in a firm voice, "Guys, you're yelling."  Hana said, "I'll bet if we were talking about motorcycles you wouldn't care."  Mike was crestfallen because it was an awesome story and Dan and BFF had been listening until Hana showed up.  I now owe Mike an apology and Hana and BFF are on the "Maybe I Need to Cool the relationship Off" List. 

I talked to my BFF today and told him I was tired of my friends being really selfish.  He apologized, but I don't think he'll be over for dinner for a while.  Hana won't be invited over for a while either. GRR

I'm not entirely sure I understand.  They started to get loud and you scolded them.  Hana didn't take well to it, but the entire conversation stopped there?  They didn't continue in quieter voices?

Also, why is this one instance cause for cooling a relationship?  I get loud, a lot, and would have to think that was fully driving away friends because they wouldn't sit down to talk with me about trying to be quieter.

FTR, I really do try to watch getting loud, but I know I don't always catch it.  I have no problem with people asking me to quiet down some on the rare occasions I don't catch myself.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #19630 on: February 21, 2013, 07:35:31 PM »

I'm not entirely sure I understand.  They started to get loud and you scolded them.  Hana didn't take well to it, but the entire conversation stopped there?  They didn't continue in quieter voices?

Also, why is this one instance cause for cooling a relationship?  I get loud, a lot, and would have to think that was fully driving away friends because they wouldn't sit down to talk with me about trying to be quieter.

FTR, I really do try to watch getting loud, but I know I don't always catch it.  I have no problem with people asking me to quiet down some on the rare occasions I don't catch myself.

I think it wasn't just volume but also interrupting/hijacking the conversation, ignoring the guest of honour/host when they are trying to talk, and being snippy with the host when she told them to cool it.

I'd be reconsidering future invites as well.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #19631 on: February 21, 2013, 09:06:08 PM »
The Texas/Dallas jokes reminded me of this.

There was going to be a G/T conference in Houston and our principal was willing to pay our fee to attend. All the G/T teachers on our campus joined the professonal organization and the district paid for the conference.

We did not get our creditials when other schools did. So a coworker called them. We were told they never received our money - but I had a copy of my check from online banking showing their deposit information. Others did also and the district had the actual check. We offered to fax them copies - no. Their solution was we go to the conference pay full fees and if they found our payment they would refund the prepaid (lower cost) amount.

I had them give me the number and called the G/T people - noting the Dallas Area code.

My threat basically went like this.
We have proof you deposited our checks. You will accept our faxing copies of said checks showing your deposit information, and will overnight our creditals. Other wise I will be turning this over to my personal lawyer. (Lawyer's name (well known in some circles)). He is my father's frat brother from U of H's (Frat) - they were founding members of U of H charter. Their frat brothers include (Local news director). I'm sure Local news director would love to his crew to show up at the convention with copies of our checks showing you deposited them - and ask why a bunch of Highland Park women are ripping off a Houston Title I school were 97% of the students are on the free or reduced lunch program.

The reply was no need to fax the copies of the check your credentials will be at your school by Noon tomorrow.

I hang up the phone and tell my co-workers that we will have our credentials by noon. (The conference was in 2 days so this was plenty of time). They are staring at me slack jawed. One of them says "You really did grow up in Memorial, remind me never to tick you off"

(BG - There is an on going rivalry between Houston and Dallas.  If it had gone public that they had taken our money and ripped us off it might have been nothing - it might have been a major blow up depending on the news of the day.  Highland Park is wealthy area of Dallas. Memorial is a mix of old and new more new than old. Yes I grew up there but in a 1970's ranch house that was built before the neighborhood really took off - the coworker who made the comment knows exactly were I grew up - she is from Spring Branch - the "other side of the Tracks")
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Jocelyn

« Reply #19632 on: February 21, 2013, 10:06:03 PM »
Please tell me if I was SS.  Last night, I went to a church event called "Soup for the Soul."  This event consists of people bringing in various soups to share and then having a mini-lecture and activity that relates to our faith in every day life. I did not want to go, but got dragged there by my parents.  The reason I didn't want to go is because I have a severe food allergy.  Even the tiniest amount of cross contamination can send me into anaphylaxis.  My mother made a soup that I didn't like.  She told me about the event at the last minute.  If I'd had more warning, I'd have made something myself to make sure there was something there I could eat.  Since I didn't like what she made, and since I'm paranoid and don't trust that other people's kitchens are safe for me, I elected to just socialize and eat some boxed crackers that were on one of the tables. I tried to be discrete as possible about the fact that I wasn't really eating. I got accused of being snobbish for not eating.  Was I being a snob?
t is not rude to decline to participate in a pot luck due to food allergies. It is rude to comment on someone else's food choices (except to inquire if they would like some). It is exceptionally rude to criticize someone else's food choices, or to assume that there is some sinister reason behind their stated reason for declining the food.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #19633 on: February 21, 2013, 10:15:23 PM »
Had one this morning when I got into work. I'm a library assistant at a small college library and my boss works next to me at the big desk. We were taking about something in normal, or below normal voices, and this student comes up to me and asks me to lower my voice as she can't hear the student next to her (who is actually rather soft spoken).

Now I was talking in abnormal, or lower than normal voice, as its study week and we get a lot of stents in here. But, as its study week we have LOTS of them coming in here and making noise, making a lot more noise than we were my boss and I were just astounded that she'd even think of requesting something, she said "Yes, ok to the girl' (as we can't tell the students off as they bring in $$$$) and we started talking again, both of us astonished.

But it gets better! 20 minutes later we had a whole crowd of students in there being rather loud, not very but louder than I was. She didn't say anything to them, of course, and we just watched to see if they were going to stay and be loud before we said anything. (they weren't, they dispersed)

An hour after she talked to me, her group at the table were being loud, as in we could hear them for, where we sat half way across the room. And this was in a social 'talking and laughing' kind of way that DOES disturb other students. I have to confess there was a bit of small bit of satisfaction I felt when I went over to her group and politely asked them to lower their voices, as we can hear you all the way at the desk.

BatCity

• Duct Tape and Chicken Wire
« Reply #19634 on: February 21, 2013, 10:48:09 PM »
I hope this one doesn't come out wrong, because the whole thing is pretty complicated and I'm leaving out some details.

I manage a training group for a software company in a large metro area.  We do some classroom training and can go to a customer site at their request.

A couple of months ago we had a request from a customer to have a class at their site for the last week in February (next week, as we go to press). It was confirmed via email, but we still had to have them turn in some documents before we could get it on the calendar...nothing they hadn't done before.  They knew that plans couldn't be finalized until we had said documents.

Except right after this, the contact for the client completely disappeared. We could not reach her, no matter what. This went on for over a month until finally, two weeks before the class, I was getting pressure to schedule a class for another client and had to make a decision one way or the other. I left a few more messages for the client telling her that we could only hold the dates for her for X more days, then called her once more to tell her that we'd have to reschedule.

I finally heard back from her two days ago (and after 10 PM, at that). She didn't apologize, she just said that we WOULD still do the onsite on the days we had agreed on.

Fortunately, I have a backbone and told her it wouldn't be possible at this late date, and that I was sorry I wasn't able to reach her before.

Of course, once she was finally convinced that the training wasn't going to happen next week, she agreed to move it to a later date.