Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5041561 times)

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #19785 on: February 28, 2013, 10:11:23 AM »
Does the MOB have any idea what topics are covered in that counseling?  :o

With a tip-off from the church secretary, I'm sure the first topic will be "keeping your in-laws from interfering in your marriage."

I would certainly hope so!

/wonders if the church secretary is an E-Hellion.

When friend's sister started teasing her mother about her blunder, Mom tried to cover it up with she misunderstood what type of "counseling" the secretary was referring to and she thought it was a discussion on the marriage ceremony, like whether to have full mass and some of the more Spanish wedding traditions like the lasso or coins. But none of us are buying that. We are pretty sure she thinks she could give some "third party" insight to the priest about friend are her fiance.

Mom will never live this down. Friend's sis and MOH is trying to figure out how she can include in into her wedding speach. >:D

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19786 on: February 28, 2013, 10:21:36 AM »
ladyknight1 wrote:

"Does the MOB have any idea what topics are covered in that counseling?"

Maybe I'm missing something, but since we're discussing pre-marriage counseling I assumed it would be the priest getting a feel for whether they were both prepared and willing to be married, not any sort of "how-to" for married life.  While it's not something I'd expect a parent to be involved in, it never struck me that they'd cover something in pre-wedding counseling that would necessarily be extremely intimate.

Virg

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #19787 on: February 28, 2013, 10:35:49 AM »
I used to think my pants were crazy until I got to really know about some of my friends' parents. Then I thanked mine for being sane and reasonable - and confused them. :)

Then I started reading eHell......

Odd, for me, it has always been my shoes that are a little psychotic.   ;)
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19788 on: February 28, 2013, 10:50:24 AM »
I used to think my pants were crazy until I got to really know about some of my friends' parents. Then I thanked mine for being sane and reasonable - and confused them. :)

Mr. Thipu has a piece of headware I call his orthopedic hat.   ;D

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #19789 on: February 28, 2013, 10:55:42 AM »
ladyknight1 wrote:

"Does the MOB have any idea what topics are covered in that counseling?"

Maybe I'm missing something, but since we're discussing pre-marriage counseling I assumed it would be the priest getting a feel for whether they were both prepared and willing to be married, not any sort of "how-to" for married life.  While it's not something I'd expect a parent to be involved in, it never struck me that they'd cover something in pre-wedding counseling that would necessarily be extremely intimate.

Virg

From way back when I did pre-marriage counseling it was intimate stuff in that it was things I would not want to discuss in front of anyone - especially my parents. We took this quiz that had a bunch of basic questions about what we expected from married life - things like wanting kids, how you expect chores to be distributed, how much free time you expect to spend together. Then the quizzes were compared and areas where there were differences were discussing. So if I said I expected the housework to be 50/50 and DH said he expected I would do it all that would then be brought up as an issue that should be resolved ahead of time. So now - it wasn't that "intimate" but it also wasn't anything anyone else had any business being a part of.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #19790 on: February 28, 2013, 11:16:17 AM »
We did a similar survey  with our pastor.

As for sex, he likened it a postage stamp--you can craft a lovely letter, choose your words and hopes carefully, match the perfect envelope, etc...

but without a little postage stamp (sex), your letter (marriage) will not go anywhere!
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

Shalamar

« Reply #19791 on: February 28, 2013, 11:30:22 AM »

Britches be crazy, man.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #19792 on: February 28, 2013, 11:34:05 AM »

Britches be crazy, man.

And here's your complimentary internet...

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #19793 on: February 28, 2013, 11:38:38 AM »
If the premarital counseling is Catholic, it will also include some discussion of intimacy, natural family planning and birth control, etc.  There are also discussions about what you expect from intimacy and things like that as well.  Not something you want your mother/MIL at.  And as somebody else pointed out, even the innocuous questions about expectations for married life are things that you don't want your mother/MIL hovering over you, making points, scoring one party against the other, and generally butting in over, not to mention the huge wealth of personal information she'd get from it.  If she discovered that they wanted to wait for kids and then they had a honeymoon baby, she could have such fun crowing out their "accident" even if it would have never occurred to anybody else in their life that the baby was an accident.  And even if it *wasn't*, they'd changed their minds!

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #19794 on: February 28, 2013, 02:49:14 PM »
My supervisor said "Wait, is that the guy [followed by long, accurate description of Bean}?"  We said "Yep."  "Yeah," said Supervisor, if I'm still here when he applies for a job, I'm going with NO.  I don't want a coworker who spends his free time on [name of revolting, lascivious website]."

Given the titles of the movies Bean keeps asking me to buy (and which I keep rejecting because--ewww) I believe it.

Is revolting website illegal or contains illegal material? If not, then I think it is none of anybody's business what he enjoys in his private time, as long as it doesn't affect work performance. I would be worried about the fact that he is lazy, incompetent and isn't learning what he needs to know.

I know too many people who would say exactly the same thing about a gay person, transgendered person, promiscuous person, religious person, atheist, single parent, immigrant, etc. It is not different.

AngelicGamer

« Reply #19795 on: February 28, 2013, 03:02:39 PM »
My supervisor said "Wait, is that the guy [followed by long, accurate description of Bean}?"  We said "Yep."  "Yeah," said Supervisor, if I'm still here when he applies for a job, I'm going with NO.  I don't want a coworker who spends his free time on [name of revolting, lascivious website]."

Given the titles of the movies Bean keeps asking me to buy (and which I keep rejecting because--ewww) I believe it.

Is revolting website illegal or contains illegal material? If not, then I think it is none of anybody's business what he enjoys in his private time, as long as it doesn't affect work performance. I would be worried about the fact that he is lazy, incompetent and isn't learning what he needs to know.
<snip>

It's probably a website that should be blocked on library computers due to nudity or another issue that would be against their TOS of using a library computer.  He's probably found a way to go around the block to get to the website. 

However, if he is, then he could be blocked from using the computers in a normal library.  In Yarnspinner's library, Stonecold probably did away with that rule or something boneheaded.

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #19796 on: February 28, 2013, 03:10:29 PM »

Britches be crazy, man.

Diet Mountain Dew, meet screen.  ;D
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #19797 on: February 28, 2013, 03:13:14 PM »

Britches be crazy, man.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Yarnspinner

« Reply #19798 on: February 28, 2013, 03:19:20 PM »

<snip>

It's probably a website that should be blocked on library computers due to nudity or another issue that would be against their TOS of using a library computer.  He's probably found a way to go around the block to get to the website. 

However, if he is, then he could be blocked from using the computers in a normal library.  In Yarnspinner's library, Stonecold probably did away with that rule or something boneheaded.

If Bean wants to look at people sharing a 'special" rel@tionship w/farm animals (which is the site I understand he was on) in his private time, that's dandy.  But the keyword here is 'private".  Bean uses our computers for his browsing and our privacy screens have only so many ways to be private.  We've had complaints about him (and others) and I believe their right to free pr0n ends where the rights of others not to have to see/hear it begin.

As Angelic Gamer mentioned we comply with ALA standards and do not filter our computers.   Bean isn't the only problem...we've had to break up groups of gentlemen watching some very, very nasty stuff for the purposes of...a hands-in-pocket party Trying not to get shut  down/banned or locked here as it really isn't an etiquette question and more of a legal one.

Further, Bean's desire to watch films in which women are abused, tortured and otherwise ill used is certainly his right...but I don't think I can defend spending taxpayer dollars on what are known as 53xploitation films.

But you are right.  I am mostly concerned that if he is able to get his MLS and winds up working here, he will just be making more work for the properly trained and motivated people out there.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #19799 on: February 28, 2013, 03:22:05 PM »
I do believe that is illegal, Yarnspinner, in many places (animal cruelty).

Honestly, I think library filters should be very, very tight since, as you said, it is public money and there are a lot of people around that really, really don't want to see it.