Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5522415 times)

weeblewobble

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #19860 on: March 05, 2013, 09:59:27 PM »
People who snuggle alcohol in cruise ships.

Really, the drinks are cheap compared to land ($9 martinis which are usually $15 to $20) and they go to do much effort to conceal the grog with the risk of it getting found...

Why bother?

I find the thought of snuggling with one's alcohol a bit disturbing under any circumstances.  >:D

Sorry, couldn't resist.

And if they snuggle alcohol while wearing a snuggie? DOUBLE JEOPARDY!!

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19861 on: March 05, 2013, 10:32:26 PM »
HAH! This is my favorite Snowflake explanation ever. I just saw a news story about a woman complaining because her gym suddenly cancelled her membership after she answered a phone call while using one of the machines. (Gym, btw, says this was a repeated problem, not just once.) The reporter interviewing her pointed out that there are signs posted all over the place warning people not to use phones except in the lobby and asked why she did it anyway. Her response?

"It was instinctual. I saw the name and I answered. Oh my God. We don't have a Pope right now. The earth is swallowing people alive."

The lack of a Pope doesn't really affect my day to day life, but jerks shouting on their phones in the gym definitely do. Yay for this gym. :)

snowdragon

« Reply #19862 on: March 05, 2013, 10:48:48 PM »
HAH! This is my favorite Snowflake explanation ever. I just saw a news story about a woman complaining because her gym suddenly cancelled her membership after she answered a phone call while using one of the machines. (Gym, btw, says this was a repeated problem, not just once.) The reporter interviewing her pointed out that there are signs posted all over the place warning people not to use phones except in the lobby and asked why she did it anyway. Her response?

"It was instinctual. I saw the name and I answered. Oh my God. We don't have a Pope right now. The earth is swallowing people alive."

The lack of a Pope doesn't really affect my day to day life, but jerks shouting on their phones in the gym definitely do. Yay for this gym. :)

I wonder if the name was "vatican conclave" oh, wait they have not convened yet...carry on.  >:D

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #19863 on: March 05, 2013, 10:49:39 PM »
Who is going to invent a Snuggie with a wine bottle pocket?

mmswm

« Reply #19864 on: March 05, 2013, 11:56:13 PM »

Ooooooo!  Good idea!  We should make sure it has pockets for wine glasses and wine keys as well.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #19865 on: March 06, 2013, 01:10:47 AM »
The price comparison was so great that Its one of th reasons that DH and I want to go back.

What can you expect to pay in the US for a martini? Here, as I said, it's 15-20.

Sometimes, 'expensive' and cheap vary GREATLY by part of the country--each state sets it's own tax rates for some of this stuff.
I'd expect $10 for a martini in a bar...but I also usually make my drinks at home, where it's closer to $5. (give or take $4, because I can vary the quality of my liquor  ;))

Exactly. $15 to $20 would be viewed as ridiculous around here, and the cost of living isn't exactly cheap. $5 to $10 depending on the bar, maybe $15 for an incredibly high brow place imported artisinal vodka or gin with a local organic olive.

squeakers

« Reply #19866 on: March 06, 2013, 01:43:50 AM »
The price comparison was so great that Its one of th reasons that DH and I want to go back.

What can you expect to pay in the US for a martini? Here, as I said, it's 15-20.

Sometimes, 'expensive' and cheap vary GREATLY by part of the country--each state sets it's own tax rates for some of this stuff.
I'd expect $10 for a martini in a bar...but I also usually make my drinks at home, where it's closer to $5. (give or take $4, because I can vary the quality of my liquor  ;))

Exactly. $15 to $20 would be viewed as ridiculous around here, and the cost of living isn't exactly cheap. $5 to $10 depending on the bar, maybe $15 for an incredibly high brow place imported artisinal vodka or gin with a local organic olive.

$30 would get me 1.75 liters of my fav booze which= way way drunk at half a bottle.  Add in pop, juice or water to cut it and $40 would have me smashed for 3 days.  And I am a drinker.

Which is why I drink at home and not at bars or, in this case, on a ship.

And being on water with no bottom (as far as I am concerned) with maybe sharks or bad viruses (just watched the bad zombie flick set on a ship*) would have me nursing way more alcohol than would be etiquette-ly approved. I don't like being on water with "no bottom" (almost drowned as a toddler in a creek where the water was muddy but only maybe 4 - 5 feet deep) and again in a pool where it was 30 or more feet deep (had  a springboard way, way up.. very old school and is gone nowadays.). I don't swim very well: can dog paddle, breast stroke and float.. back then I knew how to just dog paddle. Which only works if you are on top of the water.

But that's also why I will never be an SS on a cruise ship  >:D

* http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1696198/
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
« Reply #19867 on: March 06, 2013, 05:49:09 AM »

I knew someone whose mother sewed pockets into a jacket lining for them to smuggle alcohol into sporting events for them.  :D
Stewart/Colbert '16

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #19868 on: March 06, 2013, 06:01:33 AM »

I knew someone whose mother sewed pockets into a jacket lining for them to smuggle alcohol into sporting events for them.  :D
I grew up with people that got mad at Dad because he wouldn't sell Kegs to them for their child's sweet 16 parties - even if they promised to make their child invite me to the party.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19869 on: March 06, 2013, 08:28:02 AM »

But his dad doing it would be ok? ;)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19870 on: March 06, 2013, 08:31:41 AM »
I don't think that was a critical comment about the mother doing it. I think it was ironic.

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #19871 on: March 06, 2013, 08:33:24 AM »

Depends if the dad knew how to sew.  ;)
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19872 on: March 06, 2013, 08:51:27 AM »

Really, the drinks are cheap compared to land ($9 martinis which are usually $15 to $20) and they go to do much effort to conceal the grog with the risk of it getting found...

Why bother?

Actually, we do bring our some of own alcohol aboard.  We certainly patronize the bars but we enjoy having a drink on the balcony before going to bed.  Also, Mr. Thipu enjoys a brand of bourbon that rarely shows up on ships. 

We've never thought of ourselves as SS and we've never had any trouble bringing the stuff aboard. 

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #19873 on: March 06, 2013, 09:06:50 AM »

Why bother?

Actually, we do bring our some of own alcohol aboard.  We certainly patronize the bars but we enjoy having a drink on the balcony before going to bed.  Also, Mr. Thipu enjoys a brand of bourbon that rarely shows up on ships. 

We've never thought of ourselves as SS and we've never had any trouble bringing the stuff aboard.

If it's not against the rules to bring alcohol aboard, then you are not a SS :)

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19874 on: March 06, 2013, 09:25:02 AM »

Depends if the dad knew how to sew.  ;)

DH is the lone operator of the sewing machine at our house.