Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5416227 times)

Virg

• Super Hero!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #19890 on: March 06, 2013, 03:36:09 PM »
Who is going to invent a Snuggie with a wine bottle pocket?

Ooooooo!  Good idea!  We should make sure it has pockets for wine glasses and wine keys as well.

I don't understand.  Why would you need these things?  Doesn't the butler handle all of that stuff?

Virg

mmswm

« Reply #19891 on: March 06, 2013, 03:40:17 PM »
SiameseCat's story reminds me of when my dad got charged interest on his Visa.  He had never paid interest on it before, and his position was that he shouldn't have to pay it now, because the only reason it had accumulated interest was that a postal strike had delayed receiving the bill in the mail.    So, he called the bank - at 5:00 p.m. on a Friday before a summer long weekend.  Oy.  To be fair, though, he was very polite and non-SS on the phone, and he did indeed get the interest charge waived.

See, that's the thing, even when dealing with the "big, bad banks", you can often times get things waived, but you have to be nice and polite.  If the guy I talked about had said something to the effect of "Oh, I didn't realize that interest started immediately.  Is there any way to get that tiny amount waived this time?"  The banker would have probably said "sure thing!" without a second thought.  The bank is far more interested in keeping that $10 ODP fee the checking account charged than the pennies in interest the line of credit charged.  If waiving a nickle in interest will do that, then that's what the bank is going to do.  If, however, you get violent and belligerent, we're going to dig in our heels.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19892 on: March 06, 2013, 03:43:59 PM »
See, that's the thing, even when dealing with the "big, bad banks", you can often times get things waived, but you have to be nice and polite.  If the guy I talked about had said something to the effect of "Oh, I didn't realize that interest started immediately.  Is there any way to get that tiny amount waived this time?"  The banker would have probably said "sure thing!" without a second thought.  The bank is far more interested in keeping that $10 ODP fee the checking account charged than the pennies in interest the line of credit charged.  If waiving a nickle in interest will do that, then that's what the bank is going to do.  If, however, you get violent and belligerent, we're going to dig in our heels.

I think this is true with anything. I work in retail, and we are not supposed to do price adjustments for items that go "on promotion" only when they are full price, then marked down, the first time.

Yet we constatly get asked, and since we have "discretion" usually do it for customers. But if you are nasty about it, we will also dig our heels in and say no. Ask nicely, sure, we will usually do it. since it means returning and repurchasing. the return doesn't go against the employee who sold it as we aren't on commission, and we get the new "sale"

Browyn

« Reply #19893 on: March 06, 2013, 04:29:30 PM »

Ooooooo!  Good idea!  We should make sure it has pockets for wine glasses and wine keys as well.
No! Do NOT put pockets in your Snuggie for wine glasses! That will make plopping down on the couch very uncomfortable.

A leather wine skin would be much safer :-)

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19894 on: March 06, 2013, 05:56:32 PM »
I'm nominating one of my son's coaches and one of my co-workers.

Last month DS was ill during on of the team tournaments and didn't go. This is individual sport like diving, so the only consequence of his missing is potentially reducing the overall team score.  His coach is making him sit out this month's tournament because if he was really a "team player" he'd have played ill.  So she'd rather he get on a bus for a 90 minute ride and expose all her players to illness during flu season rather than have him miss one tournament.

My co-worker was telling me that his two boys placed high in their state championship competition this past month in a very close contact sport, think wrestling.  His youngest (around 9) "came in 4th in state and probably would have placed hire is he hadn't been competing with the flu and 103 degree fever."  Yeah, it would have sucked for his kid to miss it, but we aren't talking about scholarship qualifications or even Jr. Olympics.  But his kid getting to compete was more important than any concern for the 5 or 6 other competitors his son came into very close contact with during that day.

edited because an "8" next to a ")" becomes a  8). so I figure around 9 is just as good. ;)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 06:42:11 PM by Hmmmmm »

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #19895 on: March 06, 2013, 06:33:31 PM »
There are adults like that in the workplace, coming in and spreading their germs and thinking they're being heroes for coming in that state.

They're not, they make it worse for everyone. DH was just getting over glandular fever last year and made it back to work only to sit next to someone with a cold.

Shalamar

« Reply #19896 on: March 06, 2013, 07:44:02 PM »
I have a coworker who "doesn't see the point" of staying home when he's sick.   Meanwhile, he's got the biggest, wettest, germ-spreadingest disgusting sneezes you ever heard.   >:(

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #19897 on: March 06, 2013, 07:46:07 PM »
http://www.wibw.com/home/headlines/Child-Reportedly-Struck-By-Vehicle-In-Topeka-195705401.html

5 year old hit getting off a bus by a SS who drove around a school bus with the stop sign extended. The boy was taken to the hospital and not injured.

mmswm

« Reply #19898 on: March 06, 2013, 07:51:26 PM »
http://www.wibw.com/home/headlines/Child-Reportedly-Struck-By-Vehicle-In-Topeka-195705401.html

5 year old hit getting off a bus by a SS who drove around a school bus with the stop sign extended. The boy was taken to the hospital and not injured.

Unfortunately these things happen far too often.  I just don't understand why people do this.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19899 on: March 06, 2013, 09:11:42 PM »
There are adults like that in the workplace, coming in and spreading their germs and thinking they're being heroes for coming in that state.

They're not, they make it worse for everyone. DH was just getting over glandular fever last year and made it back to work only to sit next to someone with a cold.

Ohhhh yeah. Let me tell you how mad I was at all my coworkers who kept coming in sick during flu season this year. I was avoiding them, and they kept joking about getting me sick.

PeterM

« Reply #19900 on: March 06, 2013, 11:28:10 PM »

Last month DS was ill during on of the team tournaments and didn't go. This is individual sport like diving, so the only consequence of his missing is potentially reducing the overall team score.  His coach is making him sit out this month's tournament because if he was really a "team player" he'd have played ill.  So she'd rather he get on a bus for a 90 minute ride and expose all her players to illness during flu season rather than have him miss one tournament.

Forget that, because there's at least a visceral appeal to the whole "Walk it off, rub some dirt on it, play injured" argument. I'm not saying it's always a good idea, but I can see where people like that are coming from in some cases. Not this one, really, but in general terms.

What this nitwit decided was that since your son missed one tournament and deprived the team of points while he was sick and not his best, the punishment should be for him to miss another tournament and deprive the team of points when he's no longer sick. How is that not idiotic? What exactly does it accomplish?

"Deprive us of points, eh? I'll show you! You're going to do it again!"

diesel_darlin

« Reply #19901 on: March 06, 2013, 11:34:37 PM »

Ohhhh yeah. Let me tell you how mad I was at all my coworkers who kept coming in sick during flu season this year. I was avoiding them, and they kept joking about getting me sick.

I had a manager once that slept on a couch in his office because he was ill. He had a horrible cold, and wouldnt take a day off to get well. I wound up catching it TWICE. So did others. We were not happy.

I was running a cash register when I had a customer come up and tell me that she was bringing in this money for her friend that was out in the car. The friend couldnt come in because she had a GI bug and was suffering the effects in the parking lot. I put the money under the drawer until the lady left and brought it back out and Lysol'd it.  >:(

Starchasm

• And the mome raths outgrabe.
« Reply #19902 on: March 06, 2013, 11:54:35 PM »

No! Do NOT put pockets in your Snuggie for wine glasses! That will make plopping down on the couch very uncomfortable.

No, instead one of those camelbak reservoirs should be sewed on. Nice and squishy.

*Cough*

Yes, it exists!  One of the women on my float for Mardi Gras had one!  ;D

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #19903 on: March 07, 2013, 12:33:57 AM »

No, instead one of those camelbak reservoirs should be sewed on. Nice and squishy.

*Cough*

Yes, it exists!  One of the women on my float for Mardi Gras had one!  ;D

Holy cow, the first review on that page is HYSTERICAL!

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #19904 on: March 07, 2013, 05:30:50 AM »
I'm nominating one of my son's coaches and one of my co-workers.

My co-worker was telling me that his two boys placed high in their state championship competition this past month in a very close contact sport, think wrestling.  His youngest (around 9) "came in 4th in state and probably would have placed hire is he hadn't been competing with the flu and 103 degree fever."  Yeah, it would have sucked for his kid to miss it, but we aren't talking about scholarship qualifications or even Jr. Olympics.  But his kid getting to compete was more important than any concern for the 5 or 6 other competitors his son came into very close contact with during that day.

edited because an "8" next to a ")" becomes a  8) . so I figure around 9 is just as good. ;)
The coach is beyond SS - and probably should be reported to the governing authority to be retrained or removed. The idea of a child sick with the flu diving is scary. I had the flu once in 3rd grade - I couldn't walk a straight line, got dizzy and had to sit down on the floor just to walk to the bathroom. The idea of climbing a latter and diving in that condition is scary.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future