Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5088537 times)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #19905 on: March 07, 2013, 12:33:57 AM »
Who is going to invent a Snuggie with a wine bottle pocket?

Ooooooo!  Good idea!  We should make sure it has pockets for wine glasses and wine keys as well.
No! Do NOT put pockets in your Snuggie for wine glasses! That will make plopping down on the couch very uncomfortable.

No, instead one of those camelbak reservoirs should be sewed on. Nice and squishy.

*Cough*

Yes, it exists!  One of the women on my float for Mardi Gras had one!  ;D

Holy cow, the first review on that page is HYSTERICAL!

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #19906 on: March 07, 2013, 05:30:50 AM »
I'm nominating one of my son's coaches and one of my co-workers.

Last month DS was ill during on of the team tournaments and didn't go. This is individual sport like diving, so the only consequence of his missing is potentially reducing the overall team score.  His coach is making him sit out this month's tournament because if he was really a "team player" he'd have played ill.  So she'd rather he get on a bus for a 90 minute ride and expose all her players to illness during flu season rather than have him miss one tournament.

My co-worker was telling me that his two boys placed high in their state championship competition this past month in a very close contact sport, think wrestling.  His youngest (around 9) "came in 4th in state and probably would have placed hire is he hadn't been competing with the flu and 103 degree fever."  Yeah, it would have sucked for his kid to miss it, but we aren't talking about scholarship qualifications or even Jr. Olympics.  But his kid getting to compete was more important than any concern for the 5 or 6 other competitors his son came into very close contact with during that day.

edited because an "8" next to a ")" becomes a  8) . so I figure around 9 is just as good. ;)
The coach is beyond SS - and probably should be reported to the governing authority to be retrained or removed. The idea of a child sick with the flu diving is scary. I had the flu once in 3rd grade - I couldn't walk a straight line, got dizzy and had to sit down on the floor just to walk to the bathroom. The idea of climbing a latter and diving in that condition is scary.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #19907 on: March 07, 2013, 06:11:18 AM »
BIL is a whining Super SS. He's decided to go back to school because it's "depressing" that DH, the younger brother, is done with school, has a job/house/family and he (BIL) has none of these things. He's working towards the same degree DH got, so he's constantly asking DH's advice on every.little.thing. Thanksgiving was overshadowed by talk of what classes he needed in the spring semester, and which teachers are the best/easiest/most lenient. He skypes with DH, and google chats every day asking for help with projects and general support/encouragement. He was coming over 2-3 times per week and saying til midnight getting help from DH with his school work. Every time DH would try to say it's getting late, BIL had "just one more quick thing'  ::) We did finally get that under control. Now he's over once or twice a week, and has to be out by 10.
While Other BIL was in town (3 month internship) we all got together on Friday nights. I would make dinner, and we would hang out. Then talk at the dinner table was taken over by computer talk. Until I finally broke in and forcibly changed the subject. After dinner the laptop came out again.
Meanwhile, I'm taking some night classes. So Mon-Wed DH comes home from work, we have up to an hour and a half, then I leave for class. DH is also in crunch time for a project at work, so he's been working late.
Last night we were having dinner when the computer chimed with a notification on google chat. DH ignored it. Then his phone rang. DH ignored it. Google chat went off again. Then his text message alert went off. Then my phone rang. I picked up and said, "We're eating dinner right now, DH will call you back later," and I hung up. DH thinks I was super rude, and we start to argue a bit about it, when google chat goes off again. BIL is horribly offended, it was important that he got in touch with us because he needed to know if we were at his house, knocking on the door. :o ::) >:( I still don't know why he couldn't get up, walk the 12 feet to his front door and check, but in his mind it made more sense to keep trying to call/message us.
Google chat has blown up, and I had to leave for class. BIL has been sending nastygrams telling DH that he 'demands more respect than that' (being hung up on) and that he has been 'nothing but nice...not talking on the phone during dinner is a stupid rule...[he] can only put up with so much' and now on top of everything else, he doesn't feel welcome in his own brother's home  ::)  ::)  ::)
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #19908 on: March 07, 2013, 07:49:03 AM »
he doesn't feel welcome in his own brother's home  ::)  ::)  ::)

You might have been given a gift there - don't let him feel welcome again!

His behaviour is extremely rude, and borders on harassment.

Carotte

« Reply #19909 on: March 07, 2013, 08:17:30 AM »
...not talking on the phone during dinner is a stupid rule...

When I grew up there was a few rules around dine times, no TV on, even if it was in another room, sit-down diner and no phone. Well the no phone one I guess was just something I thought existed - in reality sometimes my mom will call or answer just after finishing cooking and before serving the food, this should take from 3 to 10min if we are busy elsewhere. It drives me mad sinceit's not just a quick "hey, call you later".
I'm pretty sure it would be quite frowned upon if her kids did it.
There's also the times when one of my parents will call someone in the living room, while we are watching TV, and expect the TV-watcher to turn the volume down  :o. I was quick to put my foot down here, you can move and call from somewhere more quiet, I can't just take the TV under my arm and go elsewhere.
(And anytime we eat in the diningroom/living room (when we have company, kitchen table is only good for 3) and the TV is still on I make it a point to turn it off, even though it's supposed to be their rule!)

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #19910 on: March 07, 2013, 08:22:32 AM »
A few years back I bought some meat from a butcher at the market. The price was x.99 and he kept my 1p change saying he had no change and needed it more than I did. I asked how he came to that view, but left it at that.
He has of course lost a customer for the sake of that 1p whereas if he had given me 2p back I could probably have found another 1p in my purse.

This is partially a 'I'm never shopping there again!' story too, but I once had a kid at a Taco Bell drive-through try to cheat me out of 10 cents.  One thin dime. When I pointed it out, he gave it to me while muttering, 'I never heard anyone b***** about a dime before'.

Well buddy, it's MY DIME!

Pen^2

« Reply #19911 on: March 07, 2013, 08:43:07 AM »
This is partially a 'I'm never shopping there again!' story too, but I once had a kid at a Taco Bell drive-through try to cheat me out of 10 cents.  One thin dime. When I pointed it out, he gave it to me while muttering, 'I never heard anyone b***** about a dime before'.

Ooh, I've had that happen, too. It was 5c, but still, I'm the type of person who sums things as I go and expects a certain amount of change before I get to the register. So when I get my change, I point out that 'it looks like you forgot 5c here' and all of a sudden I'm the cheapest person on earth.

Again: it's my money, and it's not up to you to decide if it's not enough for me to want.

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #19912 on: March 07, 2013, 09:20:59 AM »
Who is going to invent a Snuggie with a wine bottle pocket?

I knew someone whose mother sewed pockets into a jacket lining for them to smuggle alcohol into sporting events for them.  :D

I bought this for my husband last Christmas. It's a hoodie with a "kangaroo" pouch--an insulated pouch that holds a beer bottle  ;D
http://www.grainbelt.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=2229&products_id=22492&osCsid=6f9d5d5eec2eba76b6c8f7ac1abfa70c

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19913 on: March 07, 2013, 09:25:50 AM »

Ooh, I've had that happen, too. It was 5c, but still, I'm the type of person who sums things as I go and expects a certain amount of change before I get to the register. So when I get my change, I point out that 'it looks like you forgot 5c here' and all of a sudden I'm the cheapest person on earth.

Again: it's my money, and it's not up to you to decide if it's not enough for me to want.

Besides, that loose change really adds up. DH and I toss our loose change into a big plastic bottle at the end of the week. The bottle is about halfway full at this point. When it's completely full we plan on cashing it in and doing something fun with the money. Heck, I stop and pick up any coins I see on the ground when I'm out and about. My place of employment seems especially prone to loose change. I joke with my co-workers that I made 25 cents (or whatever amount I find that day) walking from my car to the building.

whatsanenigma

« Reply #19914 on: March 07, 2013, 10:08:26 AM »

Besides, that loose change really adds up. DH and I toss our loose change into a big plastic bottle at the end of the week. The bottle is about halfway full at this point. When it's completely full we plan on cashing it in and doing something fun with the money. Heck, I stop and pick up any coins I see on the ground when I'm out and about. My place of employment seems especially prone to loose change. I joke with my co-workers that I made 25 cents (or whatever amount I find that day) walking from my car to the building.

And also, if employees get used to being careless with small change, it could get worse.  First they are a nickel off but nobody complains, because it's "just five cents".  Then it could turn into dimes, quarters, maybe eventually even dollars.  And this is assuming they are just getting careless and giving the wrong change by accident.  Imagine if you worked at, for example, a fast food place, and managed to cheat every customer out of a quarter, or even a dime.  That would add up pretty darn quickly.  Especially because each individual person might not want to complain over that amount.

This is similar to the fact that if I personally am in a fast food place and I get the wrong order, I always take it back, even though I am not really that picky over certain things, I just have mild preferences.  I am always polite about it, of course! (Usually I say something like, "Sorry, I seem to have gotten someone else's sandwich".)  But just because I am "okay" with what they have given me, others might not be, and to the point of a severe allergic reaction if the wrong thing is on the sandwich.  So I want to remind them to pay careful attention to orders and give the customer what actually was ordered.  And I want them to pay careful attention to how much change they give customers, and give them the right amount.

Small things can add up and I think it's important not to let important small things slide.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19915 on: March 07, 2013, 10:08:37 AM »
We keep our loose coins,  roll them up and bring them to the bank every few months.  Our last collection came to 185 USD.  Not bad.

Margo

« Reply #19916 on: March 07, 2013, 10:19:31 AM »
he doesn't feel welcome in his own brother's home  ::)  ::)  ::)

You might have been given a gift there - don't let him feel welcome again!

His behaviour is extremely rude, and borders on harassment.

I agree! He'll get over it or die mad.

Kariachi

« Reply #19917 on: March 07, 2013, 10:40:05 AM »
Not an SS story, but the talk of small change got me thinking about my issue with pennies.

I spent two years living on an AFB in Turkey as a child. Since it was so far away, and this was when the War on Terror was starting up, we didn't have access to pennies, at all. Okay, fine. But this didn't stop everyone from marking their goods as $x.99. Ground my gears down to nothing that I never got change back for my purchases, to the point where I nearly crowed when we moved back to the states and I got a penny back on a purchase.

I all but hoard them now, most of the weight of my purse is pennies.
"Heh. Forgive our manners, little creature that we may well kill and eat you is no excuse for rudeness."

Yarnspinner

« Reply #19918 on: March 07, 2013, 11:40:21 AM »
How did you keep from shouting "Are we really arguing about 90 cents?!"

The problem with saying "are we/you really arguing about 90 cents?" (or "15 cents," or whatever seems like a small amount in that context) is that it goes both ways: the person saying it is making exactly as much of a fuss about that 90 cents as the person they're talking to. If you think that 25 cents more or less for a cup of tea is trivial, you should be willing to accept the smaller amount (if you're the store) or be willing to pay the larger amount (if you're the customer). The shopkeeper who says "but if I gave everyone that discount it would cost me significant money" is matched by "but if I paid that much more for everything I bought, it would cost me significant money."

Tea Drinker, keep in mind that while both people are probably becoming equally agitated over what seems a small amount, it is the JOB of one of those two people to collect that money.  ONE of those people could, depending on the environment in which they work, put their head on a career chopping block by giving in.  The other person isn't taking a risk of getting fired.

My special pet peeve about that ninety cents (or any small fine for a library book) is that a patron will make a HUGE fuss about it and then pull out a hundred dollar bill (despite signs clearly stating that, as we are a library and not a bank, we can only accept twenty dollar bills) and scream bloody murder because we can't change a hundred.  This despite the fact that wrapped up in that hundred is a huge wad of one dollar bills.  If I had a dime..

ETA because "agitated" only has one "d".
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 11:54:28 AM by Yarnspinner »

snowdragon

« Reply #19919 on: March 07, 2013, 01:04:27 PM »

I do that too, and  I just bought the entire "Dear America Series" with what I cashed it.  It certainly does add up and I agree anyone doing that looses my business and if it's a chain place - a letter to corporate.