News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• August 02, 2015, 09:24:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 6645350 times)

Katana_Geldar

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #19920 on: March 07, 2013, 03:09:24 PM »
Quote from: Carotte link=topic=51263.msg2901376#msg2901376 date
There's also the times when one of my parents will call someone in the living room, while we are watching TV, and expect the TV-watcher to turn the volume down  :o. I was quick to put my foot down here, you can move and call from somewhere more quiet, I can't just take the TV under my arm and go elsewhere.

My parents are particularly bad at this. When I lived with them they would turn it down and keep talking, I hated that as it meant I listened to their conversation instead of watching the show. But I couldn't ever question them. And of course, if they passed the phone to me I was expected to go into another room!

DH and I rarely watch free to air TV, so we usually can pause it if done calls. If not, person on phone goes away.

And we won't answer it during dinner!

Miss March

« Reply #19921 on: March 07, 2013, 03:30:07 PM »
I believe that I may have already posted about this woman here before, but when I was working at a hotel, we had an elderly woman staying with us who would swing by the front desk and buy something small (say a magazine, or some stamps) and if it came to $3.85, she would hand us three dollars and then wave her hand dismissively and say that she'd get us the change "later." Of course, we weren't allowed to do that. We needed to key in a purchase of $3.85 into the system and our cash drawer needed to reflect that amount taken in at the end of our shift. So the front desk person would need to insist to this woman that she needed to pay the full amount- even if that meant that we needed a nickel, or 17 cents, or 98 cents more from her. She'd huff and sigh and roll her eyes at us like we were being unreasonable and petty. She tried this every single time she made a purchase with us during her stay. I fear that some of the newer employees that she encountered may have been so intimidated by her manner that they just took change from their own pockets to cover the portion she didn't want to pay, which is what I suspect she wanted all along.
I assume you heard the way she spoke to me at dinner.
Of course, but how does it help to answer rudeness with rudeness?             --Downton Abbey

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19922 on: March 07, 2013, 03:48:01 PM »
I think I'd start rounding up!  If it was over $3, I'd tell her it was $4.  Once she gave me the $4, I could give her change.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19923 on: March 07, 2013, 04:39:11 PM »
There's also the times when one of my parents will call someone in the living room, while we are watching TV, and expect the TV-watcher to turn the volume down  :o. I was quick to put my foot down here, you can move and call from somewhere more quiet, I can't just take the TV under my arm and go elsewhere.

My parents are particularly bad at this. When I lived with them they would turn it down and keep talking, I hated that as it meant I listened to their conversation instead of watching the show. But I couldn't ever question them. And of course, if they passed the phone to me I was expected to go into another room!

DH and I rarely watch free to air TV, so we usually can pause it if done calls. If not, person on phone goes away.

I think this is a generational thing.

Growing up, the phone, TV, and most of the family where in one room and you were unable to "take the phone" with you or go to watch TV in a second room with a second TV.  So if the phone rang, the interactive conversation between two people took precendence over someone watching a TV program (unless it was Dad watching the 6pm news, then it took priority  >:()

Once we had a second phone extension and a second TV, a long conversation would be moved to the other extension in the bedroom area, unless it was Dad talking on the phone. Then anyone watching TV had the option just turning it down or moving to the second TV in my parent's bedroom.

So even after cordless phones became common, my parent's would rarely leave the room where the phone was, they'd instead instintively reach to turn down the TV. 

jane7166

« Reply #19924 on: March 07, 2013, 06:15:11 PM »

I think this is a generational thing.

Growing up, the phone, TV, and most of the family where in one room and you were unable to "take the phone" with you or go to watch TV in a second room with a second TV.  So if the phone rang, the interactive conversation between two people took precendence over someone watching a TV program (unless it was Dad watching the 6pm news, then it took priority  >:()

Once we had a second phone extension and a second TV, a long conversation would be moved to the other extension in the bedroom area, unless it was Dad talking on the phone. Then anyone watching TV had the option just turning it down or moving to the second TV in my parent's bedroom.

So even after cordless phones became common, my parent's would rarely leave the room where the phone was, they'd instead instintively reach to turn down the TV.

But, it's all still a power play.  My mom would pull the "what I am saying is more important than your TV show" power play.  Until DH and I got a VCR.  Then I would just pause my program, if recorded, or hit the record button while she prattled on and I would just smile at her.  And continue with my program when she ran down. 

rain

« Reply #19925 on: March 07, 2013, 06:37:48 PM »
can we get back to the SS stories please
In search of a tag line

EmmaJ.

« Reply #19926 on: March 07, 2013, 08:27:51 PM »
I'm puzzled. These all ARE special snowflake stories.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19927 on: March 07, 2013, 08:37:44 PM »

Thank you, EmmaJ.!  I agree!!

It seems that recently if anyone comes here with a story that involves anything other than driving/traffic/parking issues, there's an immediate reminder that we're getting "off topic".  Some of the stories have been great ones too.  I don't understand either.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #19928 on: March 07, 2013, 11:30:12 PM »
I also don't appreciate mini-modding.

Viewing your own rights over someone else's isnSS.

Awestruck Shmuck

« Reply #19929 on: March 08, 2013, 01:35:04 AM »
Australia has one of the highest usages of EFTPOS worldwide which means less loose change plus our smallest coin is 5 cents, which people tend to pick up if they drop it. It's rare to see coins lying around on the pavement here these days.

My cousin used to scour the ground everywhere she went (from the age of about 4 till well into her teens), she made $100-200 a year from this habit!! I remember being sooooo jealous when she found a $5 note under a bench in the NSW Art Gallery when we were about 6.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #19930 on: March 08, 2013, 04:46:14 AM »
The change stories reminded me of this.

I save up my change and once or twice a month go to the coinstar and get an amazon certificate to fund my kindle and instant video habit. i was doing this and a man came up to me ranting how stupid I was to give away my money like that. Now coinstar does take almost 10% if you get cash back - but not if you get a gc.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Queen of Clubs

« Reply #19931 on: March 08, 2013, 09:03:05 AM »

Rain might be referring to the stories about pennies and other change, as in "I save all my change in a jar and get x amount after x months" that doesn't involve an SS at all.

On topic: I had a friend who lived some way away from me, so we kept in touch via the phone.  I'd never met her flatmate, just spoken to her in passing if she answered when I rang, but she decided that we should be friends too...and informed me that I could ring her x night every week to chat.  Uh, no thanks.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 09:04:54 AM by Queen of Clubs »

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #19932 on: March 08, 2013, 09:27:17 AM »

Thank you, EmmaJ.!  I agree!!

It seems that recently if anyone comes here with a story that involves anything other than driving/traffic/parking issues, there's an immediate reminder that we're getting "off topic".  Some of the stories have been great ones too.  I don't understand either.

Just wanted to say thanks to the person who started the driving stories thread.  Thanks!

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #19933 on: March 08, 2013, 09:56:33 AM »
Snowflake Agreewithmyrudeness Specialia:

My SO’s mother was recounting the story of one of her first dates with her husband to me. Evidently, they were on a drive through the mountains, and she put one of his 8 track tapes in for music. It turned out to be some sort of heavy metal band ("you know, that rwaaaar rwaaar rwaaaar kind of music… horrible!"), so she took great delight in telling me that she rolled down the window, chucked it out, and "he’s never listened to anything but country western and easy listening since!"

I must admit, I wasn’t very graceful either, because as she stared at me, obviously expecting me to praise her for her great handling of the situation and training of said husband, all I could respond with was "sounds like a waste of a great 8 track" (I happen to love late-70s metal, myself).  That was much kinder than what my brain was screaming ("seriously, why did this man keep dating you, let alone marry you after this and other similar stories!").

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #19934 on: March 08, 2013, 11:21:52 AM »

Last month DS was ill during on of the team tournaments and didn't go. This is individual sport like diving, so the only consequence of his missing is potentially reducing the overall team score.  His coach is making him sit out this month's tournament because if he was really a "team player" he'd have played ill.  So she'd rather he get on a bus for a 90 minute ride and expose all her players to illness during flu season rather than have him miss one tournament.

Forget that, because there's at least a visceral appeal to the whole "Walk it off, rub some dirt on it, play injured" argument. I'm not saying it's always a good idea, but I can see where people like that are coming from in some cases. Not this one, really, but in general terms.

What this nitwit decided was that since your son missed one tournament and deprived the team of points while he was sick and not his best, the punishment should be for him to miss another tournament and deprive the team of points when he's no longer sick. How is that not idiotic? What exactly does it accomplish?

"Deprive us of points, eh? I'll show you! You're going to do it again!"

Yes, that struck me. There's a certain logical disconnect in that thinking.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."