Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5529174 times)

Queen of Clubs

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #19935 on: March 08, 2013, 10:03:05 AM »
can we get back to the SS stories please
I'm puzzled. These all ARE special snowflake stories.

Rain might be referring to the stories about pennies and other change, as in "I save all my change in a jar and get x amount after x months" that doesn't involve an SS at all.

On topic: I had a friend who lived some way away from me, so we kept in touch via the phone.  I'd never met her flatmate, just spoken to her in passing if she answered when I rang, but she decided that we should be friends too...and informed me that I could ring her x night every week to chat.  Uh, no thanks.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 10:04:54 AM by Queen of Clubs »

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #19936 on: March 08, 2013, 10:27:17 AM »
can we get back to the SS stories please
I'm puzzled. These all ARE special snowflake stories.

Thank you, EmmaJ.!  I agree!!

It seems that recently if anyone comes here with a story that involves anything other than driving/traffic/parking issues, there's an immediate reminder that we're getting "off topic".  Some of the stories have been great ones too.  I don't understand either.

Just wanted to say thanks to the person who started the driving stories thread.  Thanks!

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #19937 on: March 08, 2013, 10:56:33 AM »
Snowflake Agreewithmyrudeness Specialia:

My SO’s mother was recounting the story of one of her first dates with her husband to me. Evidently, they were on a drive through the mountains, and she put one of his 8 track tapes in for music. It turned out to be some sort of heavy metal band ("you know, that rwaaaar rwaaar rwaaaar kind of music… horrible!"), so she took great delight in telling me that she rolled down the window, chucked it out, and "he’s never listened to anything but country western and easy listening since!"

I must admit, I wasn’t very graceful either, because as she stared at me, obviously expecting me to praise her for her great handling of the situation and training of said husband, all I could respond with was "sounds like a waste of a great 8 track" (I happen to love late-70s metal, myself).  That was much kinder than what my brain was screaming ("seriously, why did this man keep dating you, let alone marry you after this and other similar stories!").

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #19938 on: March 08, 2013, 12:21:52 PM »

Last month DS was ill during on of the team tournaments and didn't go. This is individual sport like diving, so the only consequence of his missing is potentially reducing the overall team score.  His coach is making him sit out this month's tournament because if he was really a "team player" he'd have played ill.  So she'd rather he get on a bus for a 90 minute ride and expose all her players to illness during flu season rather than have him miss one tournament.

Forget that, because there's at least a visceral appeal to the whole "Walk it off, rub some dirt on it, play injured" argument. I'm not saying it's always a good idea, but I can see where people like that are coming from in some cases. Not this one, really, but in general terms.

What this nitwit decided was that since your son missed one tournament and deprived the team of points while he was sick and not his best, the punishment should be for him to miss another tournament and deprive the team of points when he's no longer sick. How is that not idiotic? What exactly does it accomplish?

"Deprive us of points, eh? I'll show you! You're going to do it again!"

Yes, that struck me. There's a certain logical disconnect in that thinking.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Shalamar

« Reply #19939 on: March 08, 2013, 12:48:14 PM »
WOW, stitchygreyanonymous.  If someone I was dating threw my music out the window, that would have been our last date.

(Every so often, I wonder why my FIL - who's a nice, decent guy - married my shrewish controlling MIL.  I can only assume that they're compatible in a way that I don't understand, and don't want to.)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19940 on: March 08, 2013, 12:52:32 PM »
Snowflake Agreewithmyrudeness Specialia:

My SO’s mother was recounting the story of one of her first dates with her husband to me. Evidently, they were on a drive through the mountains, and she put one of his 8 track tapes in for music. It turned out to be some sort of heavy metal band ("you know, that rwaaaar rwaaar rwaaaar kind of music… horrible!"), so she took great delight in telling me that she rolled down the window, chucked it out, and "he’s never listened to anything but country western and easy listening since!"

I must admit, I wasn’t very graceful either, because as she stared at me, obviously expecting me to praise her for her great handling of the situation and training of said husband, all I could respond with was "sounds like a waste of a great 8 track" (I happen to love late-70s metal, myself).  That was much kinder than what my brain was screaming ("seriously, why did this man keep dating you, let alone marry you after this and other similar stories!").

WOW!  That's just...I think I'd be staring at her in disbelief myself. DH and I don't see eye to eye on some forms of music (He loves anime but is not a huge fan of musicals.  I'm the opposite) but I wouldn't dream of throwing his cd's out the window!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

doodlemor

« Reply #19941 on: March 08, 2013, 02:56:57 PM »
Here is a link for your amusement or dismay.

http://www.observertoday.com/page/content.detail/id/582249/Anti-social-media.html?nav=5047

Two women were in a verbal exchange at a local small village board meeting.  One of the women is a village trustee, and the other is a village resident.  These two apparently are feuding. 

The resident complained that the trustee had posted on facebook about her[the resident's] unpaid water bill.  The trustee claims that this is public information already posted on the county website.

The resident made this SS statement:  "I don't want to pay a water bill when I feel like I am getting nothing for it."

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #19942 on: March 08, 2013, 03:32:26 PM »
WOW, stitchygreyanonymous.  If someone I was dating threw my music out the window, that would have been our last date.

(Every so often, I wonder why my FIL - who's a nice, decent guy - married my shrewish controlling MIL.  I can only assume that they're compatible in a way that I don't understand, and don't want to.)

I wouldn't even let the date go to the end. I'd pull over and wait while they went back for my music, or I'd pull over and they could walk home.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19943 on: March 08, 2013, 05:00:18 PM »

I wouldn't even let the date go to the end. I'd pull over and wait while they went back for my music, or I'd pull over and they could walk home.

I can easily imagine a date not agreeing with whatever kind of music the driver was playing, but I can not imagine her yanking the tape out and throwing it out the window!!  Good grief!

Even more surprising is that they apparently not only continued to date, but actually got married!!  One would think that  incident would have given him pause!

He must have felt she had some truly amazing other qualities to counteract that!!   :)

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #19944 on: March 08, 2013, 05:11:18 PM »

http://www.observertoday.com/page/content.detail/id/582249/Anti-social-media.html?nav=5047

Two women were in a verbal exchange at a local small village board meeting.  One of the women is a village trustee, and the other is a village resident.  These two apparently are feuding. 

The resident complained that the trustee had posted on facebook about her[the resident's] unpaid water bill.  The trustee claims that this is public information already posted on the county website.

The resident made this SS statement:  "I don't want to pay a water bill when I feel like I am getting nothing for it."

Who honestly cares? I would have liked to kick both of them out since they can't behave like adults.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19945 on: March 08, 2013, 05:19:16 PM »

LOL!  People in HER house don't need to ever bathe, do dishes, drink or cook with water, do laundry, flush a toilet or clean?  That must be some family!!   ;D

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #19946 on: March 08, 2013, 05:38:26 PM »
LOL!  People in HER house don't need to ever bathe, do dishes, drink or cook with water, do laundry, flush a toilet or clean?  That must be some family!!   ;D

Sadly, most people won't be able to get past the smell to find out how awesome they are.

:o

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #19947 on: March 08, 2013, 05:38:52 PM »
I was thinking the same.

Dr. F.

« Reply #19948 on: March 08, 2013, 05:39:08 PM »

This is an easy fix. Turn off her water, and she can figure out what she's getting by paying that bill. Eeesh.

Jocelyn

« Reply #19949 on: March 09, 2013, 07:03:22 PM »

I used to work in a bank, and I'm very familiar with what you describe here.  Whenever someone who shorts change responds in that way, it's a very good indicator that they're skimming and trying to shame the target into letting the matter drop.   

I read once about a large company whose payroll was done by an employee who was his company's Bob Cratchitt. After several decades, loyal Mr. Crachitt suddenly did not show up for work one day. When they checked on him, they found his residence vacated and no one had any idea where he was.
In the course of the audit that followed, they discovered Mr. Cratchitt had been siphoning off some small odd amount from every check he issued (say, 12 cents), for most of his employment (that is, since he realized he was his company's Bob Crachitt) and those 12-cent-s had been channeled into an offshore account in the Caribbean. Where, apparently, Mr. and Mrs. Crachitt were now enjoying a delightful retirement.