Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5355279 times)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #20025 on: March 13, 2013, 03:47:26 PM »
I have a boss who brings in a dozen doughnuts about once a week, and he usually puts them on a filing cabinet close to me.  That's fine - I don't really like doughnuts that much (cinammon buns, now - hoo boy, if he brought in those, I'd be in SUCH trouble), so they don't tempt me.  My gosh, though, do I ever get tired of hearing all the talk about the doughnuts - "I shouldn't have one."   "I already had one, but I shouldn't have."  "Oh, they look so good, I want one, but I can't!"  "Maybe I'll just have half of one.  *munch*  I shouldn't have done that; now I want the other half, wahh!"  You get the picture.

It gets SO boring.  When I'm already feeling grumpy, I feel like yelling "Either eat the damned doughnut or don't; just shut UP about it."

What bugs me about that is that if you eat just half a doughnut, NO ONE eats the other half.  It just sits there.

Send all half-doughnuts to Diane, at the following address...

Hillia

« Reply #20026 on: March 13, 2013, 03:50:50 PM »
What I've seen is the Eternally Subdividing Doughnut...someone cuts it in half, the next person cuts that in half, maybe one more cut until we're practically talking about doughnut molecules.

For the common good, I will usually jump in and take the fractional doughnut.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #20027 on: March 13, 2013, 03:58:51 PM »
What I've seen is the Eternally Subdividing Doughnut...someone cuts it in half, the next person cuts that in half, maybe one more cut until we're practically talking about doughnut molecules.

For the common good, I will usually jump in and take the fractional doughnut.

A saint you are!

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #20028 on: March 13, 2013, 04:01:45 PM »
The half donuts drive me crazy because I then feel guilty if I want a whole donut.  :(  Usually I would end up doing the math, trying to guess whether there were enough donuts for everybody to have a whole donut if they wanted one, and taking the half or a whole depending on that.  Unless the donuts had been out for a long time and it was near the end of the day.  Then... fair game!  Yay donuts!

daen

« Reply #20029 on: March 13, 2013, 04:04:02 PM »
I'm not fond of that kind of joking.  I used to bake a lot, and bring things to the office.  Most of my coworkers were nice about it, but I had one coworker who told me she hated me every time I brought something in (usually she'd say it while she was grabbing a treat, but sometimes she'd email or call me to let me know).

Even though she was joking,  I got tired of hearing it.  It's not really clever or cute to tell someone you hate them, or that others do.

My mother tells the story of a housemate she had once, who for a period of weeks, would say the same thing after supper. "You know, [Mom'sname], I've been thinking about this. I've been giving this a lot of thought, and I've decided that I like you." Mom knew she meant it, and was being goofy.
Then, the script changed. "You know, [Mom'sname], I've been thinking about this. I've been giving this a lot of thought, and I've decided that I don't like you." Still said cheerfully and kindly, and Mom knew she was kidding, and it was all okay.
Except that after the fifteenth repetition or so, the way Mom felt about said housemate changed a bit. It started to sting a little, even though intellectually Mom knew that Housemate liked her very much and didn't mean a word of it.
Mom still finds her view of Housemate coloured a little by this, nearly fifty years later.

As a result of hearing that story, if I do say something negative to someone as a joke, I make sure not to make that kind of joke more than once. Better yet, I try not to do it at all.
That story is also the reason I call myself "sweetheart" instead of "idiot" in self-talk when I've done something I don't appreciate. /end threadjack

Tea Drinker

« Reply #20030 on: March 13, 2013, 05:32:50 PM »
I have a boss who brings in a dozen doughnuts about once a week, and he usually puts them on a filing cabinet close to me.  That's fine - I don't really like doughnuts that much (cinammon buns, now - hoo boy, if he brought in those, I'd be in SUCH trouble), so they don't tempt me.  My gosh, though, do I ever get tired of hearing all the talk about the doughnuts - "I shouldn't have one."   "I already had one, but I shouldn't have."  "Oh, they look so good, I want one, but I can't!"  "Maybe I'll just have half of one.  *munch*  I shouldn't have done that; now I want the other half, wahh!"  You get the picture.

It gets SO boring.  When I'm already feeling grumpy, I feel like yelling "Either eat the damned doughnut or don't; just shut UP about it."

I used to actually do that, though I didn't yell. At a previous job, there was a vendor who sent my company a huge block of milk chocolate every year. I had a pocket knife, and a set of desk-height filing cabinets across from my desk, so it became my job to break the chocolate into chunks. This meant a lot of people wandering by to get chocolate, and often saying things like "I really shouldn't." I got tired of it, both because it was very repetitive and because I don't think it's immoral to eat tasty things. So I got in the habit of answering with things like "Then don't" [and turning away from them and back to my computer] or "Yes you should, it's good for you."

There was at least one person in my office who genuinely shouldn't eat the chocolate, because she's allergic, and she didn't take any. She also didn't wander past and make a big deal of it, because she wasn't trying to get social points for self-denial, and she really didn't need to get into the "just one piece" routine with someone who didn't know about her allergy.

Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #20031 on: March 13, 2013, 11:21:17 PM »
The other day DH and I were talking about, of all things, asbestos removal, and he told me about an SS he once knew who thought rules were there to be broken. He was renovating his house, ripped out a lot of asbestos wearing just a dust mask (no suit or respiration) and then threw it on his lawn. Then, when he took it to the tip (dump) complained that the operators rightly wouldn't accept it as it was asbestos.

He told DH that he ought that paying someone to specially take it away and dispose of it was a waste of money and time.

I hope, that when he removed it that he was the only one there! Asbestos dust can sit for years in your lungs before it comes back to kill you.

Iris

« Reply #20032 on: March 14, 2013, 02:10:05 AM »
The other day DH and I were talking about, of all things, asbestos removal, and he told me about an SS he once knew who thought rules were there to be broken. He was renovating his house, ripped out a lot of asbestos wearing just a dust mask (no suit or respiration) and then threw it on his lawn. Then, when he took it to the tip (dump) complained that the operators rightly wouldn't accept it as it was asbestos.

He told DH that he ought that paying someone to specially take it away and dispose of it was a waste of money and time.

I hope, that when he removed it that he was the only one there! Asbestos dust can sit for years in your lungs before it comes back to kill you.

When we needed some asbestos removed a LOT of people advised us to save money by taking it to the tip hidden underneath other rubbish. I suppose tip workers and other people dumping their rubbish can just go to heck as far as these people were concerned. It really changed how I thought of them.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #20033 on: March 14, 2013, 02:14:17 AM »
You need to be careful about asbestos as it isnt just about you. Did anyone catch the docudrama Devils Dust? On the ABC? I missed it and I wish I hadn't.

Melle

« Reply #20034 on: March 14, 2013, 04:15:53 AM »
Not really sure on this one:

My stop on the way to work has an escalator that can go either up or down. If there's nobody on it, it stops, and whichever platform - top or bottom - is first stepped on decides the direction the escalator goes. Now, it's not a particularly long escalator, but it's the only way for people unable to use the stairs next to it to reach their train, as the elevator to the train platform is on the other side of a busy street. I usually take the stairs, but if I'm very tired or carrying a lot with me, I take the escalator. However, I make a point to look up and see if anybody needs it to get to the bottom level, and if I see someone, I alert those behind me to it, too.

Today was one of the tired days, particularly because I'd had to walk up a very long and steep defective escalator just before the bidirectional one, so seeing nobody at the top platform waiting, I stepped on the escalator (along with a bunch of other people).

However, when I was halfway up, we were all severely berated by an elderly woman with crutches who stood a fair bit away from the exit so it was impossible to see her from below. She proceeded to call us all lazy and selfish and when I told her she needed to step forward a bit so people on the bottom level could see her, she focussed her tirade directly on me.

I'm not sure she really counts as a special snowflake, she was probably frustrated and maybe in pain, but I had phrased my advice very politely and emphatically and her tone was just hostile. I considered alerting people approaching the escalator on her behalf, but her behavior made me think twice. She shouted down herself, then, anyway.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20035 on: March 14, 2013, 08:27:05 AM »
In my freshman year of college, my aunt that was well known for her baking and delicious cookies sent me a rather large box filled with ziploc bags containing every single kind of the cookies she likes to bake. Sugar cookies, peanut butter blossoms, bars, chocolate chocolate chip, chocolate with macadamias, you get the idea.

Our floor had a common room so I put the box in there so everyone could share cause if I'd eaten the whole box myself I would have gained more than the freshman 15.  Everyone joked about how evil I was to "bring them down with me in gaining the freshman 15".   Every person said that and I got to a point where I would just say "You bet I am!"  >:D
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Nikko-chan

« Reply #20036 on: March 14, 2013, 09:03:30 AM »
In my freshman year of college, my aunt that was well known for her baking and delicious cookies sent me a rather large box filled with ziploc bags containing every single kind of the cookies she likes to bake. Sugar cookies, peanut butter blossoms, bars, chocolate chocolate chip, chocolate with macadamias, you get the idea.

Our floor had a common room so I put the box in there so everyone could share cause if I'd eaten the whole box myself I would have gained more than the freshman 15.  Everyone joked about how evil I was to "bring them down with me in gaining the freshman 15".   Every person said that and I got to a point where I would just say "You bet I am!"  >:D

I totally would have been glad to help rid you of those cookies had we gone to college together. I love cookies!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20037 on: March 14, 2013, 12:26:21 PM »
The half donuts drive me crazy because I then feel guilty if I want a whole donut.  :(  Usually I would end up doing the math, trying to guess whether there were enough donuts for everybody to have a whole donut if they wanted one, and taking the half or a whole depending on that.  Unless the donuts had been out for a long time and it was near the end of the day.  Then... fair game!  Yay donuts!

I worked with someone once who coudln't bring themself to eat a whole donut, so she'd come by, and pull pieces off one, leaving the rest there. Um fine, if you don't want the whole thing but a. use knife and cut it please, or b. take the whole thing and only eat waht you want. By doing what she did, no one else wanted any since she kept touching it!

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #20038 on: March 14, 2013, 12:48:20 PM »

My stop on the way to work has an escalator that can go either up or down. If there's nobody on it, it stops, and whichever platform - top or bottom - is first stepped on decides the direction the escalator goes. Now, it's not a particularly long escalator, but it's the only way for people unable to use the stairs next to it to reach their train, as the elevator to the train platform is on the other side of a busy street. I usually take the stairs, but if I'm very tired or carrying a lot with me, I take the escalator. However, I make a point to look up and see if anybody needs it to get to the bottom level, and if I see someone, I alert those behind me to it, too.

Today was one of the tired days, particularly because I'd had to walk up a very long and steep defective escalator just before the bidirectional one, so seeing nobody at the top platform waiting, I stepped on the escalator (along with a bunch of other people).

However, when I was halfway up, we were all severely berated by an elderly woman with crutches who stood a fair bit away from the exit so it was impossible to see her from below. She proceeded to call us all lazy and selfish and when I told her she needed to step forward a bit so people on the bottom level could see her, she focussed her tirade directly on me.

I'm not sure she really counts as a special snowflake, she was probably frustrated and maybe in pain, but I had phrased my advice very politely and emphatically and her tone was just hostile. I considered alerting people approaching the escalator on her behalf, but her behavior made me think twice. She shouted down herself, then, anyway.

I think she was rude for yelling at other passengers. It doesn't matter whether you were feeling lazy or not- this sounds like first come, first served.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

LazyDaisy

« Reply #20039 on: March 14, 2013, 01:15:40 PM »

I think she was rude for yelling at other passengers. It doesn't matter whether you were feeling lazy or not- this sounds like first come, first served.
Wow that lady certainly was a SS. Is there no elevator for the disabled? How do wheelchair users get down? People with children in strollers? If I were on crutches I wouldn't even want to try the escalator though.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." — Douglas Adams