Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5539292 times)

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #20040 on: March 14, 2013, 05:57:20 PM »
My stop on the way to work has an escalator that can go either up or down. If there's nobody on it, it stops, and whichever platform - top or bottom - is first stepped on decides the direction the escalator goes. Now, it's not a particularly long escalator, but it's the only way for people unable to use the stairs next to it to reach their train, as the elevator to the train platform is on the other side of a busy street.
<snip>
However, when I was halfway up, we were all severely berated by an elderly woman with crutches who stood a fair bit away from the exit so it was impossible to see her from below. She proceeded to call us all lazy and selfish and when I told her she needed to step forward a bit so people on the bottom level could see her, she focussed her tirade directly on me.
The concept of a bidirectional escalator is making my brain hurt.  I think is must only work if used seldom or if traffic mainly flows one way in the morning and the other direction in the evening. :-\

I am imagining a still escalator, waiting for someone to step on it.  Say the first person is at the bottom.  When they step on the escalator, it starts moving up.  What if there is someone at the top who wants to go down?  Do they wait until everyone at the bottom rides to the top and then, when the escalator is empty, the people at the top can step on the top step and the escalator will go down?

What happens when it is very busy?  I am imagining people at the top waiting and waiting for all the people to get off so they can go down.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Miss March

« Reply #20041 on: March 14, 2013, 06:50:18 PM »
We have a guest at our hotel who is complaining about housekeeping. You see, he puts out his "Do not disturb" sign, so they don't knock on his door, but they sometimes clean the rooms adjacent to his room, and he finds this unacceptable. He believes that while his "Do not disturb" sign is up, housekeeping should not come into that wing of rooms at all. Every room around his can wait until he is ready for service, to his thinking.
How lucky I am to have something that makes saying good bye so hard.-- Winnie the Poo

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #20042 on: March 14, 2013, 06:53:31 PM »
He needs to pay more money for that sort of silence.

We had the opposite on our wedding night. We were staying in this beautiful hotel suite and it was quite a way to the door. We rode red room service and there was a buzzer, so we thought we'd hear them come so we had the TV on.

They knocked softly as it was late, no wonder we didn't hear them. We rang downstairs a lot that night as we thought there was no one coming!

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #20043 on: March 14, 2013, 08:55:12 PM »
We had the opposite on our wedding night. We were staying in this beautiful hotel suite and it was quite a way to the door. We rode red room service and there was a buzzer, so we thought we'd hear them come so we had the TV on.
I'm confused re the bolded part. :-[
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #20044 on: March 14, 2013, 09:03:53 PM »
I'm confused re the bolded part. :-[

I think it's supposed to say "ordered" just flipped the first 2 letters, and got an errant space in there. I've done it...kind of a lot, actually
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #20045 on: March 14, 2013, 09:35:50 PM »
Stupid ipad autocorrect. Even hen you get the words right it changes them on you!

marcel

« Reply #20046 on: March 14, 2013, 09:44:40 PM »
Stupid ipad autocorrect. Even hen you get the words right it changes them on you!
OT, but I always hear complaints about autocorrect, but can't those not be turned of on some devices?
Wherever you go..... There you are.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #20047 on: March 15, 2013, 12:58:22 AM »

Never trust hens and chickens.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #20048 on: March 15, 2013, 12:58:29 AM »
OT, but I always hear complaints about autocorrect, but can't those not be turned of on some devices?

Most of the time it's helpful...until it's not :)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #20049 on: March 15, 2013, 02:38:48 AM »

Yeah, but it took me a while to figure out how to turn it off on the iPad  :P  I was replying to a post on here where the OP used "flatmate" and the iPad just. would. not. let me type it as one word.  That's what finally got me mad enough to look up "how to turn off iPad autocorrect" and find the right menu  ;)

Catananche

« Reply #20050 on: March 15, 2013, 08:04:56 AM »
Even if you turn auto-correct off there are still some devices that decide for you which word you meant to type.

English is my second language and reading auto-corrected posts is entertaining AND complicated at the same time. It's like a puzzle!

Mediancat

• Shibboleth of Shadowland
« Reply #20051 on: March 15, 2013, 08:21:26 AM »
For amusement on that front, I suggest the website Da(m)n you Autocorrect, which is hilarious but oh so very much not e-Hell compliant.

Rob
"In all of mankind's history, there has never been more damage done than by someone who 'thought they were doing the right thing'." -- Lucy, Peanuts

Shalamar

« Reply #20052 on: March 15, 2013, 10:46:31 AM »
My iPad keeps autocorrecting "well" to "we'll", even for a sentence like "She did very well in her exam".  I don't get that.

Speaking of hotels, one time my husband and I were having a second honeymoon in the nicest hotel in town.  We'd ordered room service, and while we were waiting, we decided to - ahem - pass the time.  The very second that we were done, there was a discreet knock and a "Room Service!" at the door.   I can only assume that the guy was waiting patiently outside for us to conclude matters.  Boy, was I embarrassed! 

Melle

« Reply #20053 on: March 15, 2013, 10:55:26 AM »
I am imagining a still escalator, waiting for someone to step on it.  Say the first person is at the bottom.  When they step on the escalator, it starts moving up.  What if there is someone at the top who wants to go down?  Do they wait until everyone at the bottom rides to the top and then, when the escalator is empty, the people at the top can step on the top step and the escalator will go down?

What happens when it is very busy?  I am imagining people at the top waiting and waiting for all the people to get off so they can go down.

Exactly that :) it's as asinine as it sounds.

daen

« Reply #20054 on: March 15, 2013, 11:02:22 AM »
My iPad keeps autocorrecting "well" to "we'll", even for a sentence like "She did very well in her exam".  I don't get that.

I vaguely recall reading about some way of customizing your autocorrect setup - there might be a way of having it autocorrect "*well" into "well." It might avoid the well-to-we'll problem. However, I haven't used an Apple product since the Apple IIe, so I have no experience with iPads.