Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5420543 times)

MissRose

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #20085 on: March 19, 2013, 06:00:42 PM »
Encountered one during my recent holidays in the NYC area:

*The guy on a bus that tried to argue with the bus driver on where he should be dropped off when she could not do so in a safe area.   She did get to an area where she could drop him off without him getting hit by several cars.  Also, I heard him muttering under his breath on the phone before he was able to get off the bus to someone about that female dog bus driver, really classy... NOT!

Then I have to say my friend's cat is an SS (in a way lol) :

I was staying with a friend and her husband just outside of NYC.  They have 2 cats.  1 cat was shy, the other cat was more social.  My friend had to go to work early the day I departed and the social cat kept going to into the room where her husband was trying to do his work as he works  from home, and he could not make the cat come in the room where I was no matter what he tried... Cats !!!!

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #20086 on: March 19, 2013, 06:02:55 PM »
Cats are like that, they like to do things on their an terms. We have two. The girl is rather social, loves meeting visitors but her brother's not and usually sleeps on the couch and doesn't have anything to do with anyone.

missmolly

« Reply #20087 on: March 20, 2013, 03:49:18 PM »
I was waiting in line at a train station last week to fix a mistake for a booking. It was a long line in front of multiple service desks, but only three windows were open and most customers had a complicated issue. So I had been waiting in line for a good 45 minutes at that point. A fourth window opened up suddenly, so the young couple at the front of the queue line started to move towards it. Suddenly an elderly gentleman appeared out of nowhere and made a beeline for the open window. The couple got his attention and explained to him that there was a long queue and he would have to wait like everyone else. He ignored them and tried to talk with the cashier. Fortunately the cashier was having none of it, and told him to go to the back of the line. He argued with the cashier for a good two minutes and then left in a huff.

About three minutes later he was back, and went to stand behind another customer at the window so that he would be served the moment they were finished. This time members of the queue line protested loudly. Once again, he started to argue that he was in a hurry and didn't have time to wait, but in the face of about forty irritated people, he left, for good this time.
"Any idiot can face a crisis, it is this day-to-day living that wears you out". Chekhov.

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #20088 on: March 21, 2013, 02:50:35 AM »
Snowflake Agreewithmyrudeness Specialia:

My SO’s mother was recounting the story of one of her first dates with her husband to me. Evidently, they were on a drive through the mountains, and she put one of his 8 track tapes in for music. It turned out to be some sort of heavy metal band ("you know, that rwaaaar rwaaar rwaaaar kind of music… horrible!"), so she took great delight in telling me that she rolled down the window, chucked it out, and "he’s never listened to anything but country western and easy listening since!"

I must admit, I wasn’t very graceful either, because as she stared at me, obviously expecting me to praise her for her great handling of the situation and training of said husband, all I could respond with was "sounds like a waste of a great 8 track" (I happen to love late-70s metal, myself).  That was much kinder than what my brain was screaming ("seriously, why did this man keep dating you, let alone marry you after this and other similar stories!").

WOW!  That's just...I think I'd be staring at her in disbelief myself. DH and I don't see eye to eye on some forms of music (He loves anime but is not a huge fan of musicals.  I'm the opposite) but I wouldn't dream of throwing his cd's out the window!

Catching up.  My music is my baby, my way to relax.  if anyone were to, say, chuck one of my CDs out the window, I'd just let them off at the nearest gas station, give them a few quarters, and tell that someone to call someone to get a ride home, and to never, EVER contact me again.

Not to mention the little amount of money I get right now, anything I can get is precious. >:(

cutejellybeen

« Reply #20089 on: March 21, 2013, 10:42:50 AM »
We had a snow storm yesterday. Hubby and I went out early to shovel out our car before we went to work. We live in a town house, so our parking is a row along the side of the house. I think my neighbour who parks next to me is a teacher, because she didnt leave yesterday. So, because of this the plow couldn't plow our spot as it was too tight to where she parked (crookedly - I am a brat about this, but if you can't back up into a space straight, don't back up).  so when we got home yesterday expecting a nice clean parking lot, we could barely get into our spot. 

Her husband moved his car so his spot was clean, but apparently they didn't think it important to move hers. Maybe its just me, but if I had two cars, and hubby was unable to move his for the plow, you can bet Id be out there moving it to make life easier on everyone!

snowdragon

« Reply #20090 on: March 21, 2013, 12:19:58 PM »
One of my friends is in HR at a nursing home. She is hiring people for an Alzheimer's unit and the interview process has the requirement of a tour of the secure facility. /BG

She had two very special snowflakes come for interviews this week.  Monday she had a woman show up with a very young child - at the interview. It was known before hand that the tour would be part of the interview and she brought a kid my friend estimated to be about 18months to 2 years to this interview. When informed that they could not take the child on the tour, so the interviewed would not proceed, the mother looked at two other candidates and asked them to take care of the child for "her tour". Que stunned silence. When informed that the tour portion would be in a group and then the candidates split up to go with different interviewers, the woman asked the receptionist to watch her child!  My friend finally told her that she would not be interviewed that day and would have to "reschedule"  ( like that is going to happen).  The Job candidate was not pleased to hear that.

Wednesday, another woman brought her ride into the interview with her, because "It's too far to take a bus and she'll need to drive me." Perfectly reasonable to have to get a ride - but really, they need to come into the interview room with you?  have them go for a cup of coffee somewhere and comeback.

Jocelyn

« Reply #20091 on: March 21, 2013, 12:23:50 PM »
We had a snow storm yesterday. Hubby and I went out early to shovel out our car before we went to work. We live in a town house, so our parking is a row along the side of the house. I think my neighbour who parks next to me is a teacher, because she didnt leave yesterday. So, because of this the plow couldn't plow our spot as it was too tight to where she parked (crookedly - I am a brat about this, but if you can't back up into a space straight, don't back up).  so when we got home yesterday expecting a nice clean parking lot, we could barely get into our spot. 

Her husband moved his car so his spot was clean, but apparently they didn't think it important to move hers. Maybe its just me, but if I had two cars, and hubby was unable to move his for the plow, you can bet Id be out there moving it to make life easier on everyone!
Perhaps she was ill. Or her husband drove her to work. Or her car was iced over and they couldn't get into it. Or it wouldn't start.

cutejellybeen

« Reply #20092 on: March 21, 2013, 01:06:23 PM »

Perhaps she was ill. Or her husband drove her to work. Or her car was iced over and they couldn't get into it. Or it wouldn't start.

Its a pattern - and the car was gone before 7 20 this morning, with no one having touched it yesterday. His car was still there. His car was also gone when we got home yesterday. Trust me when I say that with the exception of school breaks and summer, she is always gone before us. He works from home. It seems to have just been laziness. They are the people who only shovel in front of their house even though they are in the middle. the rest of the town houses shovel the whole walk way at least partially so everyone can get out. It was just frustrating yesterday, as earlier in the week she had parked so badly/crookedly that we couldn't even get into our spot.

snowdragon

« Reply #20093 on: March 21, 2013, 01:43:08 PM »

Its a pattern - and the car was gone before 7 20 this morning, with no one having touched it yesterday. His car was still there. His car was also gone when we got home yesterday. Trust me when I say that with the exception of school breaks and summer, she is always gone before us. He works from home. It seems to have just been laziness. They are the people who only shovel in front of their house even though they are in the middle. the rest of the town houses shovel the whole walk way at least partially so everyone can get out. It was just frustrating yesterday, as earlier in the week she had parked so badly/crookedly that we couldn't even get into our spot.

Does your management corporation have rules about this stuff? If so I would start reporting them everytime their inaction impacts your access to your house/parking.

MindsEye

« Reply #20094 on: March 21, 2013, 01:49:16 PM »

Unless your townhouse complex has rules about tenants shoveling walkways or moving cars for the complex plow, then I am having trouble seeing her as a special snowflake just for staying in and not shoveling or moving her car.  There, it sounds like you just don't like her because she isn't "neighborly" and doesn't feel the need to "pitch in". 

The crooked parking, on the other hand... if she is regularly parking so badly that you cannot get into or out of your own (assigned, I assume) parking spot, then I would bang on her door and make her re-park every single time.  And I would complain in writing to the complex management every single time as well.  That kind of parking is definitely snowflake behavior.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #20095 on: March 21, 2013, 04:46:13 PM »
One of my friends is in HR at a nursing home. She is hiring people for an Alzheimer's unit and the interview process has the requirement of a tour of the secure facility. /BG

She had two very special snowflakes come for interviews this week.  Monday she had a woman show up with a very young child - at the interview. It was known before hand that the tour would be part of the interview and she brought a kid my friend estimated to be about 18months to 2 years to this interview. When informed that they could not take the child on the tour, so the interviewed would not proceed, the mother looked at two other candidates and asked them to take care of the child for "her tour". Que stunned silence. When informed that the tour portion would be in a group and then the candidates split up to go with different interviewers, the woman asked the receptionist to watch her child!  My friend finally told her that she would not be interviewed that day and would have to "reschedule"  ( like that is going to happen).  The Job candidate was not pleased to hear that.

Wednesday, another woman brought her ride into the interview with her, because "It's too far to take a bus and she'll need to drive me." Perfectly reasonable to have to get a ride - but really, they need to come into the interview room with you?  have them go for a cup of coffee somewhere and comeback.

And I'm betting both thought your friend was unreasonable for not giving them the job.

MyFamily

« Reply #20096 on: March 21, 2013, 09:50:14 PM »
I want to avoid being an SS, but can I say something to my neighbor about how they park? 
b/g We live in a city with no driveways, so all parking is either on the street or if you are lucky enough, you have a garage and/or parking slab in the back you can access through the alley (we actually have both, so we don't park on the street as frequently as our neighbors do, which I do think may be important to this story). 

When my husband shovels our sidewalks, he will also shovel the walkway to the street and will then shovel into the street so there is a clean path to go from the street to the sidewalk.  Our neighbor across the street consistently parks and blocks this path way.  He is by himself in the car, so he isn't doing this to give a clean spot for someone to get out, I think it is just the spot directly across the street from his house, so that is where he parks, even if there is plenty of room for him to park without blocking the walkway.  This means that everytime I do park on the street and I do have to park on the street at least once a day, I have to walk through the snow and ice or walk to my neighbors walkway.

Would it be SS of me to request that they don't block the walkway?  They have the legal right to park there, but it is inconsiderate and my guess is that it has simply never occured to them. If I can't ask directly, is it okay to put up a sign showing that there is a walkway there?  I saw a cute one a few blocks away, so I can get something, but I'd prefer to not do that since there is a good chance the sign would get stolen.

I'm finally asking because my babysitter was complaining about the same thing regarding one of her neighbors, and she wants to ask them to stop doing it.  And yes, this is still relevant as we still have a lot of snow and ice on the ground.

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20097 on: March 22, 2013, 09:24:08 AM »
Double check that it is legal in your city to block the walkway.  It may not be.

I don't think you'd be a SS to ask your neighbour to pull forward or back so he doesn't block the walkway, as long as it doesn't then limit the number of other cars that can park in that space.  If three cars fit by blocking the walkway and only two cars would fit if they parked to keep the walkway clear, then I think it would be an unreasonable request.  Unless, of course, your city bylaws do say it is illegal to block a walkway.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #20098 on: March 22, 2013, 10:08:01 AM »
For amusement on that front, I suggest the website Da(m)n you Autocorrect, which is hilarious but oh so very much not e-Hell compliant.

Rob

I always wonder how Autocorrect learned that kind of language in the first place.   >:D

Well, they claim they base it on what people have already typed, but based on some of the things I see, I cannot imagine who would be typing such weird things.

My own belief is that developing Autocorrect was given to a development team who were very disappointed that they didn't get a more prestigious project. Therefore, they spent their time developing algorithms to turn the most innocent typos into double entendres at best, and outright profanity at worst, with extra-high probability rating if you were texting your parents or your employer.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

mmswm

« Reply #20099 on: March 22, 2013, 03:50:00 PM »
My mother is having an SS tantrum right now.  There are 6 people in the house watching the UM/Pacific game right now.  When it started, she wasn't here.  We turned switched all 5 TV's in the house to the game so we could move about the house as necessary and not have to miss any of the action, though we are all watching it primarily on the largest TV in the living room.  She came home and immediately switched the living room TV to something else while ALL six of us were in the room and there was an actual play going on, then threw a tantrum when we got mad.  Now granted she usually controls the living room TV, but it's not really fair to ask all of the other six members of the house to crowd into either my parents' bedroom or the playroom (where the other two decently large tv's are located) or the office or classroom (where the even smaller tv's are), when none of those other rooms have enough seating capacity.  We're happy to give up one of the other four tv's, since maybe having the same game on 5 tv's is a tiny bit excessive*, we don't have to have it playing on all of them if she wants to watch something else.

*Three of my parents' 4 adult children plus a half dozen or so cousins have graduated and/or earned graduate degrees from UM. We're a bit rabid in the UM fandom around here.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)