Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5538489 times)

deadbody

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #20100 on: March 22, 2013, 04:23:49 PM »
In her situation, I would happily have retired somewhere away from the crowd of screaming football fans. The living room? Not unless it's in a separate building. :)

Pretty sure it's basketball right now :)

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #20101 on: March 22, 2013, 04:27:34 PM »
In her situation, I would happily have retired somewhere away from the crowd of screaming football fans. The living room? Not unless it's in a separate building. :)

We can tell I'm not a sports fan, can't we? :)
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

mmswm

« Reply #20102 on: March 22, 2013, 04:29:30 PM »

lol. Yup.  It's NCAA basketball.  U o Miami hasn't managed to put on a decent basketball team in years (though they've been steadily improving) and this year they have a real shot at taking the whole thing.  Plus, even when they haven't been in the tournament, I still watch.  I'm also a Wake Forest fan (I took several duel enrollment math classes there when I ran out of math classes to take at the boarding school I went to in HS), and though they've been having a rough time recently, they're historically a real contender.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #20103 on: March 22, 2013, 05:58:24 PM »

lol. Yup.  It's NCAA basketball.  U o Miami hasn't managed to put on a decent basketball team in years (though they've been steadily improving) and this year they have a real shot at taking the whole thing.  Plus, even when they haven't been in the tournament, I still watch.  I'm also a Wake Forest fan (I took several duel enrollment math classes there when I ran out of math classes to take at the boarding school I went to in HS), and though they've been having a rough time recently, they're historically a real contender.

Ahem...I thought you were talking about the other M state, Michigan. Since the Miami team is not known for basketball. I was a bit confused since I thought you lived in FL...but figured I'd just read something wrong

mmswm

« Reply #20104 on: March 22, 2013, 06:04:21 PM »

Ahem...I thought you were talking about the other M state, Michigan. Since the Miami team is not known for basketball. I was a bit confused since I thought you lived in FL...but figured I'd just read something wrong

Ooops.  Sorry.  :-\  I did try to be clear by listing both teams playing.

Slightly off-topic, but those of us who live in Miami and are basketball fans are about to have a heart attack between the excitement of the Heat and the Hurricanes. Much to my mother's dismay, conversation around here has turned to "all basketball, all the time".  We're normally very forgiving of her for not being a fan, and rarely insist on the big living room TV, but this is the Hurricanes in the NCAA tournament!  This is a really big deal!  If they make it to the Final Four it's going to necessitate a huge party.  If they make it to the championship game, it'll be bigger than the Super Bowl.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #20105 on: March 22, 2013, 06:09:10 PM »
This.  Just this.

(Summary of "confession" article: woman goes on dates via CraigsList and OkCupid three times a week for months for the express purpose of getting free dinner, then complains about the horrible guys who took her out.  She's astounded that her guy friends all think she's the lowest of the low for doing this.)

mmswm

« Reply #20106 on: March 22, 2013, 06:12:34 PM »
Oh, my!  I couldn't get through even the first half of that without wanting to throw something sharp at the writer.

Jocelyn

« Reply #20107 on: March 22, 2013, 06:47:13 PM »
There's a word for a woman who does things for financial compensation that she wouldn't do otherwise...let me see, what is it....hmmm.....

This woman is disgusting. And she thinks she's all that.

Iris

« Reply #20108 on: March 22, 2013, 06:54:55 PM »
There's a word for a woman who does things for financial compensation that she wouldn't do otherwise...let me see, what is it....hmmm.....

This woman is disgusting. And she thinks she's all that.

Employed? Because I do things for financial compensation that I wouldn't do otherwise every weekday. All day.

Look I agree that what she did was pretty selfish but "Disgusting" and "Low rate prostitute" (from the article) seem pretty far fetched to me.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #20109 on: March 22, 2013, 07:34:44 PM »
I think she's pretty obnoxious, and posting this as if it's a clever idea- yuck. It's rude, and pretty foolish- what happens if she gets stuck with the bill?

However, I also object to calling her names.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Rohanna

« Reply #20110 on: March 22, 2013, 07:56:43 PM »
Also, not to be rude, but she's behaving worse than a prostitute. Whether you agree with them legally or morally, they generally offer a service for the money paid. She's just a scammer.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

nuit93

« Reply #20111 on: March 22, 2013, 08:23:03 PM »
Also, not to be rude, but she's behaving worse than a prostitute. Whether you agree with them legally or morally, they generally offer a service for the money paid. She's just a scammer.

Just what sort of "service" was she supposed to provide?  I don't like what she did either, but to imply she owed these men anything other than her company at dinner for a couple hours is disturbing.

Coruscation

« Reply #20112 on: March 22, 2013, 08:37:49 PM »
She was supposed to seriously consider them as a potential partner? Which is generally what dating is about. Instead she wasted their time and their money.

Or if you date casually, then she was supposed to be an amusing and personable dinner companion who held up her side of the social contract. Somehow I doubt that this was the case.

Best line in the article though. "Even though I hate seafood, I got lobster and ordered dessert and it was the best meal of my life!" Clearly she is getting her enjoyment from a power kick rather than the food.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 09:10:22 PM by Coruscation »

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #20113 on: March 22, 2013, 09:03:02 PM »
I think she's pretty obnoxious, and posting this as if it's a clever idea- yuck. It's rude, and pretty foolish- what happens if she gets stuck with the bill?

However, I also object to calling her names.

I don't see where saying her behavior is disgusting is calling her names.

Coruscation said what I was thinking.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #20114 on: March 22, 2013, 09:07:30 PM »

Just what sort of "service" was she supposed to provide?  I don't like what she did either, but to imply she owed these men anything other than her company at dinner for a couple hours is disturbing.

I don't think that's what Rohanna meant. I think she meant (and correct me if I'm wrong) that she was using these men to get free food. That's not very nice, and certainly pretty sleazy in my book. Ladies and gentlemen of the night do a service for which they are paid, but this woman is not only using men to get nice dinners for free, she's upset that, when she greatly lowers her standards, she will encounter men whom she deems undesirable. That's mind - boggling and special snowflake - y to me.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter