Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5554969 times)

Iris

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #20115 on: March 22, 2013, 09:19:59 PM »
I think she's pretty obnoxious, and posting this as if it's a clever idea- yuck. It's rude, and pretty foolish- what happens if she gets stuck with the bill?

However, I also object to calling her names.

I don't see where saying her behavior is disgusting is calling her names.

Coruscation said what I was thinking.

Actually the line was "This woman is disgusting".

Look, I don't want to set myself up as an apologist for her behaviour. What she did was certainly rude, definitely selfish and not at all something I would like to see my daughter emulate. But I don't think it makes her a disgusting person and I certainly don't think it's prostitution or worse than prostitution. That level of vilification is what I personally am objecting to.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Rohanna

« Reply #20116 on: March 22, 2013, 09:27:25 PM »
Also, not to be rude, but she's behaving worse than a prostitute. Whether you agree with them legally or morally, they generally offer a service for the money paid. She's just a scammer.

Just what sort of "service" was she supposed to provide?  I don't like what she did either, but to imply she owed these men anything other than her company at dinner for a couple hours is disturbing.

She owes them a genuine attempt at conversing with them with an eye to looking for a future partner/friend/scrabble-partner - whatever it was she represented herself in the ad as looking for. Da*ting sites are for people looking for short (as much as a single evening, need I say more) or long term partners- the date is to decide if both parties find one another mutually agreeable, and if they wish to proceed further.

Going on a date with zero intention of it going further than getting a free meal doesn't make you a prostitute, because a prostitute offers a service for money- she is a scammer because she represents herself as a women looking for a relationship, but is only interested in the meal. It would be fine if she had every intention of giving the date a chance and simply didn't click with the person for whatever reason.

It is no better than the people who represent themselves as looking for a long-term partner when they really just want a one-night scrabble partner. You are playing with peoples lives, money and emotions for short term personal gain.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 09:29:56 PM by Rohanna »
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #20117 on: March 22, 2013, 09:48:07 PM »
I think she's pretty obnoxious, and posting this as if it's a clever idea- yuck. It's rude, and pretty foolish- what happens if she gets stuck with the bill?

Actually the line was "This woman is disgusting".

Look, I don't want to set myself up as an apologist for her behaviour. What she did was certainly rude, definitely selfish and not at all something I would like to see my daughter emulate. But I don't think it makes her a disgusting person and I certainly don't think it's prostitution or worse than prostitution. That level of vilification is what I personally am objecting to.

I still don't see how that is calling her a name.  Looking at what she actually did do, I see that only as saying her behavior is disgusting.  We can agree to disagree.

(FWIW, I don't think you're being an apologist.)
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

BB-VA

« Reply #20118 on: March 22, 2013, 09:52:42 PM »
One of my friends is in HR at a nursing home. She is hiring people for an Alzheimer's unit and the interview process has the requirement of a tour of the secure facility. /BG

She had two very special snowflakes come for interviews this week.  Monday she had a woman show up with a very young child - at the interview. It was known before hand that the tour would be part of the interview and she brought a kid my friend estimated to be about 18months to 2 years to this interview. When informed that they could not take the child on the tour, so the interviewed would not proceed, the mother looked at two other candidates and asked them to take care of the child for "her tour". Que stunned silence. When informed that the tour portion would be in a group and then the candidates split up to go with different interviewers, the woman asked the receptionist to watch her child!  My friend finally told her that she would not be interviewed that day and would have to "reschedule"  ( like that is going to happen).  The Job candidate was not pleased to hear that.

Wednesday, another woman brought her ride into the interview with her, because "It's too far to take a bus and she'll need to drive me." Perfectly reasonable to have to get a ride - but really, they need to come into the interview room with you?  have them go for a cup of coffee somewhere and comeback.

I could understand the "ride" coming into the building if outdoor temperatures were excessive (too hot or too cold). but I agree that into the interview room is a bit much.
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

snowdragon

« Reply #20119 on: March 22, 2013, 09:58:09 PM »
One of my friends is in HR at a nursing home. She is hiring people for an Alzheimer's unit and the interview process has the requirement of a tour of the secure facility. /BG

She had two very special snowflakes come for interviews this week.  Monday she had a woman show up with a very young child - at the interview. It was known before hand that the tour would be part of the interview and she brought a kid my friend estimated to be about 18months to 2 years to this interview. When informed that they could not take the child on the tour, so the interviewed would not proceed, the mother looked at two other candidates and asked them to take care of the child for "her tour". Que stunned silence. When informed that the tour portion would be in a group and then the candidates split up to go with different interviewers, the woman asked the receptionist to watch her child!  My friend finally told her that she would not be interviewed that day and would have to "reschedule"  ( like that is going to happen).  The Job candidate was not pleased to hear that.

Wednesday, another woman brought her ride into the interview with her, because "It's too far to take a bus and she'll need to drive me." Perfectly reasonable to have to get a ride - but really, they need to come into the interview room with you?  have them go for a cup of coffee somewhere and comeback.

I could understand the "ride" coming into the building if outdoor temperatures were excessive (too hot or too cold). but I agree that into the interview room is a bit much.

No one involved would have an issue with the ride in the building. Had anyone asked there is a wonder "cafe" just down the hall from the interview room where the ride could have relaxed and had a cup of tea, coffee or whatever.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #20120 on: March 22, 2013, 10:36:24 PM »

I was referring to the people in the article.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #20121 on: March 22, 2013, 10:48:11 PM »

Sorry. I thought you were referring to posters here.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

marcel

« Reply #20122 on: March 22, 2013, 11:14:33 PM »

Sorry. I thought you were referring to posters here.
Actualy, one poster, though not saying the word, was suggesting a certain word, which is name calling in my book.
Wherever you go..... There you are.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20123 on: March 23, 2013, 08:12:18 AM »
I think regardless of what other descriptions apply, the lady was a SS. But can we move on now? I'd hate for this thread to get locked.

rain

« Reply #20124 on: March 23, 2013, 11:15:45 AM »
I had a special snowflake today - the parkingspothogges

at the rec center there was a mostly empty lot in front of the gym/weight lifting/pool wing - and a mostly packed lot in front of the soccer field wing

A guy in a little convertable parks in the soccer lot, notices that people start to park next to him then change directions - he gets out, discovers he's about 4-5" inches at an angle over the line (the rear of his car was over the line which prevented anyone from using that  parking spot) - then he walks over to the gym wing

if he wanted empty spaces by his car there was plenty of room in the other lot - where he went; but taking 2 spaces in front of the soccer wing - when there aren't that many open spaces ... ::)

"oh we thank thee lord for the things we need, like the wind and the rain and the apple seed"

mmswm

« Reply #20125 on: March 23, 2013, 11:38:01 AM »
Rain, I think the parking spot hog is the SS that drives me the most crazy.  Last week at church I really wanted to key this person's car as it was taking up *four* spaces.  Then I reminded myself that I was at church and that probably would be frowned upon.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

jane7166

« Reply #20126 on: March 23, 2013, 11:40:24 AM »

at the rec center there was a mostly empty lot in front of the gym/weight lifting/pool wing - and a mostly packed lot in front of the soccer field wing

A guy in a little convertable parks in the soccer lot, notices that people start to park next to him then change directions - he gets out, discovers he's about 4-5" inches at an angle over the line (the rear of his car was over the line which prevented anyone from using that  parking spot) - then he walks over to the gym wing

if he wanted empty spaces by his car there was plenty of room in the other lot - where he went; but taking 2 spaces in front of the soccer wing - when there aren't that many open spaces ... ::)

I usually can fit my car into a space that someone has deliberately over-flowed into and I often do.  It's worth it to watch them squeeze back into their badly parked car and inch out.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #20127 on: March 23, 2013, 01:38:01 PM »

I usually can fit my car into a space that someone has deliberately over-flowed into and I often do.  It's worth it to watch them squeeze back into their badly parked car and inch out.

I do the same. I love having a compact.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20128 on: March 23, 2013, 02:02:44 PM »

I do the same. I love having a compact.

Especially an old compact which won't notice another ding.

mmswm

« Reply #20129 on: March 23, 2013, 02:31:21 PM »
A slightly different take on parking lot snowflakes:

A few days ago I ran to the grocery store. I did not have any of the kids with me so I parked waaaaay out in the back of the parking lot, where the only available non-handicapped parking was (when I have the boys with me, I park in the handicapped spots, but since the placards belong to them, and I don't actually need the spots for myself, if they're not with me, I don't use the spots). 

So after my shopping was done, I worked my way back to my spot.  This car was stalking me the whole way back.  The parking lot was pretty full, so I figured that this person was going to keep following me so she could have my spot.  I got to my car and unloaded my groceries.  I didn't rush, but I didn't dawdle either.  I took the time I needed to make sure that my groceries were loaded into my car in such a way as they wouldn't get crushed, smooshed or broken.  I don't feel I took an extraordinary amount of time.  As I was unloading the groceries, this woman kept making exasperated gestures at me, like I should be willing to toss my things in my car haphazardly just so she could get into the store a minute sooner.  Well, then I committed the ultimate of sins.  I had the audacity to take my cart back to the cart corral!  This woman then rolled down her window and started to berate me for being rude and inconsiderate and shouldn't I know that people were waiting for my spot!  I just rolled my eyes at her and got into my car, but geesh, I really had to work hard to control evil mmswm that day.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)