Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5422801 times)

mmswm

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #20130 on: March 23, 2013, 02:31:21 PM »
A slightly different take on parking lot snowflakes:

A few days ago I ran to the grocery store. I did not have any of the kids with me so I parked waaaaay out in the back of the parking lot, where the only available non-handicapped parking was (when I have the boys with me, I park in the handicapped spots, but since the placards belong to them, and I don't actually need the spots for myself, if they're not with me, I don't use the spots). 

So after my shopping was done, I worked my way back to my spot.  This car was stalking me the whole way back.  The parking lot was pretty full, so I figured that this person was going to keep following me so she could have my spot.  I got to my car and unloaded my groceries.  I didn't rush, but I didn't dawdle either.  I took the time I needed to make sure that my groceries were loaded into my car in such a way as they wouldn't get crushed, smooshed or broken.  I don't feel I took an extraordinary amount of time.  As I was unloading the groceries, this woman kept making exasperated gestures at me, like I should be willing to toss my things in my car haphazardly just so she could get into the store a minute sooner.  Well, then I committed the ultimate of sins.  I had the audacity to take my cart back to the cart corral!  This woman then rolled down her window and started to berate me for being rude and inconsiderate and shouldn't I know that people were waiting for my spot!  I just rolled my eyes at her and got into my car, but geesh, I really had to work hard to control evil mmswm that day.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #20131 on: March 23, 2013, 02:35:41 PM »

A few days ago I ran to the grocery store. I did not have any of the kids with me so I parked waaaaay out in the back of the parking lot, where the only available non-handicapped parking was (when I have the boys with me, I park in the handicapped spots, but since the placards belong to them, and I don't actually need the spots for myself, if they're not with me, I don't use the spots). 

So after my shopping was done, I worked my way back to my spot.  This car was stalking me the whole way back.  The parking lot was pretty full, so I figured that this person was going to keep following me so she could have my spot.  I got to my car and unloaded my groceries.  I didn't rush, but I didn't dawdle either.  I took the time I needed to make sure that my groceries were loaded into my car in such a way as they wouldn't get crushed, smooshed or broken.  I don't feel I took an extraordinary amount of time.  As I was unloading the groceries, this woman kept making exasperated gestures at me, like I should be willing to toss my things in my car haphazardly just so she could get into the store a minute sooner.  Well, then I committed the ultimate of sins.  I had the audacity to take my cart back to the cart corral!  This woman then rolled down her window and started to berate me for being rude and inconsiderate and shouldn't I know that people were waiting for my spot!  I just rolled my eyes at her and got into my car, but geesh, I really had to work hard to control evil mmswm that day.

EvilTraska suggestion: accede to her wishes.  Leave the cart in the spot.

mmswm

« Reply #20132 on: March 23, 2013, 02:40:20 PM »

EvilTraska suggestion: accede to her wishes.  Leave the cart in the spot.

Oh, yeah.  EvilMe wanted to do exactly that, especially since I drive a tiny little civic and hadn't pulled all the way forward (but the back end of my car was still completely in the spot) and this woman was driving a full sized Cadillac. If I'd left my cart near where the front of my own car was, she'd have never been able to get her car completely in the spot without either having to get out and move the cart, or bumping into the cart and potentially causing damage to both her car and the other vehicles that were in the area.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

TylerBelle

« Reply #20133 on: March 23, 2013, 02:49:23 PM »

I've had a slightly similar experience. My mom and I had gone fairly early one morning to the store and we'd gotten a good spot, with a handicap one on one side and empties on the other. When we came out, it was still like that, there was no one in those regular slots yet. As we put stuff in the trunk, we noticed a pickup sitting in the lane as though they were waiting for a spot to clear. Where they waiting for us? If so, why? The one right beside us was empty, as were the others along our row. But they just sat there. As we were getting ourselves into the car, another car came and pulled into the spot beside us, but the truck remained where it was. As we backed out and drove on, I looked back to watch and sure enough, the pickup driver pulled right in to the spot we'd just vacated. Okaaaayyyy. It was a mystery to me as to why they had to have that place and not taken one just a few feet away, but get points for being patient. :)
Always be on the lookout for wonder. --E.B. White

mmswm

« Reply #20134 on: March 23, 2013, 02:59:50 PM »
Tyler, I do have a theory for your patient truck driver.  It's possible that either himself or his passenger had a temporary disability (using crutches or a walker, or just needed a little extra space) and didn't have a handicap parking permit.  The spot you were in was reasonably close, and next to the access aisle, so when he came back out, he could be sure he had the extra space to get in and out of his truck.  I've stalked similar spots when for whatever reason I didn't have one of the boys' permits with me but did have a boy who needed a wheelchair.  My choices are to park way out in the back and take several spots, or wait patiently for somebody to vacate a space adjacent to a handicap spot.

That might not be the case with your spot-stalker, but it is a reasonable explanation.

TylerBelle

« Reply #20135 on: March 23, 2013, 03:05:21 PM »
More than likely the scenario there. I just never had that happen before. They were patient about though, unlike what you had to put up with.
Always be on the lookout for wonder. --E.B. White

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #20136 on: March 23, 2013, 10:30:22 PM »
Came across 3 SS walking down the middle of the road this morning. They were walking next to each other, and didn't have the common decency to move over so we could go around them. They did break into a trot, but that really didn't fix the problem.

Finally, one ran off the edge of the road, and the other 2 flew in different directions. Darn, turkeys, you'd think they would have better manners. No, really, they really were turkeys.

snowdragon

« Reply #20137 on: March 23, 2013, 10:31:48 PM »
I had a special snowflake today - the parkingspothogges

at the rec center there was a mostly empty lot in front of the gym/weight lifting/pool wing - and a mostly packed lot in front of the soccer field wing

A guy in a little convertable parks in the soccer lot, notices that people start to park next to him then change directions - he gets out, discovers he's about 4-5" inches at an angle over the line (the rear of his car was over the line which prevented anyone from using that  parking spot) - then he walks over to the gym wing

if he wanted empty spaces by his car there was plenty of room in the other lot - where he went; but taking 2 spaces in front of the soccer wing - when there aren't that many open spaces ... ::)

I usually can fit my car into a space that someone has deliberately over-flowed into and I often do.  It's worth it to watch them squeeze back into their badly parked car and inch out.

I've done that too. I did it so well at the Y over the summer that two of the staff took pictures and showed them off at a party later that evening.

weeblewobble

« Reply #20138 on: March 23, 2013, 11:20:52 PM »
I would like to nominate the snowflake who basically shut down a fastfood drive through this morning.   The drive through lane is pretty narrow anyway due to the placement of a fence and the menu sign.  And despite the fact that there are no parking spots anywhere next to the drive through lane, someone took it upon themselves to park perpendicular to the drive through lane, backing up until their tires hit the little concrete divider that separated the drive through lane from the rest of the lot.   So about two feet of this car's trunk hung over into the drive through lane, making it impossible for anything bigger than a subcompact car to pull through past the menu sign to the window.  This resulted in chaos as larger cars got stuck, unable to pull through, had to back out, setting off a chain reaction of backing out among subsequent customers. 

The restaurant eventually shut down the drive through and posted an employee outside the restaurant (in freezing old temperatures) asking people to go inside and order.  The poor staff apologized profusely and offered everyone free coffee or hot cocoa.  They said they had no idea who the car belonged to, but suspected it was a guest at one of the adjacent motels.  The staff had called a tow truck, but it was taking a while to get there.

Seriously, who does that?

ETA: Because of the placement of the window, the staff was not able to see who parked there or when they did it.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 11:23:38 PM by weeblewobble »

mmswm

« Reply #20139 on: March 24, 2013, 12:17:23 AM »
Oh, I do hope the tow truck driver got there before the owner of the car had a chance to retrieve it.  I don't often wish ill events on people, but that person really deserved to have to pay an impound fee.

TomatoBunny

« Reply #20140 on: March 24, 2013, 03:05:59 AM »
Oh, yeah.  EvilMe wanted to do exactly that, especially since I drive a tiny little civic and hadn't pulled all the way forward (but the back end of my car was still completely in the spot) and this woman was driving a full sized Cadillac. If I'd left my cart near where the front of my own car was, she'd have never been able to get her car completely in the spot without either having to get out and move the cart, or bumping into the cart and potentially causing damage to both her car and the other vehicles that were in the area.

I have found that "little things" like fitting into the space properly doesn't stop people from parking there anyway. Every time I go out, I always find some vehicle with the back end overhanging the space. Usually it's a foot or two overhanging, but on my last trip to the grocery, I found the worst offender yet and practically 1/3-1/2 of the vehicle was not pulled into the space. The aisle was wide enough for two cars to pass each other, but with this vehicle sticking out so far, it was reduced to a one lane aisle. It was ridiculous.

IrishGenes

« Reply #20141 on: March 24, 2013, 08:42:07 AM »
Came across 3 SS walking down the middle of the road this morning. They were walking next to each other, and didn't have the common decency to move over so we could go around them. They did break into a trot, but that really didn't fix the problem.

Finally, one ran off the edge of the road, and the other 2 flew in different directions. Darn, turkeys, you'd think they would have better manners. No, really, they really were turkeys.

I haven't had all my coffee yet this morning, so I had to re-read this before I understood it.  Then I laughed.  Loud!  ;D
"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it."  ~ The Talmud

Barney girl

« Reply #20142 on: March 24, 2013, 08:52:47 AM »

They're probably friends with the pheasant I met a while back. I must have followed it at least quarter of a mile down a narrow lane as it ran ahead of me. It was too thick to turn off into the side, or wild suggestion, use its wings to get out of the way.
The situation was resolved when the road turned at right angles and it kept straight on.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20143 on: March 24, 2013, 09:44:54 AM »

I haven't had all my coffee yet this morning, so I had to re-read this before I understood it.  Then I laughed.  Loud!  ;D

Turkeys are silly. I was once on my way to my parents, and traffic had come to a stop on a busy road. at first glance, it looked like two cars, going in the opposite direction, had stopped to chat. Which really woudl have been an SS move. As I was able to move up a smidge, i realized there were turkeys in the middle of the road, and a woman in a car going the other way was leaning out of her window, clapping her hands and yelling at them.

They finally did, and then the darn turkeys chased her car! i was laughing so hard i almost had to pull over!

Adelaide

« Reply #20144 on: March 24, 2013, 11:19:24 AM »
There is a girl at my school who refuses to be wrong. She'll stone-wall you over anything, even if it's something stupid. The other day someone mentioned that there were three Hunger Games books as she was saying "No, there's four." She had an entire table of people telling her that she was wrong, and she would not back down. I finally googled them and showed her. After pausing for a minute and staring at me, she proceeded to explain that she thought there were four because one of the movies is getting split into two parts. NEVER admitted that she was wrong. And it's always stupid stuff, stuff that we'd feel embarrassed arguing with her about because it's so petty. But if you tell her she's wrong, she'll just pause and give you The Look like you're a total idiot. Someone said they thought she'd be a great lawyer because she refused to back down, but I think that she'll be a terrible one if she can't spot the weaknesses in her own argument, because opposing counsel sure will be able to.