Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5370881 times)

Library Dragon

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #20175 on: March 25, 2013, 02:55:18 AM »
Are you using the portion control cups too?   :P

Sorry, couldn't resist.  I grew up in a church that used the little cups.  When I was a chaplains' assistant in the Army I had to fill those up.  Worse, I had to wash them all too.

Well, me too! Although I got my Chaplain to buy disposable cups when we had an out break of a flu type illness. :) Then back to washing up!

Wow!  We're a rare breed. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

o_gal

« Reply #20176 on: March 25, 2013, 08:03:33 AM »
I grew up Methodist.  Communion isn't an everyday thing in that denomination, and one of my first times was memorable.   My friend decided she really liked the bread and grape juice and went up after services asking for seconds.  The poor usher was flabbergasted  ;D

It took DH about six months to find the right way to ask where our church got their communion bread because it was just that good  ;D  (Kroger's store-brand Hawaiian bread, if anyone's curious!)

When I was elementary school age, I was a communion SS. I grew up in a Presbyterian church, and our particular church only did communion every 3 months. Most of the P churches in our area would get the bread from one particular bakery, which would make huge sheets of shortbread. These were scored so that you can break them into smaller pieces.

In other words, we had cookies as our communion bread. My Mom would let fidgety me leave church once during the service, where I usually just went to the restroom or explored around for a few minutes (I knew the limit of my time "out"). While exploring one glorious Sunday, I found where they stored the leftover communion bread - the freezer downstairs in the kitchen where no one was on a regular Sunday. And where no one would see me joyfully helping to "dispose" of the leftovers.

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #20177 on: March 25, 2013, 08:22:01 AM »
That man would be sorely disappointed if he did communion at my church. We use grape juice.  ;D

Ah ... Methodist!!   ;D

Nope! Baptist. My mom is Methodist though! ;D

Catholic here. When I made my first communion the wine was really grape juice. Our priest at the time was a recovering alcoholic.
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20178 on: March 25, 2013, 09:32:14 AM »
Former Catholic, now Episcopalian here, and wine was always used in the Catholic churches and Episcopal churches I've been to (a whole 2).  But the alcohol content is so low that I can't imagine even a mouthful would really do much for anyone.  (though I could understand a recovering alcoholic abstaining)

In our church you have the choice of either taking a sip from the cup or dipping your wafer in the wine and taking both in at once. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Spring Water on Sundays

• We will never rest, fighting the battle of who could care less.
« Reply #20179 on: March 25, 2013, 12:13:57 PM »
That man would be sorely disappointed if he did communion at my church. We use grape juice.  ;D

Ah ... Methodist!!   ;D

Nope! Baptist. My mom is Methodist though! ;D

Catholic here. When I made my first communion the wine was really grape juice. Our priest at the time was a recovering alcoholic.

The Monsignor in my church when I was growing up was also a recovering alcoholic. He used grape juice during communion, but regular wine was used for the congregation. It was heavily emphasized in the altar boys' training not to forget where the grape juice was kept and to NEVER mix up the 2 bottles!!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 12:17:56 PM by Spring Water on Sundays »

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #20180 on: March 25, 2013, 12:18:22 PM »
"That's why we Lutherans use grape kool-aid for the blood of Christ!" - one of my favorite lines from Drop Dead Gorgeous, a fantastically funny movie you should all see  ;D

StuffedGrapeLeaves

« Reply #20181 on: March 25, 2013, 12:24:13 PM »
We live across from the elementary school, and the streets get crowded in the morning and afternoon with parents dropping their kids off at school and picking them up from school.  I nominate for SS:

- The parent who decided to park in the middle of the street and then mosey over to take her kids to school.  She was not happy when the security officer made her move the car.

- The parent who parked in our driveway and cursed up a storm when we told him to move.  He thought we were being unreasonable because it would only take him a second to take his child to school.  Never mind that it's our driveway and we were about to get into our car to go to work.  It would be a problem for him to park in our driveway even if we weren't there, but at least he wouldn't be blocking us in.

- The parent who double-parked to wait for her child.  She was in the car, but the way she was double-parked made it impossible for anyone behind her to pass without waiting for the other lane to clear. 

- The parents who decided to stop at the end of our driveway to talk to each other, and then glared and made rude gestures when we asked them to move so we can get our car out.

I will love having the elementary school so close when DS is old enough to go to school, but right now it's really a pain. 

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20182 on: March 25, 2013, 12:33:57 PM »
"That's why we Lutherans use grape kool-aid for the blood of Christ!" - one of my favorite lines from Drop Dead Gorgeous, a fantastically funny movie you should all see  ;D
Geez, if you're going for blood, you could at least use Hawaiian Punch!  ;D
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20183 on: March 25, 2013, 01:22:47 PM »
bansidhe wrote:

"Fortunately, I didn't have to learn that the hard way. I was really late to work one day, however, because there was a Brahma bull the size of a VW Bus standing right in front of the gate to my property. (It's open range where I live.) He'd found a nice patch of grass right there and no amount of horn honking, shouting, dogs barking, or poking with a stick through the fence could induce him to move until he was good and ready. I just had to sit in the car and wait until he decided to mosey on down the road."

Call me crazy, but isn't this sort of thing the specific reason why cattle prods exist?  If I lived in open range territory, I'd invest in one.  A REALLY long one.

Virg

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #20184 on: March 25, 2013, 01:44:22 PM »
We live across from the elementary school, and the streets get crowded in the morning and afternoon with parents dropping their kids off at school and picking them up from school.  I nominate for SS:

- The parent who decided to park in the middle of the street and then mosey over to take her kids to school.  She was not happy when the security officer made her move the car.

- The parent who parked in our driveway and cursed up a storm when we told him to move.  He thought we were being unreasonable because it would only take him a second to take his child to school.  Never mind that it's our driveway and we were about to get into our car to go to work.  It would be a problem for him to park in our driveway even if we weren't there, but at least he wouldn't be blocking us in.

- The parent who double-parked to wait for her child.  She was in the car, but the way she was double-parked made it impossible for anyone behind her to pass without waiting for the other lane to clear. 

- The parents who decided to stop at the end of our driveway to talk to each other, and then glared and made rude gestures when we asked them to move so we can get our car out.

I will love having the elementary school so close when DS is old enough to go to school, but right now it's really a pain.

Do we live on the same street, Stuffed Grape Leaves?  ;)

My house is right next to a school, on a one-way L-shaped side street that happens to be where the main drop-off door is located.

I have pretty much seen all of the above (although now that our driveway is nothing but a mud pit, as it sorely needs more gravel, we havenít seen any more driveway parkers). My personal favorite is the parent who parks on the wrong side of the street, in the bend of the street, right in front of both a no-parking sign and a fire hydrant. Every day, twice a day. Iím surprised they havenít yet received a citation.

CharlieBraun

« Reply #20185 on: March 25, 2013, 02:02:41 PM »
Family in row 23 ahead of me on my flight last week.

1. Took someone else's seat so they could sit together;
2.  Paid for two seats, occupied three, with four people (two children no longer eligible for lap baby status but flying as such).

Topper?  Mommy pulled down the tray tables and changed toddler's muddy diapers on said tray tables.

"We ate the pies."

Hillia

« Reply #20186 on: March 25, 2013, 02:11:27 PM »
Family in row 23 ahead of me on my flight last week.

1. Took someone else's seat so they could sit together;
2.  Paid for two seats, occupied three, with four people (two children no longer eligible for lap baby status but flying as such).

Topper?  Mommy pulled down the tray tables and changed toddler's muddy diapers on said tray tables.
[/quote

How did the flight attendants let them get away with stealing seats and occupying more seats than they had paid for?  It must not have been a full flight if they used 3 seats when they'd only paid for two.  And I would think safety regulations would prohibit a child too large for lap baby status from sitting on someone's lap.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

CharlieBraun

« Reply #20187 on: March 25, 2013, 02:42:36 PM »
How did the flight attendants let them get away with stealing seats and occupying more seats than they had paid for?  It must not have been a full flight if they used 3 seats when they'd only paid for two.  And I would think safety regulations would prohibit a child too large for lap baby status from sitting on someone's lap.

Gate agents are responsible for getting the flights out on time, and it's often interesting to watch the interplay between the gate agents and the flight attendants on matters like this.  The flight was plenty full; what this family did was essentially demand that others move around to accommodate them and by the time someone said they wouldn't move (triggering the challenge by the FAs for boarding slips), the gate agents were in the "hurry up, we gotta close the door and shove back from the gate" mode.  The mommy was traveling with her own dad and mom, and the father had taken the aisle seat and "shamed" anyone wanting their own assigned seat by saying "you don't want to sit next to two kids, so go to another row."

The mommy compounded the fun during the flight by repeatedly trying to slam her seat back (she was right in front of me) and could not, so she'd glare at me as though I were denying her the sprawl.  Hey, I was in an exit row, which mean that her seat wouldn't recline - by law.  The passenger next to me told me that the family originally tried to occupy our exit row, but the flight attendants had them move - since you can't have children in an exit row, especially not lap "babies."  According to my seatmate, mommy was crabby about that because she wanted one or more of her babies to be able to lay down in the additional legroom area that exit rows feature.

Oh, they were special to the max.

They had gotten on our flight early (and staked out their special seats) because "gramma" needed a wheelchair for boarding.  Well, as often happens on flights to vacation destinations, mine was a "Miracle Flight."  Miraculous, because the very same people who have to be carted on board via wheelchair and thusly gain early boarding (along with their entourage,) miraculously become spry and agile upon landing - as was the case with gramma, who charged out of her seat two rows behind me right before the seat belt sign went off at the gate after landing, to start flipping up the four different overhead bins where their stuff was stashed.
"We ate the pies."

bloo

« Reply #20188 on: March 25, 2013, 03:05:18 PM »

One of the most hysterically funny movies I've ever seen! Love it!

KarenK

« Reply #20189 on: March 25, 2013, 03:21:56 PM »

One of the most hysterically funny movies I've ever seen! Love it!

Must agree. A tour de force for all involved.