Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5278098 times)

Virg

• Super Hero!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #20205 on: March 26, 2013, 07:53:45 AM »
CrochetFanatic wrote:

"If people are allowed to bring their own food on board, I think that it's SS (or, at least, very inconsiderate) to bring something stinky that everyone will have to sit there and smell for four hours."

I'd say it's rude but not SS behavior because it could have been inadvertent (they may not have realized that it smelled or that the smell would bother others) and they weren't breaking any rules.

Virg

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #20206 on: March 26, 2013, 09:07:00 AM »
I guess that's true.  Either way, it was nasty.  :P

drzim

« Reply #20207 on: March 26, 2013, 11:19:52 AM »
I don't know if this was SS or not, but when we went on vacation several years ago you could bring your own food on the flight.  I don't know exactly what the rules were there, but I brought a bag of trail mix and some potato chips.  All set!  Then we started to notice this...very intense odor.  It smelled like old rotting mackerel, or something.  We couldn't figure out what it was, or where it was coming from.  Then we spotted a family a few rows ahead of us and on the other side of the aisle, passing a package back and forth and sharing from it.  From what I could tell, it seemed to be fish jerky. 

If people are allowed to bring their own food on board, I think that it's SS (or, at least, very inconsiderate) to bring something stinky that everyone will have to sit there and smell for four hours.  ::)

I agree.  Compared to other airlines, Virgin is my favorite and I have had nothing but excellent experiences with them....if only they would remove the tuna fish from their inflight meal options.....

Whoever thought it would be a good idea to eat tuna fish on a plane?  YUK!!!

Yarnspinner

« Reply #20208 on: March 26, 2013, 11:36:00 PM »
Can I nominate the family that sat in front of MY family during an Easter vigil mass many years ago?

The priest had brought in the Christ Candle from which the ushers light their candles and then, twice during the service, the ushers light the candles of parishoners who go on to light each other's candle down the pew, sharing the hope of resurrection.

Impatient Family in front of us were having none of that!

Each time the lighting of candles began, they would all pull out their cigarette lights and light their candles up.  The whole "sharing the peace and hope of Resurection" was apparently lost on them.  The first time around, they lit my candle up as well.  I didn't want to be rude and let it burn.  Second time around, I pulled my candle away.

What is wrong with people that they cannot understand the purpose of symbolism and ritual???

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #20209 on: March 27, 2013, 12:11:27 AM »
I would have given them a Mr. Spock eyebrow raise, and blown out my candle.  >:D

crella

« Reply #20210 on: March 27, 2013, 06:55:20 AM »
(I sometimes think we need a 'like' button)

v33ly

« Reply #20211 on: March 27, 2013, 03:24:12 PM »
An ongoing situation is driving me insane.  We're having a lot of construction in our downtown area and a number of sidewalks have the covered pathways put over them.  The sidewalks are narrower than normal, there's no real way to dodge since there's no exits from the pathways until you reach the end, and we keep getting late amounts of snow making them even narrower with snow and ice runoff.

The sheer number of people who walk down them two and three abreast is boggling.  It's bad enough when people hog a regular sidewalk, but when they bump you into a fence or iron bars because they're too lazy/important/ill-mannered to realize that we all need to share this tiny space...! 
I've begun striding down my section like I'm heading towards the Witch-King with a Hobbit at my back.  That energy seems to guarantee they move out of my way.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #20212 on: March 27, 2013, 03:31:53 PM »
I have a similar issue in the halls at school, but it is made worse by the students who are looking at their phones or each other. I have stopped giving way.

exitzero

« Reply #20213 on: March 27, 2013, 04:41:42 PM »
An ongoing situation is driving me insane.  We're having a lot of construction in our downtown area and a number of sidewalks have the covered pathways put over them.  The sidewalks are narrower than normal, there's no real way to dodge since there's no exits from the pathways until you reach the end, and we keep getting late amounts of snow making them even narrower with snow and ice runoff.

The sheer number of people who walk down them two and three abreast is boggling.  It's bad enough when people hog a regular sidewalk, but when they bump you into a fence or iron bars because they're too lazy/important/ill-mannered to realize that we all need to share this tiny space...! 
I've begun striding down my section like I'm heading towards the Witch-King with a Hobbit at my back.  That energy seems to guarantee they move out of my way.

I get people here walking under them with open umbrellas, even though the walk ways are covered!

rain

« Reply #20214 on: March 27, 2013, 09:08:43 PM »
 ::) >:(

Saw a lot of snowflakes when we got hit with 12" (or more) of snow

- light colored cars driving without lights (there's a shade of grayish white that blends really well with snow flurries)

- people driving reg. speed on snow/ice covered interstate road

- butt munch who road my tail/tailgated me ....  >:D 8) until he about slid off the road, then he followed at a respectful distance & stuck to my speed
"oh we thank thee lord for the things we need, like the wind and the rain and the apple seed"

Jocelyn

« Reply #20215 on: March 27, 2013, 09:57:09 PM »
Toonbadbthe priest can't say our church only admits well behaved children.
[/quote}
No, but he could preach a sermon on what the Bible says about the duties of parents.  >:D

rachellenore

« Reply #20216 on: March 27, 2013, 10:43:55 PM »
@crochetfanatic

Most Asian people won't even notice a fish smell. After living with a Filipino family for almost 3 years, I have to say that I'm pretty immune to it as well.

MissRose

« Reply #20217 on: March 28, 2013, 07:23:07 AM »
I have to say I like to travel but the SS's can make it a challenge:

*One airport kept open only 1 security lane out of 3 available and had a line that went back at least several hundred people.  I saw about 8 to 10 security people with half standing around doing nothing.  I thought that no more than 5 were the most needed to run the lane from start to finish, at least that is what I saw at a different airport that got me in line and out of it in under 5 minutes even with a secondary screening of my small carry on bag.  Good thing I arrived early for my domestic flight and waited 15 minutes to clear security, what would have been for those on a tighter schedule in the same line.

*The people who seemed to dawdle, talk to others while slowly unloading their stuff, and take their dear time to unload their stuff from the overhead bins when it is safe to do so.  Good thing I built in extra time in my layover between those slow people and the fact my connecting flight was 2 concourses away which made me really hustle my behind to not miss my next flight.

*Those who think they can stuff their large bags in the overhead bins.  The gate people should have forced many more to gate check bags than what I saw when they made several announcements.  I can see people keeping laptop bags or baby diaper bags as examples but some of them were some business people who most had a laptop bag, a carry on and the women had a purse too, and they could have gate checked the carry on.

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #20218 on: March 28, 2013, 07:41:41 AM »
@crochetfanatic

Most Asian people won't even notice a fish smell. After living with a Filipino family for almost 3 years, I have to say that I'm pretty immune to it as well.

No disrespect meant.  :) I'm not used to it at all, so to me it stank.  It probably tasted pretty good, I would guess. 

Cami

« Reply #20219 on: March 28, 2013, 08:41:17 AM »
I don't know if this was SS or not, but when we went on vacation several years ago you could bring your own food on the flight.  I don't know exactly what the rules were there, but I brought a bag of trail mix and some potato chips.  All set!  Then we started to notice this...very intense odor.  It smelled like old rotting mackerel, or something.  We couldn't figure out what it was, or where it was coming from.  Then we spotted a family a few rows ahead of us and on the other side of the aisle, passing a package back and forth and sharing from it.  From what I could tell, it seemed to be fish jerky. 

If people are allowed to bring their own food on board, I think that it's SS (or, at least, very inconsiderate) to bring something stinky that everyone will have to sit there and smell for four hours.  ::)

I agree.  Compared to other airlines, Virgin is my favorite and I have had nothing but excellent experiences with them....if only they would remove the tuna fish from their inflight meal options.....

Whoever thought it would be a good idea to eat tuna fish on a plane?  YUK!!!
Well, that's better than the last flight I took from London to the US -- as we were coming into in NY, the woman next to me pulled out a small, CLEAR Tupperware container. To my astonishment, the minute the nose of the plane starts to dip,  she (neatly) vomits into the container, holds it there -- letting the smell waft towards me -- then vomits a few more times. While I'm grateful she was prepared, did she have to have a CLEAR container with her? She then proceeded to hold it in her hand until she left the plane, so everyone could see the nice pile of vomit.