Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5285395 times)

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #20220 on: March 28, 2013, 08:46:12 AM »
The Field Trip Addition
BG my grade was given a free field trip to see Flat Stanley at the Hobby Center. We were informed of this back in October. We had to tell the how many tickets we needed back then. This required estimating on our part because we are on the revolving door track. Families move among about 6 different apartment complexes in 4 different elementary zones. We ended up having just enough tickets for the kids and staff.

1. The parents that threw ever loving fits because we were all going to be murdered in Houston. (The theater is in a safe neighborhood. If there are problems they happen late at night- not at 9:30 am)

2. The parents that threw fits because we "refused" to buy them tickets. The show was sold out.

3. The day of the show between the families that refused to let the kids go and those that weren't attending school because of Passover* we ended up having enough tickets for the parents who were planning on going and waiting in the lobby. Cue a staff member throwing a fit because she didn't get to invite her student's parents.

4. The performance was scheduled to start at 9:30. We were assigned to this by the the program in our district that was in charge. We reminded them we couldn't leave before 8:15 because of the buses had to finish the HS runs first. We actually left at 8:10 had great drivers that used the HOV lanes. Still we got a call at 9:15 asking where the hell we were because "all the other schools were there so the theater wanted to start the performance" We were just down the block. When we got there 2 other districts were still unloading. We were questioned about why didn't you leave at 7:45 (district person)- School starts at 7:45. At 7:45 our kids are still eating breakfast a bus that 3/4 of  my class rides to school gets to school at 7:45 (2nd run for that driver who also drops a load of kids off at 7 am)  - and there is no way for us to get our lunches from the cafeteria that early. District policy is that field trips leave at 8:15.

The performance was great. The kids had fun. If we are fortunate enough to get to go next year - we will try to go to the 2nd performance so we don't cut the arrival time so close.

*The kids not attending school due to Passover aren't Jewish. They are JW. We didn't know this would be an issue, when we accepted the offer. We try to tailor activities so that our JW and Pentecostal students can participate.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #20221 on: March 28, 2013, 09:42:20 AM »
I don't know if this was SS or not, but when we went on vacation several years ago you could bring your own food on the flight.  I don't know exactly what the rules were there, but I brought a bag of trail mix and some potato chips.  All set!  Then we started to notice this...very intense odor.  It smelled like old rotting mackerel, or something.  We couldn't figure out what it was, or where it was coming from.  Then we spotted a family a few rows ahead of us and on the other side of the aisle, passing a package back and forth and sharing from it.  From what I could tell, it seemed to be fish jerky. 

If people are allowed to bring their own food on board, I think that it's SS (or, at least, very inconsiderate) to bring something stinky that everyone will have to sit there and smell for four hours.  ::)

I agree.  Compared to other airlines, Virgin is my favorite and I have had nothing but excellent experiences with them....if only they would remove the tuna fish from their inflight meal options.....

Whoever thought it would be a good idea to eat tuna fish on a plane?  YUK!!!
Well, that's better than the last flight I took from London to the US -- as we were coming into in NY, the woman next to me pulled out a small, CLEAR Tupperware container. To my astonishment, the minute the nose of the plane starts to dip,  she (neatly) vomits into the container, holds it there -- letting the smell waft towards me -- then vomits a few more times. While I'm grateful she was prepared, did she have to have a CLEAR container with her? She then proceeded to hold it in her hand until she left the plane, so everyone could see the nice pile of vomit.

Oh man... *shudders*  Didn't the airline have airsick bags? 

The theater story reminds me of an incident I witnessed in school.  We were going to see a play on Broadway, and a classmate was turning in the envelope with her permission slip and payment.  The only problem was, she was trying to turn it in two days after the due date.  She turned on the waterworks, and went on about how she had been looking forward to it, and couldn't they make an exception for her?  Because, look, she had the money and the slip right there!

The teacher said no.  The parents called to complain.  The principal caved.  I wouldn't have thought much of it, but I heard her talking with her friends on the bus about how she had forgotten the exact due date (despite numerous reminders), but that she hadn't been worried...She had cried for real over something like this in Second Grade, and learned that tears will get her what she wants as long as she's pathetic and doesn't throw a loud tantrum.  Her friends were mostly silent, but one of them thought it was funny as hell.  >:(

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20222 on: March 28, 2013, 10:08:11 AM »
exitzero wrote:

"I get people here walking under them with open umbrellas, even though the walk ways are covered!"

I'm not sure I could go all the way to SS for that.  I've walked under a sufficient number of scaffold rigs in the rain to know that many of them aren't entirely leak-proof.  If I was dressed for work I'd be sorely tempted to keep my umbrella above me rather than get construction-filtered rain water all over me.

MissRose wrote:

"*One airport kept open only 1 security lane out of 3 available and had a line that went back at least several hundred people.  I saw about 8 to 10 security people with half standing around doing nothing."

In this case there's not enough information to accuse.  This could have been caused by a number of things from a labor dispute to an equipment malfunction, many of which could not reasonably be fixed by an agent assigned to the checkpoint.  In fact, the overstaffing would tend to point to a failure, with those agents unable to do much while some electrician crawls through the wiring closets two floors down.

Virg

Margo

« Reply #20223 on: March 28, 2013, 10:37:02 AM »
I have to say I like to travel but the SS's can make it a challenge:

*One airport kept open only 1 security lane out of 3 available and had a line that went back at least several hundred people.  I saw about 8 to 10 security people with half standing around doing nothing.  I thought that no more than 5 were the most needed to run the lane from start to finish, at least that is what I saw at a different airport that got me in line and out of it in under 5 minutes even with a secondary screening of my small carry on bag.  Good thing I arrived early for my domestic flight and waited 15 minutes to clear security, what would have been for those on a tighter schedule in the same line.

*The people who seemed to dawdle, talk to others while slowly unloading their stuff, and take their dear time to unload their stuff from the overhead bins when it is safe to do so.  Good thing I built in extra time in my layover between those slow people and the fact my connecting flight was 2 concourses away which made me really hustle my behind to not miss my next flight.

*Those who think they can stuff their large bags in the overhead bins.  The gate people should have forced many more to gate check bags than what I saw when they made several announcements.  I can see people keeping laptop bags or baby diaper bags as examples but some of them were some business people who most had a laptop bag, a carry on and the women had a purse too, and they could have gate checked the carry on.

The first is hugely frustrating, but it's very hard to know, as an observer, whether there is a good reason - stuff like shift handovers, people who have not had the appropriate training, or requirements for a certain level of staffing in the lobbies could all contribute to staff *apparently* doing nothing

The second isn't necessarily SS. Not everyone can move or can do things fast - and talking while unloading doesn't automatically mean that you are unloading any more slowly. I agree that if they are *stopping* to talk while blocking an otherwise free aisle then they are a bit Special, but just doing things more slowly that you would do isn't in itself unreasonable.

The third one I agree with,but I think that it is the airlines and gate agents who are to blame.  I'm not sure it counts as SS to take a large bag in as it is so common, and pricing structures seem to encourage it as checked baggage is often charged at an extra cost.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20224 on: March 28, 2013, 01:14:12 PM »
@crochetfanatic

Most Asian people won't even notice a fish smell. After living with a Filipino family for almost 3 years, I have to say that I'm pretty immune to it as well.

No disrespect meant.  :) I'm not used to it at all, so to me it stank.  It probably tasted pretty good, I would guess.

I'm Asian and can smell fish which is not bad, but I agree it's really strong and stinky in dried form (and I have a terrible sense of smell!).  My old medicine was coated in fish oil and I gag everytime I open the bottle (twice a day  :P).  Thank goodness, my pharmacy changed suppliers.

hjaye

« Reply #20225 on: March 28, 2013, 03:24:49 PM »
I haven't thought of this guy in years, thankfully I don't really have a reason do, it's probably been close to twenty five years since I've seen him, but I've got two stories on him:

first story is actually about this guy, and his friend, both, in my opinions SS

Back in the eighties, I used to go deer hunting every season with a group of friends.  One year, we went all out.  we found a nice section in the forest that was off the beaten path and showed lots of sign of lots of deer.  So I along with two or three others guys started going down to this location every week about two months before deer season started.  We walked through the woods looking for  fresh signs that deer were coming through there.  We then scoped out what we believed were good locations to put in deer stands and we built twelve stands throughout the woods. 

We got a large group together, had them come down a week before the season opened, showed them the stands and let them pick the ones that were available.  Since my friends and I had done all the work, we got first choice.

Everyone agreed that we were going to get up very early, about 3:00am, well before dawn so we could get everyone out in the woods and up in the stands.  I was leading one group, one of the other guys who had built the stands with me, was leading the second group.

Opening day came, we were all up, except for Bob.  Someone went to get him, and he came out whining and complaining. 

Bob:   This is stupid, I can't believe we're getting up so early, this is just stupid.

Me:   Bob we all agreed on this a long time ago, if you had a problem with it, why didn't you say so at the time.

Bob:   Look, I'm the type of guy that just calls it as I see it, I don't pull any punches, so when I see something is stupid, I'll tell you it's stupid, and getting up this early is stupid!

Me:   Well Bob if you want to go back to bed, then go crawl in your tent and go back to bed, just don't come walking out in the woods at 8:00 trying to find you're stand, you're likely to get shot, and I'll field strip you and hang you in a tree if I'm the one that shoots you..... (I didn't really say that last part, I was just thinking it............ :) )

Bob:   No, I'll go get in the stand, but I just want you to know that this is stupid....

so as it turns out, the only one who shot a deer that day, was Bob's friend that he had invited to come along.  There was no problem with that, we all helped carry the deer out of the woods, we helped clean it.  Those of us who had not killed anything, went back out in the woods after lunch to get in our stands again.  When we came back Bob and his friend were gone.  Bob got some of the deer meat, the rest of us, those of us who had done all the scouting and building, and those who also helped lug the deer out of the woods and help clean it, all got nothing.

Story two:

I used to play poker every other Saturday night at a friends house, most of us that played worked together.  We all knew Bob because he worked with us, he was invited to come play cards with us one night.

Now back then we played a strictly cash game, and it was dealers choice.  We had started out playing with wild cards, but eventually we stopped doing that.  We did however play with one extra joker in the deck, so it was a 53 card deck.  The joker was not fully wild, it could be used as an Ace, or it could be used to fill a straight or a flush.  That's how we played, that's how anyone could use the joker if they got it in their hand.

so we explain the rules before the game starts, and we explain how to use the joker if you get it in your hand..

Bob:   Well I play a lot of poker with some friends of mine, we use a joker too, but we only allow it to be used as a fifth Ace.

Me:   That's understandable, but tonight in this game, the joker, although not fully wild, can be used as more than an Ace.  you'll appreciate that if you need a card to fill a straight or a flush and the joker shows up in your hand.

Bob:   Well it just seems kind of silly to allow the joker to be anything more than an Ace.

Me:   Well in any case, silly or not, that's how we play, the rules apply equally to everyone.

so during the course of the game, Bob gets a hand that ends with three of a kind, not a bad hand in poker.  The other guy who was still in the pot along with Bob laid down his cards and called his hand as a straight, 10 to the Ace, with one of the cards being the joker.

Bob:   That's not a straight, I'm just looking at a pair of Aces!!!

Me:   No Bob, that's a straight, he's using the joker to fill in for the queen to make the straight

Bob:   No, it's just a pair of Aces, a joker cannot be used except as an extra Ace.

Me:   Bob, that may be how you play with your friends, but here, in this game, as was told to you before the game even started jokers can be used to fill in straights.

Bob:   Well, that's pretty stupid, and if you're going to play that way, I guess i won't be coming back.

Me:   Well you're certainly right that you won't be coming back.   

Modified to make it more readable.   
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 04:22:13 PM by hjaye »

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20226 on: March 28, 2013, 04:48:02 PM »
I can see people keeping laptop bags or baby diaper bags as examples but some of them were some business people who most had a laptop bag, a carry on and the women had a purse too, and they could have gate checked the carry on.
Maybe, maybe not.  My carry-on is a backpack that has my CPAP in it.  I do not trust ANYONE with that backpack. It stays in  my direct control at all times.  If it won't fit into the overhead (as on some very small regional jets) it is loaded in such a way that it fits under the seat.

Now, ordinary steamer trunks suitcases I agree with you.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

bloo

« Reply #20227 on: March 28, 2013, 05:08:29 PM »
Me:   Well Bob if you want to go back to bed, then go crawl in your tent and go back to bed, just don't come walking out in the woods at 8:00 trying to find you're stand, you're likely to get shot, and I'll field strip you and hang you in a tree if I'm the one that shoots you..... (I didn't really say that last part, I was just thinking it............ )

Hjaye: I would have said this to Bob! But I'm kinda a mouthy broad!

I can see why it's been 20+ years since you've seen him... :)

Tashigi

« Reply #20228 on: March 30, 2013, 11:08:18 PM »
Parking joys...
I headed into town for the farmer's market. I usually park in a little lot a block away where the aisles are very narrow one-way affairs and lot itself is bordered on two sides by numerous businesses.

When I'm heading down one aisle, I see that one car is parked on the left side of the aisle and not in a space, enough that it can be passed, but making it near impossible to park in an available spot on the right. The owner clearly had made a run into the dry cleaner's. I managed to inch into the available spot and gave an arched eyebrow to the car's owner as he heads out with his drycleaning.

What boggles me is that there was a space available right in front of the dry cleaner. The owner didn't have to park right in the aisle at all.

Pen^2

« Reply #20229 on: March 30, 2013, 11:57:05 PM »
Bob:   Look, I'm the type of guy that just calls it as I see it, I don't pull any punches, so when I see something is stupid, I'll tell you it's stupid, and getting up this early is stupid!
I like it when people say things like this. "I'm the kind of person who says whatever comes into my head without caring about how other people feel about it." Especially when they say it as though it's something they should be proud of: "I have the social skills of a two-year-old so there!" It's good to be able to write them off mentally as a borderline sociopath so I know not to waste time on them anymore. Otherwise it can take years to find out that they're not worth it.

My own story: I enjoy finding out things about ordinary days to make them interesting, e.g. famous historical events that happened on that day. Sometimes I have to go to Wikipedia or Google to find things out, but other times they're famous enough to not have to bother.

I was at work, where nearly everyone is lovely except one particular person, whom I shall call Flakey. It turned out that it was Flakey's birthday, and as we were all talking casually over lunch, I commented that it was cool to be born on the Ides of March.
Flakey: The what of March?
Me: The Ides of March. You know, "beware the Ides of March" and Julius Caesar and all that.
Flakey: What on earth are you on about?
Me: It's the date when Julius Caesar was assassinated, in 44BCE. It was also in a Shakespeare play where he got warned of it by these fortune-telling witches, but he didn't take the advice. It's a pretty cool date to be born on--very important historically.
Flakey: How dare you!
Me:  :o ?
Flakey: It's my birthday, so I know all about it, not you. This is the worst birthday ever! You don't have to go and make me look stupid! You're stupid!
And off Flakey goes, while the rest of us sit stunned for a few minutes before just going on to talk about witches. I thought it was more well-known, and that people were generally interested in cool facts about their birthdays, but apparently I'm not allowed to know more than the birthday snowflake.

Shalamar

« Reply #20230 on: March 31, 2013, 12:50:32 PM »
Kind of off-topic, but I work with folks who've never heard of the Ides of March.   I quoted a Wayne and Shuster sketch on March 15 (Canadian folks may know it - "Don't go, Julie, don't go!   It's the Ides of March; BEWARE already!"), and boy, did I get some weird looks.

Adelaide

« Reply #20231 on: March 31, 2013, 01:55:54 PM »
There's a girl at my law school who is a apparently a genius but is very, very eccentric and not particularly adjusted to social interaction. (She started crying during her oral argument last semester.) I'm working on a group assignment with her and she has been late every time in sending her portion of the project to me. I've found out that in addition to being eccentric, she has an excuse for everything. She didn't send me her project because she overslept. Or she had to go to church. Or she didn't have the e-mail address. Any time you apply any pressure, she freaks out and starts over-apologizing. Thirteen apologies don't make things better. I gave her a deadline of 4 p.m. today (which has been changed from 4 p.m. Thursday, to 4 p.m. Friday, etc.) and she tripped all over herself saying that she could have it to me by 3 p.m. today. Again, that doesn't do me much good. She's been SS this whole project. When the group was struggling to come up with a time to meet and we settled on 12 p.m. last Friday, she said she couldn't be there. I knew she didn't have class so I said "Wait, you really can't be there?" and she started laughing nervously and said "Well, I could be there, I just don't want to." After setting the meeting for that Friday I firmly told her that she had to be there. Of course she missed it and tripped all over herself apologizing.  ::)

BB-VA

« Reply #20232 on: March 31, 2013, 02:19:04 PM »
Special snowflake or cheapskate?

http://dailycaller.com/2013/03/28/dale-peterson-explains-bizarre-arrest-for-eating-peanuts/

Either way, it's over the top, imo.   :o
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

Jocelyn

« Reply #20233 on: March 31, 2013, 02:24:46 PM »
I loved how he said it was only over '22 cents worth' of cashews. As if he thought someone else was going to buy the remaining $12.78 worth of cashews, after he'd opened the jar and eaten from it! No, if you make an item un-sellable, you stole the whole thing.

BB-VA

« Reply #20234 on: March 31, 2013, 02:37:04 PM »
It's possible that the jar could have been sold and the buyer not have known it had been opened until s/he got it home.    I certainly don't check for seals in jars in the store - how many other people do?

ETA - maybe I should start... :-\
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"