News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• August 02, 2015, 09:49:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 6646946 times)

bloo

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #20220 on: March 28, 2013, 04:08:29 PM »
Me:   Well Bob if you want to go back to bed, then go crawl in your tent and go back to bed, just don't come walking out in the woods at 8:00 trying to find you're stand, you're likely to get shot, and I'll field strip you and hang you in a tree if I'm the one that shoots you..... (I didn't really say that last part, I was just thinking it............ )

Hjaye: I would have said this to Bob! But I'm kinda a mouthy broad!

I can see why it's been 20+ years since you've seen him... :)

Tashigi

« Reply #20221 on: March 30, 2013, 10:08:18 PM »
Parking joys...
I headed into town for the farmer's market. I usually park in a little lot a block away where the aisles are very narrow one-way affairs and lot itself is bordered on two sides by numerous businesses.

When I'm heading down one aisle, I see that one car is parked on the left side of the aisle and not in a space, enough that it can be passed, but making it near impossible to park in an available spot on the right. The owner clearly had made a run into the dry cleaner's. I managed to inch into the available spot and gave an arched eyebrow to the car's owner as he heads out with his drycleaning.

What boggles me is that there was a space available right in front of the dry cleaner. The owner didn't have to park right in the aisle at all.

Pen^2

« Reply #20222 on: March 30, 2013, 10:57:05 PM »
Bob:   Look, I'm the type of guy that just calls it as I see it, I don't pull any punches, so when I see something is stupid, I'll tell you it's stupid, and getting up this early is stupid!
I like it when people say things like this. "I'm the kind of person who says whatever comes into my head without caring about how other people feel about it." Especially when they say it as though it's something they should be proud of: "I have the social skills of a two-year-old so there!" It's good to be able to write them off mentally as a borderline sociopath so I know not to waste time on them anymore. Otherwise it can take years to find out that they're not worth it.

My own story: I enjoy finding out things about ordinary days to make them interesting, e.g. famous historical events that happened on that day. Sometimes I have to go to Wikipedia or Google to find things out, but other times they're famous enough to not have to bother.

I was at work, where nearly everyone is lovely except one particular person, whom I shall call Flakey. It turned out that it was Flakey's birthday, and as we were all talking casually over lunch, I commented that it was cool to be born on the Ides of March.
Flakey: The what of March?
Me: The Ides of March. You know, "beware the Ides of March" and Julius Caesar and all that.
Flakey: What on earth are you on about?
Me: It's the date when Julius Caesar was assassinated, in 44BCE. It was also in a Shakespeare play where he got warned of it by these fortune-telling witches, but he didn't take the advice. It's a pretty cool date to be born on--very important historically.
Flakey: How dare you!
Me:  :o ?
Flakey: It's my birthday, so I know all about it, not you. This is the worst birthday ever! You don't have to go and make me look stupid! You're stupid!
And off Flakey goes, while the rest of us sit stunned for a few minutes before just going on to talk about witches. I thought it was more well-known, and that people were generally interested in cool facts about their birthdays, but apparently I'm not allowed to know more than the birthday snowflake.

Shalamar

« Reply #20223 on: March 31, 2013, 11:50:32 AM »
Kind of off-topic, but I work with folks who've never heard of the Ides of March.   I quoted a Wayne and Shuster sketch on March 15 (Canadian folks may know it - "Don't go, Julie, don't go!   It's the Ides of March; BEWARE already!"), and boy, did I get some weird looks.

Adelaide

« Reply #20224 on: March 31, 2013, 12:55:54 PM »
There's a girl at my law school who is a apparently a genius but is very, very eccentric and not particularly adjusted to social interaction. (She started crying during her oral argument last semester.) I'm working on a group assignment with her and she has been late every time in sending her portion of the project to me. I've found out that in addition to being eccentric, she has an excuse for everything. She didn't send me her project because she overslept. Or she had to go to church. Or she didn't have the e-mail address. Any time you apply any pressure, she freaks out and starts over-apologizing. Thirteen apologies don't make things better. I gave her a deadline of 4 p.m. today (which has been changed from 4 p.m. Thursday, to 4 p.m. Friday, etc.) and she tripped all over herself saying that she could have it to me by 3 p.m. today. Again, that doesn't do me much good. She's been SS this whole project. When the group was struggling to come up with a time to meet and we settled on 12 p.m. last Friday, she said she couldn't be there. I knew she didn't have class so I said "Wait, you really can't be there?" and she started laughing nervously and said "Well, I could be there, I just don't want to." After setting the meeting for that Friday I firmly told her that she had to be there. Of course she missed it and tripped all over herself apologizing.  ::)

BB-VA

« Reply #20225 on: March 31, 2013, 01:19:04 PM »
Special snowflake or cheapskate?

http://dailycaller.com/2013/03/28/dale-peterson-explains-bizarre-arrest-for-eating-peanuts/

Either way, it's over the top, imo.   :o
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

Jocelyn

« Reply #20226 on: March 31, 2013, 01:24:46 PM »
I loved how he said it was only over '22 cents worth' of cashews. As if he thought someone else was going to buy the remaining $12.78 worth of cashews, after he'd opened the jar and eaten from it! No, if you make an item un-sellable, you stole the whole thing.

BB-VA

« Reply #20227 on: March 31, 2013, 01:37:04 PM »
It's possible that the jar could have been sold and the buyer not have known it had been opened until s/he got it home.    I certainly don't check for seals in jars in the store - how many other people do?

ETA - maybe I should start... :-\
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20228 on: March 31, 2013, 01:48:08 PM »
Yep.  They nailed a guy here some years back for grand theft and malicious destruction of property because store cameras caught him poking holes in the wrappings of baked goods.  He tried the same trick "It's only a little package of donuts!  It's only 75 cents!"  "It only affects a couple slices of bread!  Only 10 cents!"

But he'd been doing it for YEARS and getting away with it with the same excuse when he got caught.   It wasn't until a new manager sat down and added things up that they realized that he'd destroyed over $5000 worth of baked goods. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20229 on: March 31, 2013, 01:48:29 PM »

http://dailycaller.com/2013/03/28/dale-peterson-explains-bizarre-arrest-for-eating-peanuts/

The article begins by referring to the jar as being cashews.  Then somewhere along the line those cashews magically convert themselves into peanuts!  That's some metamorphosis!

Seems like there's lots of memory loss going on there.   ???

Jocelyn

« Reply #20230 on: March 31, 2013, 01:53:26 PM »

The article begins by referring to the jar as being cashews.  Then somewhere along the line those cashews magically convert themselves into peanuts!  That's some metamorphosis!

Seems like there's lots of memory loss going on there.   ???
I shudder to imagine how big a $13 jar of PEANUTS would be.  ::)

Reika

« Reply #20231 on: March 31, 2013, 02:01:05 PM »
Having been caught once with an item that had been opened before I purchased it and didn't realize it until I got home, I do check everything before buying it.

And I'm afraid I was rolling my eyes while reading the article.

Carotte

« Reply #20232 on: March 31, 2013, 02:15:52 PM »
Light threadjack - question but, what are the 750$ for? Yearly club membership ? (he says his monthly account was due but I can't believe someone would pay  9000$ to shop for less, 750$ already seems so much to me!).

mmswm

« Reply #20233 on: March 31, 2013, 02:40:21 PM »
I assumed it was a store credit card.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #20234 on: March 31, 2013, 03:39:52 PM »
Kind of off-topic, but I work with folks who've never heard of the Ides of March.   I quoted a Wayne and Shuster sketch on March 15 (Canadian folks may know it - "Don't go, Julie, don't go!   It's the Ides of March; BEWARE already!"), and boy, did I get some weird looks.

I'm Australian and I remember at play when I was in school. I played Calpurnia and said that line