Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 4379875 times)

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #20250 on: March 31, 2013, 09:19:16 PM »
Special snowflake or cheapskate?

http://dailycaller.com/2013/03/28/dale-peterson-explains-bizarre-arrest-for-eating-peanuts/

Either way, it's over the top, imo.   :o

Having lived in Alabama for decades I can tell you he's considered both by many and to be getting odder by most residents.  At east in my region of the state.

His behavior reminds me of my grandmother when she was in the early stages of dementia. That's the only reason why I didn't have an instant "self-entitled jerk" reaction.

While I read his justification and think it makes some sense, what occurs to me is... suppose you want to eat a handful of peanuts/cashews and don't want to pay for the container.  What would you do?  Probably get a bottle, take a handful, and put it in your cart.  Then continue shopping for long enough that anybody who saw you eat that handful isn't around, doesn't remember, etc.  Then you head back to where you got it and put it back.  Which is exactly what he did.  I think it was intentional, and he just had a good excuse if he got caught... that he forgot he took a handful.  And yeah, the focus on the 22 cents is ridiculous, because it's ruining an entire jar of the nuts.

Pen^2

« Reply #20251 on: March 31, 2013, 09:43:57 PM »
Ooh, I had a good one just recently. There was an awesome exhibition at a nearby museum. It had loads of old Greek and Roman stuff, and was really well put together. DH and I spent about six hours there, I think. It was lots of fun.

After we'd been there a while, we noticed one particular young man (he looked about 20) following us rather closely. DH and I would stop at a coin display or something and read everything and talk about the coins to each other. This strange man would also stop and pretend to look at the coins, until we moved on. Then his friends would catch up and he would replay everything DH and I said (we have an interest in these kinds of things, so we know a lot of weird trivia) to them, going on about, "oh, if you knew as much about these things as someone like me..."

His friends would ooh and aah, and then he'd stalk us to whatever display we were currently at and repeat the whole thing. It was very bizarre. We both decided quietly that we'd ignore it, since he probably wouldn't last too long--we take ages as we enjoy ourselves and like to take everything in, and most people would get bored if they tried to take as long.

At one point, there was a set of ancient records in Latin, over two thousand years old. DH is competent at ancient Greek, and I at Latin, so we normally translate for each other. This particular piece was nice and easy, and of course our shadow listened to everything. We move on as his friends catch up, and all of a sudden he comes storming over to us.

"How dare you! You guys are idiots!"

It turns out, he had forgotten what the translation was, so he'd made something up (he'd been making a lot of things up while showing off), but one of his friends knew enough school Latin to call him out on it. And so we are the bad guys because he can't remember a translation he eavesdropped on. Shame on us for upsetting the special little snowflake. The security guard shushed him, and he left shortly afterwards, proclaiming the exhibit to be boring and inaccurate (I'm not sure how authentic artifacts are inaccurate, but there you are). We giggled for quite a while.

bloo

« Reply #20252 on: March 31, 2013, 10:05:49 PM »
Ooh, I had a good one just recently. There was an awesome exhibition at a nearby museum. It had loads of old Greek and Roman stuff, and was really well put together. DH and I spent about six hours there, I think. It was lots of fun.

snip

It turns out, he had forgotten what the translation was, so he'd made something up (he'd been making a lot of things up while showing off), but one of his friends knew enough school Latin to call him out on it. And so we are the bad guys because he can't remember a translation he eavesdropped on. Shame on us for upsetting the special little snowflake. The security guard shushed him, and he left shortly afterwards, proclaiming the exhibit to be boring and inaccurate (I'm not sure how authentic artifacts are inaccurate, but there you are). We giggled for quite a while.

:o   ;D

I would have giggled about that too! Better than getting mad!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20253 on: March 31, 2013, 10:27:30 PM »
What museum is this?  My oldest has been fascinated with Greek and Roman history as he's learned about both in Social Studies and has been reading the Percy Jackson series.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

NyaChan

« Reply #20254 on: March 31, 2013, 11:18:28 PM »

After we'd been there a while, we noticed one particular young man (he looked about 20) following us rather closely. DH and I would stop at a coin display or something and read everything and talk about the coins to each other. This strange man would also stop and pretend to look at the coins, until we moved on. Then his friends would catch up and he would replay everything DH and I said (we have an interest in these kinds of things, so we know a lot of weird trivia) to them, going on about, "oh, if you knew as much about these things as someone like me..."

His friends would ooh and aah, and then he'd stalk us to whatever display we were currently at and repeat the whole thing. It was very bizarre. We both decided quietly that we'd ignore it, since he probably wouldn't last too long--we take ages as we enjoy ourselves and like to take everything in, and most people would get bored if they tried to take as long.

At one point, there was a set of ancient records in Latin, over two thousand years old. DH is competent at ancient Greek, and I at Latin, so we normally translate for each other. This particular piece was nice and easy, and of course our shadow listened to everything. We move on as his friends catch up, and all of a sudden he comes storming over to us.

LOL This is an awesome story  ;D  Reminds me of Joey going the wrong way through the museum haha

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #20255 on: March 31, 2013, 11:57:17 PM »
The other day I found myself at the store without my pen. I had made my list with it and thought I'd put it in my purse and didn't realize till we got there that I'd forgotten.  Well since I write down how much each item costs so we don't go over our budgeted amount, I needed a pen and got a pack from the stationary aisle and opened it, putting the package in my cart.  The kids were shocked but I explained it was okay so long as you pay for it.   

Which I did.  I needed new pens anyway.  I don't like eating in the store though so don't eat anything I've bought until it's paid for.

I found out the hard way that's not always ok.  I drank some of a Bolthouse Farms C-Booster drink while I was shopping.  When I tried to go through the self checkout I found that the belt went over a scale.  So I did scan the bottle, but because it weighed less than it was supposed to, I had to get someone over to override the scale.  Of course I did this when it was the busiest time of the day to shop so there was a huge line behind me.  I've definitely learned my lesson
My Photography Gallery
http://www.ctartisticphotos.com/

Pen^2

« Reply #20256 on: April 01, 2013, 01:10:09 AM »
What museum is this?  My oldest has been fascinated with Greek and Roman history as he's learned about both in Social Studies and has been reading the Percy Jackson series.
Probably not close to you... It was the Alexander the Great exhibition at Sydney Museum, Australia. The fantastic range of items ("over 400" from "2500 years of history") were borrowed/lent from The State Hermitage in Russia. It really was good, though, and anyone with the slightest bit of interest would have had a great time. Your son sounds like he would have loved it.

And now that you mention it, I recall my own interest in these things started from a book of myths about Greek Gods from Social Studies back at school. Not too dissimilar!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20257 on: April 01, 2013, 08:33:10 AM »
Ah okay, we're not in Australia so it's not near us, but it sounds fascinating!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Shalamar

« Reply #20258 on: April 01, 2013, 11:51:48 AM »
I'm Australian and I remember at play when I was in school. I played Calpurnia and said that line.

That's awesome!  :D

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #20259 on: April 01, 2013, 12:10:16 PM »

If you ever find yourself in Southern California, I highly recommend visiting the Getty Villa. It's a reconstruction of a villa from Pompeii and it's absolutely beautiful. Full of artifacts.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20260 on: April 01, 2013, 12:53:29 PM »
Saw this in my local paper today, under the section where people try and get issues solved, when they haven't gotten anywhere themselves.

BG: Couple says they recently embraced a vegan lifestyle and diet, for health reasons. But said their new dietary choices make it challenging to eat out, so they had taken to bringing their own pasta to restaurants, and asking the chef to cook it for them.  He went on to say a few times since they broght their own, their bill was discounted.  Which he also said they didn't ask for, but was nice of them to do.  He said they've been to 50-60 restaurants in teh past year which have had no problem accomodating their requests, and said "To make it easier for servers and chefs, the _____ took to writing their dietary needs and cooking instructions on cards, which are handed in when they place an order." 

The problem occured when they were out, and were charged full price for pasta entrees, even though they provided their own pasta. He said they had been to the restaurant in question previously, and were only charged $12, but this time were charged $24. They were told it was beacuse the last time it was a different manager.  They went on to dispute the charge with Am Ex, over $12 - the difference he thought they should have been cahrged, and what they actually were.

There are more details here http://www.nj.com/business/index.ssf/2013/04/bamboozled_special_order_leads.html

but aside from the fact I'm surprised that any restaurant would cook something a patron brought in, they seem to be a bit snowflakey to me. If eating out is such a challenge, then perhaps they should start cooking at home.  And to make such a fuss over $12 is a bit over the top, IMHO. Then again, if I had any major dietary restrictions I'd either avoid eating out, or make the best of things, but I would never ask a restaurant to cook something I brought from home!

Shalamar

« Reply #20261 on: April 01, 2013, 01:29:13 PM »
Good grief.  My daughter is a vegan, and she wouldn't dream of asking the restaurant to cook food that she brought from home!

snowdragon

« Reply #20262 on: April 01, 2013, 01:39:33 PM »
I am surprised that they would cook the noodles for him.  I have never been in a place where this was acceptable...even the local coffee shop won't put in a package of splenda brought from outside, citing health laws.   

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20263 on: April 01, 2013, 01:42:55 PM »
I am surprised that they would cook the noodles for him.  I have never been in a place where this was acceptable...even the local coffee shop won't put in a package of splenda brought from outside, citing health laws.

That was my impression too. So either he's lying about having done this in "50 to 60" different restaurants or something else. I suspect he's not being entirely truthful. He strikes me as being a bit entitled.

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #20264 on: April 01, 2013, 01:49:21 PM »
Special snowflake or cheapskate?

http://dailycaller.com/2013/03/28/dale-peterson-explains-bizarre-arrest-for-eating-peanuts/

Either way, it's over the top, imo.   :o

Dale Peterson lost my sympathy when Dale Peterson began referring to Dale Peterson in the third person.