Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5103591 times)

PeterM

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #20265 on: April 01, 2013, 01:56:52 PM »
The problem occured when they were out, and were charged full price for pasta entrees, even though they provided their own pasta. He said they had been to the restaurant in question previously, and were only charged $12, but this time were charged $24. They were told it was beacuse the last time it was a different manager.  They went on to dispute the charge with Am Ex, over $12 - the difference he thought they should have been cahrged, and what they actually were.

Put me down as another one who thinks his story is not entirely true. If nothing else, I have trouble believing any restaurant would cut the price from $24 to $12 in this sort of situation. Unless the normal pasta is made from spun gold there is absolutely no way it accounts for half the cost of the dish. The restaurant would go out of business if that were the case.

CakeBeret

« Reply #20266 on: April 01, 2013, 02:42:53 PM »
Saw this in my local paper today, under the section where people try and get issues solved, when they haven't gotten anywhere themselves.

BG: Couple says they recently embraced a vegan lifestyle and diet, for health reasons. But said their new dietary choices make it challenging to eat out, so they had taken to bringing their own pasta to restaurants, and asking the chef to cook it for them.  He went on to say a few times since they broght their own, their bill was discounted.  Which he also said they didn't ask for, but was nice of them to do.  He said they've been to 50-60 restaurants in teh past year which have had no problem accomodating their requests, and said "To make it easier for servers and chefs, the _____ took to writing their dietary needs and cooking instructions on cards, which are handed in when they place an order." 

The problem occured when they were out, and were charged full price for pasta entrees, even though they provided their own pasta. He said they had been to the restaurant in question previously, and were only charged $12, but this time were charged $24. They were told it was beacuse the last time it was a different manager.  They went on to dispute the charge with Am Ex, over $12 - the difference he thought they should have been cahrged, and what they actually were.

There are more details here http://www.nj.com/business/index.ssf/2013/04/bamboozled_special_order_leads.html

but aside from the fact I'm surprised that any restaurant would cook something a patron brought in, they seem to be a bit snowflakey to me. If eating out is such a challenge, then perhaps they should start cooking at home.  And to make such a fuss over $12 is a bit over the top, IMHO. Then again, if I had any major dietary restrictions I'd either avoid eating out, or make the best of things, but I would never ask a restaurant to cook something I brought from home!

This may actually be the most obnoxious case of over-inflated self worth I've ever heard.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

ClaireC79

« Reply #20267 on: April 01, 2013, 02:47:47 PM »
Finally, one ran off the edge of the road, and the other 2 flew in different directions. Darn, turkeys, you'd think they would have better manners. No, really, they really were turkeys.

They're probably friends with the pheasant I met a while back.

Or the cow who decided the perfect spot to give birth was in the middle of a single track road, wide open grassy spaces either side, but no, she wanted her calf to land on concrete.  DH said he was waiting a good 15-290 minutes for her to give birth and then for the calf to get to his feet and then the pair of them calmly walked off onto the grass

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #20268 on: April 01, 2013, 03:05:06 PM »

Put me down as another one who thinks his story is not entirely true. If nothing else, I have trouble believing any restaurant would cut the price from $24 to $12 in this sort of situation. Unless the normal pasta is made from spun gold there is absolutely no way it accounts for half the cost of the dish. The restaurant would go out of business if that were the case.

I agree. The main cost of a restaurant meal is the labour.

It's sort of like giving your plumber a washer, and expecting that he'll charge you $5 for the trouble of putting it into your faucet.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #20269 on: April 01, 2013, 03:30:46 PM »
Finally, one ran off the edge of the road, and the other 2 flew in different directions. Darn, turkeys, you'd think they would have better manners. No, really, they really were turkeys.

Or this dude, in our old neighborhood.

Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20270 on: April 01, 2013, 03:33:46 PM »

It's sort of like giving your plumber a washer, and expecting that he'll charge you $5 for the trouble of putting it into your faucet.

Yup. in that same vein, I just got new glasses. They were pricy, mostly lenses, but hte frame wasn't cheap either. I know i can get the same frame online for much less, but I would never think to do that, and take it into the eyeglass place and ask them to put lenses in. I know some people might, but to me, I don't mind paying for something to have it done right. I don't even know if they'd do that, but I know I'd never ask.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20271 on: April 01, 2013, 03:34:46 PM »

Maybe he was waiting patiently for someone to come along and "iron" his tail feathers for him with their wheels?  I mean after all, a peacock can't be running around the neighborhood looking sloppy, can he?

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #20272 on: April 01, 2013, 04:15:41 PM »

Yup. in that same vein, I just got new glasses. They were pricy, mostly lenses, but hte frame wasn't cheap either. I know i can get the same frame online for much less, but I would never think to do that, and take it into the eyeglass place and ask them to put lenses in. I know some people might, but to me, I don't mind paying for something to have it done right. I don't even know if they'd do that, but I know I'd never ask.

They do that here, because I've gotten new lenses in my old glasses frames. It isn't a big deal most of the time.

Bringing in frames exactly like theirs and telling them you got it cheaper someplace else would be weird, though.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #20273 on: April 01, 2013, 05:08:58 PM »

Maybe he was waiting patiently for someone to come along and "iron" his tail feathers for him with their wheels?  I mean after all, a peacock can't be running around the neighborhood looking sloppy, can he?

I put this photo on Cheezburger with the caption "And not a single cluck was given that day."
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20274 on: April 01, 2013, 05:46:26 PM »
Saw this in my local paper today, under the section where people try and get issues solved, when they haven't gotten anywhere themselves.

BG: Couple says they recently embraced a vegan lifestyle and diet, for health reasons. But said their new dietary choices make it challenging to eat out, so they had taken to bringing their own pasta to restaurants, and asking the chef to cook it for them.  He went on to say a few times since they broght their own, their bill was discounted.  Which he also said they didn't ask for, but was nice of them to do.  He said they've been to 50-60 restaurants in teh past year which have had no problem accomodating their requests, and said "To make it easier for servers and chefs, the _____ took to writing their dietary needs and cooking instructions on cards, which are handed in when they place an order." 

There are more details here http://www.nj.com/business/index.ssf/2013/04/bamboozled_special_order_leads.html

but aside from the fact I'm surprised that any restaurant would cook something a patron brought in, they seem to be a bit snowflakey to me. If eating out is such a challenge, then perhaps they should start cooking at home.  And to make such a fuss over $12 is a bit over the top, IMHO. Then again, if I had any major dietary restrictions I'd either avoid eating out, or make the best of things, but I would never ask a restaurant to cook something I brought from home!

This may actually be the most obnoxious case of over-inflated self worth I've ever heard.

Agreed.

He goes to a restaurant on a Saturday night, knowing he is going to request a special meal for two of the guests and also takes in a $50 "gift certificate" that he bought from restaurant.com for around $12 and then wants the restaurant to pay $12 for the labor to specially cook, plate, and serve an entree.

After the discount was applied, their check for 6 guests was only $107.

crella

« Reply #20275 on: April 01, 2013, 07:06:47 PM »

I have to ask, where? Why?  I love peacocks, I'd love one wandering around the neighborhood  :D (if you don't want to reveal the 'where' that's Ok!)

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #20276 on: April 01, 2013, 07:16:20 PM »

I put this photo on Cheezburger with the caption "And not a single cluck was given that day."

BAHAHAHA!  I laughed uproariously at that.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

mmswm

« Reply #20277 on: April 01, 2013, 07:17:34 PM »
There's a flock of peacocks that live in the avocado grove that borders my parents' property.  They can get really annoying when they decide to go for a stroll.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

blueyzca01

« Reply #20278 on: April 01, 2013, 07:19:48 PM »
I live near Arcadia, CA, and there are a bunch of peacocks running around.

I did my weekly grocery shopping yesterday morning and drove back home through Arcadia.  As I drove, I came upon a small herd of peacocks strutting down the center of the street.
I lightly honked at the ones directly in front of me; the biggest turned around and stared at me for about 40 seconds, then S-L-O-W-L-Y turned and walked to the sidewalk.

I told DH: "I think I just got schooled by a peacock!"
No one ever says, "Why me?!?!" when something good happens.

misha412

« Reply #20279 on: April 01, 2013, 08:27:03 PM »
Okay...I met some special people today that might qualify as SS. I am not completely sure.

My fiance and I had lunch and dinner both at fast food restaurants today (not ideal, but it is what it is).

Lunchtime found us at a McD's, at noon, on a major road. It was crazy busy. We go inside and there were several people at the counter. Some were waiting to order while others were waiting on their orders. Pretty normal stuff.

Except...

the adults ordering for a large group of 20 children. They were actually prepared and had their orders ready when they got to the counter. The order taking went well considering how much they were ordering.

Then it came time to pay for the food.

Guy #1 took out a card and tried to swipe it. Apparently, the card required a PIN. It was not his card. He did not have the PIN. The lady with him decided to call person who the card belonged to (apparently not with them on the trip) in order to get the PIN. She stands there a few minutes dialing and redialing the phone. Another guy (#2) in their group comes up and asks what is going on. Guy #1 explains. The lady is still dialing. Guy #2 said he would pay for the group and they would settle up later. The lady said, don't worry. Once we get the PIN, it won't be a problem. She had been dialing the card owner several times without an answer so far. After a few more times of redialing, she tried the card holder's wife. She kept saying there was no need for Guy #2 to pay for anything.

In the mean time, the cashier is stuck with a huge order. People are backed up. The other cashier is slammed and no one is getting any happier.

Finally, Guy #1 let Guy #2 pay for the order and get everything going again. The lady started fussing..."I don't know why you paid for it. All we needed to get was the PIN." Ummm....20 kids who were getting hungrier by the minute and the couple dozen people behind you in line getting tired of waiting in line behind you. Also, the cashiers behind the counter trying to do their job at the peak time of their lunch crowd.

Same McD's.

My fiance and I were able to finally get our orders in and went to get our drinks. Now, the way this McD's is setup, the cashier stations are to the right. The food pickup area is to the left. It is about a 3-foot opening where they can place trays and to-go bags. Everyone gets a number when they place their order. The order comes up, gets filled, then someone brings it to the pick-up area and calls out the number.

Anyway, I get back from the drink area and see a man standing in front of the pick-up area. Everyone else was standing back a few feet waiting on their order. Except, Man was not picking up his order. He was waiting right where everyone else needed to walk up to get their orders. So, the person behind the counter would call out the order number. Someone standing back would come forward and reach around Man to get their order. One lady said excuse me to Man because she needed to pick up a heavy tray. He did not budge or even acknowledge her existence. The worker behind the counter finally lifted it up and over the adjacent cash register. The guy remained in said spot until his order arrived.

Dinner at TacoB.

Arrived at very slow time. Hooray!! We go up, place our orders, get our drink cups, and sit down to wait on order. All very quickly, no issues.

Right after we sit down, a teenage couple walk in the door. The girl goes to the counter, the guy towards the bathroom. She places an order. The cashier puts her drink cup on the counter. She takes the cup and goes over to the drink machine...without paying. The cashier tried to stop her, but she said, my boyfriend needs to order and he is paying. Okay...cashier lets her proceed to get her drink. She sits down in the dining area...the boyfriend is still in the bathroom area.

Meantime, two guys walk in and up to the counter. They try to place their order. The cashier apologized and said he cannot take their order right now...he has one in his cash register. He looks at the girl who is happily sipping away on her drink.

Finally, boyfriend comes out of the bathroom. The two guys are not happy to be kept waiting. Boyfriend is peeved that the girl had already ordered. He had expected her to wait to order together. Instead, the cashier is stuck, two other customers are unable to place an order, and the boyfriend is feeling pressured to put in his order. They sit down a few feet away from us and he asked her why she ordered without him since he was paying. Her answer, with a shrug and a grin, "I was thirsty."

Now, the cashier was wrong for letting girl proceed without paying. But, I place the girl in the SS category.