Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5102293 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #20280 on: April 01, 2013, 09:51:44 PM »
Finally, one ran off the edge of the road, and the other 2 flew in different directions. Darn, turkeys, you'd think they would have better manners. No, really, they really were turkeys.

They're probably friends with the pheasant I met a while back.

Or this dude, in our old neighborhood.

I have to ask, where? Why?  I love peacocks, I'd love one wandering around the neighborhood  :D (if you don't want to reveal the 'where' that's Ok!)

If you are ever in the Orlando, FL area, let me know. I will give you the location of dozens of peacocks.

andi

« Reply #20281 on: April 01, 2013, 09:56:14 PM »
What museum is this?  My oldest has been fascinated with Greek and Roman history as he's learned about both in Social Studies and has been reading the Percy Jackson series.
Probably not close to you... It was the Alexander the Great exhibition at Sydney Museum, Australia. The fantastic range of items ("over 400" from "2500 years of history") were borrowed/lent from The State Hermitage in Russia. It really was good, though, and anyone with the slightest bit of interest would have had a great time. Your son sounds like he would have loved it.

And now that you mention it, I recall my own interest in these things started from a book of myths about Greek Gods from Social Studies back at school. Not too dissimilar!

Ohh - what I'd do for a trip there!  Fell in love with Greek/Roman mythology in about 6 th grade.  Still entranced.

Minmom3

« Reply #20282 on: April 01, 2013, 10:53:05 PM »
Saw this in my local paper today, under the section where people try and get issues solved, when they haven't gotten anywhere themselves.

BG: Couple says they recently embraced a vegan lifestyle and diet, for health reasons. But said their new dietary choices make it challenging to eat out, so they had taken to bringing their own pasta to restaurants, and asking the chef to cook it for them.  He went on to say a few times since they broght their own, their bill was discounted.  Which he also said they didn't ask for, but was nice of them to do.  He said they've been to 50-60 restaurants in teh past year which have had no problem accomodating their requests, and said "To make it easier for servers and chefs, the _____ took to writing their dietary needs and cooking instructions on cards, which are handed in when they place an order." 

The problem occured when they were out, and were charged full price for pasta entrees, even though they provided their own pasta. He said they had been to the restaurant in question previously, and were only charged $12, but this time were charged $24. They were told it was beacuse the last time it was a different manager.  They went on to dispute the charge with Am Ex, over $12 - the difference he thought they should have been cahrged, and what they actually were.

There are more details here http://www.nj.com/business/index.ssf/2013/04/bamboozled_special_order_leads.html

but aside from the fact I'm surprised that any restaurant would cook something a patron brought in, they seem to be a bit snowflakey to me. If eating out is such a challenge, then perhaps they should start cooking at home.  And to make such a fuss over $12 is a bit over the top, IMHO. Then again, if I had any major dietary restrictions I'd either avoid eating out, or make the best of things, but I would never ask a restaurant to cook something I brought from home!

That has GOT to be a health code violation.  I KNOW it is here in California...
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

StarFaerie

« Reply #20283 on: April 02, 2013, 12:24:59 AM »

Dinner at TacoB.

Arrived at very slow time. Hooray!! We go up, place our orders, get our drink cups, and sit down to wait on order. All very quickly, no issues.

Right after we sit down, a teenage couple walk in the door. The girl goes to the counter, the guy towards the bathroom. She places an order. The cashier puts her drink cup on the counter. She takes the cup and goes over to the drink machine...without paying. The cashier tried to stop her, but she said, my boyfriend needs to order and he is paying. Okay...cashier lets her proceed to get her drink. She sits down in the dining area...the boyfriend is still in the bathroom area.

Meantime, two guys walk in and up to the counter. They try to place their order. The cashier apologized and said he cannot take their order right now...he has one in his cash register. He looks at the girl who is happily sipping away on her drink.

Finally, boyfriend comes out of the bathroom. The two guys are not happy to be kept waiting. Boyfriend is peeved that the girl had already ordered. He had expected her to wait to order together. Instead, the cashier is stuck, two other customers are unable to place an order, and the boyfriend is feeling pressured to put in his order. They sit down a few feet away from us and he asked her why she ordered without him since he was paying. Her answer, with a shrug and a grin, "I was thirsty."

Now, the cashier was wrong for letting girl proceed without paying. But, I place the girl in the SS category.

Wow, that level of specialness from her leaves me gobsmacked. And so rude to her poor boyfriend too.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #20284 on: April 02, 2013, 01:32:18 AM »
Saw this in my local paper today, under the section where people try and get issues solved, when they haven't gotten anywhere themselves.

BG: Couple says they recently embraced a vegan lifestyle and diet, for health reasons. But said their new dietary choices make it challenging to eat out, so they had taken to bringing their own pasta to restaurants, and asking the chef to cook it for them.  He went on to say a few times since they broght their own, their bill was discounted.  Which he also said they didn't ask for, but was nice of them to do.  He said they've been to 50-60 restaurants in teh past year which have had no problem accomodating their requests, and said "To make it easier for servers and chefs, the _____ took to writing their dietary needs and cooking instructions on cards, which are handed in when they place an order." 

The problem occured when they were out, and were charged full price for pasta entrees, even though they provided their own pasta. He said they had been to the restaurant in question previously, and were only charged $12, but this time were charged $24. They were told it was beacuse the last time it was a different manager.  They went on to dispute the charge with Am Ex, over $12 - the difference he thought they should have been cahrged, and what they actually were.

There are more details here http://www.nj.com/business/index.ssf/2013/04/bamboozled_special_order_leads.html

but aside from the fact I'm surprised that any restaurant would cook something a patron brought in, they seem to be a bit snowflakey to me. If eating out is such a challenge, then perhaps they should start cooking at home.  And to make such a fuss over $12 is a bit over the top, IMHO. Then again, if I had any major dietary restrictions I'd either avoid eating out, or make the best of things, but I would never ask a restaurant to cook something I brought from home!

See, I could see maybe going to a restaurant and explaining your situation and asking for the pasta *sauce* (and any toppings) to be served on a warm plate sans the pasta, so you could add your own allergen-free pasta to your plate while at your table.  And even that I'd expect about a 50% "that won't be possible" rate.  Customer-supplied food and containers should never go back into the kitchen!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20285 on: April 02, 2013, 08:59:12 AM »

Put me down as another one who thinks his story is not entirely true. If nothing else, I have trouble believing any restaurant would cut the price from $24 to $12 in this sort of situation. Unless the normal pasta is made from spun gold there is absolutely no way it accounts for half the cost of the dish. The restaurant would go out of business if that were the case.

I agree. The main cost of a restaurant meal is the labour.

It's sort of like giving your plumber a washer, and expecting that he'll charge you $5 for the trouble of putting it into your faucet.

Yup. in that same vein, I just got new glasses. They were pricy, mostly lenses, but hte frame wasn't cheap either. I know i can get the same frame online for much less, but I would never think to do that, and take it into the eyeglass place and ask them to put lenses in. I know some people might, but to me, I don't mind paying for something to have it done right. I don't even know if they'd do that, but I know I'd never ask.

They do that here, because I've gotten new lenses in my old glasses frames. It isn't a big deal most of the time.

Bringing in frames exactly like theirs and telling them you got it cheaper someplace else would be weird, though.

I've done that as well; just gotten new lenses in my existing frames. But it would be pretty obvious if I showed up with a brand new designer frame, and asked them to put lenses in, to save money.  That I couldnot or wouldn't do.

bloo

« Reply #20286 on: April 02, 2013, 09:39:37 AM »

See, I could see maybe going to a restaurant and explaining your situation and asking for the pasta *sauce* (and any toppings) to be served on a warm plate sans the pasta, so you could add your own allergen-free pasta to your plate while at your table.  And even that I'd expect about a 50% "that won't be possible" rate.  Customer-supplied food and containers should never go back into the kitchen!

I would expect the vegan diners would be charged more (if not a health code violation) to bring their own food as they are creating more work* for the kitchen. They were fortunate to be getting the $12 deal for as long as they did. I think new management was letting them know they no longer wished to accommodate their request and seemed willing to lose them as patrons. With some higher-end restaurants putting their metaphorical feet down on substitutions, I think this restaurant was overly accommodating.

If the couple in question is not near a decent-sized city, I can understand their frustration, but even less-sprawling metropolis' have vegan restaurants and/or menus.

* as others have mentioned - it's the labor not necessarily the food driving prices, especially pasta. We're not talking Kobe steak here.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20287 on: April 02, 2013, 09:54:40 AM »
There are places that will cook food you bring to the restaurant.

There's a place in the neighborhood that introduced the world to the horror that is the deep-fried Twinkie. They've since added the option of deep-fried pizza. Fortunately, there's a hospital two blocks up the hill.   I haven't noticed it lately but, for a while, their menu stated, 'If you bring it in, we'll deep-fry it for you'. 

I can see another problem with the vegans.  Most Italian pasta does not contain egg. Unless these people also have problems with gluten, commercial pasta should be fine for them. 

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20288 on: April 02, 2013, 10:19:49 AM »

If the couple in question is not near a decent-sized city, I can understand their frustration, but even less-sprawling metropolis' have vegan restaurants and/or menus.

* as others have mentioned - it's the labor not necessarily the food driving prices, especially pasta. We're not talking Kobe steak here.

They are; I, and they, live in NJ, very close to NYC. and there are tons of great restaurants in NJ as well, so its not like there's a shortage of good places to eat. I think they are just being SS's, but I also think, as I mentioned upthread, they are not being quite honest as I cannot see the "50-60" restaurants they've been to over the last year accomodating their requeset to cook their own pasta. 

Reika

« Reply #20289 on: April 02, 2013, 12:27:14 PM »
Today at work I encountered The-Microwave-Hog-With-Revolting-Mannersus

Not surprisingly at peak lunch time, the microwaves at my job are a hot commodity for those of us who bring our own lunches in that require some method of reheating. One of the microwaves was in use by a woman who had multiple items to nuke, which wasn't the problem. The problem was that after she nuked her items, she stood in front of the microwave making a huge production assembling her sandwich, not using the microwave at all. Said production involved a great deal of finger licking, lip smacking, groans of "So good!" as she put on each layer.

I politely asked if she could put her meal together somewhere else because she wasn't using the microwave anymore.

She snarls at me, "I'm already here, you're just gonna have to wait, now aren't you?"

The other people waiting for the microwaves, as well as the people using the other ones all gave her this look of  :o

Fortunately, one of the other microwaves became available so I could nuke my soup, but I'm still shaking my head at her response to my question. And yes, I was prepared for no for an answer, but not the way she said it.

bloo

« Reply #20290 on: April 02, 2013, 12:39:41 PM »
Today at work I encountered The-Microwave-Hog-With-Revolting-Mannersus

Not surprisingly at peak lunch time, the microwaves at my job are a hot commodity for those of us who bring our own lunches in that require some method of reheating. One of the microwaves was in use by a woman who had multiple items to nuke, which wasn't the problem. The problem was that after she nuked her items, she stood in front of the microwave making a huge production assembling her sandwich, not using the microwave at all. Said production involved a great deal of finger licking, lip smacking, groans of "So good!" as she put on each layer.

I politely asked if she could put her meal together somewhere else because she wasn't using the microwave anymore.

She snarls at me, "I'm already here, you're just gonna have to wait, now aren't you?"

The other people waiting for the microwaves, as well as the people using the other ones all gave her this look of  :o

Fortunately, one of the other microwaves became available so I could nuke my soup, but I'm still shaking my head at her response to my question. And yes, I was prepared for no for an answer, but not the way she said it.

(bloo rubs her typing fingers together)

Ooh, Reika, this sounds like the perfect time for a passive-aggressive sign. Something that mentions 'hogging the microwave' and 'not licking your fingers while using community property'. Muuwahahahaha...

>:D

Reika

« Reply #20291 on: April 02, 2013, 12:42:19 PM »
(bloo rubs her typing fingers together)

Ooh, Reika, this sounds like the perfect time for a passive-aggressive sign. Something that mentions 'hogging the microwave' and 'not licking your fingers while using community property'. Muuwahahahaha...

>:D

Tempting, but they already ignore the numerous signs saying "No fish or popcorn in the microwave."

One can dream though.  >:D

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20292 on: April 02, 2013, 12:48:16 PM »
Finally, one ran off the edge of the road, and the other 2 flew in different directions. Darn, turkeys, you'd think they would have better manners. No, really, they really were turkeys.

They're probably friends with the pheasant I met a while back.

Or this dude, in our old neighborhood.

I have to ask, where? Why?  I love peacocks, I'd love one wandering around the neighborhood  :D (if you don't want to reveal the 'where' that's Ok!)

I live in Houston.  There are several neighborhoods close to use that have peacocks.

They are nice to look at when you visit, but I am really glad they do not live in our neighborhood. They are messy, they are VERY noisy, and they love to harrass dogs.

About once a year, we'll end of with a couple that decide to take a wander and come to our neighborhood. Twice now they've decided it's fun to sit on top of our garage on the edge and peer down at our beagle who then spends the time howling his head off until we drag him back into the house. And it will sit there for a day before it decides to move onto someplace else.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #20293 on: April 02, 2013, 12:53:03 PM »
Peacocks are a pain. Our old neighborhood is in south Dallas.  There are dozens of them.  Luckily, they tended to live at the end away from us. In seven years, they came TO our house only once. We see them sometimes driving or walking around, but don't have to live with them.

One of our rental properties is right in Peacock Central. They scream "HALP! HALP!" all the time, and the porch is always covered in large, smelly peacock dooks.

Luckily, the tenants think they're cool. The husband (a totally unflappable retired Marine), even took care of the dead peacock we all found in the back yard during the walkthrough.
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

alkira6

« Reply #20294 on: April 02, 2013, 01:16:02 PM »
Peacocks are a pain. Our old neighborhood is in south Dallas.  There are dozens of them.  Luckily, they tended to live at the end away from us. In seven years, they came TO our house only once. We see them sometimes driving or walking around, but don't have to live with them.

One of our rental properties is right in Peacock Central. They scream "HALP! HALP!" all the time, and the porch is always covered in large, smelly peacock dooks.

Luckily, the tenants think they're cool. The husband (a totally unflappable retired Marine), even took care of the dead peacock we all found in the back yard during the walkthrough.

Super soaker water gun. Doesn't hurt the birds, gets them off the road/your yard, and they lern after a couple of times what areas will get them sprayed.  I freely admit to disliking peacocks heartily because of the nails-on-chalkboard scream that they have. makes my ears bleed.