Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5732760 times)

Mediancat

• Shibboleth of Shadowland
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #20310 on: April 03, 2013, 08:08:40 AM »
When it comes to microwaves, the people here at my workplace are very good about getting their food out and out of the way. What they're not good at is cleaning up the microwave when they're done. I don't expect it sparkling, but I don't think it's too much to ask that you clean up the sauces, stains, etc. as best you can. We have a maintenance person, but he goes through the microwaves once per week at the most.

Rob
"In all of mankind's history, there has never been more damage done than by someone who 'thought they were doing the right thing'." -- Lucy, Peanuts

whatsanenigma

« Reply #20311 on: April 03, 2013, 09:05:08 AM »
When it comes to microwaves, the people here at my workplace are very good about getting their food out and out of the way. What they're not good at is cleaning up the microwave when they're done. I don't expect it sparkling, but I don't think it's too much to ask that you clean up the sauces, stains, etc. as best you can. We have a maintenance person, but he goes through the microwaves once per week at the most.

Rob

What makes this even worse is that so much of this problem could be avoided if people would just cover their food while it is cooking.  It wouldn't solve the whole problem, of course-accidents do happen-but the problem would be reduced, but people are such special snowflakes sometimes that they don't take time to cover their food (though they might do this if they were the one who had to clean up any mess!) and just leave whatever happens for the next person to deal with.

rashea

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20312 on: April 03, 2013, 09:36:37 AM »
Peacocks...we used to have a neighbor who kept them.   The would yell in March and that was pretty much it for noise.  They would escape every now and then and come to visit.   That could be pretty much any time of the year.

We had one dog who would get hysterical at them as long as they were on the ground.  Once on the roof or in a tree, however, he  was fine.  We found out that peacocks/peahens fly better than you would think they could.

They also love dry cat food.  At the time, we had some outdoor cats and we had a metal pan in the carport for them.  The carport is beside the bedroom  Early on Saturday mornings, we would hear this horrendous rattling outside the bedroom window which turned out to be a group of peacocks/peahens surrounding the cat pan and scarfing down kittykibble as fast as they could.

(We did find out from another peacock fancier that they use the kittykibble for peacock treats, so we weren't too worried about poisoning them)
I am convinced that they must put heroin or something else addictive in cat food.  EVERY critter seems to love the stuff. When we'd feed the cats every animal would try and get to their feeder. Dogs, peafowl, chickens, geese, possums, bunnies and even ponies were caught at one time or another trying to access the cat food. And yes, everybody else was getting their proper food.

It's really high in protein compared to most animal foods. And most animals have evolved to want to get more protein in their diets.

The ducks we have love the stuff and we use it to convert chicken feed to duck feed.
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #20313 on: April 03, 2013, 10:20:24 AM »
Peacocks...we used to have a neighbor who kept them.   The would yell in March and that was pretty much it for noise.  They would escape every now and then and come to visit.   That could be pretty much any time of the year.

We had one dog who would get hysterical at them as long as they were on the ground.  Once on the roof or in a tree, however, he  was fine.  We found out that peacocks/peahens fly better than you would think they could.

They also love dry cat food.  At the time, we had some outdoor cats and we had a metal pan in the carport for them.  The carport is beside the bedroom  Early on Saturday mornings, we would hear this horrendous rattling outside the bedroom window which turned out to be a group of peacocks/peahens surrounding the cat pan and scarfing down kittykibble as fast as they could.

(We did find out from another peacock fancier that they use the kittykibble for peacock treats, so we weren't too worried about poisoning them)
I am convinced that they must put heroin or something else addictive in cat food.  EVERY critter seems to love the stuff. When we'd feed the cats every animal would try and get to their feeder. Dogs, peafowl, chickens, geese, possums, bunnies and even ponies were caught at one time or another trying to access the cat food. And yes, everybody else was getting their proper food.

It's really high in protein compared to most animal foods. And most animals have evolved to want to get more protein in their diets.

The ducks we have love the stuff and we use it to convert chicken feed to duck feed.

I read once about an Alaskan bush pilot who always carries a bag of cat kibble in his plane. He said if he crashed in the wilderness, it's the perfect lightweight, calorie-dense emergency rations.
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

exitzero

« Reply #20314 on: April 03, 2013, 10:40:31 AM »

For the record, hissing cockroaches love it too!  ;D

Not rats. I bought some as (what I thought would be) a treat for my rats.
They looked at it like, "This for cats. Please bring us something more to our status."

snowdragon

« Reply #20315 on: April 03, 2013, 10:55:06 AM »
What museum is this?  My oldest has been fascinated with Greek and Roman history as he's learned about both in Social Studies and has been reading the Percy Jackson series.

Have  you seen these ? http://www.touregypt.net/museum/ 

http://www.villa-rustica.de/tour/toure.html

I found them while doing course work and thought of your post.

Shalamar

« Reply #20316 on: April 03, 2013, 11:24:22 AM »
Re microwaves:  my peeve is when someone is microwaving a frozen meal and follows the directions to the absolute letter, even when there's a long lineup behind her.  "Microwave three minutes, pause, stir, rotate, microwave two more minutes, let sit for a minute, microwave 30 more seconds."  Really?  We're not talking cordon bleu cuisine here.  Your meal will be just fine if you give it slightly less time.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20317 on: April 03, 2013, 11:26:07 AM »
What museum is this?  My oldest has been fascinated with Greek and Roman history as he's learned about both in Social Studies and has been reading the Percy Jackson series.

Have  you seen these ? http://www.touregypt.net/museum/ 

http://www.villa-rustica.de/tour/toure.html

I found them while doing course work and thought of your post.

Ooh thanks, he'll enjoy those sites, I'm sure! :)

As for cat food, I'm surprised my toddler hasn't even tried it yet.  He's 17 months now and has yet to taste it.  It's partly because the way our gates are set up he can't get into the kitchen unless we let him and when he is in the kitchen he's usually otherwise occupied. 
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 11:27:52 AM by Piratelvr1121 »
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

StuffedGrapeLeaves

« Reply #20318 on: April 03, 2013, 11:28:11 AM »
Re microwaves:  my peeve is when someone is microwaving a frozen meal and follows the directions to the absolute letter, even when there's a long lineup behind her.  "Microwave three minutes, pause, stir, rotate, microwave two more minutes, let sit for a minute, microwave 30 more seconds."  Really?  We're not talking cordon bleu cuisine here.  Your meal will be just fine if you give it slightly less time.

This reminds me of a microwave SS in my office.  She was done heating up her food and stepped away to a side table, then I put mine in the microwave and pressed the number of minutes.  My food was heating up when she went to the microwave, stopped the time, and was about to take the food out before I was able to scrape my jaw off the floor to to ask her what she was doing.  She said that her food wasn't hot enough so she needed more time.  I told her that she needed to wait until my food was done.  She got upset because she was there first.  Well, yes, but she was done!  It was not my fault her food wasn't hot enough and she needed to heat it up more. 

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
« Reply #20319 on: April 03, 2013, 11:35:07 AM »

I'd sooner they followed all the instructions than risk food poisoning or eating a meal that is only partially thawed/cooked. The last three frozen dinners I nuked ended up taking more time than the instructions referred to.

That said, if I'd got something complicated to nuke and the person behind me only had a mug of soup, I'd suggest they go first...

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20320 on: April 03, 2013, 11:42:08 AM »
That's another thing, the instructions for frozen dinners.  Especially on boxes that say "Do not turn over: instructions on the bottom." Er...

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #20321 on: April 03, 2013, 12:08:52 PM »

With my powerful home microwave, I would agree. However, the donated microwave we have at work is not very powerful and takes forever to heat something up.

Shalamar

« Reply #20322 on: April 03, 2013, 01:42:59 PM »
Good point, ladyknight.  Our microwaves at work aren't the best or the newest, true.

We used to have someone at our office who microwaved a certain meal at least once a week, and it smelled HORRIBLE.  The closest I can come to describing it was "ammonia".  I have no idea what it was, but ye gods, it was vile.  I was glad when she left for another job.  :)

LadyDyani

• Freelance Editor
« Reply #20323 on: April 03, 2013, 01:48:16 PM »
Good point, ladyknight.  Our microwaves at work aren't the best or the newest, true.

We used to have someone at our office who microwaved a certain meal at least once a week, and it smelled HORRIBLE.  The closest I can come to describing it was "ammonia".  I have no idea what it was, but ye gods, it was vile.  I was glad when she left for another job.  :)

I've noticed that some people can be really sensitive to inexpensive corn products.  Microwave popcorn or tortillas will smell like ammonia.  We were given some popcorn by a friend, and when we microwaved it I spent half an hour walking around the house trying to figure out where the dog peed.  Some people can smell it, some can't.
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

shipoopie71

« Reply #20324 on: April 03, 2013, 02:09:23 PM »
We only have one microwave at work as well, and some days you could spend half of your lunch hour just waiting to use it.  I got this for Christmas and it is wonderful for leftovers and soups.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Crock-Pot-20-Ounce-Lunch-Crock-Food-Warmer/19699710