Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 4436455 times)

Shalamar

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #20325 on: April 03, 2013, 01:42:59 PM »
Good point, ladyknight.  Our microwaves at work aren't the best or the newest, true.

We used to have someone at our office who microwaved a certain meal at least once a week, and it smelled HORRIBLE.  The closest I can come to describing it was "ammonia".  I have no idea what it was, but ye gods, it was vile.  I was glad when she left for another job.  :)

LadyDyani

• Freelance Editor
« Reply #20326 on: April 03, 2013, 01:48:16 PM »
Good point, ladyknight.  Our microwaves at work aren't the best or the newest, true.

We used to have someone at our office who microwaved a certain meal at least once a week, and it smelled HORRIBLE.  The closest I can come to describing it was "ammonia".  I have no idea what it was, but ye gods, it was vile.  I was glad when she left for another job.  :)

I've noticed that some people can be really sensitive to inexpensive corn products.  Microwave popcorn or tortillas will smell like ammonia.  We were given some popcorn by a friend, and when we microwaved it I spent half an hour walking around the house trying to figure out where the dog peed.  Some people can smell it, some can't.
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

shipoopie71

« Reply #20327 on: April 03, 2013, 02:09:23 PM »
We only have one microwave at work as well, and some days you could spend half of your lunch hour just waiting to use it.  I got this for Christmas and it is wonderful for leftovers and soups.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Crock-Pot-20-Ounce-Lunch-Crock-Food-Warmer/19699710

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20328 on: April 03, 2013, 02:16:36 PM »
Once during a job I got quite addicted to Marie Callender's chicken pot pies and the small ones would still take about 5 minutes to cook so I'd go in early so I wouldn't be taking up the microwave for 5 minutes while people were waiting around but then the smell would permeate the office.  No one complained but I always heard "What is that delicious smell?" Every single day, and it was the same smell, and comment was coming from the same woman.   I told her every time "Chicken pot pie"

Once she asked and didn't even stick around to hear the answer. I couldn't help myself and started singing softly to myself "It's priest...try a little priest..."
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #20329 on: April 03, 2013, 02:32:12 PM »
I am convinced that they must put heroin or something else addictive in cat food.  EVERY critter seems to love the stuff. When we'd feed the cats every animal would try and get to their feeder. Dogs, peafowl, chickens, geese, possums, bunnies and even ponies were caught at one time or another trying to access the cat food. And yes, everybody else was getting their proper food.

From http://www.catinfo.org/:
"One reason that cats like dry food so much is because the pet food companies do not play fair when manufacturing this sub-optimal food source. They coat the kibble with extremely enticing animal digest sprays which are very pleasing to a cat - making a poor quality diet very desirable to the target animal."

Very pleasing to cats and a whole bunch of other critters.

Some friends of mine put a dish of dry food outside their door in the hopes of catching and taming a stray cat. They heard someone eating the dry in the middle of the night and opened the door to see a giant, fat Colorado River toad downing the stuff like there was no tomorrow.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

nuit93

« Reply #20330 on: April 03, 2013, 02:33:25 PM »
Once during a job I got quite addicted to Marie Callender's chicken pot pies and the small ones would still take about 5 minutes to cook so I'd go in early so I wouldn't be taking up the microwave for 5 minutes while people were waiting around but then the smell would permeate the office.  No one complained but I always heard "What is that delicious smell?" Every single day, and it was the same smell, and comment was coming from the same woman.   I told her every time "Chicken pot pie"

Once she asked and didn't even stick around to hear the answer. I couldn't help myself and started singing softly to myself "It's priest...try a little priest..."

*snort*

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #20331 on: April 03, 2013, 02:34:12 PM »
I trend toward the assertive and some of these stories just get my blood boiling!  In the circumstance of the shopping cart, I understand wanted to avoid an altercation, but depending on logistics I would have physically moved her cart out of the way with a smile.  "No thanks, I'll just move this for you."

Which is exactly what I did, minus the smile. I'm a desert dweller. My tolerance for snowflakes is nonexistent.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #20332 on: April 03, 2013, 03:27:00 PM »

Amy's cheese enchiladas have a similar appeal. I have to carry a stick with me to beat off the overenthusiastic co-workers.  :P

Coruscation

« Reply #20333 on: April 03, 2013, 04:09:35 PM »
Peacocks...we used to have a neighbor who kept them.   The would yell in March and that was pretty much it for noise.  They would escape every now and then and come to visit.   That could be pretty much any time of the year.

We had one dog who would get hysterical at them as long as they were on the ground.  Once on the roof or in a tree, however, he  was fine.  We found out that peacocks/peahens fly better than you would think they could.

They also love dry cat food.  At the time, we had some outdoor cats and we had a metal pan in the carport for them.  The carport is beside the bedroom  Early on Saturday mornings, we would hear this horrendous rattling outside the bedroom window which turned out to be a group of peacocks/peahens surrounding the cat pan and scarfing down kittykibble as fast as they could.

(We did find out from another peacock fancier that they use the kittykibble for peacock treats, so we weren't too worried about poisoning them)
I am convinced that they must put heroin or something else addictive in cat food.  EVERY critter seems to love the stuff. When we'd feed the cats every animal would try and get to their feeder. Dogs, peafowl, chickens, geese, possums, bunnies and even ponies were caught at one time or another trying to access the cat food. And yes, everybody else was getting their proper food.

It's really high in protein compared to most animal foods. And most animals have evolved to want to get more protein in their diets.

The ducks we have love the stuff and we use it to convert chicken feed to duck feed.

And then there was the time I ran out of dog food and fed both the cat and dog from the cat food box. The dog raced for the cat food bowl and the cat raced for the dog food bowl. It's tastier that way apparently.

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #20334 on: April 03, 2013, 04:15:59 PM »
I had a special snowflake today - the parkingspothogges

at the rec center there was a mostly empty lot in front of the gym/weight lifting/pool wing - and a mostly packed lot in front of the soccer field wing

A guy in a little convertable parks in the soccer lot, notices that people start to park next to him then change directions - he gets out, discovers he's about 4-5" inches at an angle over the line (the rear of his car was over the line which prevented anyone from using that  parking spot) - then he walks over to the gym wing

if he wanted empty spaces by his car there was plenty of room in the other lot - where he went; but taking 2 spaces in front of the soccer wing - when there aren't that many open spaces ... ::)

I usually can fit my car into a space that someone has deliberately over-flowed into and I often do.  It's worth it to watch them squeeze back into their badly parked car and inch out.

I've done that too. I did it so well at the Y over the summer that two of the staff took pictures and showed them off at a party later that evening.

My cousin thinks this is a reall funny thing to do. She has a beat up small hatchback and will park super close to a "space-hog" then crawl out the back.

Not sure if Cousin is an SS for this, but she loves to do it.

Yarnspinner

« Reply #20335 on: April 03, 2013, 06:44:19 PM »
I had a special snowflake today - the parkingspothogges

at the rec center there was a mostly empty lot in front of the gym/weight lifting/pool wing - and a mostly packed lot in front of the soccer field wing

A guy in a little convertable parks in the soccer lot, notices that people start to park next to him then change directions - he gets out, discovers he's about 4-5" inches at an angle over the line (the rear of his car was over the line which prevented anyone from using that  parking spot) - then he walks over to the gym wing

if he wanted empty spaces by his car there was plenty of room in the other lot - where he went; but taking 2 spaces in front of the soccer wing - when there aren't that many open spaces ... ::)

I usually can fit my car into a space that someone has deliberately over-flowed into and I often do.  It's worth it to watch them squeeze back into their badly parked car and inch out.

I've done that too. I did it so well at the Y over the summer that two of the staff took pictures and showed them off at a party later that evening.

My cousin thinks this is a reall funny thing to do. She has a beat up small hatchback and will park super close to a "space-hog" then crawl out the back.

Not sure if Cousin is an SS for this, but she loves to do it.

While I understand the temptation (and people who insist on parking waaaay over the line to prevent someone from possibly dinging their car, or taking up four --yes four--space for the same reason rankle my last nerve) I have twice been the victim of such a prank and both times it was something that was not under my control.

First time:  I was at a funeral.  I took a spot that was empty on both sides for several spaces.  After the funeral, I discovered that people had parked up tight and close on both sides of my car...and the same people were going to the reception with others.  There was NO WAY for me to get into my car.  Both folks had plenty of room to park, but because there were larger vehicles on either side of THEM  (that weren't there when I parked) they were apparently afraid the bigger cars would ding them...so they penned me in instead.  Nice.  Fortunately, a friend offered to give me a lift to the reception and both spot hoggers were gone when we got back.  But, seriously, who does that?

Second time:  I am parking at the radiologist's office.  It is a big lot, but the medical offices are all open and ready for business by eight a.m.  It is CROWDED.  I finally find a spot next to a BIG car.  I pull in as close to it as I can, but it is over the line, so I am not over the line on the driver's side, but I AM close to it.  When I come back, the people who were  parked on either sides of me are gone...but one new driver (who had plenty of room on the driver's side as there was nothing but the driving path there, plus a lot of space) chose to park so close to me that I couldn't get the door open.  I had to slide in through the passenger side and struggle for twenty minutes because I am not particularly lithe or flexible.

Both times I am sure the drivers congratulated themselves on hemming me in...and both times it was not something I had control over.

So I really don't recommend this game, no matter how chapped your hide is about it.  You might be hemming in someone who was forced to park where they did because of someone else's thoughtlessness.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #20336 on: April 03, 2013, 07:36:59 PM »
Saw a snowflake today! So, my friend and I were on our way out of a store and we of course left the exit door. How this store is set up is it has two doors (both exit and enter) then it has a little area where the buggies are at one end and a few arcade games and a redbox machine are at the other. So we go out the first exit door, and this woman stops right in front of us, basically blocking the entire exit to adjust her purse or something, so since we had to leave a second door to get out, we had to walk and leave through the enter door.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #20337 on: April 03, 2013, 08:11:55 PM »
Parking SS Monday at the doctor's office.

It is a small parking lot for patients - three spaces in front of the building and FIVE along the hedge in front in an upside down L shape.

Mr. I Drive A GIANT Black Pickup (UTE to the Oz crew) took up slots 3&4 along the long side of the L.  Because his big shiny black new pickup is too awesome to allow it to be scratched or dinged by anyone parking too close to it and he can't park on the side of the building (where there are a few more slots - usually used by employees) because then he'd have to walk more than twenty-one or so feet (call it about seven meters for the rest of the world) - or three car widths and a bit because of the way the dead space in the L-bend works (no way to park there as you couldn't get in or out).
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
  • Is it Spring yet?
« Reply #20338 on: April 03, 2013, 08:28:41 PM »

While I understand the temptation (and people who insist on parking waaaay over the line to prevent someone from possibly dinging their car, or taking up four --yes four--space for the same reason rankle my last nerve)
I posted this a couple of years ago what happened to someone who thought their car was so special that it deserved four spaces.

Sorry that you got hemmed in like that, Yarnspinner, but they might not be at fault either.  They may have parked like that in response to someone who left before you got back to your car.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I don't go crazy.  I AM crazy.  I sometimes go normal. 
Please make a note of this for future reference.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

BB-VA

« Reply #20339 on: April 03, 2013, 09:51:45 PM »

If the couple in question is not near a decent-sized city, I can understand their frustration, but even less-sprawling metropolis' have vegan restaurants and/or menus.

* as others have mentioned - it's the labor not necessarily the food driving prices, especially pasta. We're not talking Kobe steak here.

50-60 restaurants in the past year? That's better than a new restaurant every week. They don't just find a restaurant, and patronize it regularly? I mean, that's what I do...I'd have to eat out every day to be able to enjoy my favorites plus finding a new restaurant every week (not that there's anything wrong with that, but if I could afford to eat all my meals out, I'd just hire a caterer to deliver them to my house!)

They probably CAN'T go back to any of them, after that behavior.  I don't think any manager would want them for regulars.
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"