Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5769672 times)

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #20355 on: April 08, 2013, 02:58:28 AM »
I had another driving special snowflake this morning, Mr MLackOfDrivingSkillsIsYourFault.

On my route to work is a mini-roundabout. As you approach the roundabout the road splits into 2 lanes, both VERY clearly marked (road signs plus arrows on the tarmac) The left lane is for turning left ONLY (I'm in the UK, so equivalent to a right turn for you USians) The right lane is for right turns and going straight on.

Approching the roundabout I was in the right lane to go straight on. Mr SS decided to come yup the left lane and then to turn right. He didn't bother to indicate. I sounded my horn to alert him to the fact that I was there and he was about to drive into the side of my car  (given that he was about to turn into me, and I had nowhere to go to get out of his way, that fact that it was my right of way and he was in the wrong lane and cutting me up was the least of my worries)

Cue lots of rude gestures and (I surmise, my windows were closed) shouting! Presumably I should have levitated my car to get out of his way. Or maybe I should have magically divined that he was planning to pull across, and should have waited til he had done it...!

What makes it worse is that the left turn is into a car park, so it would have been really easy to turn in the car park. Or if he had stopped and indicated right someone would probably have let him in.

I'm not familiar with the bolded term - is that a reference to the United States?

It's a shorter way to say Americans.

Not to mention that in some languages "Americans" covers everybody from the Americas - or at the very least everybody from North America. So it seems more precise and is quicker to type than "People from the US".

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Gyburc

« Reply #20356 on: April 08, 2013, 07:11:08 AM »
I also encountered a flurry of SSs on the roads recently...

I was driving down a fairly narrow two-lane country road with a speed-limit of 50 mph. The road winds rather a lot, so I tend to drive fairly slowly (up to 45 in the straight bits, down to 40 where visibility is bad). This was obviously annoying the driver behind me who was tailgating me (SS no. 1).

I came round a bend, fairly slowly, because there was a side-turning just past it on my side of the road. As I came round the corner, I saw a SUV coming the other way, quite fast, and a woman on my side of the road walking in the road towards me. There was a wide grassy verge, but she was walking in the road-way (SS no. 2). Unfortunately, the SUV and I were going to pass each other exactly at the point where the woman was walking. Eeeek.

So I braked as much as I could, given the tailgater behind me, then moved out as far into the road as I could without running into the SUV, and managed to get past the woman in the road. She moved all of 6 inches over towards the verge, stopped in her tracks, and swore a blue streak at me as I passed her.  ::)

When you look into the photocopier, the photocopier also looks into you

NyaChan

« Reply #20357 on: April 08, 2013, 08:17:24 AM »
I am nominating one of my professors. 

She has us writing our paper piecemeal.  Write the Introduction: get it aproved. Write the transition sentences that are to go between paragraphs: get those approved. Write the conclusion: get it approved, then go on write the rest of the papers.

I struggled with this format.  I made the teacher aware ( at her suggestion that we let her know what issues we are having - in each and every piece of correspondence we get from her. ) that I was struggling with this in January.  Easter Sunday she wrote me a note and said I could have written it as a whole had I wanted to- after the bits and pieces were all done.

The assignment due today was to post about our challenges in writing the bits and pieces and I stated what I had told her, that I found it difficult to do it this way but that I had gotten through it with help from the teacher I got through it, but that I had no suggestions for others, other than to go to the teacher if they needed help working around this project. I put up my post late last night.

So, today I get an email about how she expects more professionalism and how she could not believe that I was still stating that writing in this manner was my greatest challenge in this assignment, especially since I had gotten full credit ( 25/25) for the assignment.

She then went on to shut down the student interaction forums and bar students from communicating with each other about the assignments. 

OK, so you ask students what they find challenging and then have a temper tantrum when they answer honestly.   Really?  And then the student is unprofessional?   

I am so not understanding the "logic" here.  But I am calling SS here.

I think you are in a class with someone who learned their teaching style with my HS English teacher.  She did the exact same thing only effectively SHE chose our Topic Sentences & transitions and thesis - we'd just get to fill in the blanks and god help you if you changed a word of what she had chosen.  Every paper's thesis for every student was Because [Insert Character] became [insert more/less] [adjective], he/she was able to achieve more/less happiness.  >:(

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #20358 on: April 08, 2013, 09:32:04 AM »
I had another driving special snowflake this morning, Mr MLackOfDrivingSkillsIsYourFault.

On my route to work is a mini-roundabout. As you approach the roundabout the road splits into 2 lanes, both VERY clearly marked (road signs plus arrows on the tarmac) The left lane is for turning left ONLY (I'm in the UK, so equivalent to a right turn for you USians) The right lane is for right turns and going straight on.

Approching the roundabout I was in the right lane to go straight on. Mr SS decided to come yup the left lane and then to turn right. He didn't bother to indicate. I sounded my horn to alert him to the fact that I was there and he was about to drive into the side of my car  (given that he was about to turn into me, and I had nowhere to go to get out of his way, that fact that it was my right of way and he was in the wrong lane and cutting me up was the least of my worries)

Cue lots of rude gestures and (I surmise, my windows were closed) shouting! Presumably I should have levitated my car to get out of his way. Or maybe I should have magically divined that he was planning to pull across, and should have waited til he had done it...!

What makes it worse is that the left turn is into a car park, so it would have been really easy to turn in the car park. Or if he had stopped and indicated right someone would probably have let him in.

I'm not familiar with the bolded term - is that a reference to the United States?

It's a shorter way to say Americans.

Not to mention that in some languages "Americans" covers everybody from the Americas - or at the very least everybody from North America. So it seems more precise and is quicker to type than "People from the US".

Except I've never heard an American refer to Americans that way.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20359 on: April 08, 2013, 09:42:58 AM »
Guy on one of those zippy little motorcycles on my way to work this morning. He was VERY lucky I had had my coffee and therefore was able to react. He zoomed up at full speed between two lanes of traffic, and shot over in front of me, causing me to slam on my brakes. Had I not been as quick, he would have gone "splat" on the road. I then saw him up ahead, in the lane next to me, weaving to and fro, but in his lane. 

Shalamar

« Reply #20360 on: April 08, 2013, 09:44:53 AM »
Me neither.  Granted, I am Canadian, but that's a new one on me.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #20361 on: April 08, 2013, 09:55:10 AM »
I may have seen it before, but it's certainly not common. How would one pronounce it? "You ess AYans"? "Uzians"?

In English vernacular, "American" is taken to mean "inhabitant of the United States," even by Canadian and Mexicans.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Hillia

« Reply #20362 on: April 08, 2013, 10:01:58 AM »
It's different and maybe a bit unusual, but I didn't have any trouble understanding what the poster meant by it. It didn't even cause a blip in my reading, actually.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #20363 on: April 08, 2013, 10:02:09 AM »
Lovely almost-accident this morning with SS-Your-Lane-Is-My-Lane.

I'm driving down GA400 - a large, heavily traveled road. Where I join it, it's two lanes in each direction. A few miles down the road, the right lane branches to add a third lane, and the next exit after that adds a fourth full lane to the road. I usually stay in the right lane, so when the lane branches I keep to the right of the branch (meaning I have two lanes to my left, and none to my right for a bit, then a lane to my right at the next exit). Keep in mind, all four lanes continue until the toll plaza, a good 8-10 miles after this point, so there's no need to merge, and no lanes in danger of becoming exit only for a significant distance.

I am driving along, minding my own business, when all of a sudden the car in the lane to my right decides that my lane is where he wants to be, and he's coming through my passenger side to get there! I honk, swerve (thankfully no car to my left) and then start breathing again as he slams on his brakes, jumps into the lane immediately behind me, and then takes off to the far left lane and accelerates to far above the speed limit, nearly causing an accident in the lane to my left first (semis can't stop on a dime, folks!).

It's 8am, folks.... too early for EMS to have to come scrape me off the pavement.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #20364 on: April 08, 2013, 10:24:51 AM »
Margo isn't American.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20365 on: April 08, 2013, 10:35:32 AM »
Are you using the portion control cups too?   :P

Sorry, couldn't resist.  I grew up in a church that used the little cups.  When I was a chaplains' assistant in the Army I had to fill those up.  Worse, I had to wash them all too.

Well, me too! Although I got my Chaplain to buy disposable cups when we had an out break of a flu type illness. :) Then back to washing up!

My church uses little disposable cups.  They are filled by hand (no pump) from the juice bottle before worship every Sunday morning.  When I was a kid, we would snag them after church, my mother would wash them, and we would play church with the cups (filled with our own grapejuice) and saltine crackers.

We do "intinction" which is you dip your bread into the grapejuice...easy peasy sanitary.

AnnaJ

« Reply #20366 on: April 08, 2013, 10:40:14 AM »
Thanks for the info, I'm American and haven't heard that term.  Honestly, it seems dismissive to call a group of people something they don't call themselves.

dawbs

« Reply #20367 on: April 08, 2013, 10:45:27 AM »
Thanks for the info, I'm American and haven't heard that term.  Honestly, it seems dismissive to call a group of people something they don't call themselves.
I've heard and seen plenty of people from the US use the term--I have.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20368 on: April 08, 2013, 10:47:49 AM »

That surprises me.  I have never ever heard it (or even seen it written) until today.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #20369 on: April 08, 2013, 10:49:15 AM »

Then you're literally the first I'm aware of.  Seriously.  And how do you even say it?  "ooh-sians"?  "Ewe-Ess-ians"?  "Uhs-ians"?  Or is it one of those things that only appears in text?  And why do I never see "UKians"?  Or "SAians" for South Africans?  Given that, after all, there's more than just South Africa in south Africa.

It just boggles, is all.