News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• July 03, 2015, 10:27:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 6549065 times)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #20355 on: April 08, 2013, 08:42:58 AM »
Guy on one of those zippy little motorcycles on my way to work this morning. He was VERY lucky I had had my coffee and therefore was able to react. He zoomed up at full speed between two lanes of traffic, and shot over in front of me, causing me to slam on my brakes. Had I not been as quick, he would have gone "splat" on the road. I then saw him up ahead, in the lane next to me, weaving to and fro, but in his lane. 

Shalamar

« Reply #20356 on: April 08, 2013, 08:44:53 AM »
Me neither.  Granted, I am Canadian, but that's a new one on me.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #20357 on: April 08, 2013, 08:55:10 AM »
I may have seen it before, but it's certainly not common. How would one pronounce it? "You ess AYans"? "Uzians"?

In English vernacular, "American" is taken to mean "inhabitant of the United States," even by Canadian and Mexicans.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Hillia

« Reply #20358 on: April 08, 2013, 09:01:58 AM »
It's different and maybe a bit unusual, but I didn't have any trouble understanding what the poster meant by it. It didn't even cause a blip in my reading, actually.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #20359 on: April 08, 2013, 09:02:09 AM »
Lovely almost-accident this morning with SS-Your-Lane-Is-My-Lane.

I'm driving down GA400 - a large, heavily traveled road. Where I join it, it's two lanes in each direction. A few miles down the road, the right lane branches to add a third lane, and the next exit after that adds a fourth full lane to the road. I usually stay in the right lane, so when the lane branches I keep to the right of the branch (meaning I have two lanes to my left, and none to my right for a bit, then a lane to my right at the next exit). Keep in mind, all four lanes continue until the toll plaza, a good 8-10 miles after this point, so there's no need to merge, and no lanes in danger of becoming exit only for a significant distance.

I am driving along, minding my own business, when all of a sudden the car in the lane to my right decides that my lane is where he wants to be, and he's coming through my passenger side to get there! I honk, swerve (thankfully no car to my left) and then start breathing again as he slams on his brakes, jumps into the lane immediately behind me, and then takes off to the far left lane and accelerates to far above the speed limit, nearly causing an accident in the lane to my left first (semis can't stop on a dime, folks!).

It's 8am, folks.... too early for EMS to have to come scrape me off the pavement.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #20360 on: April 08, 2013, 09:24:51 AM »
Margo isn't American.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20361 on: April 08, 2013, 09:35:32 AM »
Are you using the portion control cups too?   :P

Sorry, couldn't resist.  I grew up in a church that used the little cups.  When I was a chaplains' assistant in the Army I had to fill those up.  Worse, I had to wash them all too.

Well, me too! Although I got my Chaplain to buy disposable cups when we had an out break of a flu type illness. :) Then back to washing up!

My church uses little disposable cups.  They are filled by hand (no pump) from the juice bottle before worship every Sunday morning.  When I was a kid, we would snag them after church, my mother would wash them, and we would play church with the cups (filled with our own grapejuice) and saltine crackers.

We do "intinction" which is you dip your bread into the grapejuice...easy peasy sanitary.

AnnaJ

« Reply #20362 on: April 08, 2013, 09:40:14 AM »
Thanks for the info, I'm American and haven't heard that term.  Honestly, it seems dismissive to call a group of people something they don't call themselves.

dawbs

« Reply #20363 on: April 08, 2013, 09:45:27 AM »
Thanks for the info, I'm American and haven't heard that term.  Honestly, it seems dismissive to call a group of people something they don't call themselves.
I've heard and seen plenty of people from the US use the term--I have.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20364 on: April 08, 2013, 09:47:49 AM »

That surprises me.  I have never ever heard it (or even seen it written) until today.

Diane AKA Traska

• Super Hero!
  • Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #20365 on: April 08, 2013, 09:49:15 AM »

Then you're literally the first I'm aware of.  Seriously.  And how do you even say it?  "ooh-sians"?  "Ewe-Ess-ians"?  "Uhs-ians"?  Or is it one of those things that only appears in text?  And why do I never see "UKians"?  Or "SAians" for South Africans?  Given that, after all, there's more than just South Africa in south Africa.

It just boggles, is all.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #20366 on: April 08, 2013, 09:50:56 AM »

Yeah thats a new one for me.  It hasn't hit widespread usage here in the DC metro area.

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
« Reply #20367 on: April 08, 2013, 09:55:31 AM »

Then you're literally the first I'm aware of.  Seriously.  And how do you even say it?  "ooh-sians"?  "Ewe-Ess-ians"?  "Uhs-ians"?  Or is it one of those things that only appears in text?  And why do I never see "UKians"?  Or "SAians" for South Africans?  Given that, after all, there's more than just South Africa in south Africa.

It just boggles, is all.

I've seen both SAians and UKians before (granted, only seen the latter once or twice), on Twitter, mainly and usually in relationship to either rugby or cricket.

I don't think I've ever come across anyone actually saying any of them, though - my experience is that all three are shorthands for textual mediums where you may have some sort of character limit.

dawbs

« Reply #20368 on: April 08, 2013, 09:59:57 AM »

It just boggles, is all.

U.S.-ians.

Not that hard or boggling.
I'm boggled that it's boggling.

May not have widespread usage, but it's hardly obscure.

laud_shy_girl

« Reply #20369 on: April 08, 2013, 10:01:39 AM »
It's said U S (AS IN US OF A) ian. in the UK I have heard it and it's always said with affection. The reason we don't do UKian is we have a short version of our nationality already. Brit.

I use it with my step mother in law (from the USA) and she has never shown an indication it's inappropriate but then again it's obvious from context it's an affectionate term.

“For too long, we've assumed that there is a single template for human nature, which is why we diagnose most deviations as disorders. But the reality is that there are many different kinds of minds. And that's a very good thing.” - Jonah Lehrer