Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5080714 times)

AnnaJ

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #20385 on: April 08, 2013, 11:41:51 AM »
I did say it was dismissive, largely because it feels strange that people are referring to a group by a name that does seem a little obscure - I know some a few people have said they've heard/seen it but more have said they aren't familiar with it - and that doesn't seem to be used by the people who have been given that name.  I just seems odd, sorry to derail the thread.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #20386 on: April 08, 2013, 11:42:01 AM »
I never said it was dismissive.  I said it was strange.  :)

And while it's true that Nippon isn't actually named Japan, as far as I know no one has yet invented a Japanese word that translates to "Japan", when their word for "Nippon" works just fine.  American is a word in English... it just seems odd to me (and to M, who had never heard the term before 11:03 AM, when I mentioned it...), is all.

I've never heard it before and I've been on the internet a long time.  I don't think it's dismissive but I don't have to like being called that.  I am an American.

And I'm that sub-species of American known as "Texan"......for at three generations on Dad's side of the family before you get to the immigrants and about three or four on Mom's side of the family before you get to people who came to Texas after the War Between The States.....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #20387 on: April 08, 2013, 11:42:08 AM »
I hang out on a travel forum. "USAnian" (not USian) is commonly used. It is not considered offensive at all, just rather jocular. Wikipedia even has USAnian in their dictionary. I don't think I've ever heard it spoken, however.

And, yes, there are people who are offended when "American" is used to mean someone from the United States.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

LadyDyani

• Freelance Editor
« Reply #20388 on: April 08, 2013, 11:48:34 AM »
And, yes, there are people who are offended when "American" is used to mean someone from the United States.

Generally people who are American, but not from the States.  Although I haven't heard many from South America complain. Mostly people from North America. 

I've seen USian on message boards like this, but I haven't heard it spoken.  Doesn't bother me. 
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #20389 on: April 08, 2013, 11:58:15 AM »
Here's the thing, though. I've *never* heard "American" used to refer to anyone *but* someone from the United States.  North American, yes.  South American, certainly.  But never just "American".  Kind of like how Israel is on the continent of Asia, but many people would be real confused if someone from Tel Aviv was referred to as an Asian.

CharlieBraun

« Reply #20390 on: April 08, 2013, 12:04:17 PM »
Thanks for the info, I'm American and haven't heard that term.  Honestly, it seems dismissive to call a group of people something they don't call themselves.
I've heard and seen plenty of people from the US use the term--I have.

Totally new one on me, too - I office in Florida and New York, and spend a lot of time in DC as well, if that matters.
"We ate the pies."

selkiewoman

« Reply #20391 on: April 08, 2013, 12:08:36 PM »
USians isn't a familiar term to me either, but the meaning was immediately apparent.  Probably preferable to 'Yanks'. ;D

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #20392 on: April 08, 2013, 12:13:20 PM »
Here's the thing, though. I've *never* heard "American" used to refer to anyone *but* someone from the United States.  North American, yes.  South American, certainly.  But never just "American".  Kind of like how Israel is on the continent of Asia, but many people would be real confused if someone from Tel Aviv was referred to as an Asian.

This.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Stormtreader

« Reply #20393 on: April 08, 2013, 12:18:39 PM »
Can we move the discussion of "USAians" to its own thread please?

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #20394 on: April 08, 2013, 12:22:24 PM »
The Spanish word for USians is a mouthful: estadounidense" (es-TAH-oh-oo-nih-DENSE-ay).

It literally tranlastes as "United Statesian." 
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20395 on: April 08, 2013, 12:45:37 PM »
I've seen the term "USian" a lot but I've very rarely heard it spoken.  When it was it was pronounced as if you say the letters U-S-E-N.  I agree with others that I don't see it as particularly offensive.

Now, for my SS story of the day, I was at the grocery in the express line buying several items but visibly well below the limit for the lane.  I unloaded my stuff on the belt, and then someone stepped up beside me (the express lane didn't have anything to one side of it so he approached directly from the side) and put a loaf of bread on top of my stuff on the belt.  His excuse when I asked him why he did that was, "I'm in a hurry."  When the cashier put his item aside, he started to grouse until she told him he'd have to wait or leave.

Virg

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20396 on: April 08, 2013, 01:40:16 PM »
USians isn't a familiar term to me either, but the meaning was immediately apparent.  Probably preferable to 'Yanks'. ;D

I've heard the term but it isn't preferable to 'Yanks'. 'USians' carries the connotation of being users.  It says that we use the rest of the world and contribute nothing. That isn't true and I don't like it.  No one here uses that term to describe their country of birth or residence.

LadyDyani

• Freelance Editor
« Reply #20397 on: April 08, 2013, 01:45:23 PM »

I've heard the term but it isn't preferable to 'Yanks'. 'USians' carries the connotation of being users.  It says that we use the rest of the world and contribute nothing. That isn't true and I don't like it.  No one here uses that term to describe their country of birth or residence.

I never read it like Usians, but like You-Ess-ians.  On the other hand, I do dislike "Yanks", but maybe that's because I'm from the northern states and have heard it used in a derogatory way by some from the southern US.

And while I don't say "I'm a USian", I do say "I'm from the US", rather than "I'm an American".
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

Cami

« Reply #20398 on: April 08, 2013, 01:59:58 PM »
Thanks for the info, I'm American and haven't heard that term.  Honestly, it seems dismissive to call a group of people something they don't call themselves.
I've heard and seen plenty of people from the US use the term--I have.

Totally new one on me, too - I office in Florida and New York, and spend a lot of time in DC as well, if that matters.
I've lived all over the country and travel extensively for work and never heard the term USians in my life.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #20399 on: April 08, 2013, 02:06:53 PM »

Wow.  I don't think it has such a dreadful connotation just because it has a couple of the same letters!