Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5045672 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #20415 on: April 08, 2013, 07:33:24 PM »
I was driving back from my Dad's place this morning on a 4 lane highway.  At one point, there is bridge work being done and it goes from 4 lanes to 2 over one bridge.  The speed limit is 70 km/hr.  I slow right down to the speed limit in construction zones.  A pick up was tailgating me right through the construction zone.  Once I came out of the zone, I moved to the right lane and started accelerating up to the speed I would normally drive, according to the speed limit.  Truck remained in the left lane and passed me.  As I came around the corner, still in the right lane, suddenly, the truck was trying to occupy the same space I was in!  Fortunately, I was able to swerve into the on-ramp lane and truck finally realized I was there.  He pulled in behind me and stayed behind me until he exited.  I was never so glad to see someone exit because I was worried if he did pass me, he'd fail to check his blind spot again.  Bacon-fed-knave...
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Minmom3

« Reply #20416 on: April 08, 2013, 11:08:15 PM »
Thanks for the info, I'm American and haven't heard that term.  Honestly, it seems dismissive to call a group of people something they don't call themselves.
I've heard and seen plenty of people from the US use the term--I have.

That surprises me.  I have never ever heard it (or even seen it written) until today.

FWIW, I've only seen it used here on these boards, over the past year or so.  I think it's a useful shorthand for non-Americans to use for us, it doesn't seem pejorative or dismissive, and it distinguishes us from other residents of the New World -  so I'm OK with it.  I can see that for people who live elsewhere than 'here', it can get long winded and confusing to distinguish us from other residents of North or South America.  I'll never use it, and I think it's a bit odd, but, meh?  Doesn't bother me at all.  Better intentions behind it than call us all Effing Americans, right?    ;D
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

Minmom3

« Reply #20417 on: April 08, 2013, 11:13:38 PM »
USians isn't a familiar term to me either, but the meaning was immediately apparent.  Probably preferable to 'Yanks'. ;D

I've heard the term but it isn't preferable to 'Yanks'. 'USians' carries the connotation of being users.  It says that we use the rest of the world and contribute nothing. That isn't true and I don't like it.  No one here uses that term to describe their country of birth or residence.

Why?  Are you reading it as Useians and that's why it offends you?  Because that's not at all how I read it! (Not saying my way is better, just REALLY different than that)  I read it as You Ess ians - something of a portmanteau word where you say the initials and then tack a real suffix on it.  As completely short hand to avoid typing out United States ians, which, being lazy in typing myself, I completely understand and do, when emailing back and forth with my bestie.
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #20418 on: April 09, 2013, 01:40:49 AM »
This is a really interesting, fun thread. I would hate for it to get shut down over USians. Can we move on?
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #20419 on: April 09, 2013, 02:38:59 AM »
Yes, please. At the least, move it elsewhere.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #20420 on: April 09, 2013, 02:51:27 AM »
Yes, please. At the least, move it elsewhere.

A new thread has been created for that particular spin-off: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=126550.0

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Talamarie

• Oh boy! It's ME
« Reply #20421 on: April 09, 2013, 09:47:20 AM »
I made it to the end!

I was at TJ Maxx on Sunday picking up a casserole dish and a pyrex measuring cup I happened to need and randomly stumble across, and walking up to the register I was called to when a woman walked in the front door, past the girl waiting at the return line and stepped in front of me.  :o

The cashier told her "Ma'am, there's only one line, and I'm getting ready to help this lady, you'll need to go wait in the line so that I can help the people here first." Then SS argued with her that it was only a minute. Cashier held her ground and sent SS to the main line (where the girl who had been waiting walked over to- it was one of those one place to line up for regular purchases, one for returns, but only ONE cashier was open lay outs).

SS decided to walk the opposite way of the line, so rather than ending up behind the girl who had been waiting, she walked up in front of her. She then tried to argue with the cashier again that she was there FIRST.  :o

Apparently the cashier has a titanium spine though, because she told her that she was going to be helping the girl who was waiting, THEN it'd be her turn, and told me (out of ear shot) that she does this act MULTIPLE times a week because "It's JUST ONE MINUTE, why should I WAIT?".

The mind, it boggles.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #20422 on: April 09, 2013, 12:34:42 PM »
I have mentioned before that I volunteer at a museum. I primarily do programs for schools. Most schools prefer to have the students study the subject during the year, then do our program in the spring, after they've learned about the subject. Consequently, May is the most popular month for our programs and they book up rapidly. We warn schools to book the program before Christmas to be sure they can get the program they wan ton the day they want.

Most schools make arrangements themselves, but some use "educational travel companies." These companies will put together a whole tour. Some tours involve visiting several sites related to a subject (for example, a state capitol, a battlefield, and a history museum.) Others combine education with leisure activities, such as an amusement park. Some, unfortunately, are really pleasure tours, with something educational thrown in to justify the school's calling it a "field trip."

The other day, the person who does the booking was laughing about SS teachers who are calling now for programs next month and insist that "You will give us Program X on Day  Y and nothing else is acceptable.  Just make it happen." When they finally understand that it won't happen, they announce "Fine, we'll go to [other site] instead!" as if that will make us accommodate them. Guess what. The other sites are as popular as we are. The teacher often calls back and sheepishly says "we'll take any program on any day. Please, please, please."

That's not the my contribution to this thread however. This is (a few identifying things changed):

MP = Museum Person
SS = You know who

SS: I'm a teacher at [school]. I want Program X on Day Y
MP: [spiel about why it's already fully booked. ]
SS: But I called first! I should get it.
MP: How do you know you called first? You have no idea when Other School called.
SS: Well, I called 6 months ago, during that Festival thing.
[During Annual Festival, museum staff work 12 hour days at a full run. All calls go to voice mail to be dealt with later. (There are provisions for emergency calls)]
MP: I don't recall getting a message from you that week.
SS: I didn't want to leave a message. but I still called first!
MP: [silence while jaw drops]

Now, SS comes clean. He really represents an educational tour company.

SS: I was planning on going to Scary Rides R Us, but the headmaster is insisting on your program instead.
[MP and SS work out a compromise program]

A few days later:
SS: I'm canceling. We are going to Scary Rides instead.

A few days later:
Headmaster (HM): I'm calling about Program X...
MP: SS called and cancelled. He said you are going to Scary Rides instead.
HM: [silence while jaw drops]
HM: No. We are not going to Scary Rides. Can we still do Program X?
[arrangements are made]
HM: Send your invoice to SS.

MP: Hello, SS? I just talked to the Headmaster who says there is no way the students are going to Scary Rides. I need a mailing address to invoice you for Program X.
SS:  [silence while jaw drops]

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #20423 on: April 09, 2013, 01:56:58 PM »
I have mentioned before that I volunteer at a museum. I primarily do programs for schools. Most schools prefer to have the students study the subject during the year, then do our program in the spring, after they've learned about the subject. Consequently, May is the most popular month for our programs and they book up rapidly. We warn schools to book the program before Christmas to be sure they can get the program they wan ton the day they want.

Most schools make arrangements themselves, but some use "educational travel companies." These companies will put together a whole tour. Some tours involve visiting several sites related to a subject (for example, a state capitol, a battlefield, and a history museum.) Others combine education with leisure activities, such as an amusement park. Some, unfortunately, are really pleasure tours, with something educational thrown in to justify the school's calling it a "field trip."

The other day, the person who does the booking was laughing about SS teachers who are calling now for programs next month and insist that "You will give us Program X on Day  Y and nothing else is acceptable.  Just make it happen." When they finally understand that it won't happen, they announce "Fine, we'll go to [other site] instead!" as if that will make us accommodate them. Guess what. The other sites are as popular as we are. The teacher often calls back and sheepishly says "we'll take any program on any day. Please, please, please."

That's not the my contribution to this thread however. This is (a few identifying things changed):

MP = Museum Person
SS = You know who

SS: I'm a teacher at [school]. I want Program X on Day Y
MP: [spiel about why it's already fully booked. ]
SS: But I called first! I should get it.
MP: How do you know you called first? You have no idea when Other School called.
SS: Well, I called 6 months ago, during that Festival thing.
[During Annual Festival, museum staff work 12 hour days at a full run. All calls go to voice mail to be dealt with later. (There are provisions for emergency calls)]
MP: I don't recall getting a message from you that week.
SS: I didn't want to leave a message. but I still called first!
MP: [silence while jaw drops]

Now, SS comes clean. He really represents an educational tour company.

SS: I was planning on going to Scary Rides R Us, but the headmaster is insisting on your program instead.
[MP and SS work out a compromise program]

A few days later:
SS: I'm canceling. We are going to Scary Rides instead.

A few days later:
Headmaster (HM): I'm calling about Program X...
MP: SS called and cancelled. He said you are going to Scary Rides instead.
HM: [silence while jaw drops]
HM: No. We are not going to Scary Rides. Can we still do Program X?
[arrangements are made]
HM: Send your invoice to SS.

MP: Hello, SS? I just talked to the Headmaster who says there is no way the students are going to Scary Rides. I need a mailing address to invoice you for Program X.
SS:  [silence while jaw drops]

Hehe  >:D

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #20424 on: April 09, 2013, 04:09:09 PM »
If Headmaster is traveling in the same bus as the SS, someone is going to have a lot scarier ride than they would like!! ;D
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Poppea

« Reply #20425 on: April 09, 2013, 05:47:06 PM »
I'm not sure who was the SS here, my neighbour or me ...

This is going back a few years when we were having a very cold day where I live, and the battery in my car was being temperamental.   My car refused to start one morning, and I didn't know what to do.  I saw that my neighbour was getting ready to leave for work, so I went up to him.  (Sidenote:  we'd never met or spoken to each other up to that point.) 

I said "Excuse me - do you have jumper cables?"  He looked startled and said "... Yes."  "Would you mind giving me a boost?  My car won't start."

His response:  "No, because then I'll be late for work."

Now - I realize that he didn't know me (although he saw me walking across the back lane, so he knew I lived close by).  I also realize that I was asking him to do a favour for a stranger, and that doing said favour would have taken a few minutes.  But it would only have been five minutes, tops - probably not even that. 

Because he refused to help me, I had to call the auto club where I live, and the upshot was that I was late for work - about three hours late.
The only way either of you was, was if you were upset with him. Some people have workplaces where being 5 minutes late isn't an issue. Some people need to be there on time.

Yeah, this.  I've worked places where being five minutes late could be a firing offense--yes, even the first time.

I have to say, there would be a lot of mornings where I'd be sitting in the parking lot reading for 15 minutes, thanks to schedule padding.

Not everyone know how to use jumper cables and some people are afraid of them.  I think its odd that you would think he might be a SS by refusing to do a favor for a stranger.  You would only be a SS if you thought he was in some way obligated to help you.

Miss March

« Reply #20426 on: April 09, 2013, 05:59:20 PM »
I once worked at a business with a large public parking lot, and we were often approached by people asking if we could jump start their cars. One time an employee went out to a help a woman and when some mistake happened with the jumper cables (I think he forgot to set one of them to 'ground' on her car frame) and her car engine was damaged, and she later returned to the company demanding we pay her bill for the damage. Needless to say, for liability reasons, we are no longer allowed to lay a finger on anyone's car- it's just policy.
How lucky I am to have something that makes saying good bye so hard.-- Winnie the Poo

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #20427 on: April 09, 2013, 06:05:36 PM »
I'm not sure who was the SS here, my neighbour or me ...

This is going back a few years when we were having a very cold day where I live, and the battery in my car was being temperamental.   My car refused to start one morning, and I didn't know what to do.  I saw that my neighbour was getting ready to leave for work, so I went up to him.  (Sidenote:  we'd never met or spoken to each other up to that point.) 

I said "Excuse me - do you have jumper cables?"  He looked startled and said "... Yes."  "Would you mind giving me a boost?  My car won't start."

His response:  "No, because then I'll be late for work."

Now - I realize that he didn't know me (although he saw me walking across the back lane, so he knew I lived close by).  I also realize that I was asking him to do a favour for a stranger, and that doing said favour would have taken a few minutes.  But it would only have been five minutes, tops - probably not even that. 

Because he refused to help me, I had to call the auto club where I live, and the upshot was that I was late for work - about three hours late.
The only way either of you was, was if you were upset with him. Some people have workplaces where being 5 minutes late isn't an issue. Some people need to be there on time.

Yeah, this.  I've worked places where being five minutes late could be a firing offense--yes, even the first time.

I have to say, there would be a lot of mornings where I'd be sitting in the parking lot reading for 15 minutes, thanks to schedule padding.

Not everyone know how to use jumper cables and some people are afraid of them.  I think its odd that you would think he might be a SS by refusing to do a favor for a stranger.  You would only be a SS if you thought he was in some way obligated to help you.

I meant that if I could be fired for a first offense of five minutes late, I would pad my schedule so heavily they'd threaten to fire me for loitering in the parking lot.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #20428 on: April 09, 2013, 06:14:49 PM »
USians isn't a familiar term to me either, but the meaning was immediately apparent.  Probably preferable to 'Yanks'. ;D
A good portion of the US population do not consider themselves to be Yankees. I know people who would be flat out insulted and take great offense.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #20429 on: April 09, 2013, 06:24:04 PM »
Please! Lets not start that again! Call yourselves cumquats for all I care.