News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• May 28, 2015, 04:50:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 6424643 times)

nutraxfornerves

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #20415 on: April 09, 2013, 12:34:42 PM »
I have mentioned before that I volunteer at a museum. I primarily do programs for schools. Most schools prefer to have the students study the subject during the year, then do our program in the spring, after they've learned about the subject. Consequently, May is the most popular month for our programs and they book up rapidly. We warn schools to book the program before Christmas to be sure they can get the program they wan ton the day they want.

Most schools make arrangements themselves, but some use "educational travel companies." These companies will put together a whole tour. Some tours involve visiting several sites related to a subject (for example, a state capitol, a battlefield, and a history museum.) Others combine education with leisure activities, such as an amusement park. Some, unfortunately, are really pleasure tours, with something educational thrown in to justify the school's calling it a "field trip."

The other day, the person who does the booking was laughing about SS teachers who are calling now for programs next month and insist that "You will give us Program X on Day  Y and nothing else is acceptable.  Just make it happen." When they finally understand that it won't happen, they announce "Fine, we'll go to [other site] instead!" as if that will make us accommodate them. Guess what. The other sites are as popular as we are. The teacher often calls back and sheepishly says "we'll take any program on any day. Please, please, please."

That's not the my contribution to this thread however. This is (a few identifying things changed):

MP = Museum Person
SS = You know who

SS: I'm a teacher at [school]. I want Program X on Day Y
MP: [spiel about why it's already fully booked. ]
SS: But I called first! I should get it.
MP: How do you know you called first? You have no idea when Other School called.
SS: Well, I called 6 months ago, during that Festival thing.
[During Annual Festival, museum staff work 12 hour days at a full run. All calls go to voice mail to be dealt with later. (There are provisions for emergency calls)]
MP: I don't recall getting a message from you that week.
SS: I didn't want to leave a message. but I still called first!
MP: [silence while jaw drops]

Now, SS comes clean. He really represents an educational tour company.

SS: I was planning on going to Scary Rides R Us, but the headmaster is insisting on your program instead.
[MP and SS work out a compromise program]

A few days later:
SS: I'm canceling. We are going to Scary Rides instead.

A few days later:
Headmaster (HM): I'm calling about Program X...
MP: SS called and cancelled. He said you are going to Scary Rides instead.
HM: [silence while jaw drops]
HM: No. We are not going to Scary Rides. Can we still do Program X?
[arrangements are made]
HM: Send your invoice to SS.

MP: Hello, SS? I just talked to the Headmaster who says there is no way the students are going to Scary Rides. I need a mailing address to invoice you for Program X.
SS:  [silence while jaw drops]

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #20416 on: April 09, 2013, 01:56:58 PM »
I have mentioned before that I volunteer at a museum. I primarily do programs for schools. Most schools prefer to have the students study the subject during the year, then do our program in the spring, after they've learned about the subject. Consequently, May is the most popular month for our programs and they book up rapidly. We warn schools to book the program before Christmas to be sure they can get the program they wan ton the day they want.

Most schools make arrangements themselves, but some use "educational travel companies." These companies will put together a whole tour. Some tours involve visiting several sites related to a subject (for example, a state capitol, a battlefield, and a history museum.) Others combine education with leisure activities, such as an amusement park. Some, unfortunately, are really pleasure tours, with something educational thrown in to justify the school's calling it a "field trip."

The other day, the person who does the booking was laughing about SS teachers who are calling now for programs next month and insist that "You will give us Program X on Day  Y and nothing else is acceptable.  Just make it happen." When they finally understand that it won't happen, they announce "Fine, we'll go to [other site] instead!" as if that will make us accommodate them. Guess what. The other sites are as popular as we are. The teacher often calls back and sheepishly says "we'll take any program on any day. Please, please, please."

That's not the my contribution to this thread however. This is (a few identifying things changed):

MP = Museum Person
SS = You know who

SS: I'm a teacher at [school]. I want Program X on Day Y
MP: [spiel about why it's already fully booked. ]
SS: But I called first! I should get it.
MP: How do you know you called first? You have no idea when Other School called.
SS: Well, I called 6 months ago, during that Festival thing.
[During Annual Festival, museum staff work 12 hour days at a full run. All calls go to voice mail to be dealt with later. (There are provisions for emergency calls)]
MP: I don't recall getting a message from you that week.
SS: I didn't want to leave a message. but I still called first!
MP: [silence while jaw drops]

Now, SS comes clean. He really represents an educational tour company.

SS: I was planning on going to Scary Rides R Us, but the headmaster is insisting on your program instead.
[MP and SS work out a compromise program]

A few days later:
SS: I'm canceling. We are going to Scary Rides instead.

A few days later:
Headmaster (HM): I'm calling about Program X...
MP: SS called and cancelled. He said you are going to Scary Rides instead.
HM: [silence while jaw drops]
HM: No. We are not going to Scary Rides. Can we still do Program X?
[arrangements are made]
HM: Send your invoice to SS.

MP: Hello, SS? I just talked to the Headmaster who says there is no way the students are going to Scary Rides. I need a mailing address to invoice you for Program X.
SS:  [silence while jaw drops]

Hehe  >:D

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #20417 on: April 09, 2013, 04:09:09 PM »
If Headmaster is traveling in the same bus as the SS, someone is going to have a lot scarier ride than they would like!! ;D
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Poppea

« Reply #20418 on: April 09, 2013, 05:47:06 PM »
I'm not sure who was the SS here, my neighbour or me ...

This is going back a few years when we were having a very cold day where I live, and the battery in my car was being temperamental.   My car refused to start one morning, and I didn't know what to do.  I saw that my neighbour was getting ready to leave for work, so I went up to him.  (Sidenote:  we'd never met or spoken to each other up to that point.) 

I said "Excuse me - do you have jumper cables?"  He looked startled and said "... Yes."  "Would you mind giving me a boost?  My car won't start."

His response:  "No, because then I'll be late for work."

Now - I realize that he didn't know me (although he saw me walking across the back lane, so he knew I lived close by).  I also realize that I was asking him to do a favour for a stranger, and that doing said favour would have taken a few minutes.  But it would only have been five minutes, tops - probably not even that. 

Because he refused to help me, I had to call the auto club where I live, and the upshot was that I was late for work - about three hours late.
The only way either of you was, was if you were upset with him. Some people have workplaces where being 5 minutes late isn't an issue. Some people need to be there on time.

Yeah, this.  I've worked places where being five minutes late could be a firing offense--yes, even the first time.

I have to say, there would be a lot of mornings where I'd be sitting in the parking lot reading for 15 minutes, thanks to schedule padding.

Not everyone know how to use jumper cables and some people are afraid of them.  I think its odd that you would think he might be a SS by refusing to do a favor for a stranger.  You would only be a SS if you thought he was in some way obligated to help you.

Miss March

« Reply #20419 on: April 09, 2013, 05:59:20 PM »
I once worked at a business with a large public parking lot, and we were often approached by people asking if we could jump start their cars. One time an employee went out to a help a woman and when some mistake happened with the jumper cables (I think he forgot to set one of them to 'ground' on her car frame) and her car engine was damaged, and she later returned to the company demanding we pay her bill for the damage. Needless to say, for liability reasons, we are no longer allowed to lay a finger on anyone's car- it's just policy.
I assume you heard the way she spoke to me at dinner.
Of course, but how does it help to answer rudeness with rudeness?             --Downton Abbey

Diane AKA Traska

• Super Hero!
  • Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #20420 on: April 09, 2013, 06:05:36 PM »

This is going back a few years when we were having a very cold day where I live, and the battery in my car was being temperamental.   My car refused to start one morning, and I didn't know what to do.  I saw that my neighbour was getting ready to leave for work, so I went up to him.  (Sidenote:  we'd never met or spoken to each other up to that point.) 

I said "Excuse me - do you have jumper cables?"  He looked startled and said "... Yes."  "Would you mind giving me a boost?  My car won't start."

Now - I realize that he didn't know me (although he saw me walking across the back lane, so he knew I lived close by).  I also realize that I was asking him to do a favour for a stranger, and that doing said favour would have taken a few minutes.  But it would only have been five minutes, tops - probably not even that. 

Because he refused to help me, I had to call the auto club where I live, and the upshot was that I was late for work - about three hours late.
The only way either of you was, was if you were upset with him. Some people have workplaces where being 5 minutes late isn't an issue. Some people need to be there on time.

Yeah, this.  I've worked places where being five minutes late could be a firing offense--yes, even the first time.

I have to say, there would be a lot of mornings where I'd be sitting in the parking lot reading for 15 minutes, thanks to schedule padding.

Not everyone know how to use jumper cables and some people are afraid of them.  I think its odd that you would think he might be a SS by refusing to do a favor for a stranger.  You would only be a SS if you thought he was in some way obligated to help you.

I meant that if I could be fired for a first offense of five minutes late, I would pad my schedule so heavily they'd threaten to fire me for loitering in the parking lot.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #20421 on: April 09, 2013, 06:14:49 PM »
USians isn't a familiar term to me either, but the meaning was immediately apparent.  Probably preferable to 'Yanks'. ;D
A good portion of the US population do not consider themselves to be Yankees. I know people who would be flat out insulted and take great offense.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #20422 on: April 09, 2013, 06:24:04 PM »
Please! Lets not start that again! Call yourselves cumquats for all I care.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #20423 on: April 09, 2013, 06:25:06 PM »
I'm sure that DS's teacher thought I was a SS today.

DS missed most of last week as he was being treated for whooping cough and what we thought was pink eye. But the preschool program is separate from the school, so I'm  not even sure that his teacher got the message I tried to leave with attendance. With 3 sick kids, I didn't put a lot of extra effort into hunting down the preschool teacher individually.

Today he went back to class, and the aide told me that DS wasn't feeling well, he's been coughing a lot and I might want to have his eye looked at. I had written a note this morning explaining that he's finished his treatment but that the cough will persist for a while, and that the eye goop isn't actually pink eye. So while he looks terrible, he's not contagious at all. Except DS left his backpack, with the note, in DH's car this morning.

So it looked to the teacher like I sent a very sick boy to school to get everyone else sick  :(

My mom had similar problems I would get an Asthma Cough that went on for months after a cold/flu or other lung infection was over. I also would get "allergy pink eye" Same symptoms but cause by ligustriums that marked the boarder of our school. Dad offered to come trim them before they bloomed (ugly blooms lots of bees lots of people allergic) but the district said no. Our neighbor loved the fact Dad trimmed the blooms off they made a mess of neighbor's car. He used Mom and I being allergic as an excuse to trim their blooms off also.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Shalamar

« Reply #20424 on: April 09, 2013, 08:38:39 PM »
Nah, I didn't think he was obligated to help me ... I was a bit perplexed by the "I'll be late for work" reason, considering that I ended up missing half a day myself because he wouldn't spend five minutes boosting my car.   You're probably right about him not being able to risk being even five minutes late, though.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20425 on: April 09, 2013, 11:42:47 PM »
Shalamar wrote:

"I was a bit perplexed by the "I'll be late for work" reason, considering that I ended up missing half a day myself because he wouldn't spend five minutes boosting my car."

I don't follow this logic at all.  Why does your missing half a day make his comment perplexing?  More to the point, you say that he had no obligation but you're assigning blame.  The reason you missed half a day of work is because your battery went south, not because of anything he did or didn't do.  He wasn't rude for refusing to help you, and wouldn't have been rude if he'd said "I don't want to help" or even gave no reason.

Virg

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #20426 on: April 10, 2013, 12:16:25 AM »
For those unwilling to wait for the auto club, most taxis will come and give a boost. It's not free, but it's quicker.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #20427 on: April 10, 2013, 12:32:35 AM »

I think you were--because your approach was very abrupt

And I think you still sort of are, because you sound as though you *still* think he should have been late to work in order to help you. As though your "three hours late" was his fault.

I said "Excuse me - do you have jumper cables?"  He looked startled and said "... Yes." 
of course hel ooked startled--you started in the middle of the conversation. And--you did the non-etiquette-approved thing of eliminating his polite excuse--sort of like saying, "what are you doing Friday?" and now the person can't say "I have plans."

"Would you mind giving me a boost?  My car won't start."

This guy is a great example for all of us. He went straight to the "no."

I think you're being VERY optimistic. It would have taken twice that, probably. He has to pull the car over by yours, open the hood, attach the cables, start the car, check to be sure it work....

bloo

« Reply #20428 on: April 10, 2013, 01:17:02 AM »
Shalamar, I do lean towards Toots reply to your posts on the subject ^^^

I've sympathy for you because I was in a similar sitch. Similar in that my battery died and I discovered that when I had to leave for work!

I approached my neighbor that was outside, but 1) I knew him, we'd already introduced ourselves and 2) it was odd hours so he wasn't on his way to work and 3) I would have perfectly understood a 'no'.

Nah, I didn't think he was obligated to help me ... I was a bit perplexed by the "I'll be late for work" reason, considering that I ended up missing half a day myself because he wouldn't spend five minutes boosting my car.    You're probably right about him not being able to risk being even five minutes late, though.

Like Virg said, you were late because your battery was dead, not because he wouldn't boost your car. Not your fault that your battery was dead, nor was it his fault that he wasn't able to accommodate helping you.

As a side note, this makes for a good argument to get to know your (general 'your') neighbors in a friendly way if possible. He wasn't willing to help you (as some neighbor he didn't know) but he might have been willing to be a few minutes late to work for a friend. Six months ago a woman ran out of gas in front of my house. I was on my way to an appointment, but weighed the lateness against helping her and decided to help, mostly because she was my friend and not a stranger (though I like to think I would have helped a stranger but who knows?).

Ereine

« Reply #20429 on: April 10, 2013, 03:27:45 AM »
The laundry room in my apartment building has a reservation system that generally works fine. There are three blocks that can be reserved, from 7 to 12, 12 to 4 and 4 to 9. I reserved the earliest time for today, I have to do two loads (I haven't had a chance to laundry for a while and I'm running out of clothes) and so I knew that if I start at 10 I have time to do them both (there's no rule that says that you have to start at the earliest time). Except someone thought that I wasn't going to show up at all and the washing machine was running when I got there. He showed up and his excuse was that he thought that I wasn't going to use the time I had reserved and it was the only time he had for laundry. Too bad it's also the only time I have for laundry, the only difference is that I was prepared for it and reserved the time. The reservation list shows my name and apartment number, so if he was that desperate he could have asked me.