Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5517103 times)

Ereine

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #20445 on: April 10, 2013, 03:20:55 PM »
The system can be sometimes annoying, especially as sometimes the best time slots can get reserved pretty early but mostly it works fine (and I think that most people who live here have their own washing machines). I think that the time slot is so long (usually when I've encountered the system it's only for one hour) because they assume that people will use the drying room (a room with a machine that blows hot air) and that can take hours. You can only reserve two time slots a day but other than that there aren't any rules. I might report the man but I have no idea who he is, today was the first time I saw him.

LazyDaisy

« Reply #20446 on: April 10, 2013, 04:13:56 PM »
gramma dishes wrote:

"Maybe they should break the 'schedule' down into smaller increments.  I can kind of see why if there's a five hour stretch, someone might assume that if they find the washer empty,  the person scheduled to use it plans to use it "later"."

For someone who needs to do a family's worth of laundry, five hours isn't all that long so breaking it up would just mean that big families would need to reserve multiple slots.  Also, since the sign-up sheet lists the schedule by name and apartment, it's on the queue jumper to go ask if the machines are free, not just assume.

Virg
That actually sounds like a good thing though. As long as it's allowed, and there are several consecutive slots, why not? This way the laundry room can accommodate 5 people with 1 hour time slots or 1 person with a 5 hour slot, or mix them up. This would also allow for the 5 hour person to start at say 11:00 am instead of having to begin at 7:00. I agree that in this instance, however, the jumper should have asked and I would make a complaint about him to the super/manager. They can give him a warning and if he has a habit of this ban him from using the facilities if he can't follow the rules.

Devil's advocate:  Needing to do five hours worth of laundry and only being able to do in one hour increments at various times over three days would be extremely frustrating.  I'm betting the choice slots would go first, and the users may not be able to get consecutive spots.
Advocate on the other side: needing to do 1 hour worth of laundry and having to wait a minimum of 5 hours, or worse, 10 or more if the first 2 slots were taken, would be just as frustrating, especially if the room were reserved but empty for 4 of the 5 hours. Since there are no perfect solutions, I guess I'm a greatest good for the greatest number kind of person.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

EMuir

« Reply #20447 on: April 10, 2013, 04:29:41 PM »
My mechanic family member told me to never offer to boost anyone because if I'm not comfortable doing it, if they screw up the terminals, it will fry my battery.  Which is why I have auto club for myself too.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20448 on: April 10, 2013, 08:45:31 PM »

Advocate on the other side: needing to do 1 hour worth of laundry and having to wait a minimum of 5 hours, or worse, 10 or more if the first 2 slots were taken, would be just as frustrating, especially if the room were reserved but empty for 4 of the 5 hours. Since there are no perfect solutions, I guess I'm a greatest good for the greatest number kind of person.

I didn't say anything about 1 hour slots.  I said maybe they could break it down into increments shorter than five hour slots.
In the apartment building we lived in when we were first married, there were two washer/dryer sets.  There was a schedule that began at 8:00am and ended at 8:00pm.  You filled your name next to the time slot you wanted. So if you needed the equipment for five straight hours it was possible to do that.  Hardly anyone in our building needed that much time and there were several in our building with young babies and or toddlers.  (You could use both washers and both dryers at the same time, so doing loads by twos.)

A family could fill in their name for as many consecutive time slots as they'd need, but many people wouldn't need five straight hours.   If you had five whole hours and your laundry actually took 1-1/2 hours, then for 3-1/2 hours the equipment would be just sitting idle unnecessarily and would prevent anyone else from using them at a convenient time.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 08:47:04 PM by gramma dishes »

LazyDaisy

« Reply #20449 on: April 10, 2013, 10:03:24 PM »

I didn't say anything about 1 hour slots.  I said maybe they could break it down into increments shorter than five hour slots.
In the apartment building we lived in when we were first married, there were two washer/dryer sets.  There was a schedule that began at 8:00am and ended at 8:00pm.  You filled your name next to the time slot you wanted. So if you needed the equipment for five straight hours it was possible to do that.  Hardly anyone in our building needed that much time and there were several in our building with young babies and or toddlers.  (You could use both washers and both dryers at the same time, so doing loads by twos.)

A family could fill in their name for as many consecutive time slots as they'd need, but many people wouldn't need five straight hours.   If you had five whole hours and your laundry actually took 1-1/2 hours, then for 3-1/2 hours the equipment would be just sitting idle unnecessarily and would prevent anyone else from using them at a convenient time.

You seem to have trimmed the quote tree. I was responding to LadyDyani who was responding to my response to Virg. I was never responding to or accusing you of anything.

Edited to add, that if you look up to my response to Virg, you have just reiterated what I responded to Virg -- time slots in smaller increments, the ability to sign up for as many or few as needed and therefore less idle time and more flexibility. I'm not sure why you are upset?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 10:10:30 PM by LazyDaisy »
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Fliss

• Australia - the land that time forgot.
« Reply #20450 on: April 10, 2013, 11:14:29 PM »
My mechanic family member told me to never offer to boost anyone because if I'm not comfortable doing it, if they screw up the terminals, it will fry my battery.  Which is why I have auto club for myself too.

I consider this a rather pathetic excuse to get out of helping someone. Red to red, black to black. Mark cables with polarity (engraved will do) and just put them on the right battery terminals. Really, it's not THAT hard, people! And I don't believe someone can't spare 2 minutes to help a fellow Human who's stranded.

Any boss who gives you grief for being a little late, should be fixed with a "look" and the comment "So, helping my neighbour with a jump-start so they could get to work is . . . bad, is it?"

As for an 'Auto Club', I'm happy you're able to afford it. We can't. So, the few times I've needed a boost, I've been dependant on others helping me -- just as I help those who need it. Generosity of spirit is part of being Human.
Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Hillia

« Reply #20451 on: April 10, 2013, 11:25:39 PM »

I consider this a rather pathetic excuse to get out of helping someone. Red to red, black to black. Mark cables with polarity (engraved will do) and just put them on the right battery terminals. Really, it's not THAT hard, people! And I don't believe someone can't spare 2 minutes to help a fellow Human who's stranded.

Any boss who gives you grief for being a little late, should be fixed with a "look" and the comment "So, helping my neighbour with a jump-start so they could get to work is . . . bad, is it?"

As for an 'Auto Club', I'm happy you're able to afford it. We can't. So, the few times I've needed a boost, I've been dependant on others helping me -- just as I help those who need it. Generosity of spirit is part of being Human.

Sorry to disappoint you, but not everyone is a shade tree mechanic.  i am not comfortable jump starting a car, even going by the pictures in the manual.  I don't do it often enough to remember is it live black to dead black, dead red to live red?  And I'm not a roadside assistance service, so I don't feel obligated to engrave my jumper cables  so I can remember how to handle someone else's inconvenience.

And I'm thrilled beyond belief that you've had bosses who would respond positively to a 'look' and a 'Really, boss?'  Just about every place I've worked that would have earned me a serious black mark, if not a write up for insubordination (on top of the lateness).  Just as it's not really my problem to spend 10-15 minutes (not 2) jumpstarting a stranger's car, the consequences of my Good Samaritan impulses are not my emplpoyer's problem either.

I'm sorry you can't affort auto service or alternate transportation if your car breaks.  But these things happen, and if your car is that unreliable it would be your responsibility to have alternate plans made, not my responsibility to bail you out on demand.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Ereine

« Reply #20452 on: April 11, 2013, 12:17:32 AM »
gramma dishes wrote:

"Maybe they should break the 'schedule' down into smaller increments.  I can kind of see why if there's a five hour stretch, someone might assume that if they find the washer empty,  the person scheduled to use it plans to use it "later"."

For someone who needs to do a family's worth of laundry, five hours isn't all that long so breaking it up would just mean that big families would need to reserve multiple slots.  Also, since the sign-up sheet lists the schedule by name and apartment, it's on the queue jumper to go ask if the machines are free, not just assume.

Virg
That actually sounds like a good thing though. As long as it's allowed, and there are several consecutive slots, why not? This way the laundry room can accommodate 5 people with 1 hour time slots or 1 person with a 5 hour slot, or mix them up. This would also allow for the 5 hour person to start at say 11:00 am instead of having to begin at 7:00. I agree that in this instance, however, the jumper should have asked and I would make a complaint about him to the super/manager. They can give him a warning and if he has a habit of this ban him from using the facilities if he can't follow the rules.

Devil's advocate:  Needing to do five hours worth of laundry and only being able to do in one hour increments at various times over three days would be extremely frustrating.  I'm betting the choice slots would go first, and the users may not be able to get consecutive spots.

It's not a perfect system (I can still remember the week when someone washed probably every piece of fabric they owned, they had reserved slots every day) but a better solution would be to complain to the management. I doubt that many people wait for five hours or more as there are always lists for at least two weeks you can just reserve whatever time slot you want, though obviously that takes some planning.

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #20453 on: April 11, 2013, 03:41:02 AM »

I'm not sure acting self-righteous is the best way to get a point across,  is it?

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #20454 on: April 11, 2013, 04:40:09 AM »

Sorry to disappoint you, but not everyone is a shade tree mechanic.  i am not comfortable jump starting a car, even going by the pictures in the manual.  I don't do it often enough to remember is it live black to dead black, dead red to live red?  And I'm not a roadside assistance service, so I don't feel obligated to engrave my jumper cables  so I can remember how to handle someone else's inconvenience.

And I'm thrilled beyond belief that you've had bosses who would respond positively to a 'look' and a 'Really, boss?'  Just about every place I've worked that would have earned me a serious black mark, if not a write up for insubordination (on top of the lateness).  Just as it's not really my problem to spend 10-15 minutes (not 2) jumpstarting a stranger's car, the consequences of my Good Samaritan impulses are not my emplpoyer's problem either.

I'm sorry you can't affort auto service or alternate transportation if your car breaks.  But these things happen, and if your car is that unreliable it would be your responsibility to have alternate plans made, not my responsibility to bail you out on demand.

Not to mention that even if it just takes 2 minutes (and 10-15 minutes is more realistic) those 2 minutes might still be enough to make you late for a bus or a train that would make you even more late.

I take a train and a bus to work, if I miss the train by 2 minutes, I miss my bus - and the next one doesn't come for another 40 minutes. If I missthat one, I either don't go to work at all that day, or I have to take a cab from the station as it's the last one that runs my way.

So a delay of 2 minutes in one end doesn't necessarily mean that the person will only be late by 2 minutes.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

geekette

« Reply #20455 on: April 11, 2013, 04:54:45 AM »

Not to mention that even if it just takes 2 minutes (and 10-15 minutes is more realistic) those 2 minutes might still be enough to make you late for a bus or a train that would make you even more late.

I take a train and a bus to work, if I miss the train by 2 minutes, I miss my bus - and the next one doesn't come for another 40 minutes. If I missthat one, I either don't go to work at all that day, or I have to take a cab from the station as it's the last one that runs my way.

So a delay of 2 minutes in one end doesn't necessarily mean that the person will only be late by 2 minutes.

You beat me to it, MariaE.
Additionally, there really are some jobs that you can't be late in for. Ambulance workers and firefighters are my first thought, but it can be the case even in fields you'd think would be more flexible. I know someone who works in computer forensics; he goes with the federal police to raids on persons of interest, to obtain data on-scene. That's important for legalities, to make sure nothing is missed, and especially to save data if the person in question tries to start a hard-drive rewrite when the raid starts.  He absolutely could not be even 10 minutes late for the meetup for a raid; there's lots they need to organize and they've broken up into smaller teams, so you can't delay the start.

My friend is also authorized to act as one of the two personnel required when transporting those obtained computers back for further investigation. If he's traveled to a different city, they will fly back - and they can't let the computer out of their sight, so they book an extra ticket for the computer and put it in the middle seat of their aisle, between the two of them.  ;D  The last trip, he came back and told me that a SS with a young child kept demanding that they produce the power, keyboard and screen for the computer, so that the child could play computer games during the flight,  ???

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20456 on: April 11, 2013, 08:30:25 AM »

I had a boss who went so far as to make us sign out to go to the bathroom, and sign in when we got back so he could monitor how long we were gone. He also routinely checked the time clock to make sure we were arriving on time to work every day. Fixing him with a "look" and talking to him like that would've resulted in a write-up at the least, and firing at the worst. HR didn't especially care that he was so strict with the employees, especially since he was the CEO/VP.

Perfect Circle

• Birdie in the hand for life's rich demand
« Reply #20457 on: April 11, 2013, 10:11:04 AM »

It takes far longer than two minutes to start someone's car like this.

Giving your boss the "look" and a snotty response is good way to make sure you don't have to worry about being late for work any longer.
There's a secret stigma, reaping wheel.
Diminish, a carnival of sorts.
Chronic town, poster torn, reaping wheel.
Stranger, stranger to these parts.

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20458 on: April 11, 2013, 10:11:55 AM »
I work for a pretty flexible boss, all things considered, but I'm still supposed to be at work at 8:00. Even though my boss might be understanding if I was late because I helped someone jump her car, I do have days where I absolutely, positively, cannot be late. Even people with very flexible schedules have days like that.

Plus, honestly, I'm not going to make myself late for a stranger who isn't in an unsafe situation, nor would I expect anyone to do that for me.

bloo

« Reply #20459 on: April 11, 2013, 10:12:24 AM »

I'm not sure acting self-righteous is the best way to get a point across,  is it?

Agreed.

Also, Fliss, when I get a dead battery there are usually indications that the battery needs to be replaced before it gets to that point. So a little pre-maintenance means that you're not even in that situation - much less expecting someone else to bail you out of it. Every time I've had a dead battery, it's because I've delayed replacing it. I'm more mad at myself then anything!

It takes far longer than two minutes to start someone's car like this.

Giving your boss the "look" and a snotty response is good way to make sure you don't have to worry about being late for work any longer.

Yeah, I have a super great boss and she wouldn't put up with that insubordination.