Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5239130 times)

Lorelei_Evil

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #20505 on: April 11, 2013, 08:24:45 PM »
Use the 1712 Overture by PDQ Bach.   >:D

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #20506 on: April 11, 2013, 09:27:07 PM »
There is a massive Special Snowflake in my town. Apparently, this person thinks it's totally okay to play their bass so loudly that the whole house shakes when they drive past, and they drive down my street at least once a week. If you sit in the front of the house, your chest hurts from the vibrations. I can only surmise that the person wears earplugs and noise - canceling headphones at the same time to keep from going deaf.

Or is already deaf. Deaf folks like them a strong bass-line.

I think I've said this here recently, but what I don't get about people who play their music way too loud is that it's almost never what most people would consider good music. Even allowing for varying tastes, it's generally crap. I don't care for rap, for example, but I've heard people who do like it comment that the idiot blaring rap out of his car isn't even playing good rap. Same goes for rock, pop, any genre you care to name. I don't get it.

I mean, if some nimrod came driving down my street blaring Clapton, or Sinatra, or "Freebird," or whatever, I'd still be annoyed by the volume but at least I'd respect the guy's taste.

I had a next-door neighbor who used to play his salsa/merengue (I don't know enough to use the proper term) so loudly that I couldn't talk to someone else in my kitchen--which was separated from his home by a THICK PRE-WAR PLASTER WALL. You couldn't hear a phone ring through those walls. But I could hear his music SO loudly that I couldn't hear anything else.

I'd go knock on the door and ask him to turn it down. The fourth time, he got really mad and said, "So when can I play my poopadities?"

i said, "First, it's not poopadities. You have the best musical taste in town--I don't know what you're playing, or who is it, but your stuff is GREAT. *Way* better than anything blaring out of the cars going past outside, 6 floors down.
   "But you play it louder than them! I'm not saying don't play it at all, just don't play it so loud. I don't mind being able to hear that you've got it on, especially because it's so good. But I can't even TALK to someone else--I can't hear them if they speak at a normal tone, and I cannot hear someone on the phone at all. Just turn it DOWN, don't turn it OFF."

"Oh," he said. And he did. And I never had any trouble again. I did sometimes hear the music through the wall, but that's OK.  Though I still, to this day, 25 years later, wish I'd knocked on his door the NEXT night with paper and pencil to get the names of those bands.

Fliss

• Australia - the land that time forgot.
« Reply #20507 on: April 11, 2013, 09:47:36 PM »

When I was doing smoke stocktakes every Monday morning between 7 and 9 am, I would crank up the iPod with Phantom or the LOTR soundtracks. Generally loud enough with the windows shaking. Several times the people from the shops next door would poke their heads in and ask what I was playing, but no-one ever asked me to turn it down. I think it made a change from the annoying rock the centre played during the day.

Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #20508 on: April 11, 2013, 09:51:13 PM »
That is what I listen to to study!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20509 on: April 11, 2013, 10:23:55 PM »
For me it's usually the Rolling Stones. :) Or Les Miserables.  Especially "Do You Hear The People Sing?", "One Day More" and "Master of the House."
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #20510 on: April 11, 2013, 10:54:45 PM »
There is a massive Special Snowflake in my town. Apparently, this person thinks it's totally okay to play their bass so loudly that the whole house shakes when they drive past, and they drive down my street at least once a week. If you sit in the front of the house, your chest hurts from the vibrations. I can only surmise that the person wears earplugs and noise - canceling headphones at the same time to keep from going deaf.

On a serious note, they are probably playing it as loud as they are because they have already lost significant amounts of hearing, and are overcompensating for the fact that "music just doesn't have the oomph it used to - what's up with that?"
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #20511 on: April 11, 2013, 11:25:40 PM »
Now I've heard about women lying about their age, but this is too much...

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/movies/ageing-actress-loses-lawsuit-over-revealed-birth-date-20130412-2hpe0.html

By the way she looks, she'd be ale to play someone in their thirties without any problem. But I think with the lawsuit to IMDB she's done more harm than good to her career.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #20512 on: April 11, 2013, 11:32:46 PM »
I doubt it, really. Her picture, in a bikini indicating that her forties have been good to her, has made the news around the world. I suspect this is a case of "no publicity is bad publicity".
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

MissRose

« Reply #20513 on: April 13, 2013, 04:38:53 PM »
Makes me glad that my apartment complex does not have a signup sheet to use the washer and dryer in each building. It is first come first serve.

Most of the time my parents let me doing my weekly washing at their place before I take my mother to the bible study class we both attend at her church.

LazyDaisy wrote:

"Advocate on the other side: needing to do 1 hour worth of laundry and having to wait a minimum of 5 hours, or worse, 10 or more if the first 2 slots were taken, would be just as frustrating, especially if the room were reserved but empty for 4 of the 5 hours. Since there are no perfect solutions, I guess I'm a greatest good for the greatest number kind of person."

This advocacy precludes asking the person who has the slot reserved.  Since the signup sheet shows who has it reserved and they all live in the same place, asking is a reasonable way to get around the situations where someone has the room held but isn't going to use it.

Virg

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #20514 on: April 13, 2013, 07:21:22 PM »
My left hand neighbor.
For 2 weeks they were putting a new expanded porch roof. THey seemed to be doing the work themselves from about 5 pm to sundown. Ok that is something that happens when you live in a neighborhood.

Thursday night - They had finished the roof, poured the concrete porch, so he decided to power wash it at 9:30 PM. For a bonus back door nieghbors weren't home or couldn't be bothered to bring in Popcorn - their dog. Who was howling and the noise from the power washer. So Abby and Andi = My dogs started barking and howling at him. I got them to be quiet but couldn't get back to sleep till he stopped at 11 pm

Friday night - He was using a leaf blower or something like it at 9 pm. Popcorn's owners took him inside. I turned up some music to drowned out the whine.

6:19 saturday - his music on the porch means I can't hear my TV. Excuse me while I check the Harris County Noise laws. Then hopefully call the cops.

Update - called non emergency number I think they sent someone because 15 minutes later the volume was lower.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 10:40:04 PM by kherbert05 »
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #20515 on: April 14, 2013, 10:59:27 AM »
Yappy the wonder mutt is a special snowflake.

My neighbors have a Boston Terrier.  He is not trained well at all.  If he gets out of his yard, he's running all over the neighborhood with their children chasing him getting behind cars backing out of driveways.  If he's in his yard, he's barking.  They let him out in the yard starting at 5:45 am and at hour intervals after that until 11 pm at night.  I spend the day wearing ear plugs because it's easier than being irritated.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20516 on: April 14, 2013, 12:03:05 PM »
This really belongs in the Brain Hurt thread but, since that no longer exists, I'll put it here.

Back in my library days, we had a request.  Someone wanted to write, 'Sorry about the broken leg.  Good luck, King Tut' on a friend's cast.  This was a cute idea but he wanted to write it in Egyptian hieroglyphs and I was supposed to tell him how to do it OVER THE PHONE!   :o  ???

'Okay, let's start.  Quail chick, dish, forearm, vulture, animal skin, face-forward human head, begin cartouche ...'

Because I don't read hieroglyphs,  this was total bushwah on my part but the request was absurd and I was feeling a bit frisky that day. 

At that point he decided that this was a bit more than he bargained for and hung up.

Sometimes, you can nail the SS people.   

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #20517 on: April 14, 2013, 12:06:41 PM »
One of my friends is getting married soon and wanted to do an out of town bachelorette party but is trying to make it as cheap as possible since most of our group are graduate students.

One of the non-student people going (SS) frequently brags about her very very large trust fund thanks to being an heiress of the founder of a Fortune 500 company. She has never had to work, paid cash for a custom home in a very expensive area, and spends her days going on adventures.

SS is upset that we're "cheaping out" on a bachelorette party that's not even for her. We agreed to drive rather than fly, so SS stated that she refused to put wear and tear on her new SUV and won't chip in for gas because "we're grown ups now." SS wanted us to get a fancy hotel suite, instead we found an apartment via Air B&B  that costs a tenth of the cost of the hotel. Since we've got the apartment we planned on cooking all the bride's favorite foods and only going out for dinner once. SS will not chip in for groceries since she wants to go out to eat and doesn't want to eat our substandard cooking.

StarDrifter

• I never tell people exactly how smart I am
« Reply #20518 on: April 14, 2013, 12:08:54 PM »
One of my friends is getting married soon and wanted to do an out of town bachelorette party but is trying to make it as cheap as possible since most of our group are graduate students.

One of the non-student people going (SS) frequently brags about her very very large trust fund thanks to being an heiress of the founder of a Fortune 500 company. She has never had to work, paid cash for a custom home in a very expensive area, and spends her days going on adventures.

SS is upset that we're "cheaping out" on a bachelorette party that's not even for her. We agreed to drive rather than fly, so SS stated that she refused to put wear and tear on her new SUV and won't chip in for gas because "we're grown ups now." SS wanted us to get a fancy hotel suite, instead we found an apartment via Air B&B  that costs a tenth of the cost of the hotel. Since we've got the apartment we planned on cooking all the bride's favorite foods and only going out for dinner once. SS will not chip in for groceries since she wants to go out to eat and doesn't want to eat our substandard cooking.

An SS of that nature would find herself very quickly booted from the party in its' entirety in my circle of friends; no matter what relation she is to the bride!
... it might frighten them.
Victoria,

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #20519 on: April 14, 2013, 12:11:29 PM »

An SS of that nature would find herself very quickly booted from the party in its' entirety in my circle of friends; no matter what relation she is to the bride!

The bride really wants her there and says that SS is just joking, she'll eventually chip in. Meanwhile, I am fully prepared to refuse to let her eat any food at the apartment until she pays.