Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5767945 times)

BarensMom

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #20580 on: April 22, 2013, 03:14:30 PM »
The last straw was one Sunday when I arrived at the nursery with our daughters, only to find that - once again - the volunteer hadn't shown up.  Just as I was standing there thinking "Not AGAIN", another mother showed up with her little girl.  She asked "Are you today's volunteer?"  I said "No, I'm just a mom.  The volunteer isn't here."  "Oh," she said, and LEFT HER DAUGHTER THERE WITH ME.   :o  I called after her "Excuse me!  I'm not the volunteer!  I wasn't even planning to stay!", to no avail.  Short of marching into the church with all three kids in tow and dragging her out by her collar, I had no choice but to stay in the nursery, looking after her little girl as well as mine.

I am so stunned I can't even think of what my own reaction would have been.  Open mouthed astonishment perhaps, I am completely boggled that someone would do that.  I might have just followed her to her place in the church, dropped off the kid, then left, but if the service was about to start, that could have been seen as making a scene.

I would have made the scene.  It wouldn't bother me at all, if asked what I was doing, to say, 'The volunteer for the nursery failed to show and Mrs. Smith left her daughter with me without asking if I minded.  Since I don't intend to stay with no one to watch the children, I'm returning Mrs. Smith's daughter to her.  I apologize for interrupting.  See you the next time a volunteer actually shows up.'

I used to work in the church nursery during Sunday School and services.  You would be amazed at the number of parents who put their children in the nursery, then take off.  One woman used to leave her kids, then take off for 2-3 hours with her boyfriend, while her husband attended his class and services.  This went on for a few months, until the husband caught her with her boyfriend in the parking lot.  Righteous anger doesn't begin to describe it.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20581 on: April 22, 2013, 03:21:13 PM »
Our church had a real nursery for children five and under.  I was the director of that nursery and I had assistants.  I was also fourteen when I became the "director". 

I was incredibly responsible and very good with babies and kids.  Most parents were very appreciative to have the option, but there were a few who would not leave their children under the supervision of teenagers.  So their kids would cry throughout the entire service to the point the pastor couldn't even be heard.  But I guess in their minds, ruining everyone else's experience was preferable to leaving Little Junior in a playroom with toys and books and a sand table under the supervision of several teenaged girls!   :-\

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20582 on: April 22, 2013, 03:32:22 PM »
Shalamar wrote:

"The last straw was one Sunday when I arrived at the nursery with our daughters, only to find that - once again - the volunteer hadn't shown up.  Just as I was standing there thinking "Not AGAIN", another mother showed up with her little girl.  She asked "Are you today's volunteer?"  I said "No, I'm just a mom.  The volunteer isn't here."  "Oh," she said, and LEFT HER DAUGHTER THERE WITH ME.   :o  I called after her "Excuse me!  I'm not the volunteer!  I wasn't even planning to stay!", to no avail.  Short of marching into the church with all three kids in tow and dragging her out by her collar, I had no choice but to stay in the nursery, looking after her little girl as well as mine."

In your place I'd have done exactly what you considered.  I'd have taken the child back to her mother in the sanctuary, interrupting the service if need be, and told her that I was not the volunteer and that I was unwilling to be the caretaker.  If the priest/minister or deacons were bothered by that, I'd make it known why the interruption was necessary, and then I'd have left to find a church more in line with my needs.  The reason why the problem persisted was because nobody blew the top off it, and such a scene would probably have resulted in a more functional nursery.

You always have a choice when such things happen, up to and including calling the church office or even the police to report an abandoned child if need be.

Virg

CakeBeret

« Reply #20583 on: April 22, 2013, 04:05:46 PM »
This really belongs in the Brain Hurt thread but, since that no longer exists, I'll put it here.

Back in my library days, we had a request.  Someone wanted to write, 'Sorry about the broken leg.  Good luck, King Tut' on a friend's cast.  This was a cute idea but he wanted to write it in Egyptian hieroglyphs and I was supposed to tell him how to do it OVER THE PHONE!   :o  ???

'Okay, let's start.  Quail chick, dish, forearm, vulture, animal skin, face-forward human head, begin cartouche ...'

Because I don't read hieroglyphs,  this was total bushwah on my part but the request was absurd and I was feeling a bit frisky that day. 

At that point he decided that this was a bit more than he bargained for and hung up.

Sometimes, you can nail the SS people.   

I am sitting here regretting the fact that I am not, and can never hope to be, this awesome.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #20584 on: April 22, 2013, 04:24:46 PM »
I volunteered for a year in the nursery (under two year room) when VorSon was that age. 

We had parents who dropped off kids with no food, no bottle, and (worst of all) no diapers or a change of clothes when the diaper was already soaking wet.

We did not have spare diapers sitting around the nursery unless someone donated the leftovers that a child had outgrown.  In fact, that age (walking to age two) had outgrown the original faculties and we were in an area with no running water - so we had to use hand sanitizer & gloves to change diapers. 

I was happy to move to the two year old room (with attached bathroom between in-training and completed training rooms) once VorSon got older.  We still had kids dropped off without sufficient supplies - but if we watched the kids, we could take them to a bathroom & clean them (and ourselves) up with running water, hand soap, and paper towels.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

mmswm

« Reply #20585 on: April 22, 2013, 04:29:24 PM »
I volunteered for a year in the nursery (under two year room) when VorSon was that age. 

We had parents who dropped off kids with no food, no bottle, and (worst of all) no diapers or a change of clothes when the diaper was already soaking wet.

We did not have spare diapers sitting around the nursery unless someone donated the leftovers that a child had outgrown.  In fact, that age (walking to age two) had outgrown the original faculties and we were in an area with no running water - so we had to use hand sanitizer & gloves to change diapers. 

I was happy to move to the two year old room (with attached bathroom between in-training and completed training rooms) once VorSon got older.  We still had kids dropped off without sufficient supplies - but if we watched the kids, we could take them to a bathroom & clean them (and ourselves) up with running water, hand soap, and paper towels.

My mother was the director of our church nursery for a number of years.  She would have refused to take a child who was dropped off without sufficient supplies.  There was some resistance when she took over, but she had the blessing of the very much beloved pastor, and it didn't take long before everybody knew that she meant business.  This was the same church where the same beloved pastor stopped his sermon to direct the parents of a screaming child to the cry room or nursery.  That priest is retired now.  Man do I miss him.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #20586 on: April 22, 2013, 04:34:51 PM »
My mother sat in the back when me and my sister were little as my sister was more challenging compared to me to get her to stay in one spot quietly then later on was able to move closer to front of the church. I feel she was being polite in what she did until my sister would not dart off into the next county and make a commotion at the same time.

That's exactly what my mother and grandmother did with me, my older sister, and my younger sister when we were kids. We always sat in the back pew of the church so we could step out if need be without disturbing the service. We were actually pretty well-behaved kids (well, me and ODS - YDS was kind of another story, LOL), but of course when we were babies, well, babies cry and fuss when they need something and there's nothing one can do about that. And even older kids can sometimes be unpredictable!

You know what's funny--my previous pastor always suggested that parents w/ little kids sit up front. He said (and he raised 5 boys and was a VERY observant pastor w/ many years of experience) that the little kid felt more involved and was actually EASIER to handle and much more likely to stay focused on what was going on.

It worked w/ my kid, and it worked with other people's little kids.

This is the pastor who also said, "The kid hasn't been born yet that I can't preach over."

mmswm

« Reply #20587 on: April 22, 2013, 04:43:06 PM »
My mother sat in the back when me and my sister were little as my sister was more challenging compared to me to get her to stay in one spot quietly then later on was able to move closer to front of the church. I feel she was being polite in what she did until my sister would not dart off into the next county and make a commotion at the same time.

That's exactly what my mother and grandmother did with me, my older sister, and my younger sister when we were kids. We always sat in the back pew of the church so we could step out if need be without disturbing the service. We were actually pretty well-behaved kids (well, me and ODS - YDS was kind of another story, LOL), but of course when we were babies, well, babies cry and fuss when they need something and there's nothing one can do about that. And even older kids can sometimes be unpredictable!

You know what's funny--my previous pastor always suggested that parents w/ little kids sit up front. He said (and he raised 5 boys and was a VERY observant pastor w/ many years of experience) that the little kid felt more involved and was actually EASIER to handle and much more likely to stay focused on what was going on.

It worked w/ my kid, and it worked with other people's little kids.

This is the pastor who also said, "The kid hasn't been born yet that I can't preach over."

My middle son would have taken that as a challenge!  He's my stubborn child.  And he's an intense child.  He's a good kid, but the "how to behave like a human instead of an imp" lessons took a lot longer with him than with the other two.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

cabbageweevil

« Reply #20588 on: April 22, 2013, 04:44:45 PM »
Concerning church-and-kids doings, as much discussed upthread: as a non-parent, and unreligious person / non-churchgoer, I have no possible dog in this fight.  Must admit, though, to having entertained the thought, "people have been attending regular religious services, and have been reproducing, for thousands of years. Surely during that length of time, they could have worked out ways to efficiently handle the problems / conflicts of interests, posed by the two?"  A moment of thought tells that it isn't that simple:  society and its ways, change and evolve over quite short time-spans -- what worked even 30 - 40 years ago, may not work anything like so well now. In all, a difficult one: message got by me, "if I were to get religion, it would behove me to try my best to be tolerant and non-cranky, re kids brought to church".

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20589 on: April 22, 2013, 04:45:22 PM »
Yikes, VorFemme!  That would tick me off too! 

I'll admit, I forgot diapers once.  I'd grabbed the diaper bag in a hurry, not realizing there were no diapers actually inside.  I realized my mistake by the time I got to the nursery and one of the women said "Oh don't worry, we have extras!" That was the only time I've forgotten them though.  And unless Piratebabe does something on the way, he does not arrive in a soaked diaper. :P 

Last week the woman who usually runs the nursery was sick and the girl that was hired couldn't come in that day, so when I showed up at 9 for the older two to have Sunday School/youth group, instead of going to the adult bible study I just sat in the nursery with him.   Can't imagine people showing up and leaving their kids in a nursery with no one to look after him!

Toots, our priest, when told that someone's recently baptized 2 year old was asking tons of questions about the service, she said "Bring him up front so he can see better!" :) 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

BatCity

• Duct Tape and Chicken Wire
« Reply #20590 on: April 22, 2013, 05:18:03 PM »
The beach is a lovely breeding ground for special snowflakes, as we all know.

The problem with gorgeous weekends this early in the northern hemisphere is that you have mobs of people at the public beach, but no lifeguards or beach patrol. SS #1 either knew this, or most likely was just ignorant, and brought their little dog to the beach. Now, I love dogs, but there are very good reasons dogs aren't allowed on public beaches. I wasn't able to find anyone to notify and wasn't about to engage the snowflake, so I just let it be.

SS#2 must have had a death wish, because I can't believe anyone would do this. The pier at this beach is actually a wharf, with a parking lot, shops and restaurants. When we went walking along the wharf, we witnessed someone driving with an iPad propped up on the steering wheel so they could use it and drive at the same time.

MerryCat

« Reply #20591 on: April 22, 2013, 06:08:16 PM »

SS#2 must have had a death wish, because I can't believe anyone would do this. The pier at this beach is actually a wharf, with a parking lot, shops and restaurants. When we went walking along the wharf, we witnessed someone driving with an iPad propped up on the steering wheel so they could use it and drive at the same time.

Well, at least they weren't trying to drive while reading a book. I had an acquaintance who once admitted to doing this. I never, ever let her drive me anywhere after that.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #20592 on: April 22, 2013, 06:33:24 PM »
Haven't been to church in years, but one we went to had a cry room. And when we were older my Dad used to sit upstairs with us where we bothered people less.

But one Easter, during the big Easter mass when the church was full to bursting (they opened up two classrooms that adjoined the church to accommodate people and even they were full) one SS had his mobile phone ring right in the middle of the stations of the cross. This was in the 90s, before everyone had a mobile phone. The priest stopped, right in the middle and looked at him.

Babies in the theatre also annoy me. It disturbs everyone, the performance and the audience. Why take a baby to a theatre? Particularly something that involves gunshot. DH and I are a bit apprehensive about this as we want to see The Lion King when it comes back to Sydney in December.

blueyzca01

« Reply #20593 on: April 22, 2013, 06:41:48 PM »
The last straw was one Sunday when I arrived at the nursery with our daughters, only to find that - once again - the volunteer hadn't shown up.  Just as I was standing there thinking "Not AGAIN", another mother showed up with her little girl.  She asked "Are you today's volunteer?"  I said "No, I'm just a mom.  The volunteer isn't here."  "Oh," she said, and LEFT HER DAUGHTER THERE WITH ME.   :o  I called after her "Excuse me!  I'm not the volunteer!  I wasn't even planning to stay!", to no avail.  Short of marching into the church with all three kids in tow and dragging her out by her collar, I had no choice but to stay in the nursery, looking after her little girl as well as mine.

I am so stunned I can't even think of what my own reaction would have been.  Open mouthed astonishment perhaps, I am completely boggled that someone would do that.  I might have just followed her to her place in the church, dropped off the kid, then left, but if the service was about to start, that could have been seen as making a scene.

I would have made the scene.  It wouldn't bother me at all, if asked what I was doing, to say, 'The volunteer for the nursery failed to show and Mrs. Smith left her daughter with me without asking if I minded.  Since I don't intend to stay with no one to watch the children, I'm returning Mrs. Smith's daughter to her.  I apologize for interrupting.  See you the next time a volunteer actually shows up.'

I love people with polished spines! 
No one ever says, "Why me?!?!" when something good happens.

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20594 on: April 22, 2013, 06:46:33 PM »

Well, at least they weren't trying to drive while reading a book. I had an acquaintance who once admitted to doing this. I never, ever let her drive me anywhere after that.

My dad used to drive with a newspaper spread across the steering wheel so he could read it as he went along his way.