Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5531160 times)

nuit93

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #20595 on: April 22, 2013, 06:56:22 PM »
Concerning church-and-kids doings, as much discussed upthread: as a non-parent, and unreligious person / non-churchgoer, I have no possible dog in this fight.  Must admit, though, to having entertained the thought, "people have been attending regular religious services, and have been reproducing, for thousands of years. Surely during that length of time, they could have worked out ways to efficiently handle the problems / conflicts of interests, posed by the two?"  A moment of thought tells that it isn't that simple:  society and its ways, change and evolve over quite short time-spans -- what worked even 30 - 40 years ago, may not work anything like so well now. In all, a difficult one: message got by me, "if I were to get religion, it would behove me to try my best to be tolerant and non-cranky, re kids brought to church".

Well, it was my understanding that many decades ago children were VERY firmly instructed to be seen and not heard, especially in church.  We no longer have those same expectations (or corporal consequences for failing to do so).

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #20596 on: April 22, 2013, 07:00:03 PM »

SS#2 must have had a death wish, because I can't believe anyone would do this. The pier at this beach is actually a wharf, with a parking lot, shops and restaurants. When we went walking along the wharf, we witnessed someone driving with an iPad propped up on the steering wheel so they could use it and drive at the same time.

Well, at least they weren't trying to drive while reading a book. I had an acquaintance who once admitted to doing this. I never, ever let her drive me anywhere after that.

My dad used to drive with a newspaper spread across the steering wheel so he could read it as he went along his way.

I will cop to walking and reading, but only on unbusy streets where you can hear cars coming three blocks away. And I look up before crossing the street!
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #20597 on: April 22, 2013, 07:12:06 PM »
When I was growing up, we sat close to the front (Dad was the preacher and Mom may have been the pianist, depending on the size of the church). 

If Dad had to stop preaching, the kid who caused it did a lot of praying for the rest of the service, on the way home, and until Dad got home.  If we were lucky, our prayers were answered and we got ONLY a lecture.  If we weren't lucky, well, it was the late 1960s and spankings were still one of the main ways to deal out discipline to children.

I still remember the evening service where my bored younger brother kept going for my purse to see if there was anything amusing in there.....and I was the one who got in trouble at church. 

He did get a reprimand when we got home - but the message that I took from that evening was to sit far away from him......because he got bored easily and putting it on my other side wasn't enough of a deterrent....

Looking back, he was probably hyperactive - but it was too early by ten or twenty years to get that kind of diagnosis in small towns in West Texas. 
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

blueyzca01

« Reply #20598 on: April 22, 2013, 07:28:19 PM »

SS#2 must have had a death wish, because I can't believe anyone would do this. The pier at this beach is actually a wharf, with a parking lot, shops and restaurants. When we went walking along the wharf, we witnessed someone driving with an iPad propped up on the steering wheel so they could use it and drive at the same time.

Well, at least they weren't trying to drive while reading a book. I had an acquaintance who once admitted to doing this. I never, ever let her drive me anywhere after that.

My dad used to drive with a newspaper spread across the steering wheel so he could read it as he went along his way.

This is probably around the same time that I would be in the passenger seat with my mom driving, and if she had to slam on the brakes, her right arm would fly out to stop me from being thrown forward. 

We all know now that there is no way on God's green earth that someone's arm could really prevent you from flying into the dashboard if the impact was strong enough...but I do know that most people my age remember a parent's right arm being used as a buffer.

No one ever says, "Why me?!?!" when something good happens.

EmmaJ.

« Reply #20599 on: April 22, 2013, 08:06:42 PM »

This is probably around the same time that I would be in the passenger seat with my mom driving, and if she had to slam on the brakes, her right arm would fly out to stop me from being thrown forward. 

We all know now that there is no way on God's green earth that someone's arm could really prevent you from flying into the dashboard if the impact was strong enough...but I do know that most people my age remember a parent's right arm being used as a buffer.

The safety arm!  ;D

I still do it, and the nieces love to poke fun at me whenever I do. 

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #20600 on: April 22, 2013, 08:23:27 PM »
In "The Blind Side," Michael Oher throws out his arm to stop the airbag from hitting his younger brother, SJ, who was really too small to be in the passenger seat of a car with an airbag.  I checked, and according to this website that contrasts the movie to the true story, http://www.chasingthefrog.com/reelfaces/blindside.php, it really did happen.  Of course, that's stopping an airbag, not preventing a kid from flying into the window, but it's still a pretty stupendous feat.

AngelicGamer

« Reply #20601 on: April 22, 2013, 09:32:09 PM »
In "The Blind Side," Michael Oher throws out his arm to stop the airbag from hitting his younger brother, SJ, who was really too small to be in the passenger seat of a car with an airbag.  I checked, and according to this website that contrasts the movie to the true story, http://www.chasingthefrog.com/reelfaces/blindside.php, it really did happen.  Of course, that's stopping an airbag, not preventing a kid from flying into the window, but it's still a pretty stupendous feat.

It's also Michael Oher, who was amazing in his own right.  I'm not sure if what he did would really work with a regular person in real life.

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

Iris

« Reply #20602 on: April 22, 2013, 09:54:47 PM »
When I was growing up, we sat close to the front (Dad was the preacher and Mom may have been the pianist, depending on the size of the church). 

If Dad had to stop preaching, the kid who caused it did a lot of praying for the rest of the service, on the way home, and until Dad got home.  If we were lucky, our prayers were answered and we got ONLY a lecture.  If we weren't lucky, well, it was the late 1960s and spankings were still one of the main ways to deal out discipline to children.

I still remember the evening service where my bored younger brother kept going for my purse to see if there was anything amusing in there.....and I was the one who got in trouble at church. 

He did get a reprimand when we got home - but the message that I took from that evening was to sit far away from him......because he got bored easily and putting it on my other side wasn't enough of a deterrent....

Looking back, he was probably hyperactive - but it was too early by ten or twenty years to get that kind of diagnosis in small towns in West Texas.

A couple of decades later the tight grip on the upper arm, complete with long fingernails (ouch!) and a hissed "You're embarrassing me" did the trick. This was a technique used widely by all my friend's mothers and it was certainly effective.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #20603 on: April 22, 2013, 11:18:30 PM »
We left one church because there was no nursery or cry room. 

Our church had a nursery, but the idea was that there would be a rotating list of trusted volunteers who'd attend the children during the service so that the parents could just leave their little ones there and know they'd be looked after.   After three consecutive weeks of the volunteers simply not showing up, we gave up.  If we wanted to sit and watch our daughters play with toys, we could do that at home without having to shower or change out of our jammies.

The last straw was one Sunday when I arrived at the nursery with our daughters, only to find that - once again - the volunteer hadn't shown up.  Just as I was standing there thinking "Not AGAIN", another mother showed up with her little girl.  She asked "Are you today's volunteer?"  I said "No, I'm just a mom.  The volunteer isn't here."  "Oh," she said, and LEFT HER DAUGHTER THERE WITH ME.   :o  I called after her "Excuse me!  I'm not the volunteer!  I wasn't even planning to stay!", to no avail.  Short of marching into the church with all three kids in tow and dragging her out by her collar, I had no choice but to stay in the nursery, looking after her little girl as well as mine.

You do have a choice, though. People in restaurants have tried that with me. They'll leave small kids behind and say "Stay at the table and be good for the nice lady. Mommy will be right back. Wave to the nice lady." I make sure to say loudly "I am not watching your kids. If you leave them, I am walking away from this table. I will not stop anyone who tries to walk off with them." It works like a charm.

Minmom3

« Reply #20604 on: April 22, 2013, 11:22:53 PM »
DP and I have an ongoing debate of sorts going on this point - I say, it's better to avoid the accident than be right. She's more of a 'it's my right of way, no you can't share it, you'll get the ticket not me' on these things.

One of my favorite "funny" epitaphs:
This is the grave of Mike O’Day
Who died maintaining his right of way.
His right was clear, his will was strong,
But he’s just as dead as if he’d been wrong.

I love that :-)

One of my favorite lines that I use in the context of relationships and also at work is "would you rather be right or happy?"  'cos picking your battles is wise.

I think my grandfather had that in mind when he told me, at a very young age, that people had the right of way when crossing the road, but cars were bigger, and cars would win if they hit me, and being right wouldn't keep me alive.  I think I was about 5 years old.
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

nuit93

« Reply #20605 on: April 23, 2013, 12:00:57 AM »

I have a friend who used to do that to keep her purse from falling over while it was in the passenger seat.

Until one day when *I* was in the passenger seat and we got that much closer :)

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #20606 on: April 23, 2013, 04:36:51 AM »

Given Kindle apps and other bookreaders are pretty common on iPads, they may very well have been reading a book! (Or a webpage, or a newspaper, or...)
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Mediancat

• Shibboleth of Shadowland
« Reply #20607 on: April 23, 2013, 08:19:24 AM »

I will cop to walking and reading, but only on unbusy streets where you can hear cars coming three blocks away. And I look up before crossing the street!

I walk and read, also. I would never dream of DRIVING and reading.

Rob
"In all of mankind's history, there has never been more damage done than by someone who 'thought they were doing the right thing'." -- Lucy, Peanuts

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #20608 on: April 23, 2013, 08:29:24 AM »
I have to wonder, though, if he had his GPS pulled up on it and was only briefly glancing down to see how close he was to his next turn.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Ginger G

« Reply #20609 on: April 23, 2013, 08:33:07 AM »

Definitely be careful walking and reading.  Years ago, my bf from high school hit an elderly man with her car and killed him.  We were in college at the time.  She wasn't charged because he was reading a newspaper and stepped right out in front of her.  There was nothing she could do, but it messed her up mentally pretty bad.