Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 4386341 times)

Mediancat

• Shibboleth of Shadowland
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #20610 on: April 23, 2013, 08:19:24 AM »

SS#2 must have had a death wish, because I can't believe anyone would do this. The pier at this beach is actually a wharf, with a parking lot, shops and restaurants. When we went walking along the wharf, we witnessed someone driving with an iPad propped up on the steering wheel so they could use it and drive at the same time.

Well, at least they weren't trying to drive while reading a book. I had an acquaintance who once admitted to doing this. I never, ever let her drive me anywhere after that.

My dad used to drive with a newspaper spread across the steering wheel so he could read it as he went along his way.

I will cop to walking and reading, but only on unbusy streets where you can hear cars coming three blocks away. And I look up before crossing the street!

I walk and read, also. I would never dream of DRIVING and reading.

Rob
"In all of mankind's history, there has never been more damage done than by someone who 'thought they were doing the right thing'." -- Lucy, Peanuts

Mental Magpie

• ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #20611 on: April 23, 2013, 08:29:24 AM »
I have to wonder, though, if he had his GPS pulled up on it and was only briefly glancing down to see how close he was to his next turn.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Ginger G

« Reply #20612 on: April 23, 2013, 08:33:07 AM »
I will cop to walking and reading, but only on unbusy streets where you can hear cars coming three blocks away. And I look up before crossing the street!

Definitely be careful walking and reading.  Years ago, my bf from high school hit an elderly man with her car and killed him.  We were in college at the time.  She wasn't charged because he was reading a newspaper and stepped right out in front of her.  There was nothing she could do, but it messed her up mentally pretty bad.

o_gal

« Reply #20613 on: April 23, 2013, 08:39:53 AM »
Along the lines of kids being just dropped off at church nurseries and the parent disappearing, I had the following happen one year at Vacation Bible School. I was the registrar and we were handling the massive influx of parents to register and fill out paperwork. Some people were pre-registered, and the registration form clearly stated to let us know if your child has an allergy.

2 kids are just hanging around the area outside the sanctuary where we are doing registration. After awhile, they ask for a particular person. Said person is supposed to be taking care of them but I haven't seen the person all morning. It turns out that she was there but just hadn't come upstairs yet. I know her, and knew she was supposed to be there, but not that she was actually there or that she was supposed to be taking care of these kids. Oh, and the boy tells me that the person is also supposed to have their snacks in the kitchen, which puzzles me until I ask him and find out the real details.

It turns out that Mom literally dropped off a 7 year old brother and 5 year old sister for VBS and drove away. She had talked to the person that they knew, and the person agreed to watch out for them, get them registered, etc. And this person was also supposed to bring in their peanut-allergy safe snacks. Which the person had done, but no one talked to anyone about it. As far as we knew there were no kids registered with peanut or other allergies. The person left the snacks in the kitchen, but they weren't marked for these particular kids. So the volunteers preparing snacks had no idea why the snacks were there and who they were for, so they could have just been tossed and the kids fed the regular snack which was not guaranteed to be allergen-free.

So 2 SS for the price of one - a Mom who has kids with allergies (peanuts for the brother and it turns out dairy for the sister) who just drops them off without connecting up with anyone and seeing that her kids would be safe, and the person she was supposed to connect with, who didn't bother to let anyone know that she was responsible for them. The chuch leaders didn't like it when I threated to call the police the next year if this happened again. The next year I was not asked to be registrar.

Shalamar

« Reply #20614 on: April 23, 2013, 09:59:18 AM »
That reminds me of when my daughters used to be in Brownies.  We parents were told very explicitly that, on meeting nights, we were to walk our children into the church and make sure they were safe.  I was a bit puzzled, because I was planning to do that anyway and couldn't fathom why they felt the need to make a point of that.  It turned out that there was one parent the previous year who had a habit of just dropping off her 8-year-old daughter outside the church and driving away, and one night (unbeknownst to her) the meeting had been cancelled.  Her poor daughter, not having any way of contacting her mother, somehow found her way home in the dark and freezing cold.  :o

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
  • Paws for a smile
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #20615 on: April 23, 2013, 10:00:29 AM »

SS#2 must have had a death wish, because I can't believe anyone would do this. The pier at this beach is actually a wharf, with a parking lot, shops and restaurants. When we went walking along the wharf, we witnessed someone driving with an iPad propped up on the steering wheel so they could use it and drive at the same time.

Well, at least they weren't trying to drive while reading a book. I had an acquaintance who once admitted to doing this. I never, ever let her drive me anywhere after that.

Given Kindle apps and other bookreaders are pretty common on iPads, they may very well have been reading a book! (Or a webpage, or a newspaper, or...)

I had a coworker who would proudly tell us how he worked so much he even worked while driving. By working, I mean creating an incredibly complex spreadsheet on his laptop, which was propped up on the steering wheel. Unfortunately, this was seen more as a badge of honor than as something incredibly stupid, risky and a liability to boot (today, I would seriously reprimand any of my team who was up to such shenanigans).

And I was dumb enough to remain in that company for 2 years after that incident... not a healthy environment.

Dr. F.

« Reply #20616 on: April 23, 2013, 11:04:46 AM »

My dad used to drive with a newspaper spread across the steering wheel so he could read it as he went along his way.

This is probably around the same time that I would be in the passenger seat with my mom driving, and if she had to slam on the brakes, her right arm would fly out to stop me from being thrown forward. 

We all know now that there is no way on God's green earth that someone's arm could really prevent you from flying into the dashboard if the impact was strong enough...but I do know that most people my age remember a parent's right arm being used as a buffer.

Mine STILL does this, even though I'm 40-mumble and wearing a seatbelt.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #20617 on: April 23, 2013, 11:05:21 AM »
That reminds me of when my daughters used to be in Brownies.  We parents were told very explicitly that, on meeting nights, we were to walk our children into the church and make sure they were safe.  I was a bit puzzled, because I was planning to do that anyway and couldn't fathom why they felt the need to make a point of that.  It turned out that there was one parent the previous year who had a habit of just dropping off her 8-year-old daughter outside the church and driving away, and one night (unbeknownst to her) the meeting had been cancelled.  Her poor daughter, not having any way of contacting her mother, somehow found her way home in the dark and freezing cold.  :o

I used to take my girls to gymnastics/dance at a studio that had signs all *over* the place, telling parents that they had to actually bring their kids in and not drop them off in the parking lot.  It didn't seem to work, I saw parents doing it all the time.  However, the girls that I saw dropped off tended to be older, middle school or up.  And nowadays, quite possibly had cell phones!  I'm surprised the Brownie mom didn't notice the lack of cars in the parking lot, unless she was used to being one of the first to get there.  I'd imagine you'd at least have a car for the leader and any co-leader, even if all the other parents just did dropoff.

Dr. F.

« Reply #20618 on: April 23, 2013, 11:07:37 AM »

Given Kindle apps and other bookreaders are pretty common on iPads, they may very well have been reading a book! (Or a webpage, or a newspaper, or...)

He was probably looking at a map.

StuffedGrapeLeaves

« Reply #20619 on: April 23, 2013, 11:14:43 AM »
My mother sat in the back when me and my sister were little as my sister was more challenging compared to me to get her to stay in one spot quietly then later on was able to move closer to front of the church. I feel she was being polite in what she did until my sister would not dart off into the next county and make a commotion at the same time.

That's exactly what my mother and grandmother did with me, my older sister, and my younger sister when we were kids. We always sat in the back pew of the church so we could step out if need be without disturbing the service. We were actually pretty well-behaved kids (well, me and ODS - YDS was kind of another story, LOL), but of course when we were babies, well, babies cry and fuss when they need something and there's nothing one can do about that. And even older kids can sometimes be unpredictable!

You know what's funny--my previous pastor always suggested that parents w/ little kids sit up front. He said (and he raised 5 boys and was a VERY observant pastor w/ many years of experience) that the little kid felt more involved and was actually EASIER to handle and much more likely to stay focused on what was going on.

It worked w/ my kid, and it worked with other people's little kids.

This is the pastor who also said, "The kid hasn't been born yet that I can't preach over."

My middle son would have taken that as a challenge!  He's my stubborn child.  And he's an intense child.  He's a good kid, but the "how to behave like a human instead of an imp" lessons took a lot longer with him than with the other two.

mmswm, this made me laugh because my DS is exactly like this.  He's only 4, so the lessons are still ongoing, and sometimes I feel like we're failing more than we're succeeding in teaching him. 

mmswm

« Reply #20620 on: April 23, 2013, 11:22:36 AM »
My mother sat in the back when me and my sister were little as my sister was more challenging compared to me to get her to stay in one spot quietly then later on was able to move closer to front of the church. I feel she was being polite in what she did until my sister would not dart off into the next county and make a commotion at the same time.

That's exactly what my mother and grandmother did with me, my older sister, and my younger sister when we were kids. We always sat in the back pew of the church so we could step out if need be without disturbing the service. We were actually pretty well-behaved kids (well, me and ODS - YDS was kind of another story, LOL), but of course when we were babies, well, babies cry and fuss when they need something and there's nothing one can do about that. And even older kids can sometimes be unpredictable!

You know what's funny--my previous pastor always suggested that parents w/ little kids sit up front. He said (and he raised 5 boys and was a VERY observant pastor w/ many years of experience) that the little kid felt more involved and was actually EASIER to handle and much more likely to stay focused on what was going on.

It worked w/ my kid, and it worked with other people's little kids.

This is the pastor who also said, "The kid hasn't been born yet that I can't preach over."

My middle son would have taken that as a challenge!  He's my stubborn child.  And he's an intense child.  He's a good kid, but the "how to behave like a human instead of an imp" lessons took a lot longer with him than with the other two.

mmswm, this made me laugh because my DS is exactly like this.  He's only 4, so the lessons are still ongoing, and sometimes I feel like we're failing more than we're succeeding in teaching him.

What worked for me was getting him involved in a physically intense activity that he enjoyed.  When middle DS was 4.5, he got involved in figure skating. A year later he was skating 6 days a week and competing regularly.  The focus required to skate well, as well as certain life lessons being reinforced by his coach really helped him make that breakthrough from imp to well-behaved (though still impish at times) kid.  Though he no longer skates (ankle injury trying to land a new jump), he does still dance ballet.  He is a child that really needs that physical outlet in order to keep himself together the rest of the day.

LadyDyani

• Freelance Editor
« Reply #20621 on: April 23, 2013, 03:02:42 PM »
Three times today, I've heard him barking, gone out back, and there he sits, not wound up or anything, six feet away from the door.  He just wanted the door open before he started walking toward it.  What a little prince.

Hahahahaha!  He just did it again, I went out and let him off the rope, and he went to the door and stopped.  I opened it further, and he just looked at me.  So I went inside and he followed right behind me. Yesterday he was a prince, today he's a gentleman.

English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #20622 on: April 23, 2013, 06:54:09 PM »
So 2 SS for the price of one - a Mom who has kids with allergies (peanuts for the brother and it turns out dairy for the sister) who just drops them off without connecting up with anyone and seeing that her kids would be safe, and the person she was supposed to connect with, who didn't bother to let anyone know that she was responsible for them. The chuch leaders didn't like it when I threated to call the police the next year if this happened again. The next year I was not asked to be registrar.

Reminds me of someone who sent their kid to my sample cart last year. I had a 4-ish boy approach for a sample and his parent announced from a couple feet away "IT'S OKAY WITH ME IF HEHAS A SAMPLE." So I handed the kid a sample and he said "Thank you *tilts head* does dis have nuts in it ? *skips away to mom*" Cue me almost having a heart attack.

Experienced some ss waitresses at the former Beloved Mom & Daughter restaurant today:
http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=74341.msg2921596#msg2921596
This restaurant has milkshakes on the menu, but I'd never ordered one there until today. As soon as I asked my waitress for a milkshake, the other waitresses started whooping loudly about "Oh boy *dripping with sarcasm* Suzy Waitress is the best milkshake maker ever. She loves to make milkshakes. If you want a milkshake, you ask Suzy to make it for you." Suzy made some comment to them that it's hard to make this restaurant's milkshakes  ???

The entire time I sat there sipping the milkshake, the waitresses kept repeating over and over, to any customer who'd listen "Oh boy *dripping with sarcasm* Suzy Waitress is the best milkshake maker ever. She loves to make milkshakes. If you want a milkshake, you ask Suzy to make it for you. You should order a milkshake RIGHT NOW. Hey, Suzy, let's put up a special poster saying 'Come to (restaurant) for milkshakes. Suzy will make them for you.' We'll set you up a special corner to make milkshakes." They were still doing that until the moment I left. It made me really uncomfortable. :(

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #20623 on: April 23, 2013, 07:55:28 PM »
Experienced some ss waitresses at the former Beloved Mom & Daughter restaurant today:
http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=74341.msg2921596#msg2921596
This restaurant has milkshakes on the menu, but I'd never ordered one there until today. As soon as I asked my waitress for a milkshake, the other waitresses started whooping loudly about "Oh boy *dripping with sarcasm* Suzy Waitress is the best milkshake maker ever. She loves to make milkshakes. If you want a milkshake, you ask Suzy to make it for you." Suzy made some comment to them that it's hard to make this restaurant's milkshakes  ???

The entire time I sat there sipping the milkshake, the waitresses kept repeating over and over, to any customer who'd listen "Oh boy *dripping with sarcasm* Suzy Waitress is the best milkshake maker ever. She loves to make milkshakes. If you want a milkshake, you ask Suzy to make it for you. You should order a milkshake RIGHT NOW. Hey, Suzy, let's put up a special poster saying 'Come to (restaurant) for milkshakes. Suzy will make them for you.' We'll set you up a special corner to make milkshakes." They were still doing that until the moment I left. It made me really uncomfortable. :(

What jerks. I wouldn't be shocked if they were found the next day, head down in a butt of melted ice cream. With your testimony, not a jury in the world would convict Suzy.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

BatCity

• Duct Tape and Chicken Wire
« Reply #20624 on: April 24, 2013, 10:18:33 AM »
I saw this in Slate yesterday:

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/family/2013/04/food_allergies_and_playgrounds_please_don_t_bring_snacks_to_playgrounds.html

What do you all think? I'm tempted to hand the author the Special Snowflake of the Year award.