Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5642503 times)

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #20640 on: April 24, 2013, 11:21:50 AM »
Dr. F, it may not have been a person.  I was cursing the person who was breaking my lilies off last summer.  At which point, my neighbours informed me that the squirrels were climbing up the tree and taking a flying leap at the lilies to break the blooms off.

If it was a person, they deserve special snowflake status.  Can we bestow it upon squirrels?   :)

Yes.  Some stole my bird feeder a few years ago!  They ate their way through half of the plastic bottom, then gave up and dragged it up the garden.

I went to the pet shop to buy a new feeder, asking "This is going to sound odd, but have you got any really strong bird feeders? You see, the squirrels..." at which point the lady laughed and said, "Yeah, you're not the first.  Metal feeders are over there."

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20641 on: April 24, 2013, 11:25:17 AM »
Metal feeders aren't the whole solution, though.  I had one, hanging on a tree branch.  The squirrels jumped up and down on the branch until the feeder fell to the ground and the top came off!

I now have a 'Squirrel Buster' feeder.  It has a mechanism whereby if the weight is too much on the perches, it closed over the seed holes.  It works for larger birds, too, like the dang starlings and grackles.  Rats with wings, they are.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #20642 on: April 24, 2013, 11:28:04 AM »
Now I'm laughing, imagining them standing around the stolen feeder going "What the #($@? It's not refilling! Where are the seeds?"
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #20643 on: April 24, 2013, 11:43:40 AM »
My dad had trouble with squirrels and his feeder, too.  If he hung it from a tree, they'd climb down the line to the feeder.  So he put it on a tall pole.  They'd try climbing up the pole, and sometimes be successful.  They'd also climb up the nearby trees, go out on branches, and divebomb the feeder.  These were 50-feet tall trees and the branches were nowhere nearby.  Those guys are determined!  They also burrowed holes into the trash cans.

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #20644 on: April 24, 2013, 11:47:31 AM »
We had a groundhog knock our birdfeeder down. It was hung on a dogwood branch, and the bugger climbed the tree and knocked the feeder down, breaking it. >:(
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

Dr. F.

« Reply #20645 on: April 24, 2013, 11:50:33 AM »
Dr. F, it may not have been a person.  I was cursing the person who was breaking my lilies off last summer.  At which point, my neighbours informed me that the squirrels were climbing up the tree and taking a flying leap at the lilies to break the blooms off.

If it was a person, they deserve special snowflake status.  Can we bestow it upon squirrels?   :)

The blooms were completely removed, so unless the squirrels were taking posies home, it was a person. Squirrels are definitely SS little buggers, though!

random numbers

« Reply #20646 on: April 24, 2013, 11:54:02 AM »
We had a groundhog knock our birdfeeder down. It was hung on a dogwood branch, and the bugger climbed the tree and knocked the feeder down, breaking it. >:(

Learn something new every day. I just never thought of groundhogs climbing trees. Kind of boggling.

"Despite their heavy-bodied appearance, groundhogs are accomplished swimmers and excellent tree climbers when escaping predators or when they want to survey their surroundings."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groundhog
^ Chapman, J.A.; Feldhammer, G.A. (1982). Wild Mammals of North America, Biology, Management, Economics. Johns Hopkins University Press. ISBN 0801823536.

Kariachi

« Reply #20647 on: April 24, 2013, 12:07:44 PM »
Metal feeders aren't the whole solution, though.  I had one, hanging on a tree branch.  The squirrels jumped up and down on the branch until the feeder fell to the ground and the top came off!

I now have a 'Squirrel Buster' feeder.  It has a mechanism whereby if the weight is too much on the perches, it closed over the seed holes.  It works for larger birds, too, like the dang starlings and grackles.  Rats with wings, they are.

I've only seen my father shoot at two living things with his BB gun, a cat that was harassing ours(as in would chase out cats into the house, follow them, and then try to mark our walls) and the flippin grackles.

They keep trying to nest in our walls! We sealed the hole they were getting in through with sprayfoam insulation, then chicken wire, then more insulation, then a piece of sheet metal. It's been over a year and you can still find the buggers trying to get in!
"Heh. Forgive our manners, little creature that we may well kill and eat you is no excuse for rudeness."

NyaChan

« Reply #20648 on: April 24, 2013, 12:17:39 PM »
I don't think it is unreasonable to ask that parents clear up spills, to eat and drink away from the play equipment (allergies aside, having your child sit in, or put their hand in, someone else's split juice or melted ice-cream is not very nice), and expecting that parents take their litter home, or find a bin,  rather than leaving it scattered around the place seems to me entirely reasonable.

It maybe starts to get a little bit SS when it comes to telling other parents to use wipes not antibacterial gel, but even then the tone is more "It would really help if you did this" not "You must do this", so I'm willing to give her a pass :-)

Yup -- if y'all notice, Slate changed the title of the article (thought the window looks the same) to Please Don't Spill Your Child's Snacks All Over the Playground - the author's problem is with people leaving food behind, children throwing their ritz bitz or spilling drinks into the sandbox, not with people bringing food at all.

Hillia

« Reply #20649 on: April 24, 2013, 12:21:44 PM »
I saw this in Slate yesterday:

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/family/2013/04/food_allergies_and_playgrounds_please_don_t_bring_snacks_to_playgrounds.html

What do you all think? I'm tempted to hand the author the Special Snowflake of the Year award.

I'm tempted not to grant the award.  Yes, the request is a bit over the top but parents of children with food allergies are seriously concerned about these issues. 

Also, spilled food can attract creatures like rats that no one wants to encounter and playgrounds are not likely to be thoroughly cleaned everyday.

I do agree with her point about cleaning up spilled food, because people should be cleaning up their messes anyway and teaching their children to do likewise.  The rest of it was kind of eye-roll-y for me.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Mal

« Reply #20650 on: April 24, 2013, 12:24:36 PM »
Quote from: Kariachi
I've only seen my father shoot at two living things with his BB gun, a cat that was harassing ours(as in would chase out cats into the house, follow them, and then try to mark our walls) and the flippin grackles.

:o
I really don't know anything about BB guns, but isn't there a danger, especially indoors, of the projectiles ricocheting and actually injuring one of the cats - or even people nearby?

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #20651 on: April 24, 2013, 12:28:09 PM »
My DH was telling me about an article that was posted at our daycare. (I presume to read and discuss at home.) The gist of it was that we're all teaching our kids to be TOO polite, which is causing other children to become entitled and think that they can get anything if they ask for it, and perhaps we should teach our children to refuse to share.

I told DH that I don't think our DD that shares is the problem...
Ask me about Jamberry Nail Wraps!

Morrigan

• Requests from the Reference Desk
« Reply #20652 on: April 24, 2013, 12:32:01 PM »
My daughter (2) is a SS.  She walked down my line of daffodils (about an 8 foot row), breaking off all the blooms.  :(

squeakers

« Reply #20653 on: April 24, 2013, 12:35:23 PM »
Quote from: Kariachi

:o
I really don't know anything about BB guns, but isn't there a danger, especially indoors, of the projectiles ricocheting and actually injuring one of the cats - or even people nearby?

"You'll shoot your eye out, kid!"  Depends on what kind of BB gun the dad was using.  Metal BBs? More than likely could cause damage.  From a Daisy Red Ryder? probably not.  Plastic BBs from an Airsoft model, doubtful. Gravity fed? Probably not.  Pump action? Possibly. From a CO2 type BB gun, probably.

And stepping on pellets whether plastic or metal is no fun!
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

NyaChan

« Reply #20654 on: April 24, 2013, 12:54:08 PM »
My DH was telling me about an article that was posted at our daycare. (I presume to read and discuss at home.) The gist of it was that we're all teaching our kids to be TOO polite, which is causing other children to become entitled and think that they can get anything if they ask for it, and perhaps we should teach our children to refuse to share.

I told DH that I don't think our DD that shares is the problem...

That is really interesting - any way you could post the article?