Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5298986 times)

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #20730 on: April 28, 2013, 08:11:22 PM »
SS on Friday night at the pub.

Housemate and I went to the local pub for dinner - a fairly regular ritual. 

There was a family table near us - parents, 3 kids aged approx 5-8 and an older woman.  There were no problems until I was midway through my meal, when the older woman, our SS, (I'm assuming grandma but I could be wrong) started stirring the kids up. 

One of the girls had the most incredibly piercing shriek I have ever heard!  And the area we were sitting in has one glass wall, so there was a fair bit of reverb happening too.

Every time she shrieked, Housemate visibly jumped, and I tensed.  It was unpleasant.  Dad noticed, and repeatedly told the kids to settle down.  But SS Grandma just ignored him, and kept on winding the kids up, so the shrieks got louder and more frequent.

Housemate had finished eating (I hadn't), so we left very abruptly after one incredibly prolonged and piercing scream.  We weren't the only ones.  And SS Grandma was still going.

I hope the parents gave Grandma a clue on the way home.

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #20731 on: April 28, 2013, 09:26:44 PM »
Anyway, he answered the door once, and it was a proselytizer who he was politely trying to turn away and wouldn't go away.  Finally, I yelled out, "Tell her we're Catholic!"  DH said my disembodied shout visibly startled her, DH then said, "Sorry, but we're Catholic" and the woman finally simply handed him one of her stupid pamphlets and left (which DH promptly threw out).

I read the bolded as 'prost itute' and could not figure out why she had pamphlets.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 09:32:51 PM by zyrs »

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #20732 on: April 28, 2013, 09:27:26 PM »
Lady Snowdon, I wonder if this will work. Tell him, "I AM helping you by giving you the information need to get this fixed. I AM helping you by telling you that Department Y needs to handle this."
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20733 on: April 28, 2013, 09:30:17 PM »
Heehee...today I benefitted from someone's MIL being a SS.   One of the women at church, during the luncheon afterwards, said to me as I was getting food, "I got some clothes for my MIL on sale at Coldwater Creek, but she's really hard to please.  She's about your size, and if you don't like them, just pass them on to someone else, I won't be offended."

Well she had the clothes with her and from the complaints she told me her MIL made, it sounded like she was just making things up to refuse the clothes.  Like one blouse was "too revealing" because the "neckline was too low."  I haven't tried it on but it can't be much lower than my collarbone.   

But hey, I got some cute clothes so I'm glad her MIL's picky, and they fit nicely! :) Not to mention I wouldn't normally be able to afford Coldwater Creek.

Yesterday there was a SS spoiled kid when I went to go get my haircut.   He was there with his sister and Nana and when she kept telling him "No, I'm not buying you an iPad." he got real surly with her.  I guess he was between 8-10 and it was one of those times you tend to think "Boy, if you were my kid..." 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

magician5

« Reply #20734 on: April 28, 2013, 11:26:02 PM »
Anyway, he answered the door once, and it was a proselytizer who he was politely trying to turn away and wouldn't go away.  Finally, I yelled out, "Tell her we're Catholic!"  DH said my disembodied shout visibly startled her, DH then said, "Sorry, but we're Catholic" and the woman finally simply handed him one of her stupid pamphlets and left (which DH promptly threw out).

I read the bolded as 'prost itute' and could not figure out why she had pamphlets.

Who knows where they lived? In Vegas, I'm told they have pamplets. With coupons, even.
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

NyaChan

« Reply #20735 on: April 28, 2013, 11:27:24 PM »

Who knows where they lived? In Vegas, I'm told they have pamplets. With coupons, even.

Yup, littered the sidewalk when I went.  Quite the surprise.

PeterM

« Reply #20736 on: April 29, 2013, 02:16:08 AM »
Anyway, he answered the door once, and it was a proselytizer who he was politely trying to turn away and wouldn't go away. 

'Cause you gotta spend money to make money, that's why. Advertising is the name of the game, though of course the top three factors are location, location, location.

deadbody

« Reply #20737 on: April 29, 2013, 08:29:26 AM »

I can't envision that being something I would use a coupon for.  Once you go for that I think you are obligated to pay full price (and lets not even start on tipping if you do use the coupon, do you tip for full cost or coupon price?).

:)

Dr. F.

« Reply #20738 on: April 29, 2013, 08:33:20 AM »

I can't envision that being something I would use a coupon for.  Once you go for that I think you are obligated to pay full price (and lets not even start on tipping if you do use the coupon, do you tip for full cost or coupon price?).

:)

Buy 2, Get 1 Free?  >:D

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #20739 on: April 29, 2013, 08:36:29 AM »
When I burst into spontaneous hysterical laughter on my upcoming LV trip I choose to blame y'all.

>:D

magiccat26

• Goddess in training!
« Reply #20740 on: April 29, 2013, 09:06:02 AM »
When I burst into spontaneous hysterical laughter on my upcoming LV trip I choose to blame y'all.

It was so bad when DH and I went 10 years ago that we started collecting call girl trading cards.  It became a game for us trying to get a complete set.  (Kinda like Pokeman...gotta get them all!)
“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.” — Catherine Aird

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #20741 on: April 29, 2013, 09:12:36 AM »
I tend to stay away from The Strip after dark, but it's pretty bad even in the daytime. 

Bethczar

« Reply #20742 on: April 29, 2013, 09:48:30 AM »

It was so bad when DH and I went 10 years ago that we started collecting call girl trading cards.  It became a game for us trying to get a complete set.  (Kinda like Pokeman...gotta get them all!)
Nice to know DH & I aren't the only one who play that game!

Calistoga

« Reply #20743 on: April 29, 2013, 10:13:02 AM »
About two weeks ago we had some real special snowflakes come to the restaurant I work at.

We close at 9:00. Our hours are posted in very visible text on all of the doors.

It was 9:02. Our front door was locked. The staff was eagerly bustling around trying to get the heck out of dodge. We see a car pull in to the parking lot and think nothing of it- our lot is H shaped and really good for turning around in, plus 9:00 is when some of the staff gets off, so their rides show up then. It might also be a customer, but since it's past nine, they're unfortunately out of luck for the evening.

The car parks and a middle age couple get out. The walk to the front door. They read the hours. The man tries the door anyway and finds it locked. He walks off and we assume he got the message and go back to cleaning stuff.

Suddenly the side patio door opens and in walks the man, followed by his slightly irritated looking wife. They approach our completely empty counter and start looking at the menu. I'm in the back, so I go get my manager to help them understand what's going on here. The conversation that followed was very SS.

Manager: I'm sorry guys we close at nine.
(Clocks all over the place saying it's now 9:10)
Man: But the door was still unlocked.
Manager: I'm sorry, I must have missed one when I was locking up, but the kitchen is closed.
Woman: But it's not even 9:15!
Man: Your door was still unlocked, we're only a few minutes late, can't you just make us some (expletive) food?!

At this point my manager told them they needed to leave, unlocked the front door, and held it open until they left.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20744 on: April 29, 2013, 12:15:06 PM »
My dad once told me of a time he and my mother went to a Japanese restaurant and he seemed so proud of himself but I kept thinking "You are such a jerk" (didn't know the tern SS at the time.

He had explained that in the Japanese culture they don't like to tell you "no", and went on to tell his story.  In the mood for sushi, my parents had gone out to a Japanese restaurant downtown that's on a lake.   The hostess starts leading them to a table by a window which was nice and clean, but my parents decide they want one of the tables where you kneel to eat at a low table behind bamboo screens.  There were only two of these, I believe (I've been to this restaurant) and the hostess says "Oh but this table is nice too!"

They kept trying and trying to get the table they wanted, and my dad says he wanted to see how many ways he could get her to say "no" without saying the word, before finally taking the seat they were offered.   ::)  I felt so bad for that poor waitress.  And he thought he was oh so funny and clever.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata