Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5273302 times)

amylouky

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #20745 on: April 29, 2013, 02:42:25 PM »
Amusing SS sighting, in the form of my brother in law..

BG, some of you may have read my posts about DH's younger brother, who is 27(ish), has had issues with drugs, won't stay in rehab or hold a job, is violent, and is perpetually being enabled by MIL.
DH called MIL a few days ago to ask about her sister, who just found out she has cancer.
MIL said that she thinks this experience has opened BIL's eyes, and related the following conversation they had a few days prior:

BIL: I can't believe Aunt has cancer.. really makes you think.
MIL: Yes, it does.. I'm sure it's scary for (aunt's daughter, who is around BIL's age)
BIL: Yeah.. I can't imagine if anything happened to you, I don't know what I'd do.
MIL: Well, you know I'm not getting any younger, you might want to think about that.
BIL: I don't know. I'm sure that (me and DH) wouldn't take me in.

At this point I had to stop DH's repeating because I was laughing too hard. He's absolutely right, there's no way we'd "take him in".. but what a SS attitude, that the normal "get a job, get a life, take care of yourself" concept is so far from his realm that he doesn't even consider it an option.
 ::)

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20746 on: April 29, 2013, 02:48:59 PM »

BG, some of you may have read my posts about DH's younger brother, who is 27(ish), has had issues with drugs, won't stay in rehab or hold a job, is violent, and is perpetually being enabled by MIL.
DH called MIL a few days ago to ask about her sister, who just found out she has cancer.
MIL said that she thinks this experience has opened BIL's eyes, and related the following conversation they had a few days prior:

MIL: Yes, it does.. I'm sure it's scary for (aunt's daughter, who is around BIL's age)
BIL: Yeah.. I can't imagine if anything happened to you, I don't know what I'd do.
MIL: Well, you know I'm not getting any younger, you might want to think about that.

At this point I had to stop DH's repeating because I was laughing too hard. He's absolutely right, there's no way we'd "take him in".. but what a SS attitude, that the normal "get a job, get a life, take care of yourself" concept is so far from his realm that he doesn't even consider it an option.

Please, please, please tell me your MIL answered, "You're right.  I'm sure they wouldn't!"

Maybe it would have given him a little incentive as to just maybe he should learn how to take care of himself? 

Nah. 

He'd have just tried to figure out who else might 'take him in'.   :-\

amylouky

« Reply #20747 on: April 29, 2013, 02:53:46 PM »

Please, please, please tell me your MIL answered, "You're right.  I'm sure they wouldn't!"

Maybe it would have given him a little incentive as to just maybe he should learn how to take care of himself? 

Nah. 

He'd have just tried to figure out who else might 'take him in'.   :-\

I think she did say, "You're probably right about that."  And yes, I'm sure that did just get BIL thinking as to who else he could get to replace MIL as his enabler/meal ticket.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #20748 on: April 29, 2013, 04:07:49 PM »
There was an SS women sitting behind me at a restaurant, discussing horses with a friend. She was mocking another horse owner who wanted to put up a memorial in a horse show stall, to mark the one year death of her horse. SS took great pleasure in  imitating her ("Wah wah, my horse is dead, I wanna honnnorrr himmm. What a dummy, it's just a horse. She's sooo stupid, who cares about her horse").  :(

snowdragon

« Reply #20749 on: April 29, 2013, 05:09:41 PM »
There was an SS women sitting behind me at a restaurant, discussing horses with a friend. She was mocking another horse owner who wanted to put up a memorial in a horse show stall, to mark the one year death of her horse. SS took great pleasure in  imitating her ("Wah wah, my horse is dead, I wanna honnnorrr himmm. What a dummy, it's just a horse. She's sooo stupid, who cares about her horse").  :(

This type of thing rates really high on my pet peeves.  You don't mock those that another person loves. no matter who or what they are.

Hillia

« Reply #20750 on: April 29, 2013, 05:15:47 PM »
Ah, my BIL.

BG: BIL was the golden child growing up.  He's older than DH by 3 years, and he got the first, best, and often the only of everything.  Cub Scouts?  IL's threw themselves into it for BIL, but 3 years later, they were 'burned out' on scouts, so DH never got a turn.  Etc.  Anything DH had, BIL took, and their parents made only half-hearted protests.  DH is very, very nonconfrontational by nature, and it was always just easier to give in, not argue, etc than to start a fight.  DH moved away from home when he was 21, met me shortly thereafter, and began building his own life and learning to be his own person.

In 2011, DH and BIL both enrolled in the same technical school.  BIL resumed his old patterns of behavior, taking DH's shop supplies, talking down to him, etc.  DH mainly gritted his teeth and got through it, although he did push back a bit, much to BIL's surprise and irritation.  After graduation BIL returned to live with their parents, and DH got a great job in a great location a few months later.  We've moved, just bought a house, and are very happy here.

One of their teachers recommended BIL to a man who owns a business in the field that they trained in, about 2 states away from their homestate.  He's looking for someone to learn how to run the business, then buy it from him in a few years when he's ready to retire.  BIL wants DH and I to move up there with him so he won't be alone   ::).  DH turned him down, citing only that he loves his job and where we're living, not mentioning the toxic environment that BIL creates.  So now BIL is whining on Facebook and to anyone who'll listen about how he had his big chance but can't take it because - sigh - the support just isn't there.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #20751 on: April 29, 2013, 05:17:36 PM »
When I burst into spontaneous hysterical laughter on my upcoming LV trip I choose to blame y'all.

>:D

It was so bad when DH and I went 10 years ago that we started collecting call girl trading cards.  It became a game for us trying to get a complete set.  (Kinda like Pokeman...gotta get them all!)

We made a card game/drinking game out of it. It was pretty awesome... now I want to hunt up the rules.
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

Iris

« Reply #20752 on: April 29, 2013, 05:25:38 PM »
Ah, my BIL.

BG: BIL was the golden child growing up.  He's older than DH by 3 years, and he got the first, best, and often the only of everything.  Cub Scouts?  IL's threw themselves into it for BIL, but 3 years later, they were 'burned out' on scouts, so DH never got a turn.  Etc.  Anything DH had, BIL took, and their parents made only half-hearted protests.  DH is very, very nonconfrontational by nature, and it was always just easier to give in, not argue, etc than to start a fight.  DH moved away from home when he was 21, met me shortly thereafter, and began building his own life and learning to be his own person.

In 2011, DH and BIL both enrolled in the same technical school.  BIL resumed his old patterns of behavior, taking DH's shop supplies, talking down to him, etc.  DH mainly gritted his teeth and got through it, although he did push back a bit, much to BIL's surprise and irritation.  After graduation BIL returned to live with their parents, and DH got a great job in a great location a few months later.  We've moved, just bought a house, and are very happy here.

One of their teachers recommended BIL to a man who owns a business in the field that they trained in, about 2 states away from their homestate.  He's looking for someone to learn how to run the business, then buy it from him in a few years when he's ready to retire.  BIL wants DH and I to move up there with him so he won't be alone   ::).  DH turned him down, citing only that he loves his job and where we're living, not mentioning the toxic environment that BIL creates.  So now BIL is whining on Facebook and to anyone who'll listen about how he had his big chance but can't take it because - sigh - the support just isn't there.

:o :o :o
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #20753 on: April 29, 2013, 05:41:57 PM »
And by support he means hand outs.  Jerk.   >:(

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20754 on: April 29, 2013, 05:47:08 PM »
And by support he means hand outs.  Jerk.   >:(

And free labor.  After all, if BIL is owner/management, why would he do the grunt work?

Hillia

« Reply #20755 on: April 29, 2013, 05:55:13 PM »
Because I am a cynical, awful person, I also believe he is so anxious to have us up there because I make a nice salary.  We were fortunate that DH was able to attend trade school without having to take a part time job; my salary was enough to support us if we were careful.  I'm sure BIL sees that as 'Hillia has tons of money...that's really DHname's...and that means he OWES it to me if I need/want it'.  So, yeah.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #20756 on: April 29, 2013, 06:02:33 PM »
Has anyone managed to explain it to him that no one is taking away his chance?

rain

« Reply #20757 on: April 29, 2013, 08:13:24 PM »

saw one at the Wally World parkinglot yesterday - DH was driving, and a lady walked out in front of us without looking.  AFTER she was in front of the moving car/in the aisle she looked straight at DH and looked shocked - as if we'd appeared out of nowhere.
"oh we thank thee lord for the things we need, like the wind and the rain and the apple seed"

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #20758 on: April 29, 2013, 10:18:06 PM »

saw one at the Wally World parkinglot yesterday - DH was driving, and a lady walked out in front of us without looking.  AFTER she was in front of the moving car/in the aisle she looked straight at DH and looked shocked - as if we'd appeared out of nowhere.

I don't see that as a Special Snowflake. I see that as incredibly absentminded.

doodlemor

« Reply #20759 on: April 30, 2013, 12:00:54 AM »

This type of thing rates really high on my pet peeves.  You don't mock those that another person loves. no matter who or what they are.

Absolutely POD.

She might have thought that she was telling about the horse owner, but she told any listeners much more about herself with a comment like that.