Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5296276 times)

Miss Tickle

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #20760 on: April 30, 2013, 01:27:50 AM »
Because I am a cynical, awful person, I also believe he is so anxious to have us up there because I make a nice salary.  We were fortunate that DH was able to attend trade school without having to take a part time job; my salary was enough to support us if we were careful.  I'm sure BIL sees that as 'Hillia has tons of money...that's really DHname's...and that means he OWES it to me if I need/want it'.  So, yeah.

Ah, yes. The "You have more money than me so you owe me." snowflake.

"Della" was married to "Reese", DH's cousin. Della wanted to be a Party Planner back before I knew that was a thing.  Della wanted my "support". I said, Sure! Sounds like a great idea! Go for it! But that wasn't what she meant.

I suppported her first effort with many hours of labour and $250.00 in expenses with the promise of repayment upon completion of the party. After she said she didn't make enough to pay me back so she offered to plan my upcoming Halloween party.

I found strange resistance from her that I expected to fund the entire cost and not charge my guests. She flaked on meeting after meeting but I heard lots of I have planned, I'm doing, or I'll be bringing... when I could catch her on the phone.
I organized the decorations, food, drinks and entertainment myself, with her "blessing".

The day comes and Della, Reese and two couples they invited arrive about an hour before the party. I thought they were Della's help.  I was soon disabused of that idea. They brought with them a large pinata.

She was shocked that we'd decorated.  She was upset that all the food was purchased and prepped. She was irritated that we'd already bought all the alcohol (I got the feeling she was expecting to be handed a substantial amount of cash at the onset).

But most of all she needed a little more time to finish the pinata she brought. Della disappeared to the back room to finish and DH's cousin and both guys went out for a smoke only to come back after the guests started to arrive.  One of the girls, the Hooker with a heart of gold (she had a big gold heart pinned on her skimpy little outfit), asked if there was any other food. The other if we had anything "else" to drink after the offer of water or a soft-drink, since, you know I thought they were working with the "party planner". She gladly helped herself to the bar.

The party was legendary. The pinata was a disaster.  The Hansen Brothers got into a fight with each other and Jabba the Hutt got stuck in a hallway with the Green Party. Cops were dancing with bikers.  Osama and Bush were hugging. Pandemonium, I tell you.

As the party wound down the Pimp/Hooker and the other two (Waiters? Goths? Ninja?) approached, wanting me to PAY THEM for "working" from the time they got there. I counter-offered to pay their cab fare home and boy were they mad to find out I had an account and wouldn't be giving them cash. Della and Reese slept it off in the back room.  In the morning we took them out for breakfast and Della handed me an invoice.

The invoice said: party planning - staff - custom pinata. Less 280 paid. total $500.00 payable now."

I paid $250.00 for a pinata I didn't ask for, and from then until we stopped seeing them, whenever anyone asked what Della "did", she'd say she was going to be a Party Planner, but she didn't get any support, and look mournfully at us, but at least she never again asked for my "support".

snoopygirl

• everybody loves an irish girl
« Reply #20761 on: April 30, 2013, 07:16:26 AM »
The other day I saw a guy who was a special snowflake and really clueless to boot. DH and I were going shopping at the local shopping centre that has an underground car park. There is a ramp that goes down to this with two  lanes both clearly marked exit and entrance ( and it's marked on both sides).  We of course were going through the lane marked entrance. As was the guy  exiting the car park. I have no idea why but he was lucky we were driving slow. DH could have hit him ( head on) if we were going any faster and didn't see him. Hubby honked his horn and the guy switched lanes after giving us a smile and a wave. Why he did that I have no idea. I  just glad we had time  for him to get out of our way and there were no cars behind us that would have had to stop suddenly.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20762 on: April 30, 2013, 09:45:05 AM »
This fits somewhere between SS and Cheapskate threads.  It's also criminal.

We visited family in a University town during move-in week.  We stayed at our usual hotel near the campus.  On this visit, we experienced something we never had before and couldn't even imagine.

In the middle of our stay, a hotel employee came to our room to do a 'chair inventory'.  It seemed odd but we figured it out and when we did we were appalled.

The hotel had very nice desk chairs and arm chairs in the rooms. It would be quite easy for two young, strong men to carry a chair down the back stairwell, load it into a van in the parking lot and take it away to an off-campus student residence. 

We asked a front desk person about this and learned that the theft of chairs was common enough that the inventory had to be taken during move-in week.  The chairs in our room were nice because they had to be replaced so often. That was also why the rates during move-in week were higher than usual.   

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #20763 on: April 30, 2013, 10:20:31 AM »

We visited family in a University town during move-in week.  We stayed at our usual hotel near the campus.  On this visit, we experienced something we never had before and couldn't even imagine.

In the middle of our stay, a hotel employee came to our room to do a 'chair inventory'.  It seemed odd but we figured it out and when we did we were appalled.

The hotel had very nice desk chairs and arm chairs in the rooms. It would be quite easy for two young, strong men to carry a chair down the back stairwell, load it into a van in the parking lot and take it away to an off-campus student residence. 

We asked a front desk person about this and learned that the theft of chairs was common enough that the inventory had to be taken during move-in week.  The chairs in our room were nice because they had to be replaced so often. That was also why the rates during move-in week were higher than usual.   

Did you get a rebate if the chairs were still there after you checked out?
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #20764 on: April 30, 2013, 10:27:56 AM »
DH's friend Sam is dating a very special snowflake, Jill. Jill is an inveterate speeder; she claims she simply can't help herself from driving waaaaaaay over the speed limit. She currently has 5 points on her license and it will be suspended if she gets one more. To reduce her points, she signed up for an online driver safety course. But she can't be bothered to actually take the course, so Sam is taking it for her.  :o
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

MrTango

« Reply #20765 on: April 30, 2013, 10:41:24 AM »
DH's friend Sam is dating a very special snowflake, Jill. Jill is an inveterate speeder; she claims she simply can't help herself from driving waaaaaaay over the speed limit. She currently has 5 points on her license and it will be suspended if she gets one more. To reduce her points, she signed up for an online driver safety course. But she can't be bothered to actually take the course, so Sam is taking it for her.  :o

I wonder what would happen to her license if the state/county finds out that she committed fraud?

Shalamar

« Reply #20766 on: April 30, 2013, 11:14:24 AM »
Speaking of SS Drivers, I'm pretty sure that the guy my husband and I saw yesterday qualifies.  He zoomed through a stop sign at top speed on a quiet residential street, almost hitting us.  The kicker was that he didn't even notice us, because he was too busy chatting on his cell phone (which is illegal in our city) and rummaging around on the passenger seat for something. 

Calistoga

« Reply #20767 on: April 30, 2013, 11:23:49 AM »
That's not a special snowflake, that's a stupid snowflake.

I run in to a lot of SS's who don't understand that they have to yield at yield signs. My SIL blows through them and says it's because "I always get to the sign before the other people do." That's still not what yield means darn it.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20768 on: April 30, 2013, 11:35:32 AM »

The hotel had very nice desk chairs and arm chairs in the rooms. It would be quite easy for two young, strong men to carry a chair down the back stairwell, load it into a van in the parking lot and
take it away to an off-campus student residence. 

We asked a front desk person about this and learned that the theft of chairs was common enough that the inventory had to be taken during move-in week.  The chairs in our room were nice because
they had to be replaced so often. That was also why the rates during move-in week were higher than usual.   

Did you get a rebate if the chairs were still there after you checked out?

No, we didn't get a rebate and we didn't want one.  We just considered this an educational exercise about How College life is regarded by some students and their parents. 

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #20769 on: April 30, 2013, 11:41:40 AM »
America’s Worst Drivers did a show in Seattle. One of the drivers said that if there is a white line around the stop sign, that means it is optional!  That has become a running joke in the family.

heartmug

« Reply #20770 on: April 30, 2013, 11:47:33 AM »

And Sam is helping her to be that very special SS.  I would think any friend of mine with 5 points on their license needs to take their own class.
The trouble is not that the world is full of fools, it's just that lightening isn't distributed right.  - Mark Twain

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #20771 on: April 30, 2013, 11:55:26 AM »

And Sam is helping her to be that very special SS.  I would think any friend of mine with 5 points on their license needs to take their own class.

Yes, he's the worst kind of enabler. She could injure or kill someone and it would be partly his fault for helping her stay on the road when she shouldn't be.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20772 on: April 30, 2013, 12:30:51 PM »
Bexx27 wrote:

"Yes, he's the worst kind of enabler. She could injure or kill someone and it would be partly his fault for helping her stay on the road when she shouldn't be."

I agree.  Drop a dime on them both and you won't have to worry about how either of them drive for quite some time.

Virg

Shalamar

« Reply #20773 on: April 30, 2013, 12:53:19 PM »
Speaking of speeding, my ex-husband once came home from a road trip, and he was laughing his head off as he got out of his car.  "What's so funny?" I asked.  Still chuckling, he handed me a speeding ticket.  It was for $250, which - at the time - was roughly one-quarter of my monthly salary.  I was appalled and said "How fast were you going, for goodness' sake?"  "180 kph," he answered (which was probably about 70 kph over the limit).  "WHAT?  WHY?"  "I wanted to see how fast my new car could go, and boy, it was great!"

He didn't even care.  He figured that $250 was a small price to pay for making his car go really fast.   ???

To be fair, he paid for it himself - but I kept thinking about how many groceries $250 could pay for, and I was FURIOUS.

crella

« Reply #20774 on: April 30, 2013, 07:40:27 PM »
That reminds me of my friend's DH who works for a tire company, R&D division.  They had a Ferrari in there for a few days and he took it out in the middle of the night and went to town on the Hanshin Expressway. He must have really opened it up, his fine was $700 and he lost his license for a couple of months. He didn't get fired, but his promotion was well past the date it should have occurred. His wife made him take the bus for the month (2 kilo walk to the bus stop and a change of buses to get to work).