Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5757700 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #20760 on: April 30, 2013, 10:20:31 AM »
This fits somewhere between SS and Cheapskate threads.  It's also criminal.

We visited family in a University town during move-in week.  We stayed at our usual hotel near the campus.  On this visit, we experienced something we never had before and couldn't even imagine.

In the middle of our stay, a hotel employee came to our room to do a 'chair inventory'.  It seemed odd but we figured it out and when we did we were appalled.

The hotel had very nice desk chairs and arm chairs in the rooms. It would be quite easy for two young, strong men to carry a chair down the back stairwell, load it into a van in the parking lot and take it away to an off-campus student residence. 

We asked a front desk person about this and learned that the theft of chairs was common enough that the inventory had to be taken during move-in week.  The chairs in our room were nice because they had to be replaced so often. That was also why the rates during move-in week were higher than usual.   

Did you get a rebate if the chairs were still there after you checked out?
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #20761 on: April 30, 2013, 10:27:56 AM »
DH's friend Sam is dating a very special snowflake, Jill. Jill is an inveterate speeder; she claims she simply can't help herself from driving waaaaaaay over the speed limit. She currently has 5 points on her license and it will be suspended if she gets one more. To reduce her points, she signed up for an online driver safety course. But she can't be bothered to actually take the course, so Sam is taking it for her.  :o
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

MrTango

« Reply #20762 on: April 30, 2013, 10:41:24 AM »
DH's friend Sam is dating a very special snowflake, Jill. Jill is an inveterate speeder; she claims she simply can't help herself from driving waaaaaaay over the speed limit. She currently has 5 points on her license and it will be suspended if she gets one more. To reduce her points, she signed up for an online driver safety course. But she can't be bothered to actually take the course, so Sam is taking it for her.  :o

I wonder what would happen to her license if the state/county finds out that she committed fraud?

Shalamar

« Reply #20763 on: April 30, 2013, 11:14:24 AM »
Speaking of SS Drivers, I'm pretty sure that the guy my husband and I saw yesterday qualifies.  He zoomed through a stop sign at top speed on a quiet residential street, almost hitting us.  The kicker was that he didn't even notice us, because he was too busy chatting on his cell phone (which is illegal in our city) and rummaging around on the passenger seat for something. 

Calistoga

« Reply #20764 on: April 30, 2013, 11:23:49 AM »
That's not a special snowflake, that's a stupid snowflake.

I run in to a lot of SS's who don't understand that they have to yield at yield signs. My SIL blows through them and says it's because "I always get to the sign before the other people do." That's still not what yield means darn it.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20765 on: April 30, 2013, 11:35:32 AM »
This fits somewhere between SS and Cheapskate threads.  It's also criminal.

We visited family in a University town during move-in week.  We stayed at our usual hotel near the campus.  On this visit, we experienced something we never had before and couldn't even imagine.

In the middle of our stay, a hotel employee came to our room to do a 'chair inventory'.  It seemed odd but we figured it out and when we did we were appalled.

The hotel had very nice desk chairs and arm chairs in the rooms. It would be quite easy for two young, strong men to carry a chair down the back stairwell, load it into a van in the parking lot and
take it away to an off-campus student residence. 

We asked a front desk person about this and learned that the theft of chairs was common enough that the inventory had to be taken during move-in week.  The chairs in our room were nice because
they had to be replaced so often. That was also why the rates during move-in week were higher than usual.   

Did you get a rebate if the chairs were still there after you checked out?

No, we didn't get a rebate and we didn't want one.  We just considered this an educational exercise about How College life is regarded by some students and their parents. 

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #20766 on: April 30, 2013, 11:41:40 AM »
America’s Worst Drivers did a show in Seattle. One of the drivers said that if there is a white line around the stop sign, that means it is optional!  That has become a running joke in the family.

heartmug

« Reply #20767 on: April 30, 2013, 11:47:33 AM »

And Sam is helping her to be that very special SS.  I would think any friend of mine with 5 points on their license needs to take their own class.
One option in a tug of war with someone is just to drop the rope.

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #20768 on: April 30, 2013, 11:55:26 AM »

And Sam is helping her to be that very special SS.  I would think any friend of mine with 5 points on their license needs to take their own class.

Yes, he's the worst kind of enabler. She could injure or kill someone and it would be partly his fault for helping her stay on the road when she shouldn't be.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20769 on: April 30, 2013, 12:30:51 PM »
Bexx27 wrote:

"Yes, he's the worst kind of enabler. She could injure or kill someone and it would be partly his fault for helping her stay on the road when she shouldn't be."

I agree.  Drop a dime on them both and you won't have to worry about how either of them drive for quite some time.

Virg

Shalamar

« Reply #20770 on: April 30, 2013, 12:53:19 PM »
Speaking of speeding, my ex-husband once came home from a road trip, and he was laughing his head off as he got out of his car.  "What's so funny?" I asked.  Still chuckling, he handed me a speeding ticket.  It was for $250, which - at the time - was roughly one-quarter of my monthly salary.  I was appalled and said "How fast were you going, for goodness' sake?"  "180 kph," he answered (which was probably about 70 kph over the limit).  "WHAT?  WHY?"  "I wanted to see how fast my new car could go, and boy, it was great!"

He didn't even care.  He figured that $250 was a small price to pay for making his car go really fast.   ???

To be fair, he paid for it himself - but I kept thinking about how many groceries $250 could pay for, and I was FURIOUS.

crella

« Reply #20771 on: April 30, 2013, 07:40:27 PM »
That reminds me of my friend's DH who works for a tire company, R&D division.  They had a Ferrari in there for a few days and he took it out in the middle of the night and went to town on the Hanshin Expressway. He must have really opened it up, his fine was $700 and he lost his license for a couple of months. He didn't get fired, but his promotion was well past the date it should have occurred. His wife made him take the bus for the month (2 kilo walk to the bus stop and a change of buses to get to work).

snowdragon

« Reply #20772 on: April 30, 2013, 08:22:39 PM »
I  am nominating one of the fathers in my neighborhood. His kid ( about 9 or 10)  opened his car door into traffic - did not bother to look or anything and tried to hop out, directly in front of me. I tapped on the horn as I swerved into the ( mercifully free) on coming traffic lane and looked over at the car - only to see the father give me an obscene gesture. The guy got out screaming that I was going to kill his kid and I needed to watch where I was going because "he lives here and should be safe on HIS street."  - sigh. That kid needs to learn not open doors into traffic and look before he gets out before he does it when there is no room for the driver to move - or stop.

kitkatswing

« Reply #20773 on: May 01, 2013, 12:32:31 AM »
When I burst into spontaneous hysterical laughter on my upcoming LV trip I choose to blame y'all.

>:D

It was so bad when DH and I went 10 years ago that we started collecting call girl trading cards.  It became a game for us trying to get a complete set.  (Kinda like Pokeman...gotta get them all!)
Nice to know DH & I aren't the only one who play that game!

Sorry had to chime in here...

But us as well!!! We have a HUGE stack of them....

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #20774 on: May 01, 2013, 12:45:57 AM »
Today my wife and I were driving to the doctor's office. 

On the trip there:

1.  A number of cars were coming from an exit to merge onto the freeway, so as usual we changed one lane to the left so that the mergers could merge without factoring in our car since the road was clear behind us.  One merging driver sped up and started crossing the lanes at a 45 degree or so angle so they could get into the far left lane, when they entered our lane they would have plowed into us if my wife had not slammed on the brakes.  As it was, they missed our car by inches.  They then traveled in the carpool lane for a bit.  Until they realized the very next exit after the one they had entered on was the exit they wanted to take so they started crossing the lanes at a 45 degree or so angle back to the right.

2.  3 separate cars decided to try and change lanes on top of us.  Not "oops you were in my blind spot." but "Hey, I just won't bother to even look because I'm texting or on my phone."

When we got to the doctor my blood pressure was very high.