Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5299358 times)

bopper

• Super Hero!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #20790 on: May 01, 2013, 09:13:31 AM »

After church, I mentioned to DH that it would have been better if one of our ushers approached the family and asked them to take the baby to the quiet room.  DH said that would be unkind and could turn that whole family away from attending the church.  I said OK, but what about Emily and her family, who we've all known for years?  Shouldn't we be concerned about their feelings, too?  I called the baby's family special snowflakes.  DH said they weren't, and maybe the mother was just nervous about leaving the baby in the baby nursery.  I said that would be fine, she could still go to the quiet room out of consideration to the rest of the congregation - even if there wasn't important ceremony going on.  It's polite to take a baby out of a quiet setting when he or she is crying.  He says that's not very welcoming.

So what say you?
They should have moved the child to the quiet room. When they didn't either the ushers or the minister should have told them to take the child out. I hope at the very least the minister or someone from the church makes it clear in the future crying babies should be removed.

I agree with this.  If they are asked politely and kindly to have someone take the child outside until the child has calmed down, there is no reason why they should have their feelings hurt or feel unwelcome.

And if they did get their feelings hurt or feel unwelcome, then they may not be the right fit for this particular church community. Asking someone to take a disruptive child away from a solemn ceremony is not, in any way, shape or form, out of line. If a simple request to respect the rest of the community puts their knickers in a twist, what else will they do?

Oh, the stories I could tell about entitled parents and screaming kids in a church...

I guess i have an awesome church because just the other day the pastor's  daughter who is like 2 was at the service with the pastor's wife. She (daugther) was making babbly 2 year old sounds...no problem...but when the babbly turned into constant almost whinyness then whhhhoooosh the pastor's wife whisked her out of there.  Perfect balance of babies "making a joyful noise" and disturbing the sermon.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20791 on: May 01, 2013, 09:15:52 AM »
The people who stop in the middle of the street and honk repeatedly till the person they're picking up comes out of their house.  It's annoying at any part of the day, but especially when they do it after 8.  Park the dingdangity car, get out and go to the door.  If they have time to sit there and honk repeatedly, they have the time to go up to the darned door, for pity's sake!

I hate this. There's someone who picks up someone else in my complex, and they will sit there and honk. when the apt can't even see out to where the car is, so no way of knowing who is actually honking! is someone is picking me up, i am outside waiting for them

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #20792 on: May 01, 2013, 09:24:40 AM »
We have an area near a classroom building that has a very narrow one way lane allowing people to get to the disabled parking and official vehicle parking. There are signs stating no stopping/standing/parking/drop-offs there, because there is no way around. The only way for people dropping off others to get back out involves pulling into a disabled parking space (where they need a permit) to turn around. It was so bad the last three weeks of this semester, I wish the police would issue tickets for all the people dropping off! Bad enough already, but they seem to take their time getting out of the car, saying goodbye, and giving departing hugs.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20793 on: May 01, 2013, 09:26:06 AM »
Piratebabe is usually pretty good once he's brought into the church from the nursery, just babbling quietly but the other day he came back of a mind to make some joyful noises, that echoed.  ::) :-[

There was no whining until the very end, after the hymn and final salutation so I had no problem slipping out the side rather than standing in the aisle to shake hands with the priest.

Afterwards people joked "He ought to join the choir!" or "I enjoyed the extra music today!" as well as people sharing stories of their toddlers making a scene, like one who said his daughter ran out of the church and into the Catholic church next door during their service. 

Note to self, bring snacks and his binky next time. I've been trying to wean him off it during the day but I think once a week for about 15 minutes I can make an exception.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Margo

« Reply #20794 on: May 01, 2013, 02:33:07 PM »
The people who stop in the middle of the street and honk repeatedly till the person they're picking up comes out of their house.  It's annoying at any part of the day, but especially when they do it after 8.  Park the dingdangity car, get out and go to the door.  If they have time to sit there and honk repeatedly, they have the time to go up to the darned door, for pity's sake!

I hate this. There's someone who picks up someone else in my complex, and they will sit there and honk. when the apt can't even see out to where the car is, so no way of knowing who is actually honking! is someone is picking me up, i am outside waiting for them

Oh , we get this, too. There is one guy who does it every morning - I assume he is picking up someone to take to work. It's mostly when I'm leaving for work myself, but it's early enough that there must be people still in bed...  the family across the street seem to have lots of visitors/friends who do the same, often late at night. They tend to have really loud, raucous conversations in the street when they get home, too. >:(

Iris

« Reply #20795 on: May 01, 2013, 05:22:31 PM »
One at the dog park the other day. This is a designated off leash area and generally all the dogs play really well together. My dog loves it. Except for one poor dog with a SS owner who can't be bothered to train or supervise it properly. The dog was still at that full-grown-but-puppy stage where it likes to 'rough play'. Although this is a normal stage MOST puppies grow out of it when older dogs teach them that they Don't Like It. I had already called my dog away from this other dog once because the other dog just wouldn't get out of his face and the owner was nowhere to be seen. I also saw several other dogs get annoyed with this dog.

Anyway, we had then moved right over to the other side of the park to avoid problems when who should come bounding up but this dog, again. He then proceeded to do that "I'm going to growl push you to the ground and bite your neck" play thing that some younger dogs like. My dog responded with a firm "Get off me!" that I could tell might move to a nip if this dog didn't back off. Not wanting to deal with that hassle I called my dog to me and held his collar and tried to put my body between him and the other dog. Which would just not go away. His SS owner looked up from his conversation, saw what was happening and then just kept chatting. I actually assumed that his owner was nowhere around because the people I could see were not reacting so I thought they mustn't have anything to do with this dog.

After a good full minute though, he finally deigned to stroll over and do something about his dog, and then said quite snootily "He's only playing you know" like I was just an hysterical woman who was panicking over nothing. I replied in as icy a voice as I could muster under the circumstances "Yes, but my dog is older and doesn't like it. Older dogs don't." Honestly, the guy was too stupid to realise that I was actually trying to *protect* his dog. I'm betting he'll be the first to complain when another dog bites his, which is what is going to happen if he doesn't control it a bit better.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #20796 on: May 01, 2013, 06:13:58 PM »
There was an SS women sitting behind me at a restaurant, discussing horses with a friend. She was mocking another horse owner who wanted to put up a memorial in a horse show stall, to mark the one year death of her horse. SS took great pleasure in  imitating her ("Wah wah, my horse is dead, I wanna honnnorrr himmm. What a dummy, it's just a horse. She's sooo stupid, who cares about her horse").  :(
My disabled husband's beloved therapy horse, Novalee, died January 11, 2013 of neurological failure (maybe stroke or brain tumor).  I tear up every time I think of how devastated he was when she went down and we knew she was on her way out.  He didn't cry that hard when his father died, but then Novalee was much nicer to him than his father ever was.  Fortunately, we are surrounded by people who value our equine companions and understand the depths of despair when we lose them.  As you can tell, this is still a very sensitive subject for me.  Maybe after she's been gone a year we will be able to think about Novalee without crying.

I don't even want to contemplate what EvilMidnightKitty would do to a SS woman who would mock another person's tribute to their beloved equine companion.  It wouldn't be pretty and probably not legal. :-[ That's why we keep EvilMidnightKitty securely locked up.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

mmswm

« Reply #20797 on: May 01, 2013, 06:27:54 PM »
US 1 through south Miami Dade County (south of the city of Miami itself) is an extremely busy 4-6 lane "surface" street.  It's always extremely congested.  This is important background information.

So, I'm driving home today and need to cross US 1.  There's SS IOwnTheRoad walking across 6 lanes of traffic, talking on her cell phone, not paying the slightest bit of attention to the few hundred cars trying to use the road during 5PM traffic.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #20798 on: May 01, 2013, 06:34:24 PM »
::)

saw one at the Wally World parkinglot yesterday - DH was driving, and a lady walked out in front of us without looking.  AFTER she was in front of the moving car/in the aisle she looked straight at DH and looked shocked - as if we'd appeared out of nowhere.

I don't see that as a Special Snowflake. I see that as incredibly absentminded.
Sometimes it is; Sometimes it isn't. 

I've been in the WW parking lot in town where the aisles are a single car wide and switchback without outlet.  You can't go around someone pulling out of the diagonal stalls.  There is always an incredibly long queue of cars snaking up and down the aisles.  Then there are the SS people who are proud that they have more time than money, so can afford to mosey slowly down the middle of the aisle because all those cars can just wait.  Honking is not Hawaiian, so they get away with it.

The absentminded usually clue in eventually and look embarrassed when they realize they are holding up 20 cars.  The SS don't look embarrassed; They look proud of their ability to make you wait for them. >:(
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #20799 on: May 01, 2013, 06:41:06 PM »
BIL: Yeah.. I can't imagine if anything happened to you, I don't know what I'd do.
MIL: Well, you know I'm not getting any younger, you might want to think about that.
BIL: I don't know. I'm sure that (me and DH) wouldn't take me in.
Sounds like my youngest BIL (Y-BIL).  He lives with MIL.  She's getting on in years and her health is not good.  Y-BIL thinks that his 2 older brothers will let him have MIL's condo - her only asset - when she passes.  It's paid for and he thinks he will only have to pay maintenance fees.  DH thinks they can ask Y-BIL to give them each a little bit of rent each month to pay them back for their interest in the condo.  I asked if the older brothers are willing to evict Y-BIL when he "can't pay the rent."  Otherwise, you guys might as well give it to him.

Y-BIL only works enough to get along and is always trying to find an easy way to get by.  If he doesn't have to pay rent, he'll work less.  I predict rent would only be paid occasionally, at best.  Y-BIL thinks he deserves to inherit the condo because his older brothers already own their homes.  Yep, the old "you worked hard to earn money and I deserve it" argument. ::)

Marcus Aurelius

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #20800 on: May 01, 2013, 06:46:27 PM »
Last night we were driving down the main drag in Waikiki - a 4 lane one way street.  SS Driver decided to make a right turn into 4 lanes of oncoming traffic, which included us.  All 4 lanes came to a complete stop while SS Driver drove up the wrong way and turned into a side street.  I guess he didn't want to have to go around the block like the rest of us mere mortals.

I made almost the same mistake 35 years ago in San Francisco.  My first time driving in The City.  My first encounter with one-way streets.  I was at a stop sign.  Someone had stolen the one-way signs.  There was no oncoming traffic, so I turned.  Then the light turned green and I was looking at 4 lanes of oncoming traffic led by a black and white police car.  I pulled over and cried.  I was 17 years old and he believed that it was an honest error compounded by missing traffic signs.  He did not ticket me and helped me get turned around.

So again - it could be an honest mistake or it could be a SS.  When the driver sees the traffic coming at him (or her) and continues because they want to go where they want to go - that makes them a SS in my book.

Marcus Aurelius

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #20801 on: May 01, 2013, 10:35:24 PM »

I've witnessed people stopping in the middle of a four lane road, usually on the lane closest to center, then have their friends walk up to them from the sidewalk.  I can't stop thinking one of them will get hit...

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #20802 on: May 01, 2013, 11:22:11 PM »
The BILs in previous posts are amateurs compared to my brother “Randy”. 

Randy has always been the favored child, partly because he’s the oldest male and partly because he supposedly needs more than my sister and I.  My parents believe that Randy is a genius and make a huge deal about every little thing he does.

My parents subsidized Randy while he worked a menial job, which he decided to quit during the worst of the recession, to focus on his music  ::).  They were supporting him completely until Dad went into a nursing home and Mom had a stroke that requires her to have 24-hour care.  Rather than have all the parent’s remaining assets go to a second nursing home, Randy moved in with her.

That was three years ago.  Randy now has title to the paid-for house, a new car, and complete access to my mother’s income and investments.  When the parents are gone, Randy will inherit everything.    Sister and I can “take care of ourselves”. 

Sister and I spend thousands of dollars a year buying items for my parents that Randy just can’t get around to buying.  In two days, Randy will lose $25,000 because he’s too damned lazy to return an insurance form (he’s had two years). 

Randy is very very special.

It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

Ginger G

« Reply #20803 on: May 02, 2013, 09:36:00 AM »
I have been a licensed driver for almost 30 years, and yesterday I had the most terrifying experience I have ever had while driving.  I'm not sure if Special Snowflake can even remotely describe this other driver, but since this is a good place for horrible driving stories, I'll put it here.

I left work early to pick up one of my cats from the specialty vet clinic.  He had a surgical procedure, nothing life threatning, but still surgery, so he was not feeling his best.  This is one reason why this experience was even worse for me than it would have been otherwise.

On the way home, I'm driving on the interstate and come to a part where two lanes kind of fork to the right, and three lanes go straight into the downtown part of my city.  I'm in the left lane of the right fork, when all of a sudden a car directly to my left in one of the going straight lanes decides to change over into my lane, right on top of me.  I see him coming, and in a panic, lay on my horn.  Usually when this happens, the other driver realizes their error and immediately corrects back into their lane.  Not this guy, he just keeps coming over.  Fortunately, no one was in the lane to my right so I immediately get over trying to get away from the other car and avoid being hit.

I am angry, needless to say, but still willing to chalk it up to an error in judgment by the other driver.  Then, the next thing I know, here he comes into my lane again!  Of course I'm blowing my horn like mad, but it doesn't matter, he still just comes over, literally forcing me off the road onto the shoulder/emergency breakdown lane!  Thank goodness there wasn't a broken down car or debris in this section, because I had to drive on the shoulder for several seconds (seemed like so much longer though) until I could get on the road again.  At this point the other driver is behind me.  I am convinced that there was no way the second time was an accident.  I really do think they forced me off the road on purpose.  I decide to call the police because this kind of driving could have easily killed me (and my cat!).  I slow down to try to get the other car to go around me so I can get their license plate #.  As they come up beside me in the middle lane, I see the passenger window is down.  I'm not proud of this part, but I rolled my window down and as they drew up alongside of me, I see that it's two men and they are SMIRKING at me!  I lose it even more and screamed some words at them that I can't repeat here.  They get in front of me, and I grab my cell phone to call the police.  Well, guess what...they don't have a regular license tag, it's a paper dealer tag so here they are driving around like lunatics in a brand new car!  At this point there is an exit ramp, which they conveniently get off on.  I don't know if that's where they were going to get off anyway or if they saw me with my cell phone and thought I might be calling the cops.  For a moment, I considered following them, not to confront them, but to at least get the make and model of the car to make a report.  The ONLY reason I didn't is because I had my cat with me, and I figured he had already been through enough that day.

I got home and called my BF, I was pretty much in hysterics and needless to say it took a while for me to calm down last night.

*new*mommyagain36

« Reply #20804 on: May 02, 2013, 10:28:48 AM »
Ginger C's posting reminded me of the time a motorcycle pulled directly in front of my car.  I'm driving along and out of the corner of my right eye I see a motorcycle approaching the stop sign at the end of a little side street, then he just comes right out, directly in front of me.  I'm telling you, I was sure I was going to hit him.  He was so close I could clearly see his license plate (very small on bikes) and I don't even remember hitting the breaks.  I just layed on the horn,  screamed "Noooooooooo" and basically preparing myself for the impact, closed my eyes - there was no way I wanted to see what I was 100% sure was about to occur.  A moment passed, no impact, I opened my eyes to see him just tooling along as if that horrific almost-collision hadn't just happened.  And he then creeped along slowly for miles.  I was on my cell phone instantly to the police, describing the driver and bike and location.  After a few miles he happened to look back at me and then turned left onto another side street (without a blinker) and I told the dispatcher exactly where he was headed.  I didn't follow him though.  It was an absolutely sickening, horrifying, maddening situation and I was shaken about it for hours.  I still get a sick feeling in my gut when I talk about it.  I wonder if he didn't realize what had almost happened or if he just did not care.  And I am not in any way prejudice to motorcycle drivers.  We ride and a lot of our friends and family do too.  We also lost a dear grandfather because a driver slammed into him while out on his bike.
"Oh people can come up with statistics to prove anything.  14% of people know that" - Homer Simpson